How To Use the Midifighter Menu Mode

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: How To Use the Midifighter Menu ModeReply
How To Use the Midifighter Menu Mode
Posted on: 30.12.2009 by robert chanda
NOTE This method of configuration still works but it is much easier to use the Midi Fighter Utility - Check it out HERE

How To Enter and use Menu Mode
20091230: created by Fatlimey

To enter Menu Mode, hold down the top-left key while resetting the
Midifighter. You can power on the Midifigher by either by plugging in the
USB cable, or by pressing an optional 6mm tactile "reset" switch that can be
soldered to the top left of the motherboard.

Continue to hold the top-left key until menu mode is reached, this will take about 2 seconds, you will know you have accessed Menu Mode as the LED will display 7 option keys and a flashing "exit" key:

Code:
    * * * *   <- Menu items
    . . . .
    . . . #   <- Flashing exit key
To leave any Menu page or the Menu system itself, just hit the flashing Exit key.

Any changes made to the options are only written to the Midifighter if you
exit the Menu Mode through the top level "exit" key - this allows you to
play with the options and be sure your settings are correct before
committing the changes, without having to remember previous values.
Only when you are sure the Midifighter is set up to your specifications
should you use the top level "exit" button to commit your changes.

The seven menu items are:

1. MIDI channel
  2. MIDI velocity
  3. empty
  4. Enable Keypress LED
  5. Select Fourbanks mode
  6. Select Expansion port Digital inputs
  7. Select Expansion Port Analog inputs

1. MIDI Channel
---------------

Code:
    # . . .   <- Flashing exit key
    . . . .
    * * * *   <- MIDI Channel in binary
    o . . o   <- increment/decrement keys
Each note generated by the Midifighter is generated on a single MIDI
channel. By default this is Channel 3, but the first menu item allows you to
change this to any of the 16 MIDI channels. The 4-bit binary value can be
altered by incrementing and decrementing or you can directly toggle bits in
the value itself.

NOTE: MIDI channels are written down as "1..16" but their binary number is
written "0..15", therefore all leds off will represent the binary value
b0000, which is interpreted as "MIDI Channel 1", b0001 is "MIDI Channel 2",
b0100 is "MIDI Channel 5", etc.

2. MIDI Velocity
----------------

Code:
    . # . .   <- Flashing exit key
    . * * *   <- MIDI Channel in binary (high bits)
    * * * *   <- MIDI Channel in binary (low bits)
    o . . o   <- increment/decrement keys
Each NoteOn event has an accompanying velocity. As the Midifighter keys are
not velocity sensitive we use a single fixed value for all events. This menu
item allows you to alter that velocity value. The 7-bit binary value can be
altered by incrementing and decrementing or you can directly toggle bits in
the value itself.

3. empty
---------

Code:
    . . # .   <- Flashing exit key
    . . . .
    . . . .
    . . . .
This menu slot is currently unused. Press the flashing Exit key to leave
this page..

4. Enable Keypress LED
----------------------

Code:
    . . . #   <- Flashing exit key
    . . . .
    * * * *   <- All on or all off, click to toggle
    . . . .
The LEDs react to MIDI inputs on the same channel and note numbers that they
generate when pressed. This allows advanced users to directly control the
display of information on the 4x4 grid using their software mappings. The
keypad also automatically lights the LED associated with a keypress. This
feature can be disabled if the user requires complete external control over
the 16 LEDs using this menu option.

The four LEDs of the "boolean bar" are either all on or all off. Press the
bar to swap between enabled and disabled.

5. Select Fourbanks Mode
------------------------

Code:
    . . . .
    # . . .   <- Flashing exit key
    * * * *   <- Selection bar graph (three states)
    o . . o   <- increment/decrement
This menu page allows you to select one of the three bank modes by using the
increment/decrement keys to move through the different options.

. . . . = Fourbanks Off

. . * * = Fourbanks Internal

* * * * = Fourbanks External

NOTE: If Fourbanks External is selected, the Digital Inputs menu page will
be disabled.

6. Select Expansion Port Digital Inputs
---------------------------------------

Code:
    . . . .
    . # . .   <- Flashing exit key
    * * * *   <- one LED for each digital input, click to toggle
    . . . .
Enabling this option causes the Midifighter to read the values of the
external digital input pins and track their state using a debounce
buffer. Each LED can be individually toggled to enable MIDI events to be
read from that digital input.

NOTE: If Fourbanks External mode has been selected, this menu page is
disabled as the digital inputs are being used as Bank Select keys.

7. Select Expansion Port Analog Inputs
--------------------------------------

Code:
    . . . .
    . . # .   <- Flashing exit key
    * * * *   <- one LED for each Analog input, click to toggle
    . . . .
Enabling this option causes the Midifighter to read the analog values of the
external Analog Inputs and generate MIDI events. Each analog input channel
acts as a "Smart Fader", outputting two CC values and two KeyDown events
along the range. See the section "Expansion Ports" for more information on
the Smart Faders.

Each LED can be individually toggled to enable MIDI events to be
read from that digital input.
Valeri Millstein
Originally Posted by Kstarr
I have tried to access the Menu mode on my midi fighter 3D, but when I hold down the top left button while resetting the midi fighter I get instead all button lighting up in columns of different colours and slowly going through the colours, not the "7 option keys and a flashing "exit" key" described above.
What am I doing wrong?
Same here it just does this for eternity... I just want to turn 4 banks mode off. Help please?
Dewayne Katsura
Originally Posted by midifidler
Try another USB cable with the Midi fighter. Also does the Midi Fighter work without the X1 and S2 plugged in? It could be a power issue

The midi fighter does work with the S2 plugged in, The MF and X1 are the only ones running off the laptop the S2 is hooked up to an external power source so i am pretty sure there isnt a power issue. I will try another power cable when i get home from work and let you know, Do you believe all three could run in sync?
Sybil Mikulka
Originally Posted by DeVuzData
Got it Fatlimey, Thank You! My brain made it more complex than it really was... HAHA!
I dont get it? HEEEELP! somebody post a youtube video or something! I dont get any of this?
Maryalice Zwahlen
Originally Posted by JanuaryOne
I checked my brand new MF that I got two weeks ago and Fourbanks was off. I had little issues with the instant grat mapping so I though if I changed into Fourbanks mode these issues would be solved...
Now I changed the setup to Fourbank Internal, but now nothing is going through in Traktor. The MF sends data and I can see it coming in as MIDI data in Traktor but it doesnt actually do anything.

Why not?
Epic effing fail on my side. So sorry to keep you guys with that question... was in deckalized + grat mapping. Ouch! No more questions...
Maryanne Tegtmeier
Originally Posted by photojojo
Yeah I believe something went wacky with your firmware update. If you don't have buttons on your MF for reset try getting into boot loader mode using the wire method.

http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=17824
I finally tried this, and still can't get into the bootloader mode. After I pressed the red buttons, the MF is still connected and works like it works before, but no bootloadermode there.
Hilda Coiner
Originally Posted by timberwolves
Hey Guys,

there's a problem with my midifighter. I can't get to the menu mode to use the 4 Banks Mode, I unplug and plug in the mf while holding the top left button, but then nothing happens, no menu mode. Could this be caused by firmware update?

thx for your help.

Same problem. I've downloaded the firmware and successfully updated the MF three times now, but still can't manage to enter menu mode to change to 4 banks.

New version of MF, 2 wks old, so it should have had the new firmware in it anyway, but I wanted to be certain. Running Mac OS X downloader MFUpdate, was able to enter bootmode via keys at bottom (although NOT with 4 corner command), and it said update was successful, but I still can't enter menu mode to switch to 4 decks. Any other ways to enter menu mode?

I get the snake pattern at intro, then then lights up only

xxOx
xxOx
xxxx
xxxx

with O=lit, and x=unlit

Any ideas? Please?
Tatum Ansaldo
there are to little red buttons on the back side of my MF, near the usb-cable slot, but there is no description, which the reset, and which the boot button is.
Is it likewise then to the description on the pics you posted there?
The Reset-Button is the one nearer to the corner?
I assume so, you're lucky that you have one of the newer MFs. It can't do any harm to try a couple of different combos.
Valeri Millstein
Originally Posted by Kstarr
I have tried to access the Menu mode on my midi fighter 3D, but when I hold down the top left button while resetting the midi fighter I get instead all button lighting up in columns of different colours and slowly going through the colours, not the "7 option keys and a flashing "exit" key" described above.
What am I doing wrong?
Same here it just does this for eternity... I just want to turn 4 banks mode off. Help please?
Daphne Dreher
What am I doing wrong?
Adolf Hit
Can you point me towards the info you are using?

The utility can be used to do everything the menu mode used to do, I apologize if you have been lead down the wrong path here, this community has a lot of out of date information floating around...
Garry Bigaouette
But it says to use both?

I want to set up my MF pro to be Instant grat like my MF with the added features of the crossfaders?
Adolf Hit
Hi Rockson,

Please use the midi fighter utility to make any changes, this is much easier than the menu mode method.
Garry Bigaouette
When entering menu mode im only getting 5 flashing LEDS not 8 in the the menu items section. This is with th MF pro. Then im having issues when loading the TSI file, can anyone help please?
Dewayne Katsura
Originally Posted by midifidler
Try another USB cable with the Midi fighter. Also does the Midi Fighter work without the X1 and S2 plugged in? It could be a power issue

The midi fighter does work with the S2 plugged in, The MF and X1 are the only ones running off the laptop the S2 is hooked up to an external power source so i am pretty sure there isnt a power issue. I will try another power cable when i get home from work and let you know, Do you believe all three could run in sync?
Adolf Hit
Dewayne Katsura
Hey Guys,
I had this crazy idea in my head that i have been trying the last two days to get to work i am down to the last part, I bought the MF and X1 awhile back. The idea was to hook them up to my S2 by having the X1 control decks c + d and the S2 control decks a + b and then the midi fighter do all the effects for both, I have it right now to where the S2 does decks AB and the X1 does CD but i can't get the MF to link up it just displays the second LED and won't light up any other buttons, Any advice or help would be great!!!
Sybil Mikulka
Originally Posted by DeVuzData
Got it Fatlimey, Thank You! My brain made it more complex than it really was... HAHA!
I dont get it? HEEEELP! somebody post a youtube video or something! I dont get any of this?
Adolf Hit
David try installing the new Midi Fighter Utility and using the gui to configure the MF. You have probably turned of the LED press
Floy Stutesman
ok. so im in menu mode and i have 4 banks mode lit up. i have the left 2nd to top button flashing. when i press it its gone and the bottom blinks with only 3 center flashes. im so confused
Floy Stutesman
HELP! midi fighter doesnt work. it did, until i entered menu mode, i must of pushed the wrong button, now nothing happens.
Lillian Woolum
im having a similar problem now. cant get into boot mode to update, and cant enter menu mode... im somewhat confused on which update or firmware I need? any suggestions?
Maryalice Zwahlen
Originally Posted by JanuaryOne
I checked my brand new MF that I got two weeks ago and Fourbanks was off. I had little issues with the instant grat mapping so I though if I changed into Fourbanks mode these issues would be solved...
Now I changed the setup to Fourbank Internal, but now nothing is going through in Traktor. The MF sends data and I can see it coming in as MIDI data in Traktor but it doesnt actually do anything.

Why not?
Epic effing fail on my side. So sorry to keep you guys with that question... was in deckalized + grat mapping. Ouch! No more questions...
Maryalice Zwahlen

Why not?
Maryanne Tegtmeier
Yeah I believe something went wacky with your firmware update. If you don't have buttons on your MF for reset try getting into boot loader mode using the wire method.

I finally tried this, and still can't get into the bootloader mode. After I pressed the red buttons, the MF is still connected and works like it works before, but no bootloadermode there.
Hilda Coiner
Hey Guys,

there's a problem with my midifighter. I can't get to the menu mode to use the 4 Banks Mode, I unplug and plug in the mf while holding the top left button, but then nothing happens, no menu mode. Could this be caused by firmware update?

thx for your help.

Same problem. I've downloaded the firmware and successfully updated the MF three times now, but still can't manage to enter menu mode to change to 4 banks.

New version of MF, 2 wks old, so it should have had the new firmware in it anyway, but I wanted to be certain. Running Mac OS X downloader MFUpdate, was able to enter bootmode via keys at bottom (although NOT with 4 corner command), and it said update was successful, but I still can't enter menu mode to switch to 4 decks. Any other ways to enter menu mode?

I get the snake pattern at intro, then then lights up only

xxOx
xxOx
xxxx
xxxx

with O=lit, and x=unlit

Any ideas? Please?
Tatum Ansaldo
there are to little red buttons on the back side of my MF, near the usb-cable slot, but there is no description, which the reset, and which the boot button is.
I assume so, you're lucky that you have one of the newer MFs. It can't do any harm to try a couple of different combos.
Maryanne Tegtmeier

Leeanna Ayla

Maryanne Tegtmeier
The Bootloader-Mode also doesn't work anymore (holding the 4 corner buttons and reset the MF doesn't show me the patterns it should).
Im a bit confused right now
Leeanna Ayla
It takes longer with the latest firmware for it to get into menu mode. Are you waiting at least 2 seconds before letting go of the key? If you are, m y next step would be to reflash it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/midi...4.hex/download
Maryanne Tegtmeier
Does everything work outside of not getting into menu mode?
Yes, everything's working fine, but the menu mode.

I got the MF Instant Gratification Mapping v1.0.3 and this is also working ( can't switch decks because of the 4 Banks-Mode Missing)

thanks for your help, by the way
Leeanna Ayla
Does everything work outside of not getting into menu mode?
Maryanne Tegtmeier
Do you have an older version of the MF? Have you tried updating the firmware to see if you can access it after?
I got my MF just 2 weeks ago and I believe i updated the firmware properly (took the firmware I found here in the community ). Is there any possibility to check which firmware my mf is using?
Leeanna Ayla
Hey Guys,

thx for your help.
Do you have an older version of the MF? Have you tried updating the firmware to see if you can access it after?
Maryanne Tegtmeier
Hey Guys,

thx for your help.
Garry Bigaouette
Cool sorted it, i exported the x1 settings from TP
devozz baby
just dont repace the fx settings when u plug in the x1
Garry Bigaouette
Right go tthe MF working with the S4 sweet now.....but the X1 doesnt work. When i import it all the mappings disappear and if i connect it and replace the FX settings the MF doesnt work? What shall i do? Is there another X1 tsi file anywhere?
Garry Bigaouette
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
Works exactly the same way it did in TP1.
So i just clear out all my midis then re import them starting with the midifighter?
Tatum Ansaldo
Works exactly the same way it did in TP1.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy