The Ultimate FX Thread

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: The Ultimate FX ThreadReply
The Ultimate FX Thread
Posted on: 19.11.2012 by Valeri Millstein
Introduction and Goals of "The Ultimate FX Thread"

This thread is going to be dedicated to posting an evolving list of FX parameters. Anyone who has any custom instant press, Super Fader, Super Knob or Jog FX mappings, please post them on here so others can learn how to map FX and eventually create their own. Thanks, lets hope this gets good feedback!

This thread now contains all of the Instant Gratification parameters!
Soon to have Jog FX parameters!

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

Post 2: Instant Press FX, Instant Grat

Post 3: Smart Knobs

Post 4: Jog Wheels

Post 5: Specials

Post 6: TSI Files
Valery Ellick
Originally Posted by Stewe
Looks like NI have beat me to it by adding INVERT option to modifier in 2.6.2
Stewe-
What are some scenarios where this feature will come in handy?
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by 0Notice
Wow... Thats pretty clever...
Looks like NI have beat me to it by adding INVERT option to modifier in 2.6.2
Valeri Millstein
Now duplicate this Invert 0 command and map to all buttons. Value should switch to 0 right on release.

Time to test
Wow... Thats pretty clever...
Kellie Myrum
Here's tutorial how to use modifier for the supercombos. The Beatmash combo parameters in this thread are actually applying only to one direction left>right but this modifier concept can improve that.

Pick four buttons.

Add a modifier / type=button / interaction=inc

Duplicate three times and assign commands to selected four buttons. Should look like this:

Now press and hold all four buttons and check modifier state display. Notice that your modifier state says value 4 (as in pic^) and that's because every button is programmed only to increase value by one no matter in which order or direction you're pressing buttons.

But,

When you release the buttons modifier value will got stuck at 4... And we want it to be 0 in order to use this combo again. This is how we do it:

Add a modifier / type=button / check invert.

Change interaction mode to direct and set value to 0.

Now duplicate this Invert 0 command and map to all buttons. Value should switch to 0 right on release.

Time to test
Kellie Myrum
Nope. I didn't post that. Just saying it is interesting combo to use for techno.

I'd also like to see what others can come up with or to hear what combos you believe are worth experimenting with certain music genre.
Werner Bile
I'v added a bit of reverb here. Kick it in on ramp triggers. More space.

Can you link the post?
post 117

it was your response to this post:
Originally Posted by jthightower45
Did some experimenting w/ Beatmasher 2 / LaserSlicer / Strrretch (slow) - All on the same FX unit in group mode.
LaserSlicer and Strrreth are both new marco FX in TP2.6.

D/W set at 100% (direct-hold)
Beatmasher w/ (4) buttons each launching parameter values at 50%, 70% 90%, & 100% (Hold-on)
LaserSlicer w/ a Fader controlling 50-0% of parameter value (inverted control)
Strrretch w/ a fader controlling 50-100% of paramerter value.
Faders have to be in realitve mode w/ sensitivity @70% and accelertion @0%
(1) Button (hold-on) to turn on both MacroFX. **Note MacroFX are not active if paramter value is at 50%.
Start w/ faders are all the way down and set LaserSlicer and Strretch at parameter value 50% initially before controlling.

Map it real quick and check it out. With the long range of a fader you can create some wicked sounds, machine like, can't really explain it but crazy.

Use the beatmasher at 90% then 100% to repeat a beat and build back into your track or just before a drop as you get close to 50% w/ MacroFX.

Quick vid Stewe?
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by MWagner
just wanted to add that using this effect on vocal loops running off the remix decks while playing minimal techno is freaking brilliant.
I'v added a bit of reverb here. Kick it in on ramp triggers. More space.

Originally Posted by MWagner
I happen to currently be looking for exactly that, instant button effects for techno. Did you post these anywhere?

thanks
Can you link the post?
Werner Bile
I did play with this effects combination but as instant button effects. Definitely suit great for techno.
I happen to currently be looking for exactly that, instant button effects for techno. Did you post these anywhere?

thanks
Werner Bile
This is an effect that Dubfire uses a lot. I believe it pretty cool for making transitions between tracks or for spicing up tracks on the fly.

Make sure to set FX Unit in to single effect mode

Button 1:
Unit On = hold
Button 2 = 0
Button 3 = 1
D/W = 0.550
Knob 1 = 0.700
Knob 2 = 0.350
Knob 3 = 0.500

Button 2:
Unit On = hold
Button 2 = 0
Button 3 = 1
D/W = 0.550
Knob 1 = 0.700
Knob 2 = 0.350
Knob 3 = 0.650

Button 3:
Unit On = hold
Button 2 = 0
Button 3 = 1
D/W = 0.550
Knob 1 = 0.700
Knob 2 = 0.350
Knob 3 = 0.800

Button 4:
Unit On = hold
Button 2 = 0
Button 3 = 1
D/W = 0.550
Knob 1 = 0.700
Knob 2 = 0.350
Knob 3 = 0.950
just wanted to add that using this effect on vocal loops running off the remix decks while playing minimal techno is freaking brilliant.
Delena Katherman
Ahhh! Got it. Thanks.
Kellie Myrum
No sound. I didn't do anything musically so I didn't record it. Just bank switching as title says.
Delena Katherman
Anyone else not getting sound in Stewe's video?
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by 0Notice
The enthusiasm is not lost Stewe!
That's good to hear!

Since I got my Spectra I started my custom mapping for traktor that I'm still working on. It's ultimate tool.

Here is mapping in first MF bank:

Valeri Millstein
@0notice

Can you keep this sticky updated with video content and parameters? What happen to enthusiasm?
I have just been extremely busy recently. Here I am going to spend some time fixing things up.

Edit:

Moved some stuff around and since I plan on having some free time I might make us a TSI file for the instant gratification parameters!

The enthusiasm is not lost Stewe!
Kellie Myrum
@0notice

Can you keep this sticky updated with video content and parameters? What happen to enthusiasm?
Lavinia Qualls
You are welcome dude! Feel free to post your mapping once you got it finished, I'd like to hear how your effects combos sound.

Also, If you have some parameters to share here is the right place to post them

All the best,
I was more planning of mapping all the stuff...use some combos posted here and there and make my experiments later (I have 3 kids so not much times left for me)
Lavinia Qualls
Originally Posted by Yul
3+ modifier conditions are already possible (3 is very easy), just create layers of modifiers (modifiers within modifiers, a matrix if you prefer).
Yeah cascading 2 modifier to achieve 64 state
or integrate 3 simple modifiers(2 state) into one modifier is pretty easy
but it adds commands line into the mapping so a 3rd slot and even 4th slot would be great

+ the conditions available right now are limited compared to what it could be ...I had to map a modifier to beat phase the flux on state to play/pause button would have been so easy to NI to integrate flux mode value in the condition list...
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Yul
3+ modifier conditions are already possible (3 is very easy), just create layers of modifiers (modifiers within modifiers, a matrix if you prefer).
I'm actually talking about another pair of this:

Kecia Wnukowski
Welcome to the club. It's been a three years since I repeat myself about increased number of modifiers and condition slots.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by thj17
Thanks for the reply Stewe...
I had a similar idea too about the modifier but it doesn't have all the power I wish...
Anyway thanks for all your time replying...this is only my 2nd mapping but I believe with some time I'll be able to go pretty deep in mapping
For your second mapping ever I'm pretty impressed! It's nice to see that someone who comes here to look for help on some more advanced shit then all the ordinary questions I've been seeing the most of time.

I whish traktor offers 3 mod slot + mode cond value...FX unit ON/off, Flux mode ON/off, etc...
+ if they could integrate what I asked in this thread... an ajustable range in the direct mode for fader/knob would be so powerful...
Welcome to the club. It's been a three years since I repeat myself about increased number of modifiers and condition slots. I even start to bore myself... Seems that NI care all about their HID integration and don't give much respect to keep up with current mapping needs for their users.

THANKS A LOT STEWE
You are welcome dude! Feel free to post your mapping once you got it finished, I'd like to hear how your effects combos sound.

Also, If you have some parameters to share here is the right place to post them

All the best,
Valeri Millstein
I whish traktor offers 3 mod slot + mode cond value...FX unit ON/off, Flux mode ON/off, etc...
+ if they could integrate what I asked in this thread... an ajustable range in the direct mode for fader/knob would be so powerful...
Agreed. Would be great.
Lavinia Qualls
Well I had same idea for my CNTRL:R mapping except for I didn't use any buttons. I've mapped a modifier to fader, but in the way that it jumps to value 1 only when fader is at 0% and soon as I move it up and all the way to 100% the value switches to 0. This means if I add i.e. FX parameter value 0.5 > map it to knob > dedicate modifier condition M=1...

I move fader all down (M=1) and as I start to bring it in the parameter start point has been activated. Then I have mapped all the relative controls to M=0. TADA

But setting that modifier behavior was pain and there isn't a steady recipe for it since not every controller has the same resolutions.

It save an effect snapshot. This command rule if you want for example two buttons to change effect, set value and activate different effects in same FX slot.
Thanks for the reply Stewe...
I had a similar idea too about the modifier but it doesn't have all the power I wish...
Anyway thanks for all your time replying...this is only my 2nd mapping but I believe with some time I'll be able to go pretty deep in mapping

I mapped my filter so it works to +85 to -85 instgead of +-100 (I like it that way better) but sometimes it drift if I use the knob in my other mode which is balance...and I'm stuck with something like +5 to 90 and +5 to -80 or something like that...So I will probably set it back to direct

THANKS A LOT STEWE
Kellie Myrum
Another TRAKTOR limitation I guess...
Well I had same idea for my CNTRL:R mapping except for I didn't use any buttons. I've mapped a modifier to fader, but in the way that it jumps to value 1 only when fader is at 0% and soon as I move it up and all the way to 100% the value switches to 0. This means if I add i.e. FX parameter value 0.5 > map it to knob > dedicate modifier condition M=1...

I move fader all down (M=1) and as I start to bring it in the parameter start point has been activated. Then I have mapped all the relative controls to M=0. TADA

But setting that modifier behavior was pain and there isn't a steady recipe for it since not every controller has the same resolutions.

Could someone explain what the FX STORE PRESET does exactly...how the events happens with or without it
after that I believe I'll be OK to restart working my mapping
It save an effect snapshot. This command rule if you want for example two buttons to change effect, set value and activate different effects in same FX slot.
Lavinia Qualls
You can use one button to set start values before using knob to manipulate effects but not the knob itself... Unless your controller is equipped with superfaders as I mentioned before.
OK thanks...
I know how to set start values with buttons but I had hopes that I could achieve something else kinda like the jog FX of the VCI-400SE (I looked at the mapping and when you turn on a jog FX you have your 3 effects set at values and you build from there with the encoder(JOG))

In my case it would have been 4 buttons and 4 dedicated knobs....instead of 4 buttons and 1 jog
I would have been able to go from a fully built effect to another one at which ever value I wanted...full to full or full to naught etc...

Another TRAKTOR limitation I guess...

Could someone explain what the FX STORE PRESET does exactly...how the events happens with or without it
after that I believe I'll be OK to restart working my mapping
Kellie Myrum
You can use one button to set start values before using knob to manipulate effects but not the knob itself... Unless your controller is equipped with superfaders as I mentioned before.
Lavinia Qualls
I believe that you need a peace of hardware such as MFpro that has superfaders which also sends a note at bottom as well as another note at the top of fader apart from standard CC. That way you could map gater to instantly jump to value 0.5 when you slam it all the way down and map your CC in relative mode so the parameter reaches 0.7 when you pull it all the way up.

Although, it could be that I didn't understand what you're trying to achieve..
What I try to achieve is something based on certain jog fx mapping I've seen...but I want to do that on a knob/fader instead of an encoder

d/w 0 to 1 (direct mode no problem here)
effect1 0.5 to 0.7 (relative)
effect2 0.2 to 1 (relative)
effect3 0 to 1 (direct mode no problem here)

My problem is that for full turn of a hardware knob I want a certain range of value
The only way I could figure it out is to use the relative mode and it works...
The problem is that i need to have the knob turn all the way down before activating the FX unit otherwise it moves my range values....
In other words what I would need is a direct mode but with ajustable range instead 0 to 1

IS there's something to do or is it a limitation to Traktor

Hope it's clearer than my previous post?

THANKS a lot for your help!!!
Kellie Myrum
I believe that you need a peace of hardware such as MFpro that has superfaders which also sends a note at bottom as well as another note at the top of fader apart from standard CC. That way you could map gater to instantly jump to value 0.5 when you slam it all the way down and map your CC in relative mode so the parameter reaches 0.7 when you pull it all the way up.

Although, it could be that I didn't understand what you're trying to achieve..
Lavinia Qualls
Hey guys!

I'm having a hard time with smart knobs....
Tried to search but with no succes (doesn't even know how to title this problem)

I totally understand the basic on how to map them...no problem here
My problem is that in order for them to work properly, I must engage them with the knobs set to 0 (full CCW)
What I would like to have is a mix between direct and relative knobs

Example:

FX unit 3 group mode controlled by a smart knob (activated by a button)

I kill the fx unit 3 with knob fully CCW (0.0) but kicks in back with full cw(1.0) (since the knob is also used in FX UNIT 1)
the d/w is set to direct so no problem here
but knobs 1,2,3 are in relative...here comes the mess, it destroys my settings
if for example knob 1 is gater and what I want is .5 to .7 from fully CCW to fully CW
if I turn off at .5 (fully ccw) and bring the unit on but with the knob fully CW...I am still at .5 so turning to left will decrease the value to about .3
but what I want is to have the setting automatically set to .7 if the knob is set to fully CW (I want the value to correspond with the hardware)

Maybe I'm missing something
Maybe it's the fonction that I don't understand "FX STORE PRESET"

I tough it had something to do with the checkbox "RESTORE PARAMETERS AFTER WHEN SWITCHING FX" but apparently from what I've tried toevening it has nothing to do with that

Can you help me!
Hope you understand my explanations!

THANKS a lot!
Kellie Myrum
Good to know. In my video the post fader has not been used.
Neoma Picklesimer
Oh, you got button 1 added with value 1!

Delete this command because all it does is to reset all the parameters in single FX mode. That should do it.
Works!

You got it on Insert or Post Fader?
Kellie Myrum
Oh, you got button 1 added with value 1!

Delete this command because all it does is to reset all the parameters in single FX mode. That should do it.
Neoma Picklesimer
Add in dry/wet or any knob command > set type of controller to BUTTON > set interaction mode to DIRECT > set a value for each parameter from list.

Sorry I didn't give explanation of this path but as I've posted many parameters here before and the most guys that are following this thread know some of mapping basics and how to get this stuff working.

Hope that helps.
Sorry for being a noob, but I've inserted the data for one button, but it doesnt work.
See pic for details.
What am i doing wrong?
Wilson Durrum
Use add OUT menu to choose LED output for any command.

Add Out > FX Unit > Unit On / set unit deck target
YOU ARE THE MAN!!! Thank you very much!
Kellie Myrum
Use add OUT menu to choose LED output for any command.

Add Out > FX Unit > Unit On / set unit deck target
Wilson Durrum
I just mapped an echo freeze effect on my DDJSX and it works great. Does anyone know how I can make the button illuminate when the effect is on?
Kellie Myrum
Add in dry/wet or any knob command > set type of controller to BUTTON > set interaction mode to DIRECT > set a value for each parameter from list.

Sorry I didn't give explanation of this path but as I've posted many parameters here before and the most guys that are following this thread know some of mapping basics and how to get this stuff working.

Hope that helps.
Neoma Picklesimer
Sweeet!
Profi sound, I like

But how do I make this work?
I mean, where do I put those knob values + d/w in?

Am I going the right way tho? See pic below:

ramp-delay.jpg
Valeri Millstein
I really like the delay grat. Sounds really good.
Kellie Myrum
Peak is D/W = 1.000 ; Knob = 1.000 and duplicate of same command with 'dec' mode (auto repeat check)

Beatmashers are all at D/W = 0.750 ; Button 1 = 0.500 ; Button 2 = 0.800 ; Button 3 = 0.900

Have fun
Lynetta Stanislav
Cool what the settings you have for it. cheers

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy