S4 - What to carry it in

S4 - What to carry it in
Posted on: 10.10.2010 by Julissa Serrone
Aside from the case meant for it, how do you guys plan on transporting your S4. I'm looking for a cool looking packpack that it will fit in, withough having to drop major bucks. Was looking at one of the old UDG bags, but I believe it's about an inch too small. Any ideas?
Julianna Riecken
anyone seen these or got one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Julianna Riecken
and this one... just about might fit it

Caribee Sky Master 40 Carry-On Bag
Julianna Riecken
Another option, wheeled and backpack, dimensions seem ok aswell, add a bit of sponge and looks a decent option

Caribee Sky Master 45 Luggage

http://www.surfdome.com/caribee_lugg..._-_black-59550
Hilda Coiner
Fusion looks too wide and not long enough. It just wasnt designed for the S4. I have some extra stuff, but not that much. The main point is protecting the s4 and keeping things small and light. I believe the DJTT bag wins hands down, from what I've seen.
Kena Herko
anyone used a decksaver with the Fusion bag? Just got my bag but was wondering if it would fit to add a bit of extra protection to my s4
Precious Pequignot
has any1 tried a chrome messenger bag yet?
Julianna Riecken
yeh, some people love it though, so be nice to see an overall opinion on whats available
Mariano Godina
I can tell you i got the magma gig bag 25 and the S4 barely fit. I sent it back, it was just so tight and un-practical.
Julianna Riecken
Anybody fancy starting a poll for best voted bag for people with the s4 to vote on, just got my s4 and can't decide which one to get?

Poll including the 5 aviatorman reviewed and any others that people maybe using?

Would be handy for new s4 users like myself
Art Beatz
Great review! I believe the bag is awesome but slightly limited in space for extra back up gear.
Other than that, it is a contender.
Francina Decosse
Originally Posted by Alex Wild
I'm seriously considering the fusion bag, would your hook up work for a delivery to the UK?

Also, does anyone know if the strap clips are decent? Really wary of straps that click in with a buckle-type arrangement like that. I can imagine one going and the whole thing falling off of your shoulder...

Alex
Fusion are an UK company.

don't worry about the strap clips. I trust them fully. Actually, I trust the whole bag, even if it's a bit smaller for a perfect S4 fit. It's great, just not perfect.
Shanel Mcglothen
DJTT S4 bag for me.

HOWEVER. If you own an older model Macbook Pro 17" (NON Unibody) It will BARELY fit in the provided laptop compartment. It is a very very snug tight fit, but i can manage to squeeze it in there.

I believe DJ TT designed the bag with the uni-body in mind =/

Next complaint: For the outside zippered pocket, why wouldn't you make the flap zip all the way down?! Having the zipper stop a little past the halfway point is really frustrating when trying to fit a lot of stuff in there.

Other than that, the bag is absolutely great! Super study, great construction and material quality. I am a big fan. Thank you DJ TT for providing an affordable solution!
Twyla Hilst
I'm seriously considering the fusion bag, would your hook up work for a delivery to the UK?

Also, does anyone know if the strap clips are decent? Really wary of straps that click in with a buckle-type arrangement like that. I can imagine one going and the whole thing falling off of your shoulder...

Alex
The strap clips are really reliable, I've been using the fusion bag since 4 months and I never encountered any problem with it. It's allowed as cabin luggage, but I advise you to check in early to avoid the cabin surcharge and risking to see your bag being sent to the luggage compartment
Len Lukawski

Alex

Sorry - I have no links with the UK ppl.
Kesha Orde

Alex
Len Lukawski
Ok, here's my full review of the DJTT S4 bag:

http://themixtrain.wordpress.com/201...s4-bag-review/

I am still looking at the Fusion Bag and will write a review when I get one.

That's nearly a 1,000 words you people owe me!!!!

SmiTTTen aka Fatter Agnus
Oren Scheideler
anyone know if its possible to get the fusion bag in australia??

**** found a site that you can get from in oz. cheers
Len Lukawski
Distributor's provide "accommodations" to artists which is a discount on a product that can be used by people the artist refers. This is what the Fusion Bag distributor offered when him and I spoke a few months back. I am by no means an "artist" but you get the point. The discount is around 20%.
Art Beatz
What exactly is the "artist" $?
Len Lukawski
If there are 3 more (serious) Fusion Bag purchasers I can hook all five of you up. PM me as and when....

SmiTTTen
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by smittten
They are available now. I have an 'artist accommodation" with the US distributor. I have been hooking up odd ppl here and there but going forward I need a list of ppl (minimum 5) and I will refer in groups. PM for info.

SmiTTTen
PM'd
Len Lukawski
They are available now. I have an 'artist accommodation" with the US distributor. I have been hooking up odd ppl here and there but going forward I need a list of ppl (minimum 5) and I will refer in groups. PM for info.

SmiTTTen
Julissa Serrone
when does the Fusion hit the US?
Len Lukawski
Aviator: do you actually own or have real life road tested all these bags?
Art Beatz
Actually the DJTT bag unseeded the Odyssey. I believe 5 choices is enough, but I do believe the Odyssey deserves an honorable mention. Thanks
Francina Decosse
Aviatorman, Alex, I have the Fusion for about 2 months now and it's really good. The extra room inside and the overall protection. Have a minor complain, when in backpack mode - i have it described in an earlier post on this thread. Told Fusion about it and will most likely be addressed in their next production run. All and all, i'm happy with my Fusion bag, as is!

I believe master smittten has the contacts of the US dealer and could also arrange some discount.

BTW, there's one more GREAT (but more expensive) bag, which you may have missed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZIdFIfMhco
Kesha Orde
Brilliant post Aviatorman.

I've spent a lot of time this week trying to decide what to get and I believe you've just persuaded me to go with the Fusion. The only thing that was holding me back was that you cant fit the S4 in the special sleeve that comes with the bag so you're losing some padding, but you reckon it still protects enough without it?

Alex
Art Beatz
I have spent quite a bit of time looking and researching a dynamic bag that will function for the S4.

What variables I considered in order of importance:
1-Protection
The most important thing for any bag.
2-Durability
You need to protect your investment.
3-Dynamics
Most S4 users will have the same setup, but you need added options with the amount of controllers surfacing out there.
4-Portability
It is all about how you roll as a working DJ.
5-Weight
This eliminates the need for flight cases. People evolve-please.
6-Airline check-in-friendly.
After you take off your shoes and get scanned by the government, the last thing you wanna do is watch your gear glide away on a conveyor belt.
7-Weather resistance
A little feature that may be costly in the long run. You can't fool mother nature...
8-Price
Yeah, I left it for last, but at the end of it all- you should always get a good deal. We are being perpetually fooled by quality and workmanship over price. It is a world filled rubber, plastic and, in some cases, aluminum. Face it, we ARE paying through the nose!

And now for the results!

1st place: Fusion Workstation Bag (available in Europe but coming to the states)
Why? The non-linear option; Most bags on the market allow you to slide your S4 in & out rather than having the option of placing it in. This can damage your precious knobs and sliders. This bag allows for a complete placement with the added option of a linear slide in.
Another plus is the amount of room there is; there is a giant compartment for cables, mixers, audio interfaces and midi controllers. It also has a multitude of small zippered pockets that are ideal for non-essential objects.
Major plus: It can be worn as a backpack or as a shoulder strap, AND it is proven to be airline check-in friendly. With the amount of room and features with a modest price tag. This is my leading contender for the honor.
Another important dynamic is that it is not just made for the S4. Most producers/DJs have more than one controller. This qualifies as a versatile studio bag too!

2nd Place: UDG Traktor Trolley ($249)
Why? UDG. They have an immaculate reputation for making bags for DJs.
The major plus on this bag is the wheels, but I am not a big fan of wheeling lightweight rubber and plastic controllers below my waist. It is mindless to have all that padded protection gone to waste on a wheeled design. The bottom line is that all these buttoned gadgets are lightweight. Vinyl is heavy. CDJs are heavy. Turntables are heavy. If you believe S4 & gear is heavy, then you need to spend more time at the gym. Other than that, it is truly a well designed bag, but the price is a little steep.

3rd Place
: Novation 25 Bag ($69)
Why? What you get for the price. Most people will argue that they shouldn't compromise on a bag that is too cheap for expensive gear , but this Novation bag does protect your gear, and you can't be what you get for the price. The only problem with the bag is the lack of options in size. To put it plainly: it does the job well but is too small. I still don't know why it hasn't occurred to Novation to offer it in red and black. Light grey sucks, but you can't bitch and moan for $69.

4th Place
: Magma Bag ($199)
An excellent bag, but it has been receiving complaints from users regarding discomfort on the back. You are limited to a linear placement, as I mentioned earlier, but you do have an overall well constructed bag that offers plenty of room for all your crap. The price is too high, and their availability sucks.

5th Place: DJTT S4 Bag ($129)
Why? It looks amazing and sleek, but there are not enough pockets when compared to the other choices. Also, you can only don the bag one way: shoulder strap. The choice of the materials is bar none, and I believe Mr. Golden did do his research on durability (if he's the one behind the design...)
I always like to enter the room looking like a DJ and not a computer technician. In these minor aspects, the bag falls a bit short. However, the price is not bad.

If I didn't mention any other models, it could be for one major reason: protection and not just fit. I saw plenty of models priced modestly that allow for a fit of the S4, but you will find yourself looking for foam and neoprene sleeves (GOOD LUCK!) to protect your controller. So if you find a bag that fits, it really is JUST the tip of the iceberg when you are considering a bag that can function through your perilous journeys. You can cut corners with luggage, but it would not be fair to the design constituent and the whole basis of this post.

I hoped this post helps those in question ultimately make a sound decision in the marketplace. And I'm sure by the time you read this, there will be more bags coveting the honor of being the right choice for S4 users. I believe my top five pretty much sums it up.

Congratulations to all the folks at Fusion. You made one hell of a bag.
Thank you !
Gustavo Opalenik
Gotta go with the DJTT S4 bag all the way. For design, function, durability, and cost. You cannot beat it.
Mariano Godina
The only thing about the dj tech tools bag is that you can't wear it as a back pack.
Lang Abriel
Originally Posted by Albertorto
I got my Novation 25 and decksaver this week. It fits perfect, not even tight for the zippers, and I succeed to place my headphones, laptop, cables and even my MIDI Fighter!
Great combination at a great price without doubt.
How in the Hell?

Do you have a macbook air and earbuds?

Theres no way I could fit all that, but im content with walking in with headphones in my pocket or around my neck...
Francina Decosse
and BTW, the price
Francina Decosse
I'm not sure that I won't be able to take as a hand luggage in planes. I've seen so many people traveling with small trolleys as cabin bags that I'll hardly believe that the Fusion won't be allowed. It's about the size of a mini trolley bag.

If you don't overfill the external pockets with thick stuff, which you actually don't need, as there's enough space inside, it wouldn't be a problem.

BTW, the bag has SO MUCH PADDING inside, that it's hard to believe why it's getting so full with so few items! I wouldn't be surprised if it's like 30-35% of padding front to back. It's the outer walls, than the laptop pocket, the so called Audio Bin (it's the fatest!). That's good in terms of gear protection, but it takes a lot from the inside space. That said, I believe that if filled carefully and wisely, the bag can safely take some squeezing without risking to harm the gear inside - the pressure would just be properly absorbed by all this padding (not to speculate with it, though )
King Cudney
yes it is a lot indeed, i agree, plus i cannot take in the plane with me another reason not to take it.
The amount of space is great..
Francina Decosse
King Cudney
for people in the NL who consider buying a Fusion Workstation DJ it is available here:
http://www.i4-muzique.nl/product_inf...ducts_id=18179
Abe Scheidt
I got my Novation 25 and decksaver this week. It fits perfect, not even tight for the zippers, and I succeed to place my headphones, laptop, cables and even my MIDI Fighter!
Great combination at a great price without doubt.
Leeanna Ayla
Yeah, you want to protect your gear as best possible, but I believe DJ bags in general are way overpriced for what they are. Its only made of foam and plastic! I'm probably going to get a cheap hand luggage sized bag and pad it out with foam. It'll look less tempting to thieves than a shiny bag with UDG plastered all over it too.
This!
Kesha Orde
Yeah, you want to protect your gear as best possible, but I believe DJ bags in general are way overpriced for what they are. Its only made of foam and plastic! I'm probably going to get a cheap hand luggage sized bag and pad it out with foam. It'll look less tempting to thieves than a shiny bag with UDG plastered all over it too.
Daniel Lown
Does no one else believe that $150 is quite a lot just for a bag? Not just this one, they all seem to be pretty pricey!
Not when you consider the cost of the gear you're transporting...

Laptop $1500
Traktor S4 $900
Headphones $100

Bag $150 (6% of the value of the gear in the bag.)

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy