Traktor Pro is locking up

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: Traktor Pro is locking upReply
Traktor Pro is locking up
Posted on: 18.12.2008 by Trần Trung
Hey Folks, I'm having a serious issue here and I would like to know if anyone here has an idea for this conflict I'm having. I'm using the latest build of Traktor Pro which is ver. 1.2 and Ean's updated version of the .tsi mapping file. My issue is that using any of the features of the FX/Juggle/Scratch on either jog wheel A or B Traktor Pro locks up, and when I turn the VCI off Traktor starts back to playing the track. Then I turn the VCI back on Traktor Pro Detects and I'm back in control again on the VCI. Now I have tried to switch back to firmware 1.2 to see would the issue continue and it did. My sound card is a M-Audio Fast Track Pro and I'm not getting any issues with it, but both are using usb ports and my external HDD is also on a USB port so could this cause the issue, should I get an adapter for the VCI that way its not using power from the usb. My processor is using 1.86 Ghz with 3gigs of Ram, while I am using and mixing I monitor my cpu usage and its not full its at minimum, I have exited out of everything running on the task bar, I even have my antivirus in Game Mode while using Traktor Pro. So if anybody out there that has some info on this issue, I'm all ears right now.. Thanx..
Scotty Kenniston
i loaded Pro tools mbox 3 sound card and LE 8 and now traktor dosent want to play at all.I uninstalled the sound card and Pro tools but it still dosent want to work.
Christie Rinder
can someone please upload the midi crash file please? i dont have it
Esperanza Marwitz
Well seems im not alone with my troubles !

I havent noticed anyone saying they are having problems with fast track pro working with Traktor Pro ?

I cant wait to get my new MBP as from previous posts it looks like its only windows that encounter the problems (surprise surprise )
Bethanie Valledor
I've been having this freezing problem ever since I first installed Traktor pro.

I run traktor pro 1.3, I have the latest vci-100 firmware, and i use a conservative latency with my echo indigo dj soundcard.

My freezing seems to be sort of random but generally occurs when I press the small deck fx buttons on the vci or am doing a slightly complicated maneuver, pressing several buttons at once.

Any quick fixes i should know of?
Earnest Spink
Hi guys, I have been having this problem since using effects and midi output with traktor:
  • If I use a beat masher long enough (sometimes very quick) Traktor will freeze
    with a high pitch tone.

• I then unplug the vci - the audio returns to normal (the track advanced during the high pitch tone) and when plugging the vci back I can continue to use the VCI.

• To reproduce the problem all I have to do is use fader fx mode with a beat masher or chained with a beat masher (has not occured with other effects - haven't taken the time to test it though)

I posted this problem before and someone gave me the tip not to use the midiout to the vci - meaning the buttons and lights will not give you feedback about their status.
The problem has never happened without using midi out but I also haven't really tested it.

What I can say for sure.
  • I can have Traktor Pro freeze up in under five Minutes using the beatmasher in fader fx mode with midi out configured.

• This on two different PCs.
  • Otherwise no problems with any Music Software or devices.

• Both installations are "stripped" XP installations with about every unneeded service and hardware option disabled or deinstalled (e.g. no bluetooth, wireless, pcmcia, finer scanner etc.).

• Setup in Signature.

Guys having the problem could try to reproduce the freeze like I described and then try it with the vci not beiing configured as midi out device in the midi section of traktor. Post the results.

Peace
Martha Klepper
Running Symantec Endpoint anti-virus.

I'll try the crash midi file next chance I get.

Have 2 gigs of RAM, a 4400+ AMD dual core, and I'm running off a Fast Track Pro (with an m-Audio Revolution inside the computer that I don't use for this).
Vernon Positano
Have you tried the crash midi file to see if you can get your VCI to lock up ?

If not, I'd really be interested in the specs of your machine, and what other programs you have running whilst using traktor (such as anti-virus)
Martha Klepper
Not to be contrary, but if you read the thread you'd see by post back there. I usually mix on a Windows XP machine. The result I posted was from that machine.
Vernon Positano
If you read the thread you would notice this only affects windows users.. I see from your signature that you are on a macbook
Martha Klepper
Just upgraded to the VCI-100SE/1.3 FW/2_3 TSI and have had absolutely no problems in the last few hours mixing.
Vernon Positano
So how many people are running traktor pro with a VCI-100 under windows xp or vista and NOT getting random freeze ups ?

If you are one of these people, could you please post the model of your PC/Laptop and what other programs you run in the background (including anti-virus).

I can't believe that it happens on two totally different machines I have, with different operating systems (xp & vista). Toevening I wondered if it was my anti-virus causing it (its the only common thing between the two machines), but disabling that didnt help either.

So please, if traktor and your VCI works for you under windows, with no lock ups, please let us know!
Johnny Achziger
I also have experienced the same problems on 2 of my PC's
has no relation to audio card used.

Traktor Pro Lastest Ver.
VCI-100 with 1.3 firmware (SE upgeaded)
Desktop: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz / 3Gb RAM / Windows XP Professional SP3 32 Bit
M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Laptop: Dell Latitude D600 1.8 Ghz /2gb Ram/ Windows XP Professional SP3 32 Bit / M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Had same results with usb powered or externally powered Traktor goes back to a responding program as soon as the VCI-100 is removed from usb.

looks to be somewhat random but usually when i am using the fader FX and the wheels and faders.

Hope this helps.
Soon Fulgenzi
same problem here...when using traktor with VCI-100SE and using the FX/Juggle effects traktor kind of stalls with the sound all messed up!
I'm using a new Audio 8 (NI) with power adapter, never had any problems besides this one...
Vernon Positano
Just thought I'd put my 2 pennies in on this thread. This sounds exactly like the same issue I and many other people have been having.

The problem is to do with traktor pro and midi out. There is clearly a bug somewhere.

As a workaround, go into the midi preferences and untick the VCI-100 as a midi out device.

Sure, you'll get no LED's working on the controller, but I bet your lock ups will stop.

I tried everything until I discovered this, from power adapters, to different usb cables and ports. But in the end, it turns out to be a VCI/Traktor midi problem.
Jamila Seigal
sorry folks was rushing and posted this in the wrong topic sorry xx
Jamila Seigal
Please Help I'm fuming!

The sensitivity switch (Touch Sensor Level) at the back of my vci has snapped off, I have not forced or stressed the switch. (labelled EO1).

The problem is i am not getting any control using that jog wheel now, how can I resolve this issue? I looks like a solder joint that hold the whole thing together. This is an issue I can't afford right now as have a New club opening to do next week.

How can this be resolved?

and where can I get a replacement, is it easy enought to fix?

I'm waiting on the firmware update & overlay so maybe fix the lot while I have the case off? Soldering etc is not a strong point of mine

Arghhh! this has really stressed me out now, i've had issue after issue TSP and now this! :eek:

Thanks for the help and info from this community .
Madlyn Trocino
I too have the same problem with Traktor decks freezing while using the VCI-100.

I have been having this problem since Traktor inplemented Plug & Play a while back.

I never had midi clock checked (ever) and I use all quality cables (including a 10 inch usb cable with a ferret that I use for the VCI). My USB power settings are set to the max. I use an echo firewire soundcard and run Windows xp sp3 (with all nessesary things disabled) through a massive deticated laptop (MTECH D900C) with 3 gigs of Ram. I have used a AC power adaptor for the VCI which acually caused the freeze to happen more quickly and consistantly then using just USB power alone. I have experienced this while using Eans 1.3 VCI firmware and all of Eans TKS and TSI's as well as Firmware 1.2 and just about every other TSI / TKS file imaginable. I have experienced this problem on 3 Different VCI-100's (2 Silver & 1 Black addition)

My problem is (and always has been) while using Traktor (Pro & 3.4) with the VCI-100, I experience deck freeze or deck lockups. The music doesnt stop playing EVER during this situation and I have to turn the VCI off and restart it in order to recover from the freeze. When I have to turn off the VCI and restart it, the like-le-hood of it happening again seems to be much greater unless I also choose to restart my computer in combiation with restarting the VCI (not a fun thing to deal with while playing live).

IMO this is souly a result of plug and play implementation on Traktors part. And somehow has everything to do with LED feedback as I experience vertually NO freezing if I dont use midi Out with in Traktor.

I also notice while playing long gigs, after about 3 hours, the LEDs on my VCI seem to lag. After a couple of hours, Visual LED feedback is about a second late, however the acual button, fader and Jog (etc) feedback is perfect. Only the LED feedback seems to suffer.

God Ive spent a fortune on being able to really up my game in the gig department with the beauty of the Traktor / VCI-100 combo, however the fear of experiencing a freeze in front of hundreds of people is overwhelming and I hate it.

Of course the freezes have happen at the worse possible moments. Like recently, when im mixing out of a track (with 20 seconds left) on Deck A, into a track on Deck B. Basically Deck A just stoped playing and I could do nothing about if because the freeze stops all ability for me to manmipulate Traktor what so ever (even with the mouse). So there I was frantically turning off the VCI, and waiting till Traktor un-froze while the song on Deck A just stopped and the end of the track. Of course I had a CD Cued up and ready to go.....but ya know I really f##king sucks...

Can anyone please shed some light on this? :eek:
Cecile Eyo
DJBigQ & Wondershock

Really appreciate the offer. Can't thank you enough for having a look at this. I have attached the file and anything you see that is odd or needs changing please let me know.

Cheers

CB.
Martha Klepper
Pretty awesome there are people in the community like you. I'll do what I can to help as well.
Trần Trung
OK Well at the Moment I am away from my gear so I can't do anything right now. but if you can post your midi map for your vci-100 when i return home I will set it up on my vci and see what i can find. If anybody else can help please feel free to do so because like everyone that is having issues, I'm new at this myself but I am willing to help out.

DJ Big Q.
Cecile Eyo
I just found this thread and notice loads of you are getting this problem. Specifically for me having spent weeks searching for and further developing a midi map that works for me, I'm using a VCI 100, Kontrol 1 and Traktor Pro 1.1.2. A really annoying/dangerous problem happens everynow and again. The left hand deck freezes, the phase meters go wild, the play button show it is on, but the track isn't moving. I only seem to get this with the midi map that I like to use, but I can't see how this is a mapping problem as the deck doesn't work with the mouse. To restart it, I have to shut down and reload, not good when playing live! From reading this I have to look at the midi clock however are the any other suggestions, all gratefully recieved!
Martha Klepper
I'm running a 2.2GHz dual core AMD chip, 2 gigs of RAM, and SATA3 drives. I don't run anything in the background when I'm running Traktor Pro, and I typically do it off of a fresh boot, too.

I know that doing the turn off/on thing unlocks Traktor... But that seems dreadfully inconvenient during a performance, wouldn't you say?

Oh yeah, I'm also running a USB-power Fast Track Pro and Ean's 1.4 tsi for Traktor Pro. And this whole setup is in a desktop.

Thanks for the reply, and I look forward to helping get to the bottom of this for VCI owners everywhere.
Trần Trung
Hi Wondershock,

If you are getting this issue it could be a number of reasons, one how fast is your pc/laptop and how much ram you got on it. Also what are you running in the back ground, when DJ'ing its good not to run programs while doing that because sometimes it ties the system up and confuses the cpu. Don't know why as I am still running into that issue at times. Also if it does it again turn off the VCI and Traktor should unlock then turn the VCI back on and after a 10 secs or so everything will be on track. Just try those things and see what happen, I really do believe its probably something running in the background of your system thats causing this issue, check it out and if not just reply and we will try to work this out. Goodluck

DJ Big Q
Martha Klepper
Same thing is happening to me.

Just got an adapter for my VCI-100 and running off of a short cable (really doubt it's the cable, though).

Here's my setup:

- VCI-100 Silver with 1.3 FW
- Traktor Pro with most recent updates
- Fast Track Pro with most recent drivers
- Audio 8 DJ
- Win XP SP3

I first found the problem when I was about 38 minutes into a set and the decks stopped responding.

One of the things I found lets on that the problem is about to happen is the LEDs "flickering" and generally looking like they're out of phase or something.
Martha Klepper
Same thing is happening to me.

Just got an adapter for my VCI-100 and running off of a short cable (really doubt it's the cable, though).

Here's my setup:

- VCI-100 Silver with 1.3 FW
- Traktor Pro with most recent updates
- Fast Track Pro with most recent drivers
- Audio 8 DJ
- Win XP SP3

I first found the problem when I was about 38 minutes into a set and the decks stopped responding.

One of the things I found lets on that the problem is about to happen is the LEDs "flickering" and generally looking like they're out of phase or something.
Tuyet Ogdon
Got the same problem too. I can reproduce it on my 2 laptops quite easiely. I'm loading a track in 2 decks and spin the jogwheels like crazy in vinyl mode. After 30-60 seconds of doin that, sound stops and I have to turn off the VCI to "unfreeze" Traktor. If I don't do this "stresstest" with the jogwheels, traktor keeps freezing randomly by using the wheels or knobs. Buttons seem not to be affected.

It doesn't matter if I plug in a 9V powersupply, use standart or modified .tsi, turn off MIDI-clock or use another of my 4 Soundcards.

I can avoid the whole problem by turning the MIDI output off, but this kinda sucks hard cause i miss the LED feedback. But i have to do it cause i cant risk such a freeze in the club. Mailed the NI supportteam but no response yet.

Usin: VCI 100 silver, FW 1.2, WinXP SP3, Audio 8 DJ, short high quality USB cable with golden contacts and ferrite.

Heres a threat in the NI community about it.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=80880
Karine Noe
Ok... so I've got an expensive usb cable and an apator.... and so far I've had zero crashes while using traktor in a regular manner.

However, when i tried to overload it by assigning a lot of LED toggles to my jog and started spinning it, traktor froze almost instantly, which means that the problem isn't fully solved yet.

Can I get some information as to exactly what is overloading the VCI and exactly how much information you can send to it without risking a crash?

How are Ean Goldens maps working out for all you others? (I'm running regular 1.2 firmware and hasn't tried one out yet myself) And has Ean himself commented this problem anywhere, since he uses some LED effects and has a Vestax hookup... does he know what functions or methods of mapping to avoid to not risk crashes, and if so, which are they?
Annetta Hartter
After realizing that the lights don't work if I disable MIDI output to the VCI-100, I turned it back on. Lights are working and no lock ups to speak of so far. My hunch is the problem was my USB cable. It's about 10 feet long, over that distance the USB power may be dropping too low. For whatever it's worth...

-doctorgrim
Karine Noe
Yeah, if I disable the LED output it's not a problem for me anymore either... but I depend on my LED's pretty much, and disabling them will mean that I have to buy yet another controller to get all the functionality i need.

Did the power adaptor allow you to use the functionality of the LED's?
Annetta Hartter
I'm having the same issue with my vci-100 and traktor pro v1.1.1. I believe I fixed it but I'm not sure which step fixed my problem. I disabled the MIDI Output to the vci-100 (USB Device (Emulated). My "Send MIDI Clock" setting in traktor pro has never been on. Also, I had quite a long USB cable to the vci-100, so I swapped it out for the short cable that came with my vci-100. I'm powering the vci-100 through the USB cable.

So far so, good. Problem seems to be solved. I hope this helps someone.

-doctrorgrim
Dulce Custeau
I bought a power adapter for the VCI 100 and it solved the problem.
Karine Noe
So... what happened? I'm stuck in the same spot as you are.

How are all other users coping with the problem?
Is this a batch-specific bug from Vestax?
Has everyone disabled the MIDI-out on their VCI's?
Dulce Custeau
I have midi send clock off, however i was believeing about getting a adapter for the VCI. Maybe you could just tell us more after the weekend
WrthKDs .
Probably doesn't help much but with TPro and the 1.5 TSI file (and MIDI send clock on..), I had the same issue when using anything from the FX section. Plugged in a power adapter for the VCI and so far didn't have a crash anymore. I *did* also have comparable crashed on T3, however *much* less frequent. I just had an hour of testing that was fine, before I could barely play 15 minutes Let's see what the weekend brings..
Adolf Hit
nope I dont have midi clock enabled....
Dulce Custeau
It solved the problem for me as well.
Now I'm using the 1.5 version and it looks up again. Beside this there is the already known problem that the left headphones button starts the right effect button. On the other hand the right effect button does not do anything...

Sorry guys- I use "phase monitor" as a marker to find lost midi commands and i forgot to delete one of them. I will be sending out a new mapping with the bugs fixed in the next few days.
Adolf Hit
Ive had this problem a fair bit from using the jog wheels,

Ill check toevening and see If I had midi clock on, pretty sure I dont though...

But Im using vista sp1 , traktor 1.02, a presonus firebox with latest drivers (2.46?), and 1.3 firmware.
Darren Garmany
diabling the send midi clock thingy solved it for me so far... thanks dj bigq
Renata Torbenson
Originally Posted by 4realMaster
Hi Guys!

The few hours after updating the firmware but before updating Traktor to the new version, I was able to see 2 problems, I dont know whether they have already been solved or not:
1. Flushing lights of the vci buttons
What can be done???
If you use Ean'S 1.4 mapping there is a little "bug" that creates those blinking lights.
The TSI file has a Phase Monitor output assigned to deck A. If you have two decks running and the phase is off D#2 is send continuously. By removing "Phase Monitor" from the Midi Mapping you get rid of the blinking buttons.

I already send an E-Mail explaining this problem, so will probably see an updated TSI file soon.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy