Let's talk about replacing Technics RCAs, which cables to use? monoprice are no good

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Let's talk about replacing Technics RCAs, which cables to use? monoprice are no goodReply
Let's talk about replacing Technics RCAs, which cables to use? monoprice are no good
Posted on: 03.01.2012 by Romelia Stankard
I used to buy all of my cables from monoprice and while a lot of their stuff is good I am not satisfied with their premium RCA cables. They are just too stiff and the wires are too thick that it makes them difficult attach to technics and zip tie to the board and you have to abandon the plastic clamping plate which usually secures the wires to the tone arm housing (anyone who has replaced cables on 1200s knows what I'm talking about). The connectors are also too bulky like monster cables and don't fit properly on soundcards like the Audio 8 with recessed RCA jacks.

So I am looking for quality RCA cables that are relatively cheap and have flexible wire that isn't overly huge with some nice connectors. I'm probably looking for 8'-12' to chop in half and have two cables for each turntable (I have 7 total I need to do now and plan on doing more in the future so I want to stock up). I know i can't beat $4 from monoprice but under $10 would be nice for something a lot better. I also don't feel like making cables, not worth the hassle here. The key is finding cables with wires that aren't too thick so they can be clamped with the technics plate.
Dj LsEx
Bought a used deck (1210 mk2) a couple of years ago. At the time I was in a huge rush to change the stepped-on cable out (don't remember why) and grabbed a 6' Radio Shack piece for it. It's the newer style with the fat, eye-shaped barrels.

They fit NI hardware just fine, but the insulation is on the stiff side. They coil up nice once you give them a memory for the shape, but I hardly take that particular turntable anywhere anymore. They're sturdy enough for me to be confident in them, but if I could do it again I'd have slapped on Neutrik connectors.

Neutrik is a habit I picked up while trying to be as cool as my pro sound friends at the local university theatre. Good stuff.
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
I can't tell if you're just assuming that or you have tried them.

These definitely don't fit and I don't see the neutriks being much better but who knows...

The last pic you have ...these are similar to a PRO set of RCA's I bought.
They almost destroyed my Audio 4's ports. Its the split pin thing....take a look at em. The ones I had, had these lil things on the side to keep them in place. Load of shit. Its for LARGE AMPS and shit. Not soundcards.

I cut them off and put Amphenols on.

The Amphenol and Neutrik are the exact same size in the front.
They work a TREAT!

I have not tried them personally, but this is what my research showed.
Osvaldo Newhall

These definitely don't fit and I don't see the neutriks being much better but who knows...

The Nuetrik and Amphenol RCA connectors works and fits perfectly with NI soundcards as well as any other RCA inputs in mixers, CDJs, etc.
Lisa Lochotzki
Spam (officially trademarked as SPAM; derived from Shoulder Pork HAM) is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation, first introduced in 1937. The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, and sodium nitrite as a preservative. Spam's gelatinous glaze, or aspic, forms from the cooling of meat stock.[1] The product has become part of many jokes and urban legends about mystery meat, which has made it part of pop culture and folklore.[2]

Varieties of Spam include Spam Classic, Spam Hot & Spicy, Spam Less Sodium, Spam Lite, Spam Oven Roasted Turkey, Hickory Smoked, Spam with real Hormel Bacon, Spam with Cheese, Spam Black Pepper, Spam Garlic, and Spam Spread.[3] Availability of these varieties varies regionally.

Spam that is sold in North America, South America, and Australia is produced in Austin, Minnesota, (also known as Spam Town USA) and in Fremont, Nebraska. Spam for the UK market is produced in Denmark by Tulip under license from Hormel.[4] In 2007, the seven billionth can of Spam was sold.[5] On average, 3.8 cans are consumed every second in the United States.[6]

Romelia Stankard

Lilliana Perris
I recon they should fit perfectly.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by sarasin
Yes they do!

if you can't get hold of em, try the Amphenol.

Like they fit well? They look kind of chunky so I just want to be sure they don't not fit all the way on like how monoprice, monster (gross), and similar connectors don't fit on the recessed rca jacks of NI cards.
Lilliana Perris
Yes they do!

if you can't get hold of em, try the Amphenol.

Romelia Stankard
Anyone know if those neutrik connectors fit the NI soundcards?
Romelia Stankard
Probably because they are the exact replacement

I am eyeing those heft ebay ones they look perfect but way expensive and I could only use them for my personal decks
Brendan Kerkvliet
Let me know what you end up with. I believe my right channel is out. I'm going to end up having to replace it.

Here's a question though, aren't these just regular rca cables?
http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equip...187/83687.html
Why so much? Because they're official Technics parts?
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Flash101uk
Excellent thread, ive been meaning to do this for a while. But like the rest of you, its difficult to find decent quality components that you know will do the job right.

I have spied this guy on ebay selling some nice cabling: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1604686954...84.m1423.l2649

Still a bit dear in my eyes, but they look the business!
Wow those look nice and even fit the clamp, damn expensive though. I would consider these for my personal decks if those connectors fit the NI soundcards properly but doesn't look like it.
Romelia Stankard
Hmm I still need to order cables.

I believe really almost all aftermarket cables will be too thick so I'm probably going to buy a big long RCA cable similar to stock technics to chop up and put decent connectors on. Even Hosa cables look way too thick. A few of the 1200s I grabbed have ghetto rca replacement jobs and they ditched the clamp plate and it feels like you could just rip the cables off the board. i'm going to have to order some of those clamps.
Corrin Penney
Excellent thread, ive been meaning to do this for a while. But like the rest of you, its difficult to find decent quality components that you know will do the job right.

I have spied this guy on ebay selling some nice cabling: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1604686954...84.m1423.l2649

Still a bit dear in my eyes, but they look the business!
Tashia Mcdunn
It's kind of tight, single cords are usually rounder and wider whereas that bracket really needs two thinner wires side by side.
Oh cool, I did not know that! You just saved me! I was just about to order that canare cable...
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by jimbrowski00
Xone, wouldnt a single xlr style cable fit under the bracket though? Or is it tighter than that?
It's kind of tight, single cords are usually rounder and wider whereas that bracket really needs two thinner wires side by side.
Tashia Mcdunn
Xone, wouldnt a single xlr style cable fit under the bracket though? Or is it tighter than that?
Yong Aptekar
Those Belkin ones will work, I had similar cables in my audio 6, but I ended up making shorter ones to cut down on the mess. I put up a thread about making cables, check it out, you may as well make some if you are going to chop a chord anyways. The connectors that I used are the same as those ones on amazon ^.

www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=41354
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by jimbrowski00
He goes from XLR to a pair of RCA's... why not do something like this but soldered straight to the turntable?
That mod is pretty cool and I had debated doing the same thing.

I believe the issue with most wires is getting them to fit in this piece of plastic:

Tashia Mcdunn
Guys,

Is there a reason not to use a 4 conductor cable like the one below:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/317395.html

that should fit under the clamp no problem. Then splice in two short lengths of cable for your final plugs.

Look at the cables this guy made up for his custom cases:

[ame]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/Soulsonica/TT_case_mod_4.jpg[/ame]

He goes from XLR to a pair of RCA's... why not do something like this but soldered straight to the turntable?
Osvaldo Newhall
Originally Posted by deevey
Yeah the Mk3's never made it to the Euro market for years.

PM'd you with my number, I'm in Eastwood, gimme a tinkle
Didn't receive any PMs but I sent you one.
Rolanda Clodfelder
Yeah the Mk3's never made it to the Euro market for years.

PM'd you with my number, I'm in Eastwood, gimme a tinkle
Osvaldo Newhall
Huh ? the 1200 mk4 was released in 96' in Japan well after Vestax or Kam or virtually every other DJ turntable manufacturer (Numark didn't do turntables yet or Denon).

It only took them 19 years and 3 revisions to finally get it right though :P

I was selling Vestax's PDT-5000's back in '95 at the height of the turntable boom. Mk3 was never even available until around '99 and even then really limited with the Mk2 being the regular sellers.

Back OT ... I just noticed the cables I'd talked about may not fit in a NI box :-S
My first Technics SL1200 were MK3 bought back in 1991 from Japan. The MK3 was also a "Japanese market only" release but fortunately, I was able to get a pair.

The MK3D another "Japanese market only" was released in 1997 and the US counterpart, M3D was released in 1999.

By the way, where in Manila are you residing? I'm from Manila. Send me your local mobile number via PM. Let's catch up.
Rolanda Clodfelder
Huh ? the 1200 mk4 was released in 96' in Japan well after Vestax or Kam or virtually every other DJ turntable manufacturer (Numark didn't do turntables yet or Denon).

It only took them 19 years and 3 revisions to finally get it right though :P

I was selling Vestax's PDT-5000's back in '95 at the height of the turntable boom. Mk3 was never even available until around '99 and even then really limited with the Mk2 being the regular sellers.

Back OT ... I just noticed the cables I'd talked about may not fit in a NI box :-S
Osvaldo Newhall
I have 2 sets of the shorted version of these for my setup (but got them for about $3 per pair for 1.5m) they are designed for car audio, but tick all the boxes nicely.

1. Flexible - kinda translucent / clear rubbery plastic and round really 2x2 pair except the ends where they split.
2. Tight connection to mixer.
3. durable.
4. Comes with grounding cable (I can't find the one with the ground on amazon, I picked them up locally).
5. Well shielded (always a good thing).
6. Don't cost an arm and a leg.
8. can be soldered easily.
9. lots of lengths (I got the 1.5m).

Amazon.com: DB LINK CL6Z DOUBLE SHIELDED COMPETITION SERIES RCA (6 FT): Electronics

I used to put Neutrik's on everything, but wouldn't bother doing it until the original's were almost broken / fell off / ripped out / stood on etc ...

Its a shame technics didn't take a leaf from Vestax's book and add an RCA faceplate to the damn things.
Actually they did even before Vestax/Numark/Denon thought of the idea. Check out the SL-1200 MK4.
Rolanda Clodfelder
I have 2 sets of the shorted version of these for my setup (but got them for about $3 per pair for 1.5m) they are designed for car audio, but tick all the boxes nicely.

1. Flexible - kinda translucent / clear rubbery plastic and round really 2x2 pair except the ends where they split.
2. Tight connection to mixer.
3. durable.
4. Comes with grounding cable (I can't find the one with the ground on amazon, I picked them up locally).
5. Well shielded (always a good thing).
6. Don't cost an arm and a leg.
8. can be soldered easily.
9. lots of lengths (I got the 1.5m).

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/LINK-CL6Z-DOUBLE-SHIELDED-COMPETITION/dp/B000QHBIAS/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325602128&s r=1-12"]Amazon.com: DB LINK CL6Z DOUBLE SHIELDED COMPETITION SERIES RCA (6 FT): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Tyt-79rAL.@@AMEPARAM@@31Tyt-79rAL[/ame]

I used to put Neutrik's on everything, but wouldn't bother doing it until the original's were almost broken / fell off / ripped out / stood on etc ...

Its a shame technics didn't take a leaf from Vestax's book and add an RCA faceplate to the damn things.
Romelia Stankard
Any suggestions on similar thickness wires that have the pair of strands joined together like normal RCAs?
Osvaldo Newhall
Originally Posted by DJKeyWee
We also use Neutrik connector as replacement one. Like someone says Hosa do decent and fairly priced cables.

Check out your local Pro-Audio store, they have it for sure.

Unless you're going to make a fixed installation, stay away of those aluminum foil alike shielded cable like posted above, use braided type instead. they last forever.
Those foil shielded cables you speak of are Belden Data Cables. They hold very well when soldered properly and the coat is sturdy. I use braided type cables too (Nobel, Monster Cable, and the likes) but fitting them with the cable clamp under the tonearm assembly cover plate is impossible because they are too thick. I also do installations in clubs, bars, and restaurants and the data cables are very nice to work with especially when running signal cables to powered speakers at one position to the other and daisy chaining them. I also use the data cables in running signals for DMX controlled lights.
Jacque Divinity
Hmm these look perfect and look a lot like the old style radioshack ones:

Amazon.com: RCA AG44 Deluxe Gold Plated Stereo Audio Cable (6 Feet): Electronics

Now I just wish I could find the same ones longer than 6' so I can cut one in half and use it for two TTs.
i used something similar to those a few years ago when i did my 1200's
Lisa Lochotzki
We also use Neutrik connector as replacement one. Like someone says Hosa do decent and fairly priced cables.

Check out your local Pro-Audio store, they have it for sure.

Unless you're going to make a fixed installation, stay away of those aluminum foil alike shielded cable like posted above, use braided type instead. they last forever.
Osvaldo Newhall
You can buy online.

Check this.

http://www.audiogear.com/Neutrik-RCA-Plugs.html

http://www.csedistributors.com/acata...ata-Cable.html

Here's where I get mine locally:

http://philippines.rs-online.com/web/

You can also order from them and items will be shipped to you.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Nicadraus
Here's what I use:

Neutrik RCA connector plugs:

[im]http://www.ultimatecables.com/zencart/images/rca%20neutrik%20closeup.JPG[/img]

and a pair of 1.5m Belden data cables (2nd row):

[ig]http://www.csedistributors.com/acatalog/dat-belden-equiv-l.jpg[/img]

You don't need to use those fancy monster cables. Waste of money.
Yeah it looks like I'm probably just going to have to make my own cables since I can't seem to find the right combo of wires and connectors for me although it would be nice if I found something I could just chop and solder on. Any recommended places to shop for wire/parts?
Osvaldo Newhall
Here's what I use:

Neutrik RCA connector plugs:

and a pair of 1.5m Belden data cables (2nd row):

You don't need to use those fancy monster cables. Waste of money.
Tillie Sliman
I was wondering this myself, I'll add anything to the thread that I believe may work. I'm planning on doing a massive overall to my tables with new leds grounded cables and new pitch faders, possibly powdercoating them as well.
Romelia Stankard
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...ource=googleps

similar cables as above but $1.98 a piece so I could just use one per table. Only difference is these don't have the red and black on the connector it looks like it is a sheath on the wire. They still look coax and thick though- I'm going to keep looking.
Romelia Stankard
Hmm these look perfect and look a lot like the old style radioshack ones:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N7HT4K/ref=sc_pgp__m_A318KZKAVS7VOQ_4?ie=UTF8&m=A318KZKAV S7VOQ&n=&s=&v=glance"]Amazon.com: RCA AG44 Deluxe Gold Plated Stereo Audio Cable (6 Feet): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GChZRgcXL.@@AMEPARAM@@51GChZRgcXL[/ame]

Now I just wish I could find the same ones longer than 6' so I can cut one in half and use it for two TTs.
Wei Lebeaux
Also try Hosa rcas. I have them on one of
My 12s and they fit the audio 4 well. Plus they arent coax style...
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by jsa83
have you looked at belkin rca cables? i have one that has to be tightened so that it stays secure on the mixer (or what ever you connect to)

Hmm, the connector look to be too bulky and chunky like the monoprice ones. See those don't work on the native instruments soundcards that have recessed jacks in the soundcard housing since it can only grip the end.

Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by bmwnutfrombirth
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shack-...item1c21263e00

They make this in a 6ft version. It is exactly what you want. The cable is stiff but movable, and the connectors are ARTWORK; perfectly sized for my audio 4 while being of the highest quality. I believe they'd make a great replacement cable....
Yeah those connectors look pretty good. My main concern is finding something that has a wire thickness that isn't too thick so it can fit in the plastic clamping place at the bottom of the tone arm, you guys know what I'm talking about right? I'm believeing the cables should most definitely not be coaxial style to fit properly.
Wei Lebeaux
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shack-...item1c21263e00

They make this in a 6ft version. It is exactly what you want. The cable is stiff but movable, and the connectors are ARTWORK; perfectly sized for my audio 4 while being of the highest quality. I believe they'd make a great replacement cable....

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy