Let's talk about replacing Technics RCAs, which cables to use? monoprice are no good

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Let's talk about replacing Technics RCAs, which cables to use? monoprice are no goodReply
Let's talk about replacing Technics RCAs, which cables to use? monoprice are no good
Posted on: 03.01.2012 by Romelia Stankard
I used to buy all of my cables from monoprice and while a lot of their stuff is good I am not satisfied with their premium RCA cables. They are just too stiff and the wires are too thick that it makes them difficult attach to technics and zip tie to the board and you have to abandon the plastic clamping plate which usually secures the wires to the tone arm housing (anyone who has replaced cables on 1200s knows what I'm talking about). The connectors are also too bulky like monster cables and don't fit properly on soundcards like the Audio 8 with recessed RCA jacks.

So I am looking for quality RCA cables that are relatively cheap and have flexible wire that isn't overly huge with some nice connectors. I'm probably looking for 8'-12' to chop in half and have two cables for each turntable (I have 7 total I need to do now and plan on doing more in the future so I want to stock up). I know i can't beat $4 from monoprice but under $10 would be nice for something a lot better. I also don't feel like making cables, not worth the hassle here. The key is finding cables with wires that aren't too thick so they can be clamped with the technics plate.
Milda Poucher
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
Wat. Buying a new TT just so you can replace some scratches??

Internal grounding is very easy to do. Same with replacing RCA cables. I wouldn't replace the stock MK5 cables though if they aren't worn out. They're very good cables.
Just swapping over the front/top plate and can then either sell the scratched one or mod it up and sell it. Either way it's not really much of a hassle when I have nothing else to do. Scratches... should say massive chunks taken out down to the bare metal.

Really the MK5? I figured the MK5G might have better ones but didn't believe the MK5s did.
Evelyn Navarijo
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
Looks for M3Ds or MK3s they might as well be the same thing then just throw an led pop up in and you pretty much have an MK5.
I already have MK2s, so I'm pretty much set, but I still take a gander at the used Technics market every now and then (not to mention the time I spent looking for the ones I have now), and I never once saw something else than MK2s
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Cybertrash
I swear, there are no MK5s in this country.

I've been buying the same connectors as you Xone, problem is they're like ~$3 a pop around here, gets pricey after a while
Looks for M3Ds or MK3s they might as well be the same thing then just throw an led pop up in and you pretty much have an MK5.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole
Any guides on this xone? I need to do my two mk2 s
I'm not sure about guides... I'll take some pictures along the way.
Danae Dumler
Having this done later this week if anyone's interested in saving money on these, go to an electronics store. I went to Ametron in LA and found the following cord:

IMG_6325.jpg

For $3.29 it's a good deal, slightly thicker than the OEMs but quite flexible and will clearly fit; not sure what brand they are but they say A460XS on the cable. This was a 1/4inch plug to RCA plug but you only need one end anyway. The connectors are fine for the NI soundcards but definitely on the cheap plastic end; they say "Phoenix Gold" on them:

IMG_6326.jpg

They weren't doing it for me; for another $3.50 I found these Calrads in the same store, bringing the total cost of this cord to just under $7 (US):

IMG_6327.jpg

The soldering wasn't nearly as bad as I assumed it would be; haven't touched a soldering iron since high school but thankfully my hands are still steady enough. Still not going to solder in my 1200s though but I'll be bringing these to the shop this week to be installed:

IMG_6328.jpg
Gaynell Rydberg
Well, I believe the Mk5 has good cable. IIRC, it's the Mk2 and M3Ds that have bad capacitance, but capacitance is for audiophile listening. It doesn't make a real difference for DJing. Especially if you use DVS.
Milda Poucher
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50

Internal grounding is very easy to do. Same with replacing RCA cables. I wouldn't replace the stock MK5 cables though if they aren't worn out. They're very good cables.
Just swapping over the front/top plate and can then either sell the scratched one or mod it up and sell it. Either way it's not really much of a hassle when I have nothing else to do. Scratches... should say massive chunks taken out down to the bare metal.

Really the MK5? I figured the MK5G might have better ones but didn't believe the MK5s did.
Gaynell Rydberg

Milda Poucher
So with the cable thread I'm believeing or replacing my stock 1210 mk5 cables. I read about the grounding wire mod but not sure if I want to do it. I'm happy with the grounding wires to be honest but then I realised I was getting a bit of static the otherday. Will double check that to make sure it was the grounding.

I'm looking at buying another TT just so I can replace my scratched front plate on my current deck.
Evelyn Navarijo
I already have MK2s, so I'm pretty much set, but I still take a gander at the used Technics market every now and then (not to mention the time I spent looking for the ones I have now), and I never once saw something else than MK2s
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Cybertrash

I've been buying the same connectors as you Xone, problem is they're like ~$3 a pop around here, gets pricey after a while
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole
I'm not sure about guides... I'll take some pictures along the way.
Doug Bieling
Evelyn Navarijo

Romelia Stankard
Today is the day I start on my adventure or rewiring all of these and installing LEDs...

My MK5s are on the right, the rest need to be fixed up to trade/sell. I just need to rewrie my MK5s. I'm going to rewire and install LED kits on the two nicest looking silver tables. The black one and one of the silver ones definitely need to be repainted or something- I'm going to attempt to strip the paint this weekend if I have the energy then decide how I want to paint them.
Romelia Stankard
Nice I got the same connectors off ebay. They were dirt cheap there for future reference I got 12 pairs for like $13 (just had to wait a few weeks since they came from china). The threaded base seems like it could unscrew easilly unless you really tighten them so I'll probably put on a tiny bit of thread lock.

They came last week and I've been too lazy to do anything on any of my techs. I should probably fix up a pair and sell them since I want to buy some stuff.
Danae Dumler
Having this done later this week if anyone's interested in saving money on these, go to an electronics store. I went to Ametron in LA and found the following cord:

IMG_6325.jpg

For $3.29 it's a good deal, slightly thicker than the OEMs but quite flexible and will clearly fit; not sure what brand they are but they say A460XS on the cable. This was a 1/4inch plug to RCA plug but you only need one end anyway. The connectors are fine for the NI soundcards but definitely on the cheap plastic end; they say "Phoenix Gold" on them:

IMG_6326.jpg

They weren't doing it for me; for another $3.50 I found these Calrads in the same store, bringing the total cost of this cord to just under $7 (US):

IMG_6327.jpg

The soldering wasn't nearly as bad as I assumed it would be; haven't touched a soldering iron since high school but thankfully my hands are still steady enough. Still not going to solder in my 1200s though but I'll be bringing these to the shop this week to be installed:

IMG_6328.jpg
Romelia Stankard
I just got my connectors in the mail yesterday, they are the no name brass ones from ebay. They look good for the price.
Danae Dumler
Hmm I'm looking closer at those Canare connectors and wondering if they will have trouble on the NI Audio 4/8/etc soundcard. They look a little chunky; does anyone have any experience with these connectors?
Danae Dumler
These are a bit on the pricey side but I can't be bothered to make my own; anyone have any knowledge about them? Belden cables with Canare connectors: http://www.cablesforless.com/ULTRA-2...Best-C201.aspx

Xonetacular did you end up getting that braided sleeve for the cables? That does look really cool...
Delila Vandommelen
A little bit of necro posting ... I'll be making RCAs for my Vestax TTs soon. I'll be using some neat Sommer cable (which happens to fit the clamp on 1200s it seems). I can source some Neutriks from a shop in town but my cable retailer has Amphenol RCAs and I'm believeing about getting some from them.
Anybody got any experience with those?
Dj LsEx
I agree with the other folks in this thread that recommended Neutrik. My friends in theatre sound use their jacks and connectors to make cable snakes religiously. It works for them because they abuse these cables yanking them around stage sets half-drunk and high season in and season out. The RCA connectors, likewise, are tits.

Nothing wrong with Hosa connectors, I believe they look really cool, but I myself have squashed a few accidentally by stepping on them or getting them caught under gear . You guys probably know what I'm talking about. It makes me sadface every time.

Either way it sounds like you are going to have a very happy deck after all is said and done.
Wei Lebeaux
Why not use the Hosa connectors? They look nice enough, and are VERY functional.
Romelia Stankard
Ok just tested- Hosa RCA cables do fit (pretty tightly).

It makes the clamp bulge a little but it clips in and no modification necessary. Any thicker than these cables definitely won't though. i believe I'm going to get one big Hosa RCA to chop up then get some nice connectors to solder on. So what's the consensus on the RCA connectors- Neutrik? Looking for a good value and nice looking since I'm going to be selling some of these tables.

Dj LsEx
I concur with that double post. They fit tight but they'll go. I actually really like the extra confidence I have with carting the tables around, it just feels beefier and sturdier.
Wei Lebeaux
Hosa definitely do?

I have some Hosa RCAs and they are a little bigger than stock. I will try them when I get home but I have a hard time believing they will fit properly.
\
I'm telling ya Xone, they do. Unfortunately, they're about the only nice thing on this 1200 I have here. I've pulled the cable hard (to check and see if they are indeed clamped.) No movement whatsoever. And the fit on my Audio 4 is perfect!
Shala Busso
Just file the clamp a bit until the cable you desire fits snugly under it.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by PartyMcFly
No clue on the exact gauge of the OEM, I don't even believe I've ever seen it listed anywhere. I would err on the side of larger than smaller to ensure that it's snug in those teeth though.

I can only tell you with confidence that Hosa, Mogami, and Canare cables fit that clamp brilliantly.
Hosa definitely do?

I have some Hosa RCAs and they are a little bigger than stock. I will try them when I get home but I have a hard time believing they will fit properly.
Dj LsEx
No clue on the exact gauge of the OEM, I don't even believe I've ever seen it listed anywhere. I would err on the side of larger than smaller to ensure that it's snug in those teeth though.

I can only tell you with confidence that Hosa, Mogami, and Canare cables fit that clamp brilliantly.
Romelia Stankard
Hey does anyone know the exact technics wire gauge? I just want to fond a big roll of the same exact cable and I'll sleeve it and put connectors on.
Lilliana Perris
Ok I can't believe we've gone this many pages and I still haven't picked a cable.

Forgetting connectors- what just a decent double rca wire that fits the clamp? Any cables that fit- joined together is a plus too and I'll probably just put neutrik connectors on whatever wires will work.

I just asked for Flex Mic cable.

Its awesome!

Romelia Stankard
Anyone know what the stock technics RCA wire is? Like what gauge or anyone know where I can get a roll of it? I just want to get that and solder my own neutrik connectors on.

Then I'm believeing I'll leave the ground wire and just sleeve it with the RCAs and get some of this:

Delma Tuskey
Originally Posted by Nicadraus
I'm sure those Nakamichi RCA plugs are awesome. Nakamichi is reputable for producing high quality audio products.
Yeah i hadnt heard of them before i got them off ebay - got a pretty good deal on about 10 pairs of them. when i cut the standard rca's off my techs i was shocked to see the state they were in!! They werent even round any more so they were never making decent connections to my audio 8 - the sound quality has improved no end. It's staggering that technics made this pro level bit of kit and popped really rubbish RCA's on the end of them!!
Osvaldo Newhall
Originally Posted by SAFC2403
I was believeing about doing this on my nigh on 20 year old techs. I looked at videos and thought nah just clipped the old knackered rca plugs off and bought some of these off ebay.

Sound quality much improved as i believe the old plugs were so old and corroded. I dont believe i'm going to bother replacing the cables as i reckon i'll bust those thin tonearm cables!!

they also fit very snugly onto the audio 8 as well.
I'm sure those Nakamichi RCA plugs are awesome. Nakamichi is reputable for producing high quality audio products.
Russell Labelle

Este anexo contiene la secci
Delma Tuskey
I was believeing about doing this on my nigh on 20 year old techs. I looked at videos and thought nah just clipped the old knackered rca plugs off and bought some of these off ebay.

Sound quality much improved as i believe the old plugs were so old and corroded. I dont believe i'm going to bother replacing the cables as i reckon i'll bust those thin tonearm cables!!

they also fit very snugly onto the audio 8 as well.
Romelia Stankard
No way will those monsters fit in the clamp nor would I want them on my tables.
Rochel Gleese

How about these I'm believeing of buying a set of 8 for the Audio 10?

http://www.neutrik.com/en/phono-rca/...ctors/nf2c-b-2
Shala Busso
I had some of these tucked away in a closet and had considered using them on my techs. They have a ground wire also, so it seemed like a good all in one solution. I'm pretty sure they will fit under the clamp, the thickness wasn't too far off the OEM Technics cable (w/gold connectors).

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Monster-I101-5M-Cable-Interlink-101/dp/B000TD9WSY"]Amazon.com: Monster Cable Interlink 101: Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ysegYy6lL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ysegYy6lL[/ame]

Romelia Stankard
Ok I can't believe we've gone this many pages and I still haven't picked a cable.

Forgetting connectors- what just a decent double rca wire that fits the clamp? Any cables that fit- joined together is a plus too and I'll probably just put neutrik connectors on whatever wires will work.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy