Midi Fighter Deckalized Mapping

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Midi Fighter Deckalized MappingReply
Midi Fighter Deckalized Mapping
Posted on: 26.05.2010 by Jodi Lacerra
There is a new official DJ Techtools Deck specific mapping for the Midi Fighter and Traktor Pro called, "MF_Deckalized.tsi". See the attached button layout for features and functionality.

Fun Fact: Ean has been using this mapping recently to DJ using solely two Midi Fighters (one for Deck A and one for Deck B) and an external mixer.

Upon importing the tsi, the controller manager will show four labeled device mappings (one for each Deck, A/B/C/D). You will need to set the In and Out Ports to your Midifighter(s) for the applicable Decks you want to control.

A cool new function (that may not be obvious to users at first) is the Sample Slicer. After using the Record/Sampler button to craft a sample on the fly, you can go into the Sample Slicer mode by holding Shift and pressing the Record/Sampler button again. To indicate you've moved into the Slicer mode, all of the bottom 8 button's LEDs will light up as a visual cue. You can then Slice up the sample to make some really interesting sounds by pressing any of those bottom 8 buttons. Try it out for yourself!

There is also a Juggle Mode which can be activated by pressing Shift and the Record/Sampler button while the Sampler is not active (the visual cue for this is every other of the bottom 8 LEDs lighting up). This makes the bottom 8 buttons Select or Store Hotcues 1-8 (you can delete the Cue points by using Shift and the appropriate Hotcue button).

Also, for those of you that are unaware, I created FOCUS versions of the MF Deckalized mapping that allow you to use 1 Midi Fighter to control either 2 decks (A/B) or all 4 decks (A/B/C/D). With the focus mappings you get all the same functions and you are able to control the Deck that is currently selected as the "Focus" (i.e., highlighted orange).

The only difference is that the (Shift+Sync) subfunction which was "Load Next Song" in the original Deckalized mapping is now "Deck Focus Select" which will toggle the Deck Focus through decks A/B or all four respectively (see Focus layout jpeg).

As we work to create and improve future Midi Fighter mappings, we will be taking your input into consideration so please share your thoughts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Np3L2myavg

For those familiar with the original Midi Fighter mapping (see http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=10137), the new mapping shares a similar architecture to the original but now offers more hands on features.

Purchase a Midi Fighter here
Alexandra Nerby
Hey I was just wondering if someone DJTechtools had a video of a MF used to control both decks A and B. I just ordered one with the intention of using the .tsi file at the beginning of this thread stating all the features were still there. BTW which .tsi is it? The last one of the AB one?
Evangeline Abraha
This mapping is fantastic : ) The workflow is very good & I am now getting into kind of genre-hopping King Tubby style mixing ,

Great effects can be achieved when you press "Echo Freeze" Button , then just hold down phase sync either up or down , straight outta Mr Tubby's basement.....

In fact it's that good it has made my setup much more portable, I have literally scrapped one of my other controllers & now use the MF + Vestax VCM 100 as a mixer.
(I only need vestax for eq, Volume & Loop jumps) It's getting better & better...

Nice work Ean + Team !!!! : D

M
Elida Ekenstam
Originally Posted by flashflooder
Make sure to use the "Deck Focus Select" button (Shift+Sync) to change Deck Focus'. Do not manually change the Deck Focus with your mouse or else Traktor and the MF can get thrown off a bit in terms of turning effects on and off specific decks.

I am working to fix this in a future update but for now, if you are using a FOCUS tsi then only use the Deck Focus button to change Deck Focus'.
great tip.. works much better now
Elida Ekenstam
The mappings all default to "All Ports" so if you are using a VCI-100 and an MF, you want to go into the Controller Manager and set the IN/OUT ports for each mapping to the appropriate controller. Otherwise, they share a lot of midi notes and will wrongly be sending information to one another resulting in some real strange behavior and LED states.
this worked for me thanks!!!
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by notshy
How do you delete cue's using the Deckalised Mapping (I'm using Focus AB)? Is there a way - I've got my keyboard mapped to delete using "Alt + Number" but I've only got cue's 1-5 mapped for each deck (1-5 Deck A, and 6-0 Deck B) and hence I can't delete past cue 5.
Go into Juggle Mode (Shift+Sampler). The bottom 8 buttons will now control your 8 Hotcue points. Press Shift and the appropriate Cue button to delete that cue point.
Lorelei Przybylowicz
How do you delete cue's using the Deckalised Mapping (I'm using Focus AB)? Is there a way - I've got my keyboard mapped to delete using "Alt + Number" but I've only got cue's 1-5 mapped for each deck (1-5 Deck A, and 6-0 Deck B) and hence I can't delete past cue 5.
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by djjoesnug
when using my midi fighter alone it works fine but im trying to us it with my vci-100 se and it does not work right when the vci is hooked up?
The mappings all default to "All Ports" so if you are using a VCI-100 and an MF, you want to go into the Controller Manager and set the IN/OUT ports for each mapping to the appropriate controller. Otherwise, they share a lot of midi notes and will wrongly be sending information to one another resulting in some real strange behavior and LED states.
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by ridim
i dont get that exact behaviour

playing around on deck A everything works as it should when its highlighted
however when i change to deck B effect 2 never gets switched on. Even if i manually press efefct slot 2 and then start to press a effect button on the MF it switches off

im using vci arcade and MF
Make sure to use the "Deck Focus Select" button (Shift+Sync) to change Deck Focus'. Do not manually change the Deck Focus with your mouse or else Traktor and the MF can get thrown off a bit in terms of turning effects on and off specific decks.

I am working to fix this in a future update but for now, if you are using a FOCUS tsi then only use the Deck Focus button to change Deck Focus'.
Dexter Volponi
me too
Dexter Volponi
when using my midi fighter alone it works fine but im trying to us it with my vci-100 se and it does not work right when the vci is hooked up?
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Open up the d.eck focused Midi mapping and scroll to the bottom and the Midi commands for deck selecting should be there from memory
Jadwiga Mainka
I have 2 midifighters Id like to switch my Midi Fighter 1 from A/C and 2 from B/D is this possible? I saw a A/B mapping , Anyone know how I can Map this out? What commands to add in?
Elida Ekenstam
Good observation Hammer. It's a bit confusing at first but pushing any of the Filter/Echo/Delay/Record/Roll buttons (all 8 buttons in the middle rows) will turn the appropriate FX bank and type ON to the current Focus Deck and OFF of all the other 3 decks. This way, you cannot accidentally assign an effect to two different decks without realizing it.

Another reason behind this is that some of the effects (i.e., "Roll" aka Beatmasher) sync up to your tempo but there is a slight delay on the initial instance the FX bank gets turned on a Deck. Because of this we have the FX units turning on and staying on once you press any of the Filter/Delay/Roll (FX Bank 2) buttons.

For example, if you switch decks from A to B (after using a Roll on Deck A) and want to use a "Roll" on Deck B, FX Bank 2 will turn off Deck A and on Deck B.

It's a bit of an odd concept at first so please let me know if my explanation is causing more confusion than help.

i dont get that exact behaviour

playing around on deck A everything works as it should when its highlighted
however when i change to deck B effect 2 never gets switched on. Even if i manually press efefct slot 2 and then start to press a effect button on the MF it switches off

im using vci arcade and MF
Elida Ekenstam
Originally Posted by Hammer
This has completely blown me away! SO SO SO SO amazing! Cannot believe how good this is!
Well done guys, just as I was getting jealous of the Novation Dicer, this mapping blows my face off!
Well done!

Only thing I've noticed, on the Deck Focus mapping, Deck 2 FX Send 2 keeps turning off as soon as you touch any buttons, meaning it doesnt let you control any of your delay and stuff on deck 2?

Any help
+1
yeah i have the same problem
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Anyone on the Freeze/Feedback button? It works sometimes but just cuts the tune others and can't work out why. Is it that an old feedback is still running in the background?
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Quick NOOB question - why when I hit freeze does the track completely stop rather than a frozen echo? If I do freeze plus delay then it seems to work better.

I Ean's video he just hits freeze and gets echo on track playing ... mine just stops all sound coming out of that deck.
alfredo moreira
bravo on the deckalized focus mapping!
Ja Winger
hmm. yeah i dunno. (XP @ Work)
everytime i try to download a file it just brings me to the login screen. which i log in then it brings me right back to the login screen.

i will try a different browser later.
Jerome Frana
I was able to dl without problem. You could try in a diff. browser.
Ja Winger
that's what the "Focus" mappings are. "MF_Deckalized_Focus" can control all four decks with one midi fighter and "MF_Deckalized_Focus_AB" can control decks A and B with one midi fighter. In each Shift+Sync becomes the Deck Change button.
thanks for replying. sorry for my n00b questions.

where would i get the Focus and the FocusAB?

The zip file included in this thread appears to be (for me, @ work on WinXP) corrupted...
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by jord4n
is there a layout/mapping for the midi fighter & traktor that works both decks with just 1 midi fighter?
that's what the "Focus" mappings are. "MF_Deckalized_Focus" can control all four decks with one midi fighter and "MF_Deckalized_Focus_AB" can control decks A and B with one midi fighter. In each Shift+Sync becomes the Deck Change button.
Ja Winger
is there a layout/mapping for the midi fighter & traktor that works both decks with just 1 midi fighter?
Jerome Frana
Thank you for this mapping, I wil try it out as soon as possible.
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by Jergo
hey guys id like to first of all thank djranking s for such an awesome mapping for the midi-fighter unit. im using the deckalized focused mapping and i was just wondering since im only using decks 1 and 2 is there a possible way to only switch between them when pressing shift+sync bc when i switch the focus back to deck 1 from 2 i hav to press additional times going from decks 3 and 4 and can be quite troublesome while doing some mixing.
ask and you shall receive...actually, i've been meaning to do this for a while since others have asked about it and i agree that it can be a bit annoying to have to always scroll thru decks C/D if you only use A/B.
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by Jergo
when i enter sampler mode by pressing record the trans effect comes on as opposed to the slice effect used by ean in the video and i was just wondering on how to fix that thanks.
in regards to the trans effect coming on when using the "sampler", the tsi should change fx bank3 to the beatslicer effect any time you press the sampler button so i would try to reload the tsi because sometimes the effect settings don't properly import the first time causing the tsi to look for the wrong effects.
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by notshy
@flashflooder - do you believe it might be an idea to get DJTT to email that out to all people who've just purchased one of the latest round of MidiFighters? I imagine you will have a flood of posts if not - mainly because everyone will want to try Deckalized mapping first and will spot the LED issue.
i appreciate your concern but i don't believe we need to worry too much about it. we caught the issue pretty early and there shouldn't be very many MF's that got shipped out without the latest firmware.
Jerome Frana
Indeed I also only need deck A and B.
Carin Mcalevy
hey guys id like to first of all thank djranking s for such an awesome mapping for the midi-fighter unit. im using the deckalized focused mapping and i was just wondering since im only using decks 1 and 2 is there a possible way to only switch between them when pressing shift+sync bc when i switch the focus back to deck 1 from 2 i hav to press additional times going from decks 3 and 4 and can be quite troublesome while doing some mixing. lastly when i enter sampler mode by pressing record the trans effect comes on as opposed to the slice effect used by ean in the video and i was just wondering on how to fix that thanks.
Leota Saniuk
it seems like in juggle mode only every second LED lights up. i assume this is done in order to differentiate from the sampler mode. however the difference is already visible by the sample LED, which is not lid up in juggle mode (or am i overlooking something?).

so imho it would be cool if in juggle mode the buttons would light up according to if a hot cue point has been set for the given button. obviously when entering juggle mode with no hot cue's set as of now, none of the buttons would light up, but i dont see that as a big deal.

PS: you might want to add a link to the demo video on the mappings page.
Jerome Frana
Seems to work now, just need to check how to use one mid fighter with the hercules rmx. Seems that I first have to import the midi fighter and then add the rmx mapping.
Jerome Frana
Mine is from the very first production batch, so it could be it still has an older firmware.
I will do the upgrade and let you know if this solves my problem as for jthompsn.
Lorelei Przybylowicz
@flashflooder - do you believe it might be an idea to get DJTT to email that out to all people who've just purchased one of the latest round of MidiFighters? I imagine you will have a flood of posts if not - mainly because everyone will want to try Deckalized mapping first and will spot the LED issue.

P.S. I'm waiting on USPS to get mine over the pond to the UK
Jodi Lacerra
In case anyone else is having issues with their LEDs, make sure that your MF is flashed with the latest firmware. A few MF's that were sent out in our latest production run may not have been flashed with the latest firmware.

An easy way to distinguish this is when you plug in your MF after the LEDs snake through, the top left 3 LEDs will blink in succession and if the blinking is bright and solid you have the new firmware, if it is a quick dim flicker then you have an older firmware and should re-flash it.

If you need to re-flash your MF, check out this thread for info on how to http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=11511
Laquita Coduto
I have to apologize for the noob panic, but thats what we noobs do...panic first believe later.

Just reflashed the MF firmware and my MFing MF is SWEET. All systems are go!!!!
Laquita Coduto
Originally Posted by redgoblin83
That's what I ment.

Sorry for the bad gramar I'm not an native en speaker.
Did you get a fix for this yet? Mine seems to be doing the same thing. What are your settings?
Jerome Frana
Originally Posted by jthompsn
I believe he means the 8 bottom buttons don't light up when you put it in juggle mode.

Mine was doing this today. I used the deckalized mapping to control only deck C.

Another question, are the in/ out port supposed to be set to all ports or midifighter?
That's what I ment.

Sorry for the bad gramar I'm not an native en speaker.
Laquita Coduto
Just checked it again. My LED's don't toggled on and off for juggle mode or when effects are toggled rather than just held. Each individual LED does light when pressed on its own. I definitely like the fact that there were LED reminders of what is toggled on and off. Any way to fix this?
Laquita Coduto
Can you please clarify what you mean when you say the right LEDs are not being enabled? I'm not sure I understand your issue.
I believe he means the 8 bottom buttons don't light up when you put it in juggle mode.

Mine was doing this today. I used the deckalized mapping to control only deck C.

Another question, are the in/ out port supposed to be set to all ports or midifighter?
Laquita Coduto
The setup goes as follows: assuming you already have the VCI-100 tsi loaded (or vice versa if you have an MF mapping loaded) you are going to go into the Controller Manager in the Preferences section, click "Add->Import" under the Device listbox and select the MF mapping that you would like to add.

At this point you should be able to see mappings in the "Device" listbox like VCI-100SE, Midi_Fighter - Deck Focus, & Generic Keyboard. You need to then make sure that the "In-Port" and "Out-Port" are set to the correct devices for each respective mapping.

If you need to delete a single mapping without removing all of them (say if you want to change MF mappings), simply select the mapping in the Device listbox and go to Edit->Delete and it will remove the currently selected mapping. The Device listbox will say "None" after this but rest assured, the other mappings are still there just click on the listbox to verify.

In terms of best fit, the Deckalized version will import 4 mappings with each one tied to a single deck. If you only have one deck that you want to be able to use the MF effects on, this mapping probably makes the most sense to use. Or, if you have two MF's and really only use Decks A/B to dj then you could set one MF to A and one to B.

However, if you only have one MF and want to be able to use it with any of the four decks in conjunction with the VCI-100 then I recommend using the Deck Focus version, where the MF will control the Deck currently under Focus (i.e., Deck letter highlighted).
1000 Thanks! Perfect timing as my MF will arrive tomorrow!
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by jthompsn
I'd like to use my midifighter in conjunction with my arcade edition vci. Can anyone walk through the set-up and which one of flashflooders deckalized tsi's would be the best fit.
The setup goes as follows: assuming you already have the VCI-100 tsi loaded (or vice versa if you have an MF mapping loaded) you are going to go into the Controller Manager in the Preferences section, click "Add->Import" under the Device listbox and select the MF mapping that you would like to add.

At this point you should be able to see mappings in the "Device" listbox like VCI-100SE, Midi_Fighter - Deck Focus, & Generic Keyboard. You need to then make sure that the "In-Port" and "Out-Port" are set to the correct devices for each respective mapping.

If you need to delete a single mapping without removing all of them (say if you want to change MF mappings), simply select the mapping in the Device listbox and go to Edit->Delete and it will remove the currently selected mapping. The Device listbox will say "None" after this but rest assured, the other mappings are still there just click on the listbox to verify.

In terms of best fit, the Deckalized version will import 4 mappings with each one tied to a single deck. If you only have one deck that you want to be able to use the MF effects on, this mapping probably makes the most sense to use. Or, if you have two MF's and really only use Decks A/B to dj then you could set one MF to A and one to B.

However, if you only have one MF and want to be able to use it with any of the four decks in conjunction with the VCI-100 then I recommend using the Deck Focus version, where the MF will control the Deck currently under Focus (i.e., Deck letter highlighted).

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy