Scamo's Traktor S4 FX Jogs Xtreme Mapping - 5.1.0 Beta

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Scamo's Traktor S4 FX Jogs Xtreme Mapping - 5.1.0 BetaReply
Scamo's Traktor S4 FX Jogs Xtreme Mapping - 5.1.0 Beta
Posted on: 12.09.2012 by Rey Holubar
Ok,

Here is a pre-beta release of my FX Jogs mapping. It's beta, because it needs some testing before I'd say it is fit for live use and pre-, because I still want to make an introduction video showing my intentions with the effect modes.

This mapping has 13 basic or one-shot modes. Mode 14 is still waiting for the ultimate effects grouping. I still haven't found it yet. Modes 1 and 8 have have incremental modes. Here is a quick explanation of the modes.

Note to the hater's. I do not consider myself the world's best mapper or effects guru. It could very well be with some of the effect groupings I've come up with a sound engineer would do a two hand face slap, when he hears/ sees them. Haha! If you do know more, please give us some help with tips and improvements. I am really open for ideas and learning what is right with effects. But if you do want to share your wisdom, thanks, but also give up some credentials. If you just want to hate and be negative, don't bother.

So here goes.....

Mode 1 - Ean's Beat Masher

World renowned through this video

(2.2+ million views!!!, look for the left jog), In this video Ean does a really neat mashup of a favorite Depeche Mode song of mine "Enjoy The Silence". It was this mashup and the use of FX jogs which inspired me to even start mapping and was the spark for this mapping. This effect mode is great for so many reasons. Too many to write down actually. Take a look at my fundamentals video. The beginning showcases this one effect mode and what you can do with it.

This video also shows you how the mapping works, if you are new to my FX Jogs mapping.

Please note: One major change has been made since I made this video. You do not have to press shift to change the modes. Now you only need to turn the gain knobs. Press shift to change the gain with the knobs.

Mode 2 - Transbeater

This is an attempt at a user's suggestion to make a rising like effect. It is a beatmasher with a transpose stretch. You can use this to heighten a transition. When you let go of the jog, the TTFX cuts in. Press the jog again to turn the TTFX off. You can also just press the jog to cut in TTFX without the riser.

Mode 3 - Delayorama

This is a simple T3 Delay, but play with it some, you can get some neat effects with it almost like beatmashing.

Mode 4 - The Belofo

Also a beatmasher with Lofi and LFO. Use this over some vocals to give them a different flair.

Mode 5 - Flangeritis

A simple grouping with Flangerflux, but also fun in vocal, instrumental parts of a song. Fun anywhere really. Turn the jog to the right slowly and towards where the reverb gets close to about 90%, let go of the jog. You can turn the jog back to the left to fade out the reverb too. Try it fast too. Wow! Probably too much. hehe...

Mode 6 - The Riffer

A mix of gator and beatmasher and with the right beat and rhythm, you can make your own riffs. Lots of fun!

Mode 7 - Reverbogator

A reverb with gator, this effect group only needs small movements of the jog to have lots of fun.

Mode 8 - Army of Me's (Priscilla's) Sweep Drama Effect

Just a great classic sweep. Also has incremental mode, where you don't have to hold the jog.

Mode 9 - LOFI Sweep

A bit like Pricilla's sweep, but then again different.

Mode 10 - Flanger Sweep

Running out of ideas, somehow I got stuck on sweeping effects. But I like this one too.

Mode 11 - Pulse Sweep

Ok, I know, I know. Too many sweeps.....

Mode 12 - Beat Slicer

Catch a beat and slice it in differently using the Wet/Dry. I added the W/D just recently and I need to have the W/Ds start at 0. Or do I? At any rate, the trick here is to blend in the sliced up 4 beats with the W/D. You use the jog to select the slice mode. Press shift to change the 3rd parameter of the slicer.

Mode 13 - LOFI Masher

Also an energy raising effect. Use with care.

Mode 14 - The ultimate effect grouping for jog FX - still not found.

That's it. Have fun and any constructive feedback is appreciated. Video is coming soon.

scamo

p.s. It just hit me, that I might have also two F1 default mappings in this. If there is, let me know. I'll update the file.

NOTE: When you change the effect mode, you must press the jog wheel once quickly, so the effects are primed and ready to go. After that, you can use the mode. The priming sort of also gives you a visual as to what mode (which effects) are selected.

NOTE 2: This mapping works with Traktor 2.5.0 and has only been tested by myself with this version. It may not work correctly with older versions of Traktor.

Also a small restriction is this mapping will go tits up, if you press the browse button for more than a second or two (for going into the copy mode). So just don't press the browse button for too long.
Lorette Schildhauer
Hey Scamo,

quick question what did u mean when u wrote for Army of me's effect that you can use incremental mode where u dont have to use the job wheel?
Dimple Allcorn
Originally Posted by scamo
To turn off the TTFX you just have to delete those mapping commands for Mode 2. Go into the Controller Manager, open my mapping and sort the comments column. Then look for Mode 2 and try to find the commands applied to effect units 3 and 4 and simply delete the commands for those units.

scamo
sweet thanks i will have a look through the mapping and see if i can get it to be the way i want it
oh one i thing ive noticed dont know wether its because of this mapping or something else but when i use hot cues it also changes my normal cue point so basically i have to remove 1 cue point so i can have it saved as the start of a track if you get what i mean... is there a button somewhere to change this?? sorry im still really new to this only got traktor and an s4 a week ago ish and used to mixing on vinyl so kinda a big change up!

but yeah thanks for an awesome mapping
James Beling
And yes, you have to "prime" the effect modes. I forgot to mention that above. No way to get around this, as it is an issue with Tracktor's effect switching. But, with my MPB and a fairly fast latency, I can still press the jog quickly to prime the effect mode and not interrupt the music any. It also sort of gives you a visual feedback as to what mode is selected, once you do the priming. Just be careful in mode 2 with "priming" more than once. It will launch the TTFX.
I use a button to increment Modifiers for switching FX Modes, instead of a knob, and I was having the same issue. My solution was to move the Effects Selector commands to this button. Now when I increment the Modifiers, the FX selections change too, and they turn on with the first press of the activating button.

In order for it to work, when you're mapping the Effect Selector, you have to set Fader/Knob to "invert" first, and then change the type of controller to Button as normal.

One possible downside is that you can't switch instantly from one active FX Mode to another, because as soon as you start incrementing the Modifier, you will lose any active FX.

I don't know if you can do this with a knob, but I thought you might be interested.

Awesome mapping by the way. And thanks for all the videos!
Quinn Hanthorn
Ok, I haven't been on my S4 since the initial 30 minutes the day before yesterday, but I've been reading a lot and I've decided I am going to see if I can integrate the following new functions into my mapping.

• 11 new "MacroFX" single-knob combination effects (obviously need to add these.)
    -believeing about adding these to the second layer of possible effects modes (i.e. shift + jog press = second layer) and only one per mode.
  • "Flux Mode" retains song position during HotCues, Beatjumps, Loops etc.
    -not sure what button or group of buttons (i.e. shift + some button) to use here. Any ideas?
  • Post-Fader mode for FX Units
    -I'd love to be able to toggle this somehow, but I am not even sure it is controllable with a mapping. Need to check. But if it is, where to put it? Or is it already controllable. Need to check
  • New gain system with independent Channel Gain knobs and Auto-Gain knobs
    -not sure what an autogain knob is supposed to be, but since my mapping overrides the gain knobs, I will definitely see if I can do this with the override function and still integrate this new function too.
  • New "Z ISO" EQ and "Z" filter models as featured on Z2 mixer
    -I doub't it is possible, but wouldn't it be cool, if you could switch the type of EQ on the fly without entering the Preferences window?
  • New "QuickSnap" behavior for the EQ and Filter controls
    -believeing on how to actually make an effect mode with this. Could be interesting?

What do you believe?

scamo
Hey scamo, I am excited to see this new mapping, keep up the good work. The mapping looks really good!
Constance Walkush
Im loading with shift load when deck is stopped and only happens in deck B. Thanks Scamo
Rey Holubar
To turn off the TTFX you just have to delete those mapping commands for Mode 2. Go into the Controller Manager, open my mapping and sort the comments column. Then look for Mode 2 and try to find the commands applied to effect units 3 and 4 and simply delete the commands for those units.

scamo
Dimple Allcorn
i like the feel of some of these effects but for example is there a way of turning off the turntable fx on effect mode 2?? this is really good that someone is bothering to put in loads of effort for others!! thanks man will keep testing it more and let you have more feedback once im a little more used to this!
Laurice Jessing
I am not so with mapping, I can only wait till vers 6 is commin out. I also read alot and try things, but its not easy. I follow this thread and thanks to everyone.
Rey Holubar
Thanks for that. Hehehe...VanGogo tried what I also thought about first. Adding flux mode to the cue buttons, but I then decided to go with the FX unit mode button. However, there is an issue with this too, as you only have two buttons and need 4 to change 4 decks. I've asked VanGogo how he did it, if at all.

scamo
Charline Dye
Scamo can map circles around me lol. My little mapping mentioned above just changes the stock S4 mapping to add functions I wanted with as little change to the stock mapping as possible. Mr Scamo's mappings are a whole different ball game. I tend to leave my S4 alone for the most part, and map the fun Fx stuff on a Oxygen 49.

Love your mappings Scamo! Always some great ideas in them and implemented nicely too.
New gain system with independent Channel Gain knobs and Auto-Gain knobs
-not sure what an autogain knob is supposed to be, but since my mapping overrides the gain knobs, I will definitely see if I can do this with the override function and still integrate this new function too.
The Auto Gain function is an addition to the auto gain that already existed that makes it easier to change the actual auto gain setting.

Traktor with auto gain on will set the gain to try and make all tracks have the same volume. Sometimes Traktor gets it wrong, and to change the auto gain value (so the next time the track would load with the correct auto gain setting) you would have to right click the track chose edit then change the value and click ok. With the new Auto Gain knobs you just turn them to change the auto gain setting for the track, and next time you load the track it will have the new auto gain setting.

In 2.6 the Gain will stay at zero when you load a track, but the boost or reduction in volume from auto gain setting does happen in a "pre-gain" stage. The idea behind this is obvious, but I'll say it any way. If all your tracks have a gain/volume level that is the same, they should all load with the gain knob at the same position, zero.

So the function is more for track preparation (like setting hot cues/loops). I can see using it on the fly to make adjustments when Traktor gets the setting wrong on a track that didn't get prepped before the gig, and to make adjustments to tracks that were prepped, but need some tweaking.
Delena Katherman
You could implement some of this guys simple mapping into yours, Scamo. Gives the S4 the ability to turn on/off flux mode (and other things) using buttons your mapping doesn't really use.

http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=60429
Kellie Myrum
Post fader effect mode can be activated via mapping. You will find "Routing Selector" command in FX unit tab, just set it to direct and as value choose post fader.
Rey Holubar
Ok, I haven't been on my S4 since the initial 30 minutes the day before yesterday, but I've been reading a lot and I've decided I am going to see if I can integrate the following new functions into my mapping.

• 11 new "MacroFX" single-knob combination effects (obviously need to add these.)
    -believeing about adding these to the second layer of possible effects modes (i.e. shift + jog press = second layer) and only one per mode.
  • "Flux Mode" retains song position during HotCues, Beatjumps, Loops etc.
    -not sure what button or group of buttons (i.e. shift + some button) to use here. Any ideas?
  • Post-Fader mode for FX Units
    -I'd love to be able to toggle this somehow, but I am not even sure it is controllable with a mapping. Need to check. But if it is, where to put it? Or is it already controllable. Need to check
  • New gain system with independent Channel Gain knobs and Auto-Gain knobs
  • New "Z ISO" EQ and "Z" filter models as featured on Z2 mixer
    -I doub't it is possible, but wouldn't it be cool, if you could switch the type of EQ on the fly without entering the Preferences window?
  • New "QuickSnap" behavior for the EQ and Filter controls
    -believeing on how to actually make an effect mode with this. Could be interesting?

What do you believe?

scamo
Rey Holubar
I wonder if the override is available in a secondary mapping and would affect the associated default mapping. Or would I have to actually add the commands to the default mapping for the override to work? The way it looks, it would be the latter and would mean back to the drawing board for my mapping. Whatever the situation is, I hope I can override the browse button, so that the copy mode doesn't screw up my mapping like it does.

scamo
Delena Katherman
Apparently when you set up a command mapping, there is just a box you check to override the default. I saw a screenshot and it looked pretty simple, but I haven't tried myself. They added a tutorial somewhere in the knowledge base at the NI community , but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...factory+map%29
Rey Holubar
@supraman1120 - it happened to me last evening too, but it was me turning the deck C gain knob, instead of the deck A knob.

@jdownesbaird - yes you are right. The Macro FX are just another effect (and a bit disappointing for me actually), so mapping them into a mode is going to be simple and it could be possible to chain/ layer them too. What also disappoints me some is, the bugs with the FX jog mode I reported to NI are still in the software.

Has anyone played with the post fader mode and my mapping?......buuhhaaaahahahahahaaha. That adds a whole other aspect to working with effects now. So many things to try out.....

And does anyone know how the mapping override thingy works? I didn't spend much time last evening looking, but couldn't find how to override any default mapping controls. And does anyone know how to turn on the flux mode? Haven't found that either.

Edit: Here is some information from NI about Macro FX and Flux Mode and Mapping Overriding. And it looks like I am going to have to start from scratch with my mapping now to improve it using the mapping override. Version 6 here we come! Just got to find some time....

Edit: with the new EQ quick snap function, I can see another FX mode coming....

scamo
Mikki Retana
Ran into an issue with 2.6 where I use the gain knobs to change effects modes, but, using the gain knobs to change effects disables the FX channels (1,3) for the deck that I am mixing on and defaults to deck C instead. I cannot figure this out.

EDIT: Re-imported the mapping and everything is working very well. Mapping plays nice with 2.6. Nice job scamo.
Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by Bassfly
2.6 is out!
Just messed around with 2.6 for about 20 minutes. In my short test, Scamo's mapping worked perfectly as is. It was easy to switch between his jog effects (using jogwheels, of course) and the new macro effects (by clicking one of the group effects and selecting a new macro, then using that knob for control). Really worked well, particularly on his effects that didn't use all three groups (you could replace an "empty" effect with a macro, and have even more options). Can wait to dig a little deeper!

EDIT: Also (and correct me if I'm wrong) it seems like the Macro effects behave just like the regular, single effects in terms of how they are mapped and assigned to an FX unit or group. Doesn't that mean you could create a jogwheel mapping that incorporates the standard effects along with the new macros, or multiple macro effects? Some of the macros are pretty destructive by themselves, but I imagine that people more clever than me will be able to combine them for some cool results. You could also simply create a mapping that made all the new macros into jogwheel effects, so that changing presets with the Gain knob would take you from one macro to the next.
Fannie Portilla
2.6 is out!
Rey Holubar
How are you loading the track? And does it only happen to deck B?

scamo
Constance Walkush
Hey Scamo! Great mapping! Just one question. Everytime I load a song into deck B the gain knob gets reset or something and it screws up. When I have the deck in scratch mode it selects the effects and if I scratch it does scratching plus the effect selected. When I go into the effects mode pressing load button, it acts as gain knob and doesent select the effects. If I push the jog no effect will sound. The only way of getting it right is resetting the deck by shift+most external offset. It happens to me every single time I load a song and is a pain in the ass!! I tried reimporting the mapping twice, erasing everything and starting allover again, but no luck... Am I the only one to get this? Thanks for your help and thanks again for such an amazing job
Rey Holubar
Well, I am not going to invest any time into my mapping until 2.6 is out. There is just too much new in 2.6 that is a total game changer for my mapping.

scamo
Kellie Myrum
Hey guys, glad you like it!

I love to create some more complex mappings from extreme I guess I had only one controller in my setup but always wanted to add new effect or trick to improve my performance with new techniques so my mapping needed more space but, I have easily burned all modifiers which can be only 8 in one mapping device. Then I have come to concept of adding new device to that same mapping to give me additional 8 modifiers so I could map more stuff using mostly jog and fader FX (till now there is over 40). Things like suercombos, masher mode, IG mode with MFpro superfader, one full delays n reverbs mode, Focus isolate FX rmx-1000 replicate, PLOOPER mode which is my favorite part (great for dubstep wobbles but I use it for techno) etc... Eight mode in total with four sub banks in last mode or other words like maschine's eight pages with additional four in any of pages basically but for full layer of controller. I call it modifier grid

This means I can take for example some of extreme mappings and put it in one of modifier page. In S4 case I would map that same button which activate jog FX modes in scamo's mapping to be "global" shift which turns all pads at that side of controller to this page selectors and definitely add double deck focus in one of modes to overcome A-C n B-D switching. In fact this principals can be applied to any controller to push mapping potential for DJ and controllerist.

For that video above I have modified fader to play as it's sending two CC's and did map effect amounts in relative mode so I could use rotary sensitivity to adjust parameters to have a full sweep in a half movement of fader. It's basically a macro knob. I believe that mapping macro effects with this setup will be interesting access but still there should be some jog FX combinations as well.

@scamo- I never heard your mapping actually, I know something from videos you posted but I would really like to hear more so I could know what you are eventually missing from my library that I could further suggest to you.

Cheers!
Laurice Jessing
Gee, why didn't you show me that video before? That could be a cool FX mode for the jog wheels too. Did you do that video? Do you know what effects are being used exactly?
scamo
Idd, nice effect, I'm jealous. I'll have to wait till Scamo comes out with something new.
Some simple mappings I can do, but what he does,
Kellie Myrum
I didn't cos I've read before that you already got masher and transpose in jogFX mode. Yes it's one of my bcd3000 videos that you can find in traktor tips n tricks thread as well as explanation for effects. Here is a pic for you:
Rey Holubar
Gee, why didn't you show me that video before? That could be a cool FX mode for the jog wheels too. Did you do that video? Do you know what effects are being used exactly?

scamo
Kellie Myrum
I believe it's a good guess that macro will be another FX unit mode and in that case it shouldn't be much of a problem to map selector with twist of a knob or any other type of controller to turn unit in macro mode but this automatically means that any of scamo's effect modes which requires two FX units can't be used in very same time with macro effects engaged.

@j-baird:

As long as those macro effects don't require two MIDI CC massages for left and right side from knob's center this should be walk in a park and if macros do need super knob you can map two modifiers to do the same job.

Rey Holubar
Good question. My stomach says not really. I believe I read somewhere that the macros can take up to 4 effects, so that would mean a minimum of two units would be needed. I would imagine you either can use FX macros or FX units and not both at the same time. So, I believe FX Macros will be like a third mode for the effects units. So you either have two effects units (group or single), or one FX Macro unit. It's just a huge guess on my part and I guess we will see soon enough.

scamo
Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by Stewe
One of the ways that I see how macros can be mapped to jogwheel is to make macros knob start from center at moment the platter is touched and further turning left-right can modulate effects regard to both sides of macro knob. This is only a thought since I haven't used it jet but in theory it should work using one more modifier trick.
That sounds cool, too. What I'm wondering is if you can map the Macro effect to something like the filter knob, and STILL be able to use the jogwheel effects in the manner we have been using it with Scamo's mappings.
Kellie Myrum
One of the ways that I see how macros can be mapped to jogwheel is to make macros knob start from center at moment the platter is touched and further turning left-right can modulate effects regard to both sides of macro knob. This is only a thought since I haven't used it jet but in theory it should work using one more modifier trick.
Delena Katherman
I rarely use the filter knobs on my S4. Wouldn't that potentially be a perfect knob to map to the macro effects? The macro effects change parameters differently depending on whether you turn the knob left or right of center, so they might work better than a jogwheel since you will know when you are in the middle.
Vicki Surran
Why cannot see video in italy now i cry
Rey Holubar
Yep. And the new version will make FX Jogs epic too.

scamo
Marti Virkler
Oh, yes! Thanks for that! Damn can't wait for 2.6 now.....

http://djworx.com/bpm-2012-ni-kontrol-z2-demo/

scamo
After reading through the built in macro fx... i'm really excited. lots of very expressive stuff for mixing in and out and build ups. Also... post fader FX pretty much makes this the most awesome update EVER.
Rey Holubar
Oh, yes! Thanks for that! Damn can't wait for 2.6 now.....

http://djworx.com/bpm-2012-ni-kontrol-z2-demo/

scamo
Fannie Portilla
Just viewed a Walkthrough Video on DJWOrx and there NI said, that in the new Traktor Version, you can build Mappings topped on the Standard Mappings and can switch if the Commands of your Mapping oberrides the commands of the Standard Mapping or not. Sounds for more possibilities, especially for your Mapping, Scamo.
Carla Pankow
Just getting into mapping and such and this just literally blew my mind. I'm so ecstatic about this! Great work on the setup. It's clean, easy to navigate and understand, and above all, works AWESOME! Thanks for your dedication to the profession and mapping world. Keep it up! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for new updates!
Marti Virkler
Originally Posted by jcarulei
Hi Scamo. I love your builder mapping and have fiddled with it a lot. I've learned quite a bit about mapping.

Anyways, did you mean that there will be no FX macros at all in 2.6, or just the ability to make custom macros? Thanks.
There will be macro effects, but we won't be able to custom create our own... Which is kind of retarded. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.
Royce Burkel
Bad news currently from the BPM. Custom FX macros won't be a part of 2.6, but might be added to a later version. Darn it.....

scamo
Hi Scamo. I love your builder mapping and have fiddled with it a lot. I've learned quite a bit about mapping.

Anyways, did you mean that there will be no FX macros at all in 2.6, or just the ability to make custom macros? Thanks.
Marti Virkler
Originally Posted by Madsoldier
Please don't wait! It is alsways interesting to see a mapping.

but,
The Z2 is a 2 channel mixer, S4 is a 4 channel mixer.
Is The Z2 better in someways?
Ore is this about the software 2.6 and the possibilities to make it better for the S4?
I like the S4 and its possibilities.

ps: "Bad news currently from the BPM", who is that?
DJ show going on right now.

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy