Another which CDJ thread for home practicing

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Another which CDJ thread for home practicingReply
Another which CDJ thread for home practicing
Posted on: 16.07.2013 by Farah Angeloni
At home i use Traktor with timecode vinyl which i will use in clubs also
but i really would like to able to work with cdj's.
So i'm looking for a cdj,only for practicing at home.
I don't want to move it around use it on a party or whatever just home.
But i want a cdj that comes close to club standard cdjs just in the way of working with them.
No effects,just the way of working with them.
What do you recommend?
Is the 350 enough,850 the way to go or is even something like relloops RMP 2.5 or 3
enough for practicing at home?

Thanks in advance
Lao Ma
Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by DISaS73R
^Don't even try to start that argument, whether or not CDJs are better is down to personal preference. CDJs are standard because a lot of people are used to them and more importantly, they are universal. If clubs had controllers, they'd need to have at least five different models and that's obviously impractical.
I have to at least try
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
It was just as rattly as the 850, but at least it felt nice and heavy vs the 850. I dunno. I just don't get why these jogs feel so bad compared to controllers. Every single jog I've used (S2/S4, MC3000, Contour) has been way better than what the CDJ jog felt like.
It's the ball bearings mate. Controllers are all - as far as I'm aware - spindle-mounted in the centre with bushings. Gives a smoother feel, but it's difficult making them larger which is why most controllers have small jogs. If I remember rightly, the RMPs use a spindle mounted jog which is quite nice.
Gaynell Rydberg
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Personally the 1000s feel like toys to me... all rattly and shit because of the ball bearings :-\
It was just as rattly as the 850, but at least it felt nice and heavy vs the 850. I dunno. I just don't get why these jogs feel so bad compared to controllers. Every single jog I've used (S2/S4, MC3000, Contour) has been way better than what the CDJ jog felt like.
Doreen Schurle
It just has the same feeling you'd expect from a toddler's toy. The jog wheel feels like shit compared to jog wheels on controllers.

CDJ1000 MK3 had a great jog, but the lack of USB is a killer for me.
Personally the 1000s feel like toys to me... all rattly and shit because of the ball bearings :-\
Yukiko Spruell
^ Although to be honest, I thought the CDJ850s felt pretty shitty as well. The plastic feeling is... so weird. And the jog wheel is so loud.

I have the 900s and when I unpacked them I was a bit shocked to say the least. They actually feel p!ss poor construction wise for the money, I was kind of expecting them to be made from a better grade of plastic. That said they work a treat and you cannot hear the jogwheels when the music is turned up to a level that makes your ears bleed. So whilst initially disappointed with them out of the box I soon got over this and fully appreciate them for what they are.

Still mystified as to why they cannot be made out of metal for the money.

edit I assumed the noise from the jogs was actually some form of ball bearing race, is this not the case?
Gaynell Rydberg
Originally Posted by Kwal
Lol come on now, are you actually going to be worried about the slight hum the jog wheel produces while you're playing live?
It just has the same feeling you'd expect from a toddler's toy. The jog wheel feels like shit compared to jog wheels on controllers.

Farah Angeloni
Of the Pioneer offerings, the CDJ850 is the one that comes closest to being a "reasonable" product. If it was
Alphonso Deitchman
Of the Pioneer offerings, the CDJ850 is the one that comes closest to being a "reasonable" product. If it was
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by johney
i played on 850s last week and they felt really nice.

might have been me drunk at 5AM, but still
Hellen Mindrup
^ Although to be honest, I thought the CDJ850s felt pretty shitty as well. The plastic feeling is... so weird. And the jog wheel is so loud.
Lol come on now, are you actually going to be worried about the slight hum the jog wheel produces while you're playing live?
Albina Androski
I don't really care that the 850s are plastic...they're a decent pair of decks. It's basically all you need if you are an A->B style of DJ.
Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by DISaS73R
^Don't even try to start that argument, whether or not CDJs are better is down to personal preference. CDJs are standard because a lot of people are used to them and more importantly, they are universal. If clubs had controllers, they'd need to have at least five different models and that's obviously impractical.
I have to at least try
Olin Easley
Hellen Mindrup
I'll still take the CDJ over any controller and it's little toy feeling, there's a reason they are standard and that reason is that they are better.
Gaynell Rydberg
I believe ball bearings would be pretty quiet or at least very smooth, not rattly.

Platter roller makes sense though.
Alphonso Deitchman
I can't find any evidence of ball bearings, but these rollers come up on the spare parts sites so they must be used in the jogs.

Like the 1000s, the 2000s have tension adjust so there isn't a problem with weight/resistance. They do make a bit of noise if you're moving them fast but they're smooth and quiet when beatmatching.
Doreen Schurle
It's the ball bearings mate. Controllers are all - as far as I'm aware - spindle-mounted in the centre with bushings. Gives a smoother feel, but it's difficult making them larger which is why most controllers have small jogs. If I remember rightly, the RMPs use a spindle mounted jog which is quite nice.
Gaynell Rydberg
Doreen Schurle

Gaynell Rydberg
Whoops, yea. Got it confused with the SC2000.
Cassie Sangermano
Not that I've ever played on a Pioneer deck, but I was under the impression that the SC2900's DID have the same style buttons?? Hard plastic, minimal travel, satisfying click? Not the rubber type buttons.
Gaynell Rydberg
Don't really know. I just find it absurd that you're paying so much money for such cheap plastic. It's not even a nice heavyweight ABS plastic. It seriously feels like a toy.

I would love a Denon SC2900 with the Pioneer play/cue buttons..
Yukiko Spruell

I have the 900s and when I unpacked them I was a bit shocked to say the least. They actually feel p!ss poor construction wise for the money, I was kind of expecting them to be made from a better grade of plastic. That said they work a treat and you cannot hear the jogwheels when the music is turned up to a level that makes your ears bleed. So whilst initially disappointed with them out of the box I soon got over this and fully appreciate them for what they are.

Still mystified as to why they cannot be made out of metal for the money.

edit I assumed the noise from the jogs was actually some form of ball bearing race, is this not the case?
Gaynell Rydberg
Originally Posted by Kwal

Farah Angeloni
Alphonso Deitchman
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by johney

Augustine Mitzen

Hellen Mindrup
Alphonso Deitchman
The DDJ-SX is a decent controller with an almost identical layout to a pair or CDJs and a standard mixer. You can change your software settings so that only basic track info is shown like on a CDJ screen in order to practice beatmatching.
Farah Angeloni
Thanks everybody so far.
I will have a look at the Reloop stuff and maybe order both a Reloop and a Pioneer so i have them both under my hands.
I heard a lot of good now about the CDJ 800,you can get them for 400 Euros in a real good condition even with warranty.
Still,only thing keeps me from going for that is burning CD's.
Gaynell Rydberg
Isis Genwright
I wasn't impressed with the feel of the 350's. I'd get at least an 800/850, 900's if you can
Armando Waithour
i have 2 cdj350
Doreen Schurle
If you're using timecode you don't even need the RMP-3; the RMP-1 will give you the same experience as the CDJ1000s. Personally, I'd go for the 2.5s or the 3s though, and use them in MIDI mode, ditching timecode altogether.
Gaynell Rydberg
I have the Reloop Contour which is extremely nice. I love the pads and the jog wheel feels great. I'd imagine the RMP-3 is pretty similar.
Bethann Olortegui
As an affordable alternative to the industry standard I would
Farah Angeloni
Originally Posted by matrick
If you've never used a Pioneer CDJ (800/1000/850) you wouldn't know the difference. The jogwheel is slightly heavier and looser than the Pioneer. You could argue that it's less precise, but I believe it's a truer emulation of how vinyl reacts i.e. more fluid.

The upside to using the Reloop as your home/practice deck is that (apart form being half the price) using a Pioneer CDJ is even easier.
Okay! And build quality wise you would recommend this deck?
Seems like i will at least have a look at it!
Bethann Olortegui
If you've never used a Pioneer CDJ (800/1000/850) you wouldn't know the difference. The jogwheel is slightly heavier and looser than the Pioneer. You could argue that it's less precise, but I believe it's a truer emulation of how vinyl reacts i.e. more fluid.

The upside to using the Reloop as your home/practice deck is that (apart form being half the price) using a Pioneer CDJ is even easier.
Farah Angeloni
Originally Posted by matrick
Reloop RMP-3 Alpha is a good deck for home use. Takes CD/MP3, USB or MIDI, has a USB link mode, sampler/hotcues + effects (actually not bad). Plus they're full size and cost about the same as 350's
Do you use one? And have used Pioneers also?
If so,how big is the difference in working with them:cue the track,feel of Jog and pitchfader etc.?

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy