How To Use the Midifighter Menu Mode

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: How To Use the Midifighter Menu ModeReply
How To Use the Midifighter Menu Mode
Posted on: 30.12.2009 by robert chanda
NOTE This method of configuration still works but it is much easier to use the Midi Fighter Utility - Check it out HERE

How To Enter and use Menu Mode
20091230: created by Fatlimey

To enter Menu Mode, hold down the top-left key while resetting the
Midifighter. You can power on the Midifigher by either by plugging in the
USB cable, or by pressing an optional 6mm tactile "reset" switch that can be
soldered to the top left of the motherboard.

Continue to hold the top-left key until menu mode is reached, this will take about 2 seconds, you will know you have accessed Menu Mode as the LED will display 7 option keys and a flashing "exit" key:

Code:
    * * * *   <- Menu items
    . . . .
    . . . #   <- Flashing exit key
To leave any Menu page or the Menu system itself, just hit the flashing Exit key.

Any changes made to the options are only written to the Midifighter if you
exit the Menu Mode through the top level "exit" key - this allows you to
play with the options and be sure your settings are correct before
committing the changes, without having to remember previous values.
Only when you are sure the Midifighter is set up to your specifications
should you use the top level "exit" button to commit your changes.

The seven menu items are:

1. MIDI channel
  2. MIDI velocity
  3. empty
  4. Enable Keypress LED
  5. Select Fourbanks mode
  6. Select Expansion port Digital inputs
  7. Select Expansion Port Analog inputs

1. MIDI Channel
---------------

Code:
    # . . .   <- Flashing exit key
    . . . .
    * * * *   <- MIDI Channel in binary
    o . . o   <- increment/decrement keys
Each note generated by the Midifighter is generated on a single MIDI
channel. By default this is Channel 3, but the first menu item allows you to
change this to any of the 16 MIDI channels. The 4-bit binary value can be
altered by incrementing and decrementing or you can directly toggle bits in
the value itself.

NOTE: MIDI channels are written down as "1..16" but their binary number is
written "0..15", therefore all leds off will represent the binary value
b0000, which is interpreted as "MIDI Channel 1", b0001 is "MIDI Channel 2",
b0100 is "MIDI Channel 5", etc.

2. MIDI Velocity
----------------

Code:
    . # . .   <- Flashing exit key
    . * * *   <- MIDI Channel in binary (high bits)
    * * * *   <- MIDI Channel in binary (low bits)
    o . . o   <- increment/decrement keys
Each NoteOn event has an accompanying velocity. As the Midifighter keys are
not velocity sensitive we use a single fixed value for all events. This menu
item allows you to alter that velocity value. The 7-bit binary value can be
altered by incrementing and decrementing or you can directly toggle bits in
the value itself.

3. empty
---------

Code:
    . . # .   <- Flashing exit key
    . . . .
    . . . .
    . . . .
This menu slot is currently unused. Press the flashing Exit key to leave
this page..

4. Enable Keypress LED
----------------------

Code:
    . . . #   <- Flashing exit key
    . . . .
    * * * *   <- All on or all off, click to toggle
    . . . .
The LEDs react to MIDI inputs on the same channel and note numbers that they
generate when pressed. This allows advanced users to directly control the
display of information on the 4x4 grid using their software mappings. The
keypad also automatically lights the LED associated with a keypress. This
feature can be disabled if the user requires complete external control over
the 16 LEDs using this menu option.

The four LEDs of the "boolean bar" are either all on or all off. Press the
bar to swap between enabled and disabled.

5. Select Fourbanks Mode
------------------------

Code:
    . . . .
    # . . .   <- Flashing exit key
    * * * *   <- Selection bar graph (three states)
    o . . o   <- increment/decrement
This menu page allows you to select one of the three bank modes by using the
increment/decrement keys to move through the different options.

. . . . = Fourbanks Off

. . * * = Fourbanks Internal

* * * * = Fourbanks External

NOTE: If Fourbanks External is selected, the Digital Inputs menu page will
be disabled.

6. Select Expansion Port Digital Inputs
---------------------------------------

Code:
    . . . .
    . # . .   <- Flashing exit key
    * * * *   <- one LED for each digital input, click to toggle
    . . . .
Enabling this option causes the Midifighter to read the values of the
external digital input pins and track their state using a debounce
buffer. Each LED can be individually toggled to enable MIDI events to be
read from that digital input.

NOTE: If Fourbanks External mode has been selected, this menu page is
disabled as the digital inputs are being used as Bank Select keys.

7. Select Expansion Port Analog Inputs
--------------------------------------

Code:
    . . . .
    . . # .   <- Flashing exit key
    * * * *   <- one LED for each Analog input, click to toggle
    . . . .
Enabling this option causes the Midifighter to read the analog values of the
external Analog Inputs and generate MIDI events. Each analog input channel
acts as a "Smart Fader", outputting two CC values and two KeyDown events
along the range. See the section "Expansion Ports" for more information on
the Smart Faders.

Each LED can be individually toggled to enable MIDI events to be
read from that digital input.
Garry Bigaouette
I had this working all lovely in TP. Then i bought an s4 and TP2 and its doesn't work again now. Do i need a new TSi file? Whats the best way of loading the TSI files in TP2 now? Thanks for you help!
Neta Schlaefli
holding the top-left button doesnt work for getting me into menu mode. the button doesnt light up when pressed and the unit doesnt enter menu mode when reset. This is getting frustrating!! Ive updated the firmware successfully too.
Leeanna Ayla
If you don't have the buttons you need to follow the wire method.
Kimberly Lewark
The latest firmware fixes this problem for me.

So you need to enter boot mode using the two buttons on the back (usb plug facing up; hold the bottom one, press and release the top one, release the bottom one) and flash it with the latest firmware. This adds a 1.5 second delay to startup, but fixes the problem. Just hold the top-left button for 2 second while the MF starts and you should be in menu mode
Homer Lade
i cant get mine into menu mode??
Annabelle Fellowes
Originally Posted by KingRichard1st
Sir YOU ARE A KING!! This solved things for me!! Thanks you so much...
I can't get any of these techniques to work, have sent an email to the we store yesterday. Hopefully will hear back soon!
Maudie Ellars
Originally Posted by garethnevin
As you plug the usb in, tap the button, let go, then push the button again and hold it this time. thats all. it took a couple of goes to get the timing right though.

1. plug USB in
2. simultaneously tap the button
3. let go of button for a millisecond
4. push button down and hold.

Sir YOU ARE A KING!! This solved things for me!! Thanks you so much...
Annabelle Fellowes
Originally Posted by Yep.
Assuming that they're new MFs, Zach Dero responded to a post of mine that was similar. You have to hold the Reset Button under the PCB that is installed on all of the newer MIDI Fighters. I used a credit card to hold the button up. Hold the top left button and the reset button, let go of the reset button and you should enter menu mode.
Hmmm, so that means I have to remove the silicone case anytime I want to make a change? Unfortunately not going to be a practical solution for me... I believe I will contact the guys at the shop to confirm - but if it's gonna take more than 5-10mins max to change settings I might just have to send them back... I'm hoping it's just user error somewhere on my part lol
Annabelle Fellowes
Originally Posted by garethnevin
i had the same problem, and after hours of searching the community found an answer. Instead of just holding the buttons down and then plugging it in you have to do something different. This method goes for both the 4 corners method, and the top left menu button method:

As you plug the usb in, tap the button, let go, then push the button again and hold it this time. thats all. it took a couple of goes to get the timing right though.

1. plug USB in

This is what worked for me
Ok thanks I'll try that toevening ... But that doesn't really seem like a practical solution if you are saying you have to spend hours every time to access the bootloader/ menu?
Gloria Lemmel
Originally Posted by bradferris
I just received my midi fighters, and am trying to get into Menu mode to set up four banks mode. I hold down the top left button (the button closest to the usb plug) pull out the usb cable and plug it in while holding down the button but nothing happens? What is supposed to happen when menu mode is activated? My understanding is that the 1st 7 buttons should light up and the bottom right should be this flashing exit button?

ps i also just ran the firmware updater and I am on the latest version of OSX
Assuming that they're new MFs, Zach Dero responded to a post of mine that was similar. You have to hold the Reset Button under the PCB that is installed on all of the newer MIDI Fighters. I used a credit card to hold the button up. Hold the top left button and the reset button, let go of the reset button and you should enter menu mode.
Petronila Derer
Originally Posted by bradferris
Yep I have tried that a few times and on different computers, just nothing happens. Now I'm having trouble getting the MF into boot loader mode using the 4 corners method. It seems strange - I got two MFs at the sometime and they are both behaving in the same way. Though from what I've read and some videos I've seen it really should be as simple as holding that button?
i had the same problem, and after hours of searching the community found an answer. Instead of just holding the buttons down and then plugging it in you have to do something different. This method goes for both the 4 corners method, and the top left menu button method:

1. plug USB in

This is what worked for me
Leeanna Ayla
Yeah it really should be that simple. Maybe check the solder connections on the board. Next step would be to call DJTT.
Annabelle Fellowes
Originally Posted by photojojo
Try just unplugging it and the hold the button down when you plug it back in. You're correct in what's supposed to happen.
Yep I have tried that a few times and on different computers, just nothing happens. Now I'm having trouble getting the MF into boot loader mode using the 4 corners method. It seems strange - I got two MFs at the sometime and they are both behaving in the same way. Though from what I've read and some videos I've seen it really should be as simple as holding that button?
Leeanna Ayla
Try just unplugging it and the hold the button down when you plug it back in. You're correct in what's supposed to happen.
Annabelle Fellowes
I just received my midi fighters, and am trying to get into Menu mode to set up four banks mode. I hold down the top left button (the button closest to the usb plug) pull out the usb cable and plug it in while holding down the button but nothing happens? What is supposed to happen when menu mode is activated? My understanding is that the 1st 7 buttons should light up and the bottom right should be this flashing exit button?

ps i also just ran the firmware updater and I am on the latest version of OSX
Una Burson
same thing with mine i don't know how to fix it
Gloria Lemmel
Umm...I can't exit menu mode. The button flashes, and I can pound on it all day, but the it seems to not be working. Any answers? Ideas?
Madalene Ranjan
Originally Posted by HotFieryTech
Hey guys, my midifighter won't go into update mode or this mode. I need help!
We just noticed a small bug with the recent batch of PCBs. To enter Menu Mode please:

1. Plug your controller in
2. Hold down the top left button
3. Jump the reset pins on the bottom of the board. (step 3 in this thread: http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=17824)
Dominic Wiltermood
Hey guys, my midifighter won't go into update mode or this mode. I need help!
Ethel Saracco
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
reimport the tsi twice with the big import button then restart traktor? that fixes 95% of FX problems with DJTT mappings.

@rusty, what information do you need? most of it's in stickies on this community anyway.
Well I found the readme in an older firmware zip file. Specifically I was looking for the required specifications for linear and rotary POTs that will work via the expansion pins. So far all that I have been able to find on this community is that they should be 10k.
Tatum Ansaldo
reimport the tsi twice with the big import button then restart traktor? that fixes 95% of FX problems with DJTT mappings.

@rusty, what information do you need? most of it's in stickies on this community anyway.
Liz Kretz
i'm having a problem with the echo frezze buttton on my midifighter when i press it it mutes the track it does this three times in a row and then the fourth time it works ??
Ethel Saracco
Can someone please tell me where to find the Midi-fighter readme file? I downloaded the latest firmware and it doesn't contain the readme file. Thanks.
Elnora Wisegarver
Works great with my vci 100. Great job as usual guy's . Took me a few times but everything worked great on my mac . You must follow ALL instructions and make sure your in 4 banks internal mode then it works great .And if I can do it anyone can I am sort of tech illiterate
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by tenderheart83
ive flashed it with uploading the hex file to the midifighter updater and it was successful. imported the tsi file for the instant gratification but cant seem to get 4 banks mode working..... do i have to go into menu mode.. if so.. kinda new to that.. i cant seem to get 4 banks working. any help would be great
read the 1st post of this thread, particularly point 5.
Shaunda Delich
Originally Posted by HerbStrike
just flashed mine with the hex the internal function on the four banks menu is now available and the fx hold function works now love this mapping even more now

ive flashed it with uploading the hex file to the midifighter updater and it was successful. imported the tsi file for the instant gratification but cant seem to get 4 banks mode working..... do i have to go into menu mode.. if so.. kinda new to that.. i cant seem to get 4 banks working. any help would be great
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by mikecayton
I cant seem to fine the firmware for the midifighter? anyone know where i can find it?
The sticky thread in this community titled New firmware Midifighter-20110204
Terry Cruce
I cant seem to fine the firmware for the midifighter? anyone know where i can find it?
Estefana Musfeldt
just flashed mine with the hex the internal function on the four banks menu is now available and the fx hold function works now love this mapping even more now

Originally Posted by Fatlimey
The server for DJTechtools was recently moved to another machine, and they installed an earlier backup of the website without telling me. Finally tracked down the out of dat files and replaced them with the newest versions.

MFUpdate should be downloading the right firmware now.
Nice to hear that ALL is well again.
We'll await the next update.
robert chanda
The server for DJTechtools was recently moved to another machine, and they installed an earlier backup of the website without telling me. Finally tracked down the out of dat files and replaced them with the newest versions.

MFUpdate should be downloading the right firmware now.
Ella Rick
Originally Posted by blancodisco
This method loaded the proper firmware to get the new 4 banks mode working properly. Not sure why the Mac Updater app is pulling the wrong file down.
But this is easier way than the command line route, for sure.
Nice One!
I have the same problem, I can fix it now tho.

Originally Posted by itajeN
Okay lets see.

1.Drag .dmg out onto your desktop, then drag the .pkg onto our desktop instead of your app folder.
2.Download this : https://sourceforge.net/projects/midifighter/ (hit the green button)
3. Once thats done, extract the .hex to your desktop.
4. Open up the updater, hit file, then load hex.
5. Navigate to the hex file you downloaded and then hit upload hex
This method loaded the proper firmware to get the new 4 banks mode working properly. Not sure why the Mac Updater app is pulling the wrong file down.
But this is easier way than the command line route, for sure.
Dewey Melchi
Haha, hardly a genius my friend, I'm glad everyone that used my steps got it to work, it's alot more fun when everything is in order :P
Garry Bigaouette
itajeN you are a GENIUS - Thank you my friend, FInally by doing it step by step i have succeeded and thanks to all your help!!!!!!! I was adding then importing not importing the Tsi straight in. Now works a treat and i may say is F*cking Awesome absolutely love it!! Ean and DJTT need to be awarded by MIXMAG for New Digital Tech! Sod Allen and Heath the Midi-fighter is KING!
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by itajeN
Okay lets see.

1.Drag .dmg out onto your desktop, then drag the .pkg onto our desktop instead of your app folder.
2.Download this : https://sourceforge.net/projects/midifighter/ (hit the green button)
3. Once thats done, extract the .hex to your desktop.
4. Open up the updater, hit file, then load hex.
5. Navigate to the hex file you downloaded and then hit upload hex
This worked for me.
Leeanna Ayla
I wonder if all these people trying to get the firmware is what's causing the servers to go down?
Azucena Tarver
Originally Posted by Fatlimey
If you are having problems it sounds like MFUpdate is failing to create, download or load the temporary file.

EDIT: Worked it out! The DJTechTools servers have been up and down all day recently. I bet it's failing the download step because it can't contact djranking s.com.
Ah-HAH! I bet this is what was happening then. For some reason it always appeared that the download was successful though, and it proceeded "normally".. and yet never worked until I got the hex straight from sourceforge and plugged it in!
robert chanda
Originally Posted by elf
I had to do this too, to get mine to work. Would you mind sharing the "easy way" with us?
You open the DMG file. You drag the app to your desktop. You launch MFUpdate from the desktop. MFUpdate contacts our server and downloads a copy of the new firmware to a temporary file. You put the Midifighter into Bootloader mode, the software finds the the Midifighter by inspecting the USB hub, reflashes the device then deletes the temporary file.

If you are having problems it sounds like MFUpdate is failing to create, download or load the temporary file.

EDIT: Worked it out! The DJTechTools servers have been up and down all day recently. I bet it's failing the download step because it can't contact djranking s.com.
Candie Kletter
When i open the MFUpdate on my desktop i can only click "Update Midifighter"

i cant find a button with "load" where i can manually load the .hex file
arrrrrg

EDIT:
i got it ...
*downloaded the new .hex file
*opened updater
*the updater creates a temp. .hex file
*rename your downloaded .hex file with the name of the temp. .hex file
*run update and you will get into the 4bankmode

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply