VCI 100 TP2 Overlay...WE WANT ONE!!!

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: VCI 100 TP2 Overlay...WE WANT ONE!!!Reply
VCI 100 TP2 Overlay...WE WANT ONE!!!
Posted on: 11.06.2011 by Deeanna Gripshover
Just before I say anything, I absolutely love this site and appreciate all of the work the djranking s team are doing for the controllerist community....however...

I really believe they should consider very carefully the possible decision to not create a new TP2 overlay for VCI 100. I love the arcade edition which I bought from the store and when I purchased it I was of the understanding that future support would be there.

In my opinion the VCI is still up there with any controller on the market as long as the DJTT team invest time and effort on mappings.

Please remember the shockwaves sent out when DJTT first released the 3.0 mappings, I am 100% sure this will be the case again when they release the TP2 mapping, however, without the overlay, it will struggle to match 3.0 success.

DJTT still sell both the SE and Arcade editions on the webstore therefore I feel they owe all future customers a promise of support especially given the $799 price.

The work they are doing with the midifighters is amazing but I really hope they don't fall into the trap of concentrating solely on one product. This relatively new controllerist community thrives on variety and evolutuion!

Please show your support for a new overlay by contributing to this thread.

Gareth
Audria Pechman
Would anyone be interested in custom machined plates that have the controls engraved? I am looking into this for myself and might be willing to make a few extra to sell if anyone is interested. If I were to do this I would have to first make sure that the guys at dj tech tools are ok with this.
Jorge Conro
Please Please Please!
Cecile Eyo
I want one and do remember the promise that Ean Made to support the VCi100. Come on we have faith in you, don't let us down.
Mel Manelski
Yea a new tp2 mapping and the matching overlay would be awesome!
i'd definitely buy one!
Petio Petev
yes please!
Rosaline Garel
A new overlay would be great!
Elnora Wisegarver
I would love to bring my vci out of the box and have an overlay and mapping
Yon Mckesson
I want a TP2 overlay too!!
Rosana Bannan
I would like one too, please!
Lizabeth Peight
@ DysfunkDJ
i get where you're coming from brother I do, but have you ever tried to get several hundred people to agree on what show to watch on a friday evening , let alone the miniutae of a complicated design project? design by concensus is gonna be hard.

I believe that with something such as this, while members of a community can certainly contribute ideas and design possibilities, it does take one or two people working together to take the reigns, digest and absorb the disparate ideas of many, and condense it into a final design that may not please all of the people all of the time, but has a good try anyway....

...... oh wait......

Tatum Ansaldo
I want the new overlay too.
Britt Roback
Show your love here too guys http://www.facebook.com/djranking s

Lets be a community and make it happen.
Lizabeth Peight
@DysfunkDJ

Absolutely man, i believe all the posts in this thread accept the fact that DJTT is inevitably growing into a business as much as it is a community, and therefore it will only happen if it is at least economically viable to do so (setting aside for the moment issues of whether there is any obligation to do so on their part) I believe for the most part nobody here is going to throw their toys out of the pram if it doesn't happen.. simply that there will be very many disappointed souls (many of them core members) should a new overlay not appear, and additionally, if it is now the case that there will NOT be one, as one had been promised, DJTT should make this crystal clear and not drop vague hints in mappings community s. Many are either keeping their VCIs or even purchasing them on the understanding that there will be specific TP2 support. If this is not the case just tell us so, so people can move on and buy an S4. I believe one main reason for this thread and peoples frustration is that, an overlay was promised some time ago and has failed to appear and the hints now being thrown out that it may not happen is leaving those who ARE wanting a fuller control of TP2 (but want it with their VCI) in a kind of limbo right now, and DJTT should put us poor creatures out of our misery!
Britt Roback
I believe what we need to also consider is the economics. Considering the cost of designing a new overlay and the manufacturing there will need to be enough interest to cover the expenses and also to be in profit. I really want to see a new overlay but also I can see it from their prospective if they decide not too. I doubt it will be a case of "lets forget about those pesky vci users now". Im sure the real reason will be all the financing and profit margin. All business's need to make a profit to survive. Im sure DJ Techtools are no different. With alot of vci users now having the S4, we will all have to wait and see if there will be enough people ready to purchase. This thread will help. Posting on other community s may help also educating other vci users that a new tsi for vci is coming soon for tp2 and if there is enough interest a new overlay will be designed and manufactured. With enough people wanting to buy they wont be able to say no. Peace out.
Lawerence Bernt
Originally Posted by freakerz
I did confuse the firmware version with the mapping, but I meant the latter all along.

Now, I remember back in the day, Ean put up a file to make our own custom overlays...
As a community, couldn't we come up with a TP2 overlay/mapping?

It's my opinion that, with the S4 out, the VCI will be phased out..
VCI will be their TP1 controller, and S4 their TP2 controller.

I believe if we get a mapping there would be many community members, including myself who would be interested in helping create an overlay out of the blank ones.
Aprizal Rustarmadi
i found djranking s 3 years ago after buying a stock vci-100 from ebay but since then my beloved unit has had more faces, firmware and knobs purchased from the store than i can even remember. it has evolved from the silver single button functionality in traktor 3 to the multi-layered bad-ass sleek dj weapon it is now with traktor pro 2. i too truly love this community and and im very grateful for what you have taught me about music, controllerism, djing, and the vci! i'll never forget how impressed i was getting a phone call from ean himself nearly three years ago after posting difficulties with the 1st firmware upgrade. of course he got the issue sorted. i've visited this site every day since and though im probably guilty of taking more than ive contributed, i'd be more than happy to purchase overlays and even these deep mappings that i couldnt imagine creating myself. please please make another mapping and matching overlay making my vci current and even more powerful today than it was when it was brand new.
Latrice Atcherson
I did confuse the firmware version with the mapping, but I meant the latter all along.

Now, I remember back in the day, Ean put up a file to make our own custom overlays...
As a community, couldn't we come up with a TP2 overlay/mapping?

It's my opinion that, with the S4 out, the VCI will be phased out..
VCI will be their TP1 controller, and S4 their TP2 controller.
Lizabeth Peight
@rami

i believe you nailed it there with these words

"the heart of this great experience....has been my baby, my VCI!"

The VCI really is the heart of DJTT, and to abandon its evolution now would be, please forgive the pun, heartless.
Lawerence Bernt
I agree with everything stated here! When I bought my VCI, I was under the impression that there would be continued mapping and overlay support. I love this site, and I love my VCI. I've come to this community nearly every day for over a year now, bought many products from the store, and learned an awful lot in the process. But the heart of this great experience that i've embarked on over the past year has been my baby, my VCI!

Please don't let it fade into obscurity DJTT. At the very least I believe we need a mapping soon, it's been an awful long time since TP2 came out, and in the shop it is listed that mapping updates would be offered monthly, unless i read that chart wrong?

DJTT is a great community and I believe the loss of the VCI's prominence would be a very sad day.

just my .02
Lizabeth Peight
i believe you're a little confused there my man. 1.4 is firmware, and as 1.4 is the community reverse engineered firmware upgrade that gave us higher-res pitch faders and jog wheels, I cannot imagine there will ever be a need for a 1.5. You're kind of more on track with the second half of your comment, we are hoping that (as Tech Tools themselves said they would be producing) there will be a fresh overlay and mapping to take advantage of TP2 features, and yes as you rightly say, the sample decks would play a great part of that.

The attitude that some of us share is that

1. DJ tech tools should continue to support their core supporters and product who have made them what they are today..

and 2. A less generous soul could infer that it is a little cynical now that Vestax has stopped producing VCI 100km1s to buy up all they can and put what is arguably (with the release of TP2) an outmoded mapping and overlay on them selling at a premium price....

It is certainly their right as a commercial operation to do so, and they are certainly under no obligation to do as we hope, but i must admit I'm quite an old romantic when it comes to Tech Tools, and I would be greatly saddened to see them stop evolving the VCI 100mk1 and simply replace Vestax as a mundane supplier, while they unneccessarilly consign me and my VCI to history and pursue more purely commercial goals... but then again we all have to pay the rent. I'm hoping that even as the operation grows, they will give us at least one TP2 specific overlay, done out of love for the 'little controller that could'.
Latrice Atcherson
What is the concern here tho.. do you guys want 1.4 transferred over TP2? Or 1.5 to accommodate for the new features (sample deck)?
Deeanna Gripshover
@Dillinger23 probably the most passionate post I've read on this community , absolutely amazing.

@aligned it's not all about the benjamins, it's about loyalty to those members who through VCI purchases have made DJTT what they are today.
Lizabeth Peight
@aligned. i know dude, kinda my concern.

But I am really hoping that Ean et al do believe long and hard on this one, feel the love that we all have for this project, and do continue breathing new life into the VCI. I believe my own personal opinion is probably a given by now, but i REALLY would like to see a VCI overlay that would give the S4 a run for its money... so I will be keeping fingers crossed.
Suzanna Paddock
Good points.

We are definitely at a crossroads.
Johnna Sneesby
Well...it's not like they're making them anyways. DJTT has basically no actual money to lose on this.
Lizabeth Peight
but you have rather nicely illustrated a previous point. If VCI 100 not going to have a TP2 overlay, what is the point in buying one at all now?
Johnna Sneesby
I love the midifighters, and I was going to buy an SE from the store, heard about the mapping/overlay issues, and chose not to. So until I hear about a new overlay...probably won't buy one. Guess that doesn't really matter though since somebody will probably buy the 25.
Lizabeth Peight
well, what concerns me is this; now that Vestax are no longer producing the VCI 100, my beloved DJTechTools are happily buying up all the units they can get their hands on to effectively make them the only supplier of VCI 100s and, if the subtly alluded to possibility in the 3.6.4 mapping thread has any meat to it, there is now the possibility of being no future overlay (for TP2). Effectively making tech tools like any other manufacturer/supplier of a product, supplying a product with its own obsolescence built in, like simply EVERYTHING ELSE we buy. It would be turning their backs on the very (and very beautiful) thing that pretty much got all of us, tech tools/us the fans/everyone to where we are today. Some might argue that it is simply that the VCI 100 has had a good run, and its now over... but i say, nay SCREAM, "no it most definitely is not!" What made this all so special in the first place is that they offer an organic and continually evolving after market modification that takes a sturdily built product whose like, let's face it, is never to be seen again (absolutely ALL controllers are now made of plastic including the VCI 100mk2), and breathe into it an almost infinite lifespan! I mean talk about a convergence... an alignment of the stars... a near indestructible chunk of metal married to a potentially limitless number of fresh skins able to keep up with years and years of continually evolving software! It was and still is something completely unique, not just in the field of DJing, but in pretty much any sphere involving technology products I can believe of.. ok, perhaps i am getting carried away a bit here (I'm
Britt Roback
I agree guys. I'll probably get the VCI arcade anyway but ongoing support has to be a must. Problem is there is only one guy sorting out the mappings. As long as they promise to design one, I won't mind waiting. But to dismiss it all together won't be a good move. People have paid alot of money for these controllers and continue to pay good money. Come on DJ Techtools, do not let your core members down.
Lizabeth Peight
hey there, I am in 100% agreement with you on all counts, let's get as many names on this thread as possible, 1. to show that there is going to be a market for the overlay, & 2. make visible our concerns as laid out by Gareth above....

... another point just occurred, if they still buying VCIs to recondition and sell on the website, why would they not want to sell VCIs with a current mapping for TP2? surely it would only help them sell more of the units anyway???

Here's hoping our comments are taken to heart, as they generally seem to have been in the past, one of the very qualities that has always made us all feel part of something special through membership and patronage of this community .

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy