Xone: DB2 Thread

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Xone: DB2 ThreadReply
Xone: DB2 Thread
Posted on: 30.09.2011 by Romelia Stankard
I believe it might be time for me to ditch my NI Kontrollers and get back to my Xonetacular heritage.

I wonder how much a DB4 and two K2s will set me back. This thing look perfect.

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Produc...eDB2&SubCatId=

Twin DSP FX Engines

:: Massive FX Library
XoneB2 has more than 50 FX presets divided into
5 FX types: Delays/loopers, Reverbs, Resonance,
M odulation and Damage. These are studio grade FX
Romelia Stankard
firmware update went through with a new flash drive, problem still persists so looks like it is going back
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by tomflynn
I'd also like to add, if anyone is believeing of either getting this or a pioneer DJM 900 - get the allen & heath.
the 900 does not record properly on certain mac osx. you can record out the back no problem, but digitally it gives all pops and crackles and a horrible fuzz sound.

That's only for the case for mac osx 10.6.8 and above, not sure about lion. Personally i believe it's a disgrace. How can you hope to sell a mixer that can't record properly.

Check the pioneer community s if you want to see more, there's a lot of unhappy people on there.
I gotta rant again that their customer service sucks.. they defer you to those community s and that guy pulse is pretty condescending in his passive aggressive replies. Anyways, if anybody is interested to see the bpm issues on the djm900 that I basically had to post on pio's community to even see if they'll respond - check my youtube account - kevins212 is the username. See the 5 vids labelled djm900 01 thru djm 900 05 for various bpm issues.

I ran same tests on db4 and the results were exactly as expected. I wont post those vids unless pioneers enrages me further by telling me that my issue is my own fault or something like that.

But ya.. stay away from the djm900 at least until they sort their issues out (or just come out with a new mixer that fixes the issues and call it the djm 900a thus screwing all the nexus owners).

The ONLY thing it has going for it is scratch cert which is absolutely amazing because it cant even midi sync properly to traktor (see video 3, 4 + 5 on youtube).
Romelia Stankard
Yeah its prob not even worth worrying about firmware this is a hardware issue
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
I just downloaded the updated, extracted it, formatted the drive and copied the file over
the only things I can believe of are:
1. try a different brand usb drive (i know u used 2 but were they the same brand?) - ive seen certain dj gear just refuse to work with certain usb drives yet work perfectly find with others.
2. to test the usb drive compatibility - try to SAVE SETTINGS from your mixer to the usb drive and see if that works. This would either prove or disprove #1 above as potential cause.
3. Check the version of the current firmware? Its not already updated is it?
4. Did you try the mixer setting reset via the menu? And then try the firmware update right after that?
5. In the manual - on the firmware upgrade page - it talks about some method of basically getting the mixer out of a frozen firmware upgrade. While power is OFF - hold down MENU button and turn power ON while continuing to hold the MENU button. Now Im not sure what this actually does so maybe Mixarchitekt can chime in on this. Nonetheless, I cant see it doing anything that would make things any worse than they currently are.

Good luck man.. and press proaudiostar to spring for fast shipping!! im pretty sure theyll do it if ur persistent (they may just do it without even having to hassle).
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by kevz718
What is the filename that you have in the ROOT of the thumb drive?

Perhaps you can take a video of the exact steps you go thru to update firmware showing the files, etc? It seems bizarre that this wouldnt work. It was one of the more simpler firmware update methods I've seen on dj products.

I'll be around and can try to help for at least another 2 hours.
I just downloaded the updated, extracted it, formatted the drive and copied the file over
Cliff Lohman
Tried both ways
What is the filename that you have in the ROOT of the thumb drive?

Perhaps you can take a video of the exact steps you go thru to update firmware showing the files, etc? It seems bizarre that this wouldnt work. It was one of the more simpler firmware update methods I've seen on dj products.

I'll be around and can try to help for at least another 2 hours.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by mix architekt
is the firmware in a folder? it should just be the file on the root level of the drive.
Tried both ways
Brant Briski
is the firmware in a folder? it should just be the file on the root level of the drive.
Romelia Stankard
I tried updating db4 firmware form two fresh formatted fat 32 flash drives and both the db4 could not find the file
Cliff Lohman
i called up proaudiostar and sent their return department an email, i'm pushing for them to at least offer me two day shipping so I don't have to go too long with no mixer.

from what i have done with this thing it is incredible. I did the reset on the mixer and i'll try the firmware update
proaudiostar should take care of it for u promptly.. they are pretty good with their cust service.. what did they say?

fyi, i bought mine from them too as they are in my neighborhood + give really great deals on gear. It was at my doorstep 2 days after purchase with their standard shipping. I believe it shipped from michigan or something like that. So even with standard shipping, u should be able to send it back + receive one within a week. Just make sure they understand that u dont want to be waiting for them to inspect the unit, etc. You should simply get a brand new, different one.
Romelia Stankard
xonetacular - give AM&S a call, as well as the people you bought it from and tell them your situation. you shouldn't have to suffer for their stock issue.

also, did you try the reset and the firmware update?
i called up proaudiostar and sent their return department an email, i'm pushing for them to at least offer me two day shipping so I don't have to go too long with no mixer.

from what i have done with this thing it is incredible. I did the reset on the mixer and i'll try the firmware update
Brant Briski
xonetacular - give AM&S a call, as well as the people you bought it from and tell them your situation. you shouldn't have to suffer for their stock issue.

also, did you try the reset and the firmware update?
Cliff Lohman
by the way - i have to say that the db4 has an AMAZING bpm detection algorithm in use.

At the moment - i have the djm 900 and the db4 sitting side-by-side and im doing comparisons (as I mentioned the bpm problem on the djm900 and the lack of pioneer to recognize my problem finalized my move to the db4). Im sending vids to pioneer to see if they will actually do anything about it or whether they'll just keep not responding to me.

Wont have both mixers for much longer so if anybody is curious about any comparisons, let me know and ill try to do it. My buddy is going to buy the djm900 in a week or two when he gets some cash so I got a little while with them both.

The sound difference is VERY VERY noticeable - the db4 has some special sauce when it comes to sound warmth. Usually, I dont notice big sound differences like some folks who notice differences in 256 vs 192 mp3s, etc etc. But Im using the exact same tracks and there is a HUGE difference. You can hear things going on in a track when played on the db4 that you cant hear on a pioneer. Its kind of crazy..
Romelia Stankard
I really hope so I'll try
Cliff Lohman
id bitch at the dealer to cover a faster shipping option.. realistically, if u ship today using 2 day UPS (which isnt that much more expensive in the grand scheme for the dealer) and 2 day UPS to ship back - then u have it by end of next week.

If they really wanted to show u customer service, they could do 1 day shipping and u have a new one on wed. But overevening is pretty expensive so meet them in the middle and ask for 2 day
Romelia Stankard
dam dude.. that sucks - id be pissed if i had to wait 2-3 weeks.. why 2-3 weeks? id expect whoever sold u the mixer should just ship u a brand new unit as soon as u return the broken one. if not, just return it flat out and buy a new one (thats what id do if they told me 2-3 weeks on a BRAND NEW unit). I could understand 2-3 weeks if u had warranty issues 6 months down the road but not when u 1st receive a brand new unit..

u did just receive it a few days ago right?

im pissed off for u lol - return it and demand a refund and buy a new one so u get it in a few days if they insist on a 2-3 week turnaround..
well no i mean it's going to be a week for them to get it when i ship it back then another week for them to send a new one if there is no delay which really sucks.

oh well, it has got me excited to get a working one this thing is a beast if it worked right.
Brant Briski
is this happening with headphones connected or only with external speakers?

you can try to do a full reset of the mixer via the menu, and also update the firmware with the latest version from the xone website.

if those two things to not remedy the situation, you should contact your dealer immediately and have them arrange an immediate exchange. if they are giving you grief get in touch with the distributor for the states, american music & sound:
http://www.americanmusicandsound.com/

contact me directly though the mixarchitekt site for anything else.
Cliff Lohman
I just hope the quality control is better on the db2 than the db4

I just got my db4 and am having issues. see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l5AE4Am-R8

someone else on here who ordered a db4 got a complete brick last week so this isn't isolated

from playing with it for a little bit this mixer is incredible, if only I got a fully working unit. Now I have to send it back and wait for a new one so this is gong to be a whole new 2-3 week process to get a working unit which really fucking sucks.
dam dude.. that sucks - id be pissed if i had to wait 2-3 weeks.. why 2-3 weeks? id expect whoever sold u the mixer should just ship u a brand new unit as soon as u return the broken one. if not, just return it flat out and buy a new one (thats what id do if they told me 2-3 weeks on a BRAND NEW unit). I could understand 2-3 weeks if u had warranty issues 6 months down the road but not when u 1st receive a brand new unit..

u did just receive it a few days ago right?

im pissed off for u lol - return it and demand a refund and buy a new one so u get it in a few days if they insist on a 2-3 week turnaround..
Romelia Stankard
I just hope the quality control is better on the db2 than the db4

I just got my db4 and am having issues. see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l5AE4Am-R8

someone else on here who ordered a db4 got a complete brick last week so this isn't isolated

from playing with it for a little bit this mixer is incredible, if only I got a fully working unit. Now I have to send it back and wait for a new one so this is gong to be a whole new 2-3 week process to get a working unit which really fucking sucks.
Audrey Pinda
This mixer makes me want to sell my soul. Esp. with the whole X-link business.
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
I really don't believe using an external sound card will affect your sound quality noticeably. I dream of having a DB4, but right now it's a DJM-800.
djm800 is a great mixer with its own great features.

i gotta say that pioneer + A&H both have my respect as far as mixers go (at least their flagship mixers).. they are just different animals and it comes down to preference. Maybe sound quality - A&H has an objective win over pio but everything else is subjective in my opinion.

i absolutely KNOW theres going to be things from my pio that i will miss.. for example - the roll feature on the pioneer i believe is more flexible than db4.. it is so dam easy to layer a roll over the current track and take it in and out in seconds. I know A+H can do it similarly by routing the roll to another channel + then blending the 2 channels but not quite as quick-trigger. And post-fader fx of course. I also believe the simplicity of their color efx are cool when used right tho some people seem to believe they are unuseable/cliche/whatever (I disagree - theres a ton of combos you can use to make them sound unique). The touchstrip triggering turned out to be pretty dam sweet too (I kind of thought it would be a gimmicky thing that wouldnt get much use).

That said, I believe im just looking for something new to spend my time learning and the DB4 has alot to learn about it. I had a djm700 for years and the 900 just wasnt different enough - tho I knew that going into the purchase - basically a djm800 w/ a soundcard + a touchstrip + a few new efx as far as traktor users are concerned. I believe where the djm900 DOES provide a good bit more functionality is when used with cdj2000s + rekordbox. They complement each other very well but I'm just too used to traktor to try to switch to rekordbox.

I just believe that A+H has a better chance of making this a new flagship product that gets better and better and better over time keeping it fresh + fun. Whereas Im pretty sure that pio will stop making any updates and put a new flagship mixer out in a year that will be souped up further.

Anyways, that's it for my thread hi-jack / pio A+H self-debate... back to the A+H product which is bad-ass!
Romelia Stankard
mmmmm my DB4 comes tomorrow

I just hope they eventually scratch certify this thing, maybe if the DB2 gets it the DB4 will. I hope.
Tatum Ansaldo
I really don't believe using an external sound card will affect your sound quality noticeably. I dream of having a DB4, but right now it's a DJM-800.
Cliff Lohman
Really? I use cdj-850s with SSL in HID mode and the accuracy is excellent.
To clarify - im on traktor.. Ive heard that ssl uses cdj advanced hid whereas traktor uses standard hid which is likely the difference in quality.

Dont get me wrong, it works and is manageable but theres a noticeable feeling of inaccuracy when trying to use the jogs in particular. I just set it up yesterday so maybe i need to tweak it somehow..

Are u on a db4 with ssl? If so, whats sound quality like? Im tempted to start using ssl again as i find that im not taking much advantage of traktors internal features outside of maybe one or two effects. But now that im going with the db4, im concerned that the sound quality may suffer if i go thru the ssl box. I believe i have the sl3 or 4 laying around so maybe ill do some tests.

Mixarchitekt - what r ur thoughts on going thru an sl4 with db4? Wasted sound quality?

Thnx
Cliff Lohman
kev - all of my tracks have loads of cue markers; i use them more of a visual reference to the structure of a track, and if i'm scanning a tune, i can quickly jump through each section via the midi map i've made for the DB4.

i'm working on new maps for the K2's right now that are based on my 4D tsis, this would add a seek function on a rotary encoder that allows you to zip around a track efficiently. i may have to consider where that can land on the DB4 map, but it's getting incredibly packed with controls as it is.

as for the xfader bits, unfortunately i've been physically removing the xfaders from all of my mixers for a few years now, so i don't have much to contribute to the discussion of fader feel.

but i will say that at the moment, the DB2 has the edge on the DB4 because the DB2 fx can be assigned post xfader; for scratch styles and tweaky bits, it results in amazing things. it will be a while before fully post fader fx land on the DB4; aux send mode is very, very useful in the mean time.

also - sound quality differences between the two are minimal - the differences are a byproduct of the internal routing... it's incredible fidelity from start to finish.
So i took the plunge and placed the order - cant wait.. Ill have to look deeper into the aux send when i get it.

Interesting that u remove the xfader completely.. U mean pull off the cap or literally remove it from the inside? Dont believe id have the guts to do that on a 2k dollar mixer but i can definitely see how a dj who doesnt scratch would get better performance out of the db4 by just using channel faders. Maybe ill just start mixing with channel faders and emgage the xfader for some minor scratching when needed.

Have they given a release date on the k2 yet? I thought i heard december but i could be wrong.

Thnx again for all ur advice and info - much appreciated.
Tatum Ansaldo
Really? I use cdj-850s with SSL in HID mode and the accuracy is excellent.
Cliff Lohman
Personally I'd use a separate controller or CDJs for actual track control. The DB4 is a mixer, not really intended for use as an all in one solution.
Yep..agreed.. I set my cdj up in hid mode but it leaves a little to be desired as far as accuracy goes..
Tatum Ansaldo
What do u use in place of jogwheels to find parts of a track? Just beatjumps via midi and hotcues?
Personally I'd use a separate controller or CDJs for actual track control. The DB4 is a mixer, not really intended for use as an all in one solution.
Brant Briski
kev - all of my tracks have loads of cue markers; i use them more of a visual reference to the structure of a track, and if i'm scanning a tune, i can quickly jump through each section via the midi map i've made for the DB4.

i'm working on new maps for the K2's right now that are based on my 4D tsis, this would add a seek function on a rotary encoder that allows you to zip around a track efficiently. i may have to consider where that can land on the DB4 map, but it's getting incredibly packed with controls as it is.

as for the xfader bits, unfortunately i've been physically removing the xfaders from all of my mixers for a few years now, so i don't have much to contribute to the discussion of fader feel.

but i will say that at the moment, the DB2 has the edge on the DB4 because the DB2 fx can be assigned post xfader; for scratch styles and tweaky bits, it results in amazing things. it will be a while before fully post fader fx land on the DB4; aux send mode is very, very useful in the mean time.

also - sound quality differences between the two are minimal - the differences are a byproduct of the internal routing... it's incredible fidelity from start to finish.
Asha Kravetz
O_O When i get the extra cash.... My s4 is going out.. DB2 and 2 X1's or K2's...
Cliff Lohman
well, take a look at our ilive systems closely and meditate on the various elements that are present on every input and output of the systems and you'll get an idea of what's possible. :-) you may even have some suggestions of what you'd like to see. DB4/2 is the offspring of that dsp, and there's lots more to come.

it's also worth noting that the ilive from firmware version 1 to the current 1.83 are like entirely different consoles enable entirely through firmware updates with no hardware add ons.
Hey,

Few things came to mind as i thought about the switch to db4.. Wondering if u could give me ur thoughts..
1. What do u use in place of jogwheels to find parts of a track? Just beatjumps via midi and hotcues?
2. Is it just me or does the xfader have a unique cut that takes some getting used to? I used the middle curve on xfader and it always seemed like the 2nd track coming in took a while to actually hear.. I dunno its hard to explain. Curious if it is unique like that for a reason or if maybe the demo version i was using was a little banged up. The other thing that made me believe that maybe its supposed to be like that is that theres no visual marker for middle of xfader (i believe it was the E in the XONE logo that was the best visual of middle of xfader if i recall). Is it perhaps that xones are more geared towards channel fader mixing? Do u use the xfader?
3. I like to do some basic scratching and i found the sharp curve to be adequate. I believe im going to keep 1 deck and then go midi for my other channels. Since theres no scratch cert yet, ill just take my scratch samples and throw em on a usb key/cd and use that as live input. That should satisfy my need for occasional scratchinge. Then if scratch cert comes along in future, itll be a bonus. Any other creative ways uv seen folks do basic scratching using traktor + db4 that i may be overlooking?

Thnx again for ur input, much appreciated.

Kev
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by JDFS
Well, the first hands-on video off the DB2 is a fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m3_J...&feature=feedu
Yes, it's Mix Architekt!

Unfortunately this video shows us stuff we already know. I'm waiting for a video which let us hear the sound quality and the filters!
Will be tough to get a sense of just how nice this sounds via youtube.. Go demo a db4 cuz ill bets its same grade hi quality sound. It really does sound noticeably different than any other mixer/soundcard ive heard. Theres some special sauce in there for sure..

Anybody know if db2 sound quality would differ from db4? I dont believe it will. I can vouch that db4 sounds amazing in person.
Basil Forshee
Well, the first hands-on video off the DB2 is a fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m3_J...&feature=feedu
Yes, it's Mix Architekt!

Unfortunately this video shows us stuff we already know. I'm waiting for a video which let us hear the sound quality and the filters!
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by souldancer
Hopefully it will be the same, as it went with denon 1700 mixer, after the 1600 was certified the 1700 followed. so db2 certified the db4 will follow.

and i hope it will because i just ordered a db4
ive already sent an email to NI complaining.. im sure if they get enough people complaining, theyll do it. theres just no good reason why they shouldnt..

have fun w/ the db4!
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by LoveFyi
Awesome.
I agree the effects in traktor aren't as good as the on board dedicated made for effects DSP chip, but I believe they'll get there and have made an insane ammount of improvement, especially since traktors12 made it into the production world. Improved quality hopefully would just be a software update. Thanks everyone for the responses.
Ya, i believe your right - its only a matter of time before software sounds just as good if not better.. the thing about traktors effects are that the combinations of things you can do are practically limitless.. i mean if you believe about how you can map a single knob to do a bunch of things + tweak multiple parameters, etc - its just mind-blowing.. thats one thing software definitely has on on-board efx - u cant do that on the djm900 or db4. And theres def a couple of efx in traktor that i like using in addition to on-board efx (beatmasher + their 92 delay are probably the two i use the most).

Nonetheless, the db4 is ridiculous with its efx and when coupled with the filters + loopers - its got plenty of combos itself.. it was alot easier to pick up on it than I thought it would be.. in fact, the way they display the efx parameters gives u such a good handle on what the efx are actually doing to the frequencies which is really cool. With pioneer efx, it was pretty much trial+error/make sure ur bass is turned down or ull blow a speaker up..
Shalon Jaranilla
Thnx - had a play around with it yesterday for an hour.. Loved it. Going to give it a few days to make sure its not an impulse decision but i believe its bye bye for the pioneer..

The scratch cert thing just sucks tho.. What to do with my decks..
Hopefully it will be the same, as it went with denon 1700 mixer, after the 1600 was certified the 1700 followed. so db2 certified the db4 will follow.

and i hope it will because i just ordered a db4
Cliff Lohman
kev - the signal flow is a bit different on the DB4 than the layout suggests.

input matrix - gain - looper - fx - fader - filter x/y - master

we'll eventually have our kitty back in action; currently she bites my wife every time we visit.

lovefyi - keep watch for future firmware that offers many features that will make producers taking their productions out of the studio into the dj very, very happy.
Thnx - had a play around with it yesterday for an hour.. Loved it. Going to give it a few days to make sure its not an impulse decision but i believe its bye bye for the pioneer..

The scratch cert thing just sucks tho.. What to do with my decks..
Cristobal Madhavan
Awesome.
I agree the effects in traktor aren't as good as the on board dedicated made for effects DSP chip, but I believe they'll get there and have made an insane ammount of improvement, especially since traktors12 made it into the production world. Improved quality hopefully would just be a software update. Thanks everyone for the responses.
Brant Briski
well, take a look at our ilive systems closely and meditate on the various elements that are present on every input and output of the systems and you'll get an idea of what's possible. :-) you may even have some suggestions of what you'd like to see. DB4/2 is the offspring of that dsp, and there's lots more to come.

it's also worth noting that the ilive from firmware version 1 to the current 1.83 are like entirely different consoles enable entirely through firmware updates with no hardware add ons.
Cristobal Madhavan
Xlink, Yea maybe it'll come out of its shell. I'm not really seeing a benefit of a cheaper 2D at the moment(k2) but maybe they're headed to something more. Here's for hoping. Wonder how they plan on making the db4 more performance producer friendly by updating firmware. Probably add on related.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy