Xone: DB2 Thread

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Xone: DB2 ThreadReply
Xone: DB2 Thread
Posted on: 30.09.2011 by Romelia Stankard
I believe it might be time for me to ditch my NI Kontrollers and get back to my Xonetacular heritage.

I wonder how much a DB4 and two K2s will set me back. This thing look perfect.

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Produc...eDB2&SubCatId=

Twin DSP FX Engines

:: Massive FX Library
XoneB2 has more than 50 FX presets divided into
5 FX types: Delays/loopers, Reverbs, Resonance,
M odulation and Damage. These are studio grade FX
Marcos Zelko
Originally Posted by Just Friday
Thank you sir for the link, believe I'll be going for the db2 as I don't have a traktor sound card. Maybe the db4 if I can hustle a deal at my local shop!
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
A&H gimped the per channel VU meters on the DB2
Yeh that's a real bitch.
Tatum Ansaldo
Yes, you can use the DB2's sound card to record via USB. I'm assuming it'll work the same as the DB4, they have basically the same sound card.

In the menu, there's an option called 'USB routing'. In there, choose one of the 4 available sends and select Record. Again this is on the DB4 but the DB2 will be broadly similar:

IMG_0608.jpg

Now, in traktor input routing, select the DB2 send you've used as record in one of the input channels. Since you're not using timecode or live input to traktor, it doesn't matter which one you use. If you've used send 1 it'll be channels 1 & 2 of the DB2 sound card, if you've used send 2 it'll be channels 3 & 4, etc. Then go to mix recorder in traktor settings, set it to external mode and select whichever input you've chosen as the source. Now pressing record in traktor will record from the DB2's record out.

Is that clear enough?
Lavinia Qualls
Hey Guys!

How is the latency with the latest firmware with traktor 2.6.x?
I've read comments here and there that the db2 have big latency (11ms to 20ms), but I doubt they were running V.2 of the DB2 firmware

I'm have 5-6 ms with my zomo mc-1000 and I could use the RCA inputs of the DB2 but the DB2 has probably a better soundcard and using it would free the Zomo soundcard for let say Maschine!

Thanks for your input....hopefully the latency has improved with firmware?!?!?
Lillian Morch
Ordered mine for €999 with a free Xone XD-40 headphone.
Simona Schar
Just ordered mine last friday... 1190 € in a bundle with an AKG K67 Headphone and a 4 year warranty...
Yatta!!!
Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait
Marcos Zelko
Originally Posted by Just Friday
Thank you sir for the link, believe I'll be going for the db2 as I don't have a traktor sound card. Maybe the db4 if I can hustle a deal at my local shop!
Tatum Ansaldo
Fair enough
Kiyoko Wellisch
Just because it makes sense doesn't mean I can't get annoyed by it :P
Tatum Ansaldo
Well they kinda had to. They needed a lower price point mixer in the DB range and since both mixers are just DSPs with control surfaces, there needed to be points of difference.
Kiyoko Wellisch
It really bugs me when they make a produce deliberately worse just to make their flagship look shinier
Tatum Ansaldo
Yeh that's a real bitch.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Simona Schar
Everything is in this thread :
http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=49055
Marcos Zelko
Contemplating the db2 as its around the same price as the 92 in stores... Any reason I should or shouldn't get the Db2 over the 92?
Simona Schar
Thanks...
I made the 3/4...
Tatum Ansaldo
Yep that all sounds good. Good luck saving!
Simona Schar
What I try to achieve is this :

Sounds :
DB2 Channel 1: Traktor Deck C/TT Input for vynils-not timecode but real plates (maybe send into traktor, as it seems possible, to add the possibility to mash the plates),
DB2 Channel 2 : Traktor Deck A,
DB2 Channel 3 : Traktor Deck B,
DB2 Channel 4 : Traktor Deck D/Kaossilator pro

Input :
Send 1 : Record deck
Send 2 : an anolog entry into traktor (this is fully optionnal, and will be the icing on the cake...)

Midi Input :
My Xone K2, fully remapped as a mixer companion.

The matrix seems to offer the versatility I search. The only other mixer wich could achieve this kind of versatility was the korg zero 4... But it's discontinued and seems to be overwelmed by DB2 overall quality (tell me if I'm wrong... I saw a fiew retailer who still sell it.).

Does it seem you to be a correct guess?
I believe I'm gonna buy it in the coming weeks (month maybe... depend how fast I'm saving money.).

Thanks for your help!
Tatum Ansaldo
OK I'll try and answer that in parts!

Yes, you can record from the FX return input.
Yes, in insert mode your traktor FX are added before the audio is sent to the mixer, so your first chain is correct.

I'm not sure what you mean by commutable. It's 8 in 8 out (or 4 stereo in and 4 stereo out, if you prefer) but of course the outputs have no physical connections as they're fed straight into mixer channels if USB is selected. What is it you're trying to achieve? 4 Traktor decks can be routed to the 4 channels via USB, and your turntable and kaossilator can be attached to analogue inputs. You can then choose to route them into traktor using the DB2's USB sends, or simply switch the input type of certain channels to analogue and route them straight into the mixer.

You have a possible 4 stereo sends INTO traktor, one of which you will want to use for record, and 4 stereo channels OUT of traktor. These are independent of each other so using more sends won't impact the number of traktor decks you can use. Overall the DB2 has 2 digital inputs, 4 stereo analogue inputs and 4 stereo USB inputs so that should be enough for most setups.
Simona Schar
Well... It answers my question, it's clear enough, but it not totaly answers my questions.
The fact is that analog inputs (my kaossilator pro and my TT) will be secondary outputs and that I primary mix on my traktor four decks (I massevily mashup tracks on the flight so four decks are necessary).
Can I send the record IN to the FX return input. What will happen to Traktor FX in this case? I assume that if they are in insert mode, they are treated before entering the DB2 (I plan to only let the Beatmasher and Beatslicer in use, so it'll be annoying if the db2 FXed tracks are beatmashed or bleatsliced...).
Will it work like this :
File->Traktor FX -> DB2 FX -> FX return
or like that :
File -> DB2 FXs -> Traktor FXs -> FX return

Moreover, Is the DB2/4 soundcard a true 4IN + 4OUT or a commutable 4IN/OUT (in this case, I assume I'll loose one of my four decks to spare One IN to record Mixes...).

I hope I'm clear enough for let you ansewering back...

Regards,
Pierre
Tatum Ansaldo
Yes, you can use the DB2's sound card to record via USB. I'm assuming it'll work the same as the DB4, they have basically the same sound card.

In the menu, there's an option called 'USB routing'. In there, choose one of the 4 available sends and select Record. Again this is on the DB4 but the DB2 will be broadly similar:

IMG_0608.jpg

Now, in traktor input routing, select the DB2 send you've used as record in one of the input channels. Since you're not using timecode or live input to traktor, it doesn't matter which one you use. If you've used send 1 it'll be channels 1 & 2 of the DB2 sound card, if you've used send 2 it'll be channels 3 & 4, etc. Then go to mix recorder in traktor settings, set it to external mode and select whichever input you've chosen as the source. Now pressing record in traktor will record from the DB2's record out.

Is that clear enough?
Simona Schar
Anyone?
Simona Schar
Hi fellows...
I have almost finished make my savings in order to totally modify my setup...
Here's what I plan :
- traktor pro 2.6 for "spining" the tracks,
- xone k2 for launching/browsing/beatmashing(/slicing)/looping/remix decks.
- a TT to spin vinyls
- as a core to sync the whole thing : the db2.

The only question I have is :
"Does the Db2 has enough IN/OUT to manage the whole thing (I know it can) AND record my mixs in traktor (in external mixing mode, obviously...) ?"
Elizabet Sledz
Nope. I'm guessing they're still testing the Cascading Effects or something, as that seems to be the primary difference between the two Firmware updates.
Tatum Ansaldo
Isn't it out yet? Sorry only been tracking the DB4 update which is already out.
Elizabet Sledz
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but has anybody heard anything in regards to the DB2 Firmware release?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Sweet
Tatum Ansaldo
The FX units can be chained on the next FW update that's on the way. They call it cascade mode.
Kiyoko Wellisch
It's really annoying me. It's nearly perfect- it just needs big VU meters. I <3 big VU meters and don't really like the DB4 enough to want to spend that much on it.

Thanks dude

Is the FX assign and the crossfader assign linked? So tracks assigned to the right of the crossfader are always on the right FX unit? Any way to assign channels to both units? Edit- you could assign to two units by putting the same audio into two channels with the input matrix, right? Shame you can't chain the FX units.
Elizabet Sledz
Hello everyone. I have a question- why doesn't the DB2 have beautiful long per channel VU meters like it's bigger brother? VU meters so small look like a pain in the ass.

And a question about the midi shift layer- which controls does it include?

god the DB2 is a cool mixer...
I'd guess mostly insentive to buy the DB4 Mixer :P

DB2 Website -- On this page, if you download the "DB2 Userguide AP8640", (I would link directly to it, but it won't show me the URL). You can find all the avaliable midi commands on page 32-34.

You should note that when you're in Midi-Shift mode, Many of Midi assignable switches (Such as EQ's) still function as normal, that is, they send a midi value and still EQ the mix. The FX section is the only section that disables during Midi shift, and even then, the filters still work.

In reality, the only section you're really going to want to map would be the 14 FX Buttons (Including the on/off switches), The Expression and Dry/Wet Knobs, the Menu button and the notched adjustment knobs above the FX.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Hello everyone. I have a question- why doesn't the DB2 have beautiful long per channel VU meters like it's bigger brother? VU meters so small look like a pain in the ass.

And a question about the midi shift layer- which controls does it include?

god the DB2 is a cool mixer...
Elizabet Sledz
Out of curiosity, for those who are running the DB2 as a Soundcard in traktor. How do you find your latency?

While I was able to get down to 9ish MS in both an S4 and S2 without any audible hickups, I struggle to get below 20 with my DB2. Even then, I'm always skeptical to use the inbuilt traktor effects as I end up with some Icky artifacts. (Although that's not often, consider I mostly use the inbuilt. Just the occasional Beatmash and transpose stretch, or Delays if I'm playing with the 3D).

Do other people find that the DB2 runs at a much higher latency?
Jeramy Verderosa
good
Felipe Rasper
Cool Vid.
Juliette Vensel
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by Nasca
Hello people!

Does anyone know if it would be possible to use filter mode AND normal eq mode simultaneously by mapping HP-LP-Resonance parameters on an external midi controller such as K2??
Trimodal eq sounds really good but, correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't have any takeover function on the eq knobs, so when you switch on the fly from eq/isolator mode to the filter mode the sound will get disrupted at least for a couple of seconds unless you are super fast moving all the knobs or something.. Having control of both at the same time would be an amazing tool to make really long and smooth mixes.

And could external midi devices be mapped to control additional effect parameters on the db2? If i'm not mistaken, the db4 has one more encoder (there are two next to the little screen) to manipulate effects..

Thanks for sharing information.. great community !!
I'm hoping the K2 will eventually have such mapping options but it won't happen out of the box. I'm guessing it will be months down the road if not longer before they develop the necessary software.

But you can do what you want without the K2 with the input matrix, at least on the DB4. Put one deck on two channels, set the EQ of one channel to isolation and the other one to filters and you're set; you can then switch to the one you want to use without disrupting the sound. Im not sure about the DB2 though because now that I believe about it it might only let you set the EQ mode for all four channels at once. Hope that's wrong though because that would be a shame (and a totally unnecessary limitation that they could probably address in a firmware update).
Brandy Garrie
Hello people!

Does anyone know if it would be possible to use filter mode AND normal eq mode simultaneously by mapping HP-LP-Resonance parameters on an external midi controller such as K2??
Trimodal eq sounds really good but, correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't have any takeover function on the eq knobs, so when you switch on the fly from eq/isolator mode to the filter mode the sound will get disrupted at least for a couple of seconds unless you are super fast moving all the knobs or something.. Having control of both at the same time would be an amazing tool to make really long and smooth mixes.

And could external midi devices be mapped to control additional effect parameters on the db2? If i'm not mistaken, the db4 has one more encoder (there are two next to the little screen) to manipulate effects..

Thanks for sharing information.. great community !!
Gertie Boniface
Thanks all for your replies.

I will check Traktor's settings and see if anything there is causing the lack of dynamic range. I take comfort in knowing that the DB2 should sound similar to the DB4, and also in the fact that it should have a 'cleaner' sound.

Perhaps my judgment is at least in part influenced by my listening setup for other music - I use hi-res FLAC files, a decicated DAC and an integrated amplifier with tube preamp. Pampered ear syndrome?

As for the filters, I guess I should have researched a little more (including testing the 4D at the store which i did not do). A large part of me feels I should make peace with the DB2 and trade it in for a DB4 next year once I save up some more. I need to quietly kill the part in me that is asking me to return the DB2 and get a 4D..
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
3. Are you trying to MIDI sync the db2 and traktor? Just use the db2 bpm detection and it should be spot on. I never have an issue or have felt the need to use traktor's midi clock. Check what range the bpm detection is set to in the menu.
plus from my experiments with using the midi clock in traktor it's not very stable with a lot of jitter. it *should* be ok so long as u press that SYNC button in traktor, but u will probably also need to repress it every few minutes else they might drift - depending on how cunning the db2 is at processing the clock.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by ananth
Thanks a lot, that helped.

I've had a couple of days to test out the DB2 at home and here are my initial reactions. Very curious to know if any of you agree / had a similar experience:

1. Extremely well built and feels great to handle
2. Tri-modal EQ is a treat

Dislikes

1. Underwhelming sound quality - Anything I put through it (mostly 320kb MP3s and WAVs) sounds pretty... unrefined on the output. The highs are not crisp and clear, and the lows aren't punchy. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Filters just not what I expected - This is my first A&H mixer and after having heard so much about the filters this is a let down. None of the intensity and the dramatic feel I associated with these filters I have experienced.

3. Effects/MIDI Sync - I've never owned a mixer with onboard effects and having lots of trouble getting the one on the DB2 to sync with Traktor's MIDI clock. It always seems to be slightly out of sync (I tested it with the Roller).

So all in all I'm slightly disappointed. Are my expectations too high? Will I be happier with the sound quality and filters on a 4D?

Once again, I appreciate all your thoughts very much.
On the dislikes.

1, since the db2 uses the same sound engine as the db4 if you are unimpressed with the sound quality I would have to assume you are doing something wrong. Could be traktor/soundcard settings, maybe traktors limiter is turned on, maybe you don't have traktor's output set properly and the levels on the db2 set properly to get proper dynamic range.

2. The db2 does not have the same xone filters that people talk about when they rave about a&h xone filters. The filters people rave about are the type that come on the 42, 92, 4d, db4, etc. where you have independant frequency and resonance control and select between hpf, bpf, and lpf and any combination. this omission is the biggest reason I would not buy a db2.

3. Are you trying to MIDI sync the db2 and traktor? Just use the db2 bpm detection and it should be spot on. I never have an issue or have felt the need to use traktor's midi clock. Check what range the bpm detection is set to in the menu.

You will probably be happier with the filters on the 4d but then again maybe not. what are you looking for in a filter? The xone filters the 4d and other a&h mixers have are very different from filters on other dj mixer- other mixers like pioneer mixers have filters similar in operation to the db2 where it is just a one knob high pass and low pass. As far as sound quality goes, the 4d sounds great and is analog- but the db2 has better sound quality and the db2 sound will be cleaner. The 4d sound quality is technically 'worse' since there is more noise but you might like the analog sound- in any case both sound very good.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy