DJTT S4 Mapping Thread

DJTT S4 Mapping Thread
Posted on: 22.12.2011 by Jodi Lacerra
This thread is to be used as the official thread for sharing any issues, bugs, questions, and general feedback for the DJ Techtools Kontrol S4 Custom Mapping.

The current release version is v1.2.2

The DJTT S4 Mapping is now FREE to Download. See all of DJTT's free mappings here: http://www.djranking s.com/midi-map/ (you can also use the link below)

Sign up for the S4 Mapping mailing list to get the download file and free updates on the mapping here: DJTT S4 Mapping Sign up

Note: There will be an update to this mapping soon which will address some leftover bugs (mostly dealing with if you use the Sample decks on Decks C/D) and address any other user issues.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
  • Traktor does not allow control of the Loop Length indicator LEDs with custom mappings (like this one). Therefore, the indicators will either be blank in this mapping or show the last loop length setting they were on when the default mapping was loaded.
  • If you want to switch back to the default mapping, simply go into the Controller Manager, click "Add..." Traktor Kontrol S4 -> Default for the original mapping to be loaded. You will then want to either select the DJTT mapping and take the S4 off the In-Port or just delete the DJTT mapping from the Device listbox.
  • Traktor will not allow me to map the "Filter On" function to the movement of the Filter knobs. As a result you may need to manually click on the Filter on ciricular switches in Traktor in order for your Filter to work.
  • It seems that you need to have Traktor Pro version 2.1.1 or above in order for this mapping to work properly (specifically for the Jog wheel FX). If you find that it works fine on an older version, please let me know.
Adrian Zadrozny
Hi all,

I believe this has been discussed before... but is there a way to ENABLE the filters to work with the DJTT S4 Custom Mapping? It seems for the moment at least that this mapping is no longer supported. I know at times this mapping seems to have a mind of its own, but lately I haven't come into any troubles. Would love to use the filters if possible.
Rey Holubar
Um, you sent me an email about my mapping. For this mapping the process to revert is a bit different.

You must delete the DJTT S4 mapping in the Controller Manager then select the default with the left pull-down menu. You'll have to go through the picklists of mappings to get to the default mapping. (sorry, I don't have Traktor open to be more descriptive)

scamo
Wilhemina Torrico
Mapping worked great, excellent fun. But how do I revert to the default mapping?
Wilton Warnell
thanks scamo, i will mess around this weekend and see what i can come up with.
Rey Holubar
Thanks for the video. But, I'd almost bet that isn't an effect. I'd say it is just a one-shot sample.

Edit/- Looking at the video further, he is using 4 track decks. So I am not correct (unless he loaded a sample into a track deck). Hmm......interesting. To be honest, I have no idea what effect grouping could cause that kind of sound.

Edit2/- Also, lets get back to the topic. If you want, write me a PM, if you have some ideas about what effect grouping could be useful.

scamo
Wilton Warnell
Originally Posted by scamo
Can you find a video with that effect in it?

scamo
he hits it at like 1:18 and 2:15
Rey Holubar
Can you find a video with that effect in it?

scamo
Wilton Warnell
I am working on a new version, which will have 14 different effect modes.

scamo
whoa, can't wait sounds pretty banging'

I'm still tinkering with a way to emulate the stuff that dubfire and hawtin do with the echo/delay/combo thing where they can take a snake and just tweak it out.
Rey Holubar
I am working on a new version, which will have 14 different effect modes.

scamo
Kimberely Fye
@scamo maybe I lost something but my version of your mapping is 4.4 and I have just 7 kind of different effects that's all or maybe there is a new version with 14 different effects?
thanks for your patience
Rey Holubar
@mathesonewan - When I created my mapping, it was a bit "egotistical" in the sense that, I didn't believe anyone would be using other mappings/ devices alongside of it, which also use effects. I am working on a newer version and due to a certain restriction with using the gain encode as the selection device (to get a faster selection between 14 possible effect modes for each deck/channel), I believe the resulting solution I've had to come up with will actually solve the issue of multiple devices using the effect banks. In the new version, you'll have to use the indicator lights only to select the effect modes you want in each Deck and use the jog touch to set the effect mode and also turn on the effects. I liked the visual aid in seeing what mode is selected in Traktor, but this new version has advantages too (like 7 more effect mode possibilities), which will also make it pretty cool.

scamo
Xavier Hozey
I was going to run this as an edit, but it may contain some useful info for some people so running it as a seperate post:

From picking apart a launchpad mapping I found and Scamos mapping I worked out the effects thing.

For people like me who are fairly new to mapping, you'll want to take someone elses and start customising it to your liking (to match the way you play!)

Let's say for example you have a nice effect (One of the ones on the Ean Golden S4 mapping I like is the Delay/LoFi/Filter mapped to the jog wheel) but lets say your style is a bit harder and expansive delays all over the place aren't your thing? Note which effects bank the effect is, lets say it's number 2. Go to the assignment table and click on the "name" so all of your effects in bank two are grouped together (in alpha order) then systematically go through and check each of them. Some will be commands for controller, some will be various other things. Eventually you will start to find some that have an effect name right at the bottom.

In this example, you want to change all the ones that say "delay" to "beatmasher" (ensuring you ONLY change effects for the effects grouping you want i.e. number 2 in this case) keep a note of what you are doing, as it will become helpful when you are writing your own mappings!

As a side note, if (like me) you want a couple of controllers to control effects inside Traktor, be aware, these commands are a little buggy, so you may have to hit a key once (to set up the effect in the correct bank) and then again to trigger it.

If this is wrong/better way to do it. Let me know!
Xavier Hozey
I feel like I've read through every single page on DJTT. (Seriously, I've been looking now for 6 hours on DJTT and other sites)

I REALLY love this S4 mapping, and with some tinkering managed to get mine stable and runs flawlessly... I've actually moved all my hotcues onto a launchpad along with the EQ kills and filter switch (if anyone wants that TSI let me know )

Thing is... The effects keep changing for what I can only figure is no possible reason... I've been using the mapping since the day it came out, and the first bank (SHFT+OFFSET) on the left was always Beatmasher + LoFi + One of the filters... This has now totally changed to DELY+LoFi+Filter...

On a more general note, there doesn't appear to be anything to describe how you might swap effects out and make some edits (I'm not a total noob to mapping, but not an expert by any means) try as I may I've not found anything in the mapping, settings etc

Anyone got any hints???

Scamo, your mapping is awesome by the way! I tried it and liked it, although now I've put in all the work to map my launchpad, it fits nicely within the workflow for the Ean Golden mapping - awesome job though!
Kimberely Fye
I would like to know how can I update traktor in version 2.1.2 because if I go in service center told me that all my software is update but my version of traktor pro is 2.0.1
Ethel Saracco
Originally Posted by Fedenico999
Where I can find a scamo's mapping?
Here's the link to Scamo's mapping

http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=44773
Kecia Wnukowski
Yes, update to Traktor's current version...
Kimberely Fye
I read that many people had my same problem, the jog wheel doesn't change the value of the effect like you see in the video.
But I haven't read an answer that explain to resolve this matter, how can I do that, anyone knows how to risolve it.
Thanks a lot
Kimberely Fye
Where I can find a scamo's mapping?
Pierre Aliseo
Would also love an update.

You guys rock!
-trick
Adrian Zadrozny
Originally Posted by JordanT
I like the mapping but curious if anyone knows how to add a few things to the mapping, i like being able to browse through tracks with the jog wheels, and also using the browse button to skip through tracks while previewing them. if someone can help i would much appreciate it. I unfortunately haven't been able to figure out how to do my own mappings for something like this.
Yeah, I miss being able to scroll through tracks using my jog wheels as well... Hopefully an update is around the corner.
Soraya Burrs
I like the mapping but curious if anyone knows how to add a few things to the mapping, i like being able to browse through tracks with the jog wheels, and also using the browse button to skip through tracks while previewing them. if someone can help i would much appreciate it. I unfortunately haven't been able to figure out how to do my own mappings for something like this.
Ethel Saracco
I've given up waiting for an update to this mapping. I deleted it and imported Scamo's mapping instead. I have to say I'm really impressed with Scamo's mapping - great work! Hey and it even comes with instructions - wow! I believe I need to make some changes so that it will play nice with my MidiFighter Classic and Cue Master though. Overall I believe this is a better approach than the DJTT mapping because it works along side the original S4 mapping.
Wilton Warnell
crickets.....
Son Laverriere
Originally Posted by Rusty
Please DJTT, can you provide us with the promised mapping update to address the known bugs? We have been patiently waiting for like 2 months now. I'm sure many of us would be willing to pay for an update at this point if that would expedite the process. Thanks.
So needed...
Ethel Saracco
Please DJTT, can you provide us with the promised mapping update to address the known bugs? We have been patiently waiting for like 2 months now. I'm sure many of us would be willing to pay for an update at this point if that would expedite the process. Thanks.
Cyndy Jose
FWIW, the mapping is easy enough to modify to one's personal taste. It's a little hard to follow some of the logic just looking at the mapping inside of traktor's settings window because everything is so small. Once I transcribed the mapping to paper the modifier operation becomes pretty clear though. It really is quite a bit of slick programming. I'm still not sure how to get M1 and M2 to equal 7 for beat tap.

Thanks guys!
Rana Blessing
are we going to be getting an update anytime soon, I would love to use this out live but with some of he bugs I experienced I wouldnt risk it.
Larraine Hannum
Gotta say I love this mapping, kinda sucks losing the sample size loop led's but meh. I kinda feel like DJTT might have shot themselves in the foot with this release because I don't really use my midi fighter anymore.

No reason to bring another controller to gigs when the s4 can do it all now

But I'm still not 100% confident using this mapping for a live gig yet, I wanna practice some 2-3 hour sets and see how stable it is.
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by Rusty
@ FLASHFLOODER

First of all great work on this mapping! For the most part it is working very well for me.

I watched Ean's video very closely and I am noticing different behaviour with my mapping. At about 3:02 in the video he uses the DELAY (Sample Deck Preset #4). When he touches the platter the second "FEEDB" button toggles ON or OFF. With my mapping the third "RATE" button toggles ON or OFF. The second "FEEDB" button remains ON all the time.

Also my preset #4 loads the T3DELAY instead of the regular DELAY shown in the video. Yes I used the Larger Import button twice when I loaded the mapping.
Ean changed his mind for the Delay preset and the mapping changed a bit right after the video to be T3Delay. I know it is confusing some people but it can be changed if you follow my comments in the mapping.
Cyndy Jose
not sure what the issue is but clicking on the link opens a blank page in safari. In firefox the raw xml code is displayed. anyone have a tip on how this can be downloaded on a mac?

Thanks!
Wiley Pollastrini
its probably already been mentioned its been awhile since i kept up with this thread and i need to go back through...

has anyone had a problem with the cue buttons turning into load buttons?
i was playing around with this mapping at a friends house party and all of the sudden tracks just started loading when i would hit the cue buttons.

very embarrassing to say the least. as someone stated don't use this mapping for a live performance. very fun for playing around with though at home.
Rosendo Odum
I've had it working for a month or two, but noticed that the filters on C and D weren't working, so I tried to reset the mapping; and now whenever i move the jog wheel it scratches and adjusts the effects at the same time. I've tried resetting the S4 multiple times but nothing happens.
Rey Holubar
Originally Posted by DjDCNY
so just shift+tempo while CorD are selected? cool deal, thank you scamo!!!

man i wish they had this gear when i used to play out years ago, would have been a very different picture.

anyone else notice the sync function gets a little screwed up with this mapping?
No Problem!

Originally Posted by William88
Downloaded but not imported it yet has anyone tried it and it works ok.
You should read through this thread. Lots of information about how good this mapping is. But short and sweet, there are still some issues and I'd personally would not use it in a performance situatation. I've had instances where the play buttons just stops working, which means an couldn't get the track in the deck to play.

You can also switch back to the default mapping at any time. How to do it is also in this thread.

scamo
Wilton Warnell
You mean Deck C? Yeah, it should work on Deck C. You just have to turn on the effects mode, when you press the Deck C button.

scamo
so just shift+tempo while CorD are selected? cool deal, thank you scamo!!!

man i wish they had this gear when i used to play out years ago, would have been a very different picture.

anyone else notice the sync function gets a little screwed up with this mapping?
Rey Holubar
You mean Deck C? Yeah, it should work on Deck C. You just have to turn on the effects mode, when you press the Deck C button.

scamo
Wilton Warnell
is there a way to run this mapping and still be able to utilize the effects on decks 3&4? I do alot of 3 deck mixing and this is lacking in that dept.
Sharyn Prado
Yeah, unfortunately I believe there may be some VCI 400 action in progress :/
Rey Holubar
Originally Posted by paulalexsaltis
Hi

I did this ages ago and thought it might be usefull to other people using this mapping, I tested it and it runs along side the mapping quite well, bascially depress shift and press the cue button, it switches on/off the filters

For some reason the mapping wont allow you to move back or forwards the loop whilst looping, I use this feature quite a bit to get out of tricky situations and would like it, any suggestions on how to get started on doing it, its a bit of a midi maze in there and Im a bit confused where to begin
This is strange, because the loop jump worked for me. Make sure the default mapping is still available, after you've imported this mapping.

I have found other even worse bugs though. Like the play button just dying and never coming back. I wonder why no one is working on this mapping to improve it. Maybe there are other more important projects going....like the new controller from Ean and getting it to work with Traktor 2.5.

scamo
Sharyn Prado
Hi

I did this ages ago and thought it might be usefull to other people using this mapping, I tested it and it runs along side the mapping quite well, bascially depress shift and press the cue button, it switches on/off the filters

For some reason the mapping wont allow you to move back or forwards the loop whilst looping, I use this feature quite a bit to get out of tricky situations and would like it, any suggestions on how to get started on doing it, its a bit of a midi maze in there and Im a bit confused where to begin
Wilton Warnell
Originally Posted by elio_xh

Which panel are you refering to?
my bad, i was referring to the preferences main panel. Thank you for the fast reply! I am still learning the ways of midi mapping and such so your help is much appreciated

i wish there was a way to run this mapping on all 4 decks(i prefer a 4 track deck setup), or at least use the effects mapping as two separate effects units and select which channel to send where....

the more i get into this setup i feel i need more surfaces to add faster access to everything, almost like adding more gear to the rig. like an X1 on the side, or possibly that new controller debuted at NAMM

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy