Scamo's Traktor S4 FX Jogs Xtreme Mapping - 5.1.0 Beta

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Scamo's Traktor S4 FX Jogs Xtreme Mapping - 5.1.0 BetaReply
Scamo's Traktor S4 FX Jogs Xtreme Mapping - 5.1.0 Beta
Posted on: 12.09.2012 by Rey Holubar
Ok,

Here is a pre-beta release of my FX Jogs mapping. It's beta, because it needs some testing before I'd say it is fit for live use and pre-, because I still want to make an introduction video showing my intentions with the effect modes.

This mapping has 13 basic or one-shot modes. Mode 14 is still waiting for the ultimate effects grouping. I still haven't found it yet. Modes 1 and 8 have have incremental modes. Here is a quick explanation of the modes.

Note to the hater's. I do not consider myself the world's best mapper or effects guru. It could very well be with some of the effect groupings I've come up with a sound engineer would do a two hand face slap, when he hears/ sees them. Haha! If you do know more, please give us some help with tips and improvements. I am really open for ideas and learning what is right with effects. But if you do want to share your wisdom, thanks, but also give up some credentials. If you just want to hate and be negative, don't bother.

So here goes.....

Mode 1 - Ean's Beat Masher

World renowned through this video

(2.2+ million views!!!, look for the left jog), In this video Ean does a really neat mashup of a favorite Depeche Mode song of mine "Enjoy The Silence". It was this mashup and the use of FX jogs which inspired me to even start mapping and was the spark for this mapping. This effect mode is great for so many reasons. Too many to write down actually. Take a look at my fundamentals video. The beginning showcases this one effect mode and what you can do with it.

This video also shows you how the mapping works, if you are new to my FX Jogs mapping.

Please note: One major change has been made since I made this video. You do not have to press shift to change the modes. Now you only need to turn the gain knobs. Press shift to change the gain with the knobs.

Mode 2 - Transbeater

This is an attempt at a user's suggestion to make a rising like effect. It is a beatmasher with a transpose stretch. You can use this to heighten a transition. When you let go of the jog, the TTFX cuts in. Press the jog again to turn the TTFX off. You can also just press the jog to cut in TTFX without the riser.

Mode 3 - Delayorama

This is a simple T3 Delay, but play with it some, you can get some neat effects with it almost like beatmashing.

Mode 4 - The Belofo

Also a beatmasher with Lofi and LFO. Use this over some vocals to give them a different flair.

Mode 5 - Flangeritis

A simple grouping with Flangerflux, but also fun in vocal, instrumental parts of a song. Fun anywhere really. Turn the jog to the right slowly and towards where the reverb gets close to about 90%, let go of the jog. You can turn the jog back to the left to fade out the reverb too. Try it fast too. Wow! Probably too much. hehe...

Mode 6 - The Riffer

A mix of gator and beatmasher and with the right beat and rhythm, you can make your own riffs. Lots of fun!

Mode 7 - Reverbogator

A reverb with gator, this effect group only needs small movements of the jog to have lots of fun.

Mode 8 - Army of Me's (Priscilla's) Sweep Drama Effect

Just a great classic sweep. Also has incremental mode, where you don't have to hold the jog.

Mode 9 - LOFI Sweep

A bit like Pricilla's sweep, but then again different.

Mode 10 - Flanger Sweep

Running out of ideas, somehow I got stuck on sweeping effects. But I like this one too.

Mode 11 - Pulse Sweep

Ok, I know, I know. Too many sweeps.....

Mode 12 - Beat Slicer

Catch a beat and slice it in differently using the Wet/Dry. I added the W/D just recently and I need to have the W/Ds start at 0. Or do I? At any rate, the trick here is to blend in the sliced up 4 beats with the W/D. You use the jog to select the slice mode. Press shift to change the 3rd parameter of the slicer.

Mode 13 - LOFI Masher

Also an energy raising effect. Use with care.

Mode 14 - The ultimate effect grouping for jog FX - still not found.

That's it. Have fun and any constructive feedback is appreciated. Video is coming soon.

scamo

p.s. It just hit me, that I might have also two F1 default mappings in this. If there is, let me know. I'll update the file.

NOTE: When you change the effect mode, you must press the jog wheel once quickly, so the effects are primed and ready to go. After that, you can use the mode. The priming sort of also gives you a visual as to what mode (which effects) are selected.

NOTE 2: This mapping works with Traktor 2.5.0 and has only been tested by myself with this version. It may not work correctly with older versions of Traktor.

Also a small restriction is this mapping will go tits up, if you press the browse button for more than a second or two (for going into the copy mode). So just don't press the browse button for too long.
Marti Virkler
Originally Posted by scamo
Bad news currently from the BPM. Custom FX macros won't be a part of 2.6, but might be added to a later version. Darn it.....

scamo
Soooooooooooooooo disappointed
Laurice Jessing
Please don't wait! It is alsways interesting to see a mapping.
Originally Posted by Stewe
Same here mate. I was about to release beta version of my custom mapping but Ean's Z2 video blow me away.
but,
The Z2 is a 2 channel mixer, S4 is a 4 channel mixer.
Is The Z2 better in someways?
Ore is this about the software 2.6 and the possibilities to make it better for the S4?
I like the S4 and its possibilities.

ps: "Bad news currently from the BPM", who is that?
Rey Holubar
Bad news currently from the BPM. Custom FX macros won't be a part of 2.6, but might be added to a later version. Darn it.....

scamo
Rey Holubar
Um, well, custom effects won't be possible, but I believe you meant custom FX macros and as you say, it would seem a given to have the ability to create your own custom FX macros. If you watched Ean's video review of the new Z2 mixer, at around minute 4 while he shows off the macro function, he also shows a nice list of macros and recently added a text overlay in the video saying "these FX macros aren't the ones to be found in the final release". Whether or not that list means there is an ability to customize your own FX macros or NI just hasn't decided what to put in the final version, I don't know. I'd like to hope it is the former.

The mapping interface in Traktor isn't so bad now that you can widen the Controller Manager window. I believe the overall mapping "language" just needs to be modernized. The modifier system is very limited and also the lock-down on the HID functionality is a pain having to work around. NI should improve the mapping system from the ground up. Bitwig, for instance, is coming out with a javascript programming interface for midi-mapping controllers to their software. I realize something like this for Traktor would mean a much steeper learning curve for some users, but it also would mean a much, much more flexible mapping system and it might even mean mapping programmers have the ability to create custom user interfaces for simplifying mapping customization for those "non-programming" users. Going out on a limb on the user interface creation possibility, but the chance is there. If NI could bring out such an API that can also dig into the HID functionality, wow, that would be great.

scamo
Marti Virkler
Do you guys know if we'll be able to build our own custom FX to map to a single knob? Very curious to see if this update includes a means to make the mapping interface much better (seems like a given... but what do I know?).

Dave
Rey Holubar
Theoretically, if the macros do work over the FX Jogs mode, then there is no longer any need for my mapping. And if NI is really good, they'll have some much simpler interface to manage custom FX macros, so users can create their own (and export them and share them). If that all happens, then my FX Jogs mapping will be history and I won't be sad one bit, because I know for a fact my mapping was introduced to the NI devs and I was told they were impressed with it. Whether or not my mapping actually sparked the FX macro idea, I don't know and it really doesn't matter. Main thing is for us all, we get even better fun and much more room for creativity out of Traktor!

scamo
Delena Katherman
Thanks for the info. Where did you find this? By the way, I'm just starting to really get into some of your new effects that I initially didn't believe fit my style (some of them I immediately loved!). It's taken some practice to figure our where to use all of them, but it's been worth the effort. They really are great. Thanks again, Scamo. Looking forward to someday seeing what you can do with the macros!
Rey Holubar
Hehehe...looks familiar somehow....NI even gave the FX macros cute names. Wonder where they got that idea from.

Edit: Oh, and I bet the new macros will be controllable over the FX Jogs mode for the S4/ S2. If NI doesn't do it, then they'd totally disappoint me.

scamo

Kellie Myrum
Thanks for that dave...but......

Oooohhh..... I am not going to do anything more with my mapping, until I get 2.6 in my hands!!!!

scamo
Same here mate. I was about to release beta version of my custom mapping but Ean's Z2 video blow me away.
Rey Holubar
Thanks for that dave...but......

Oooohhh..... I am not going to do anything more with my mapping, until I get 2.6 in my hands!!!!

scamo
Marti Virkler
The manual is out of date and isn't valid for this version. Sorry. If you read it, then only for entertainment purposes.

Just turn the gain knob (without pressing shift) for each deck to move the effect units to that deck. This system is designed to sort of get around NI's bugs with the Jog mode and not being able to use that mode on decks C and D. All you can do with the jogs is scratch with decks C and D. NI also knows this and I hope they fix it (along with a couple other bugs I've pointed out to them).

scamo
Your video is also out of date, looks like you shifted the modifiers around for this version (modifers 2 and 3 are used for Decks A/C).

So let me update everyone. An easy way to figure out what's what is to organize your mappings by comments and look for the deck modes and use this to figure out the modifiers.

2nd, Scamo I know what the final mapping has to be. #14 should be key change, I'm rapidly coming to see that it's essential to have the ability to shift the key of a song. If you're going from a lower to higher song, starting a loop and building the key up to the drop is... well it's pretty god damn amazing sounding to say the least.
Laurice Jessing
Omg, idd, I see it now.
But if I go from:
Deck A to Deck C when I'm in deck A second effect mode, I return to deck A and I'm in another effect mode in deck A, so it does not stay in the same mode. not that it is a problem, but am I right?, thx Mad

ps: I don't know how to use the second effect, can you give more info how to use it ore a demo plz
Rey Holubar
Controlling the modes should be very simple. For instance, if you need the effect units on deck A, you turn the gain knob for deck A and also select the effect modes with the deck A gain knob. If you need the effect units on deck C, you turn the gain knob for deck C and you also select the effect modes with the deck C gain knob. The same goes for decks B and D.

scamo
Laurice Jessing
Thanks for your quick reply.
but I can not use the effect on deck A because if I twist gain he goes on to deck C active.
So every time I want a different effect he goes active in deck c.

Is it not possible to use only gain C for changing the effects.
Than the gain A to use for changing deck A & C to make it active?
I'm new and would certainly not comment, just an idea.
Mad
ps: Do we need to wait for a golden untill they fix some bugs?
Is there a full stable version from you for traktor pro 2.5?
Rey Holubar
The manual is out of date and isn't valid for this version. Sorry. If you read it, then only for entertainment purposes.

Just turn the gain knob (without pressing shift) for each deck to move the effect units to that deck. This system is designed to sort of get around NI's bugs with the Jog mode and not being able to use that mode on decks C and D. All you can do with the jogs is scratch with decks C and D. NI also knows this and I hope they fix it (along with a couple other bugs I've pointed out to them).

scamo
Laurice Jessing
Scamo, Nice Tsi. thx for it. I'm new whit it and have a lot to read and view your movie.
Just a question, how can I control the deck's effects A and C?
This I found in a manual of you:
5. Press "Shift" and turn the Deck C Gain Knob to control Deck A's effects
modes. Press "Shift" and turn the Deck D Gain Knob to control Deck B's
effects modes.
Thx Mad
Lolita Gissendaner
I am blessed by you SCAMO!!!!!
Rey Holubar
Please do. Please try to note the steps you take, when you browse. I have a sort of "memory" set up for browsing and I don't believe it is perfected yet. Also, when the modifiers hang and you want to reset, see if modifier 7 goes to 1, when you press the shift buttons. If modifier 7 goes to one, then the reset should work. If it doesn't, then the reset will not work.

I also found another bug too. And I could have sworn I had already fixed it. The gain adjustment when pressing shift doesn't work right. The effects modes change too. Ooops. Good thing it is a beta.

scamo
Marget Vasilko
Hey Scamo. This is the first chance I've had to play with your new mapping and I'm impressed. Still has some bugs to work out, but overall the mapping is amazing. A lot of the bugs are problems that happen when browsing the library. I tend to use my keyboard to browse (force of habit) and a lot of times if I do that it messes things up. Another thing is that sometimes when it gets messed up, the modifier reset doesn't fix it and I have to actually reimport the mapping to fix it. I'll try to pay attention next time I use it to see if I can narrow it down exactly.
Rey Holubar
Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
Where did you get the info about the possible future changes in effects control? Saw the video for the new Traktor mixer (with a "Flux" Mode) but haven't been able to find any other details.
Just some reading around the Internet and knowing that is the next logical step to the Mix Decks.

scamo
Desire Piedmont
Played with this last evening , definitely offers some nice sounds. Though getting used to figuring out what is where will take some time.

I believe I prefer it to the Instant Gratification style of effects control.

BTW the TSI comes with two F1 mappings and the S4 default, in case nobody has mentioned it.
Delena Katherman
Hope they get them fixed soon too, because what sounds like is coming up in the next version, might be a game changer in Effects control. I just hope we can also map the new controls too and they aren't locked out like with the Mix Decks. We'll see.

scamo
Where did you get the info about the possible future changes in effects control? Saw the video for the new Traktor mixer (with a "Flux" Mode) but haven't been able to find any other details.
Rey Holubar
Well, I'll sort of also take back what I said too, as The Riffer also "mixes in" and it is a total masher of beats. Haha...

But in the end, it comes down to what I've been saying all along. Effects and how they "effect" the music is just as subjective as everyone's taste in music and why I came out with the Builder version first. I knew, firstly, that my knowledge in effects isn't professional enough to pronounce this mapping as the greatest effects mapping of all time and secondly, music, mixing, effects etc. all come down to that human subjectivity, which means, I couldn't get the modes right for everyone, no matter how hard I tried. Everyone should just try to make their own effect modes or modify mine, so they have exactly what they want. I have given you all a basis to do it and mapping really isn't all that hard. NI was also looking at my earlier mappings too and I have pointed them to this one again, to remind them to fix a couple of bugs Traktor has with the FX Jogs Mode. Hope they get them fixed soon too, because what sounds like is coming up in the next version, might be a game changer in Effects control. I just hope we can also map the new controls too and they aren't locked out like with the Mix Decks. We'll see.

scamo
Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by UncleFunky
I'd say the exception is when beatmashing open drums, you can get some nice effects and change up basic drum loops nicely with a dry wet mix on the masher.
I totally agree. This is how I use the Beatmasher typically on the remix decks, which is why I like it a little dryer!
Desire Piedmont
But yes, beatmasher should be 100% wet. Beatmashing only works well, when it completely covers the music. I am pretty much sure it has been 100% since the very beginning.
scamo
I'd say the exception is when beatmashing open drums, you can get some nice effects and change up basic drum loops nicely with a dry wet mix on the masher.
Delena Katherman
It is probably the reverb that is making it too loud. But yes, beatmasher should be 100% wet. Beatmashing only works well, when it completely covers the music. I am pretty much sure it has been 100% since the very beginning.

scamo
That's so strange. The first time I used the Beatmasher was with the DJTT S4 mapping, and then yours. I never, ever changed the settings, and yet when I press the jogwheel it starts at about 50% Dry/Wet (until this mapping). Weird. I understand the 100% thing, but here's how I use the Beatmasher: I grab a beat/sound and the turn the jogwheel counterclockwise quickly so the effect essentially isn't heard (then I have that sound "cued" up). I keep the jogwheel pressed in, and then I like to slowly turn it clockwise to drop the trippy sound over the mix, fading it in and out and altering the pattern by using the jogwheel. With 100%, I can't do this without a LOUD dramatic filtery sound, but I can make some changes to the mapping for my tastes! Love the mapping, though.
Rey Holubar
Originally Posted by Stewe
Hey all. In case someone else wonders why effects in this mapping aren't working in earlier versions of traktor than 2.5 it is because NI have made changes in effect unit mapping by joining groupFX and singleFX pages in to one tab.

@scamo - Got any mix out of your mapping? Would like to hear how rest of jogFX modes sound like so you can maybe give me some idea that fit my workflow.
Good point on the effects. I forgot about that.

And nope, no mix yet, where I've used the other effect modes. I am finding ways to use the effects with my F1 and MF3d (in F1 mode) and want to add the techniques into my preview video. But I also need to find time to practice.....just not enough time.....

scamo
Rey Holubar
Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
Quick question: is Ean's Beatmasher (preset 1) supposed to start at 100% wet when you press the jogwheel? My older version doesn't start that way. For my style, 100% is just too much, and makes it seem very loud. I know I can change the parameters, but I was just curious if this is how he designed it to sound (or if there is something wrong with my setup/mapping).
It is probably the reverb that is making it too loud. But yes, beatmasher should be 100% wet. Beatmashing only works well, when it completely covers the music. I am pretty much sure it has been 100% since the very beginning.

scamo
Kristie Grosskurth
this is so rad, scamo for president!!
Delena Katherman
Quick question: is Ean's Beatmasher (preset 1) supposed to start at 100% wet when you press the jogwheel? My older version doesn't start that way. For my style, 100% is just too much, and makes it seem very loud. I know I can change the parameters, but I was just curious if this is how he designed it to sound (or if there is something wrong with my setup/mapping).
Kellie Myrum
Hey all. In case someone else wonders why effects in this mapping aren't working in earlier versions of traktor than 2.5 it is because NI have made changes in effect unit mapping by joining groupFX and singleFX pages in to one tab.

@scamo - Got any mix out of your mapping? Would like to hear how rest of jogFX modes sound like so you can maybe give me some idea that fit my workflow.
Rey Holubar
Yes, they should work with older versions of Traktor. Only Version 5 works with 2.5.0.

scamo
Lorette Schildhauer
Sorry, I forgot to mention it. This version works with Traktor 2.5.0 and isn't tested at all for older versions. Try installing the mapping a second time and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then upgrading to 2.5.0 might be your only fix.

scamo

No worries i will upgrade thanks again for all your hard work!!!!

btw does your 4.3 or 4.4. release work on anything below 2.5? just incase i cant upgrade yet?
Rey Holubar
Sorry, I forgot to mention it. This version works with Traktor 2.5.0 and isn't tested at all for older versions. Try installing the mapping a second time and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then upgrading to 2.5.0 might be your only fix.

scamo
Lorette Schildhauer
Hi all,

using traktor 2.1.2

installed this today, i can get the effects select to work (ie i can scroll though the effect) all the led light up in the sequence that they should depending on what effect i wana use. problem is the jog wheel isnt enabling the effects for me at all

also my effect 1/3 are different than 2/4 even when i first load the file ie.
"Press the load button on both decks" even after i follow this i don't get the following:

"Even though the indication is missing, you are now in
Mode 1 – "Ean's Beatmasher" on both decks."

the above dosent happen for me my left decks effects are different than right
Delena Katherman
Having a great time with the mapping. I was still using your old one, so this is a nice upgrade all around. Are the effects a bit "wetter" by default in this mapping compared to the old one? For example, preset one (Beatmasher) has a much more pronounced effect when I first push the jogwheel in then it does with your version 5 .tsi (for me). It's more dramatic and destructive (not necessarily a bad thing) then the version I was using. Is the discrepancy just on MY setup, or is there really a different in the presets?
Rey Holubar
Thanks for the feedback. I'll get the TSI updated today.

And yes, you have to "prime" the effect modes. I forgot to mention that above. No way to get around this, as it is an issue with Tracktor's effect switching. But, with my MPB and a fairly fast latency, I can still press the jog quickly to prime the effect mode and not interrupt the music any. It also sort of gives you a visual feedback as to what mode is selected, once you do the priming. Just be careful in mode 2 with "priming" more than once. It will launch the TTFX.

scamo
Kizzy Dienhart
quick update, i've been playing for about 2 hours now and no problems. love it, plus i'm super excited that shift+gain for fx select is gone!!

i did notice that when switching fx modes i have to give the jog wheel a quick "pre-press" or the fx won't launch.

fyi, the default f1 mappings are included. i just deleted them, no biggie.

next, i have to run my mf3d along side your mapping and see how things work out.

thanks!
Rey Holubar
Are there two F1 default mappings in it for you? (do you have any F1s?)

Scott
Delena Katherman
Just fired it up, and quickly ran through your presets. Seriously, I really enjoy it already. Already got some good inspiration after a quick pass through. Going to have some fun now! Oh, and I love the change you made by making the gain knobs turn the effect by default (no shift this time). Great workflow improvement. Thanks for your hard work.

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy