MF3D Launcher - Advanced Ableton Mapping (script)

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: MF3D Launcher - Advanced Ableton Mapping (script)Reply
MF3D Launcher - Advanced Ableton Mapping (script)
Posted on: 26.08.2012 by Brendan Andrascik
Hello everybody,
I've put together this script to thank DJTT for the Midi Fighter 3D they gave me as a prize for the previous video competition entry; and give you guys something cool and useful. This script is packed with features like global controls, tempo controls, launching stopping clips, track controls, drum rack and little stuff like master VU meter and blinking metronome. Its based on my previous script for the MF Pro.

More precisely it consits of 4 pages.
Page 1: is the General control page and consists of tempo controls, global play, stop and record and the controls to move around the "red box"
Page 2: is the Clip control page, you have a 4x3 grid and the top row is the stop button for each track.
Page 3: is the Track control page. Each row corresponds to one of the rows inside of the red box. And it consits of Track select, Mut, Arm and Solo.
Page 4: is the Drum Rack page. It plays the highlighted 4x4 grid in the drum rack. Make sure that the drum track is Armed and the Track input is On in the Midi preferences page.

Also the tilt Left|Right|Front|Back messages get automatically mapped to the first effect device of the selected track.

Please let me know if you find this useful or have any suggestions or requests!
A lot of this code was inspired by and "borrowed" from Hanz Petrov, Will Marshall and the Livid Framework. Without them this wouldn't exist.

Here is a video tutorial (currently upload in process)

and mapping diagrams

download: http://maps.djranking s.com/mappings/664
4x4 grid edit: http://tomashg.com/MF3D_Launcher_4x4.rar
Brendan Andrascik
Originally Posted by Chico Valencia
Dude, that works amazing now! I
Caprice Amigh
Dude, that works amazing now! I
Brendan Andrascik
Hey bro, I did that but nothing changed... did I miss something?

MF3D Script.jpg
hey man, you actually have to change the values like 68,69,70, etc to -1. Like in the example I gave above. #Track 1 is just a comment in code to let you know to which track the value is mapped to.

Let me know how it goes
Brendan Andrascik
Originally Posted by alienjournalism
tomash- is it difficult to change the channel of the four bank buttons? channel 4 is conflicting with my VCI-400 and causing me serious issues... i need to change it to something between ch7-ch12...everything should be gravy after this, thanks again!!
not at all open your MF Utility, and change the MIDI Channel option to lets say, 12, so the Bank and Side buttons will become channel 13. Verify that it is correct, and then head over to the mapping files and edit MIDI_Map.py. Find BUTTONCHANNEL and set it to = 11 ( or the channel value you chose -1), you should also do the same for PADCHANNEL, and finally SLIDERCHANNEL to 12. Save and reload the script.
This should do the trick, if you still have some trouble let me know
Caprice Amigh
Originally Posted by ghztomash
Hey Chico,
Sorry for the late reply.
To completely un-map the 3rd bank, open the MIDI_Map.py file in any code(or text) editor, and set each value in TRACKSEL, TRACKMUTE, TRACKSOLO and TRACKREC to -1. Like this:
TRACKSEL = (-1, #Track 1 Select
-1, #Track 2
-1, #Track 3
-1, #Track 4
)
Hey bro, I did that but nothing changed... did I miss something?

MF3D Script.jpg
Michell Wondrash
tomash- is it difficult to change the channel of the four bank buttons? channel 4 is conflicting with my VCI-400 and causing me serious issues... i need to change it to something between ch7-ch12...everything should be gravy after this, thanks again!!
Brendan Andrascik
Hey guys I
Caprice Amigh
Hey guys I
Caprice Amigh
Hey, what is that I need to edit or delete all together from the script to completely erase the Track Control Page, bank 3? I was believeing to enable that page to control a Battery 3 drum machine kit, boom!
Tomiko Schellenberger
This mapping looks great, I've just started using ableton and don't really have any production hardware so the fact I can use my midi fighter for production is a huge plus. Thanks mate!
Caprice Amigh
It is limited to the 20 predefined colors
Yeah that
Brendan Andrascik
Yeah actually it is a pretty cool idea! Though there are some technical limitations with the MF3D as well, unfortunately you cannot set directly full RGB color with the MIDI messages, so it is limited to the 20 predefined colors + 15 steps of the active and inactive colors. Plus find some way to differentiate a playing track from a green track.
But still a pretty cool idea, thanks for sharing!
Caprice Amigh
the clip buttons color is set depending on the state of the clip (ie if it is armed, playing, or cued), you could change those colors for each state yourself, but they would apply to all clip buttons. I believe there is a way to retrieve the clip colors from Live's API but that would require rewriting the Button and probably Scene classes.

I might take a look out of curiosity when I find some time.

That
Brendan Andrascik
Would it be a way of making the clip colours on bank 2, to match the colours of the actual clips in Live? Or would that be too much to ask at the moment?
the clip buttons color is set depending on the state of the clip (ie if it is armed, playing, or cued), you could change those colors for each state yourself, but they would apply to all clip buttons. I believe there is a way to retrieve the clip colors from Live's API but that would require rewriting the Button and probably Scene classes.

I might take a look out of curiosity when I find some time.
Caprice Amigh
Would it be a way of making the clip colours on bank 2, to match the colours of the actual clips in Live? Or would that be too much to ask at the moment?
Michell Wondrash
Good Hello,

After some discussion/troubleshooting with Tomash we've come up with a mod for his MF3D script and he asked me to post it.

http://eattasteheal.com/les/MF3DLaun...pHeavyMode.zip

The changes are simple but sweet if you only want to use the MF3D for triggering clips and motion fx.

This version does away with the 4 banks... clip page is all that's used, banks 1&2 buttons are free to assign (good for toggling on/active motion fx racks) and banks 3&4 buttons are set to jump the red box up/down 4 rows at a time respectively. Side buttons still work as originally implemented except L2 and L3 are now also free for mapping elsewhere.

I've also included my .mfs file that will make empty clip slots be unlit. Since empty spaces are the only way to mark placement without looking at yr screen I figured it would be better to make them distraction-free. Also set default stopped clip color to red because its sexy and wont contribute to bleached-out laptop face when performing

The only leftover issue is that setting the bank buttons to Toggle is better for keeping track of which rack is turned on (b1&2) but makes the zoom buttons (b3&4) have to be clicked twice in order to move. I'm still trying out both ways but the .mfs file is set to Hold for the time being.

A million thanks to Tomash for his patience and real-time tech help, its been a great learning experience!!
Brendan Andrascik
Hey guys,

I made a small mistake in the script and it did not use the MIDI_Map.py file for all of the controls, so if you wanted to change some things it didn't work. The latest update can be found here http://tomashg.com/MF3D_Launcher_4x4.rar
Michell Wondrash
thank you!!! diving in now...
Brendan Andrascik
Hey man! Thanks for the contribution of ideas!
You have a pretty good point, actually at first I had it implemented that way, to skip 4 clips down each time. You don't really have to learn Python Just open the MIDI_Map.py file and assign MIDI values to ZOOMUP, ZOOMDOWN, etc. and it will move around by 4 clips. Also to totally disable the Clip View button mapping just set CLIPTRACKVIEW to = -1. Now to change the kind of MIDI messages the button sends you have to take a look the MIDI Fighter Utility settings. I'm not exactly sure if the side buttons can send CCs just like the arcade buttons for momentary functionality (correct me if I'm wrong).

Hmmm, I believe the drum rack would sit better on the first page as it is triggers the same midi values as the first page. In reality there was no actual need to map it in the script now that I believe of it... Anyway, you can un-assign almost any element simply by editing the MIDI_Map.py configuration file!
Michell Wondrash
I posted this on Tomash's FB but thought I would repost for any python ninjas looking for ideas

Tomash- a couple of ideas:
for people like me who are using the mf3d as a replacement for a launchpad, it would be nice to have a "clip heavy" version where lets say bank buttons 1/2 toggle the red box up/down 16 clips and 3/4 send it 16 clips left/right...or some variant thereof. I don't need any ableton controls for the most part but you could do a half-in-half instead that keeps bank buttons 1/2 as general/clip mode and have 3/4 as move 16 clips up/down.

As it stands now, the ability to auto-assign motion controls to the active rack is *awesome* but it would be nice if it didnt automatically switch to drum rack mode when you use it. I toggle my motion fx racks on/active with buttons on another controller and would love it if the mf stayed in clip mode when doing so.

As I noted in the community , Im using the clip view side button to toggle on/off a specific VST that uses motion. It overrides then clip view function when midi mapped, but it is set to toggle. It would be nice if it was set to gate instead as there is no way to tell if toggle state is on or off.

I know what you're believeing...I need to learn Python haha.

Thanks again for your time and effort, I look forward to seeing this script evolve and hope this gives you some ideas!
Michell Wondrash
sorry again for taking such a long time to reply, I've been out of country backpacking.
so i made a quick patch to enable a 4x4 grid for those who want it. just follow all the instructions normally first and then add this folder into your MIDI Remote Scripts folder http://tomashg.com/MF3D_Launcher_4x4.rar

now for your last question I'm not quite sure what you mean, can you be more specific?
Thanks Tomash!!! This rocks!!

Last question was how to change the clip view button behavior from toggle to momentary, sorry for the incoherence

I dont need clip view and am using the button for toggling on motion effects...

Hope backpacking was a great adventure and THANK YOU for writing this script!!
Brendan Andrascik
Originally Posted by nowosph22
well with traktor I cant seem to be able to that
because this is for Ableton Live
Brendan Andrascik
Originally Posted by alienjournalism
Can anyone tell me the values to change in the python script to

1. replace the clip stop row with clips
2. make red box cover 4 scenes
3. make lower right side button gate instead of toggle

ive been hitting tomash up on the community s and his website to no avail, even tried djtt tech support.

if anybody can help with this it would be massive....
sorry again for taking such a long time to reply, I've been out of country backpacking.
so i made a quick patch to enable a 4x4 grid for those who want it. just follow all the instructions normally first and then add this folder into your MIDI Remote Scripts folder http://tomashg.com/MF3D_Launcher_4x4.rar

now for your last question I'm not quite sure what you mean, can you be more specific?
Brendan Andrascik
Originally Posted by monoaural
edit:
@3.00 / @3.13 you perform kind of an traktor-midifighter-combo-effect pressing the master vu-meter buttons in a combo. how did you do that?
nothing fancy really, those are just "manually" mapped different beat repeat effect devices.
Michell Wondrash
Can anyone tell me the values to change in the python script to

1. replace the clip stop row with clips
2. make red box cover 4 scenes
3. make lower right side button gate instead of toggle

ive been hitting tomash up on the community s and his website to no avail, even tried djtt tech support.

if anybody can help with this it would be massive....
Porter Terras
edit:

ok. i see. i believe i found my answer to my question 1)

i just have to change the monitor in track#1 from "IN" to "AUTO", drag 3 more drumrack-midi-tracks and "arm" the desired track via page #3. doing this i found out, that at the 3rd page it is possible to arm more than 1 track at the same time. nice.

still wondering about my question 2) ?
Porter Terras
hej tomash,

love you template. some questions here.

1) in your vid @2.10 you are talking about the 4th page. the drum rack. which in order to play it i have to arm the drum track on the 3rd page. can you please give more information where to drag the drumracks exactly? just gave it a try, created 3 more midi tracks and dragged 3 more drumracks into the miditracks in the template, which i can arm via the 3rd page as you described. so far so good.
but the when playing the drums, the your original drumrack #1 is also triggered.

2.) @3.00 / @3.13 you perform kind of an traktor-midifighter-combo-effect pressing the master vu-meter buttons in a combo. how did you do that?

thanks.
monoaural
Brendan Andrascik
Cheers guys! I'm glad you like it!
Era Roka
woooooooowwwwww...... this is amazing man!!!!!! thank you you are the best!
Yuri Fauntleroy
Looks very cool! I will give it a try.

Thanks!

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy