Cue button 'lag'

Cue button 'lag'
Posted on: 21.05.2011 by Shelia Salzsieder
Hi, I'm getting weird lag with the cue buttons on the traktor s4, e.g. if I press a cue button sometimes it takes 1 second to actually play and sometimes I press the button and the cue point doesn't play! it also happens on my X1 but not so frequently, my cpu is at very low so it's not that. It's very laggy.
Also, if a deck isn't playing, and for example I hold cue button 1 and then press 2 and let go of 1, the track stops playing?! Why is this? I can't jump between cue points now.
Griselda Vojtko
I am sorry to post in such an old thread but i came here cause i am experiencing same issues as the OP.
It's clear that when in the s4 preferences we set sample buttons to 5-8 cue point something is not set as it should and this cause the "hitting a cue point when another is pressed stops the track" problem.
I am totally sure that this is NI's fault simply because with some custom mapping this problem can be solved. So when we change that setting what happen under the hood is that Traktor does not adjust the default mapping in the correct way. It leaves some kind of sample button behaviour and this is a shame.
Luckily, as i said, some custom mapping can solve this!
In fact it is really simple for those with some mapping experience. The only problem is that with this workaround we definitely loose the ability to trigger samples (but if you are looking to use those buttons for 5-8 cues it is likely that u don't care because, for example, you are using another controller for that just like me).
So practically all you need to do is set 3 modifiers. Modifier 1 is triggered when the 2 shift buttons are pressed so it is a hold command mapped the same to the 2 shift but this MUST NOT OVERRIDE DEFAULT MAPPING otherwise you will lose the other shift button functions. Modifier 2 and 3 are triggered with the switch deck buttons A/C and B/D and also here you must not override default mapping. Now you can map the sample buttons to select, set & store cues 5-8 to deck A when modifier 1 is 0 and modifer 2 is 0, to deck C when modifier 1 is 0 and modifier 2 is 1 and to delete those cues when modifier 1 is 1 and 2 is 0 for deck A and 1 for deck C. The same goes for deck B and D using the modifier 1 and 3 in the same way.
I can provide a ready to use mapping if anyone need it.
Let me say again that is a shame that NI was not able to handle this in the proper way since the beginning and that has not fixed this cause there are complains about this since the controller came out....
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by DJWilliams
....great.
Rather a restrained reaction - maybe you need to be a little less so.
Dorcas Bassignani
The lag problem only started when I got my S4. My latency was originally around 15ms so I reduced it to 7.8ms, no difference
apart from you're now pushing the processor harder, try the other way. all you've done there is reduce the time it takes the audio to pass through everything to the speakers, but the system has to work harder for that. try going up to 20, and seeing what happens, then work down.

and turn all that unnecessary shit off.

--------------------------------------------------------------

the sample button bit - which i'm bored of - when you look at the fact they're there for the sample decks originally, and how they work -

1 press > load
2 press > play
3 press > stop
4 press > play
etc... til you use shift to unload

and the fact that this needs modifiers to work like that on any other controller, something suggests that they send out 2 different signals that reset after the shift button is used. so i'm going to add all that up to small conflict that might have been overlooked somewhere. majority of average users aren't going to be juggling the cue points, so prob didn't get picked up.
also i can't believe of any reason why you'd use them how you are in the vid anyway. not without hitting the play button somewhere in that chain to keep the deck playing.
Shelia Salzsieder
Originally Posted by BradCee
rewatched vid;

Cue buttons not responding when pressed.
have you always beat the shit out of them like that?
I was pressing them hard so you could see that im actually pressing them, I admit, it looks like im really bashing them, but in a live situation im not gonna be slowly pressing them, I tap them like I did in the video, just not as hard. If I want to cue juggle I have to press them fast.
The problem was evident the first time I went on my S4 so it hasn't 'broken' due to repeated 'bashing'.

Sample deck buttons remapped as cue points 5-8 don't work if you press one then another in quick succession AND if you hold one then another and let go of the first one you pressed the track stops.
going back to what i said about the play toggle/cup stuff.
when you press the first one it starts the deck, this button has now become the control over play/stop.
moving to the next one will jump to other cue point, but the first button is still in control of play/stop.
to change this you have to press the play button before releasing the first button you pressed, as toggles to full play instead of CUP. Hold any of these down and look at the screen, CUP/CUE will be lit, but play won't
Then can you explain why I can do it perfectly fine with the 1-4 cue buttons, just not the sample deck buttons?

Lag where the audio doesn't play straight away when the cue button is pressed
increase latency.
where was it when problem started?
where is it set now?
have you tried both increase and decrease?
what other devices are running? e.g network cards, webcams
The lag problem only started when I got my S4. My latency was originally around 15ms so I reduced it to 7.8ms, no difference. I have wifi etc running so maybe that will help but I didn't have ANY lag when I was using my mixtrack and X1.

Thanks
Dorcas Bassignani
This only happens with the sample deck buttons, I can press 2 of the 1-4 buttons and it works fine

The biggest problem is the cue buttons not responding, Im sure I can reduce the lag some way, but I want to fix the other 2 problems first, especially the cue buttons not working as it makes the s4 unusable.
run the setup wizard again?
Shelia Salzsieder
the 'pressing 2 buttons stops the deck' thing;
as the cue buttons are essentially toggling the play function, if you're holding one, then press another the deck will stop. cos you toggled play - albeit as part of CUP

This only happens with the sample deck buttons, I can press 2 of the 1-4 buttons and it works fine

as for the lag;
have you tried increasing latency instead of decreasing? make the processor work less hard, might get a better response.
The biggest problem is the cue buttons not responding, Im sure I can reduce the lag some way, but I want to fix the other 2 problems first, especially the cue buttons not working as it makes the s4 unusable.
Jona Penzenstadler
Next to the "Main" knob (where you adjust the main volume on the software) make sure the "Q" isn't highlighted! Then everything should work as usual. At least that was what fixed my "lag".
Ciera Roarke
this is pissing the snot out of me too. anyone got fix for this ?
Shelia Salzsieder
bump

I have been using it OK but this issue still arises from time to time.

I press a cue button and it doesn't respond. It's because I'm not pressing the button in the right place and applying enough pressure, but it really, really shouldn't matter. When I'm freestyling it happens a lot as I tend to press the buttons quickly.

If I was playing at a gig and this happened it would really p*** me off
Shelia Salzsieder
I have an intel i7 processor in my laptop. I'm sure it's a design fault anyway.

What can I do about it though? NI aren't going to fix everyone's buttons are they.
Stanford Burgy
http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...amd+s4+problem

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=123871
Dorcas Bassignani
*drumroll*
Stanford Burgy
Hi, I'm sure I've read something about s4 and amd processors having a problem on the NI community . What processor do you have?
Shelia Salzsieder
It's a BIG BIG problem and I'm surprised that there isn't more people complaining about it. I don't 'bash' my buttons every time and even when I press them slowly they sometimes don't respond.
Lin Danek
....great.
Rather a restrained reaction - maybe you need to be a little less so.
Shelia Salzsieder
Seems like it's a design fault.... great.
Lin Danek
Hey DJW - any luck?
Shelia Salzsieder
I would want to use the sample deck buttons like I did in the video without pressing play, certainly. Pressing another one whilst holding one means the transition is instant, instead of letting go and pressing another one quickly, and you know what happens when I do that, I just get little clicks. Thanks for your help.

I have an i7 processor so I don't believe a little bit of extra workload on the cpu will matter much, in traktor the cpu bar is always tiny, I'll try your suggestions though and disable all unnecessary processes to see if that helps.
Dorcas Bassignani
The lag problem only started when I got my S4. My latency was originally around 15ms so I reduced it to 7.8ms, no difference
apart from you're now pushing the processor harder, try the other way. all you've done there is reduce the time it takes the audio to pass through everything to the speakers, but the system has to work harder for that. try going up to 20, and seeing what happens, then work down.

and turn all that unnecessary shit off.

--------------------------------------------------------------

the sample button bit - which i'm bored of - when you look at the fact they're there for the sample decks originally, and how they work -

1 press > load
2 press > play
3 press > stop
4 press > play
etc... til you use shift to unload

and the fact that this needs modifiers to work like that on any other controller, something suggests that they send out 2 different signals that reset after the shift button is used. so i'm going to add all that up to small conflict that might have been overlooked somewhere. majority of average users aren't going to be juggling the cue points, so prob didn't get picked up.
also i can't believe of any reason why you'd use them how you are in the vid anyway. not without hitting the play button somewhere in that chain to keep the deck playing.
Shelia Salzsieder
rewatched vid;

I was pressing them hard so you could see that im actually pressing them, I admit, it looks like im really bashing them, but in a live situation im not gonna be slowly pressing them, I tap them like I did in the video, just not as hard. If I want to cue juggle I have to press them fast.
The problem was evident the first time I went on my S4 so it hasn't 'broken' due to repeated 'bashing'.

Sample deck buttons remapped as cue points 5-8 don't work if you press one then another in quick succession AND if you hold one then another and let go of the first one you pressed the track stops.
when you press the first one it starts the deck, this button has now become the control over play/stop.
moving to the next one will jump to other cue point, but the first button is still in control of play/stop.
to change this you have to press the play button before releasing the first button you pressed, as toggles to full play instead of CUP. Hold any of these down and look at the screen, CUP/CUE will be lit, but play won't
Then can you explain why I can do it perfectly fine with the 1-4 cue buttons, just not the sample deck buttons?

increase latency.
where is it set now?
The lag problem only started when I got my S4. My latency was originally around 15ms so I reduced it to 7.8ms, no difference. I have wifi etc running so maybe that will help but I didn't have ANY lag when I was using my mixtrack and X1.

Thanks
Dorcas Bassignani
rewatched vid;

increase latency.
where is it set now?
Shelia Salzsieder
I have uninstalled traktor 2, installed traktor s4 and then reinstalled tpro2 and im still having the problems.
Dorcas Bassignani

run the setup wizard again?
Shelia Salzsieder
as the cue buttons are essentially toggling the play function, if you're holding one, then press another the deck will stop. cos you toggled play - albeit as part of CUP

as for the lag;
have you tried increasing latency instead of decreasing? make the processor work less hard, might get a better response.
Dorcas Bassignani

as for the lag;
Shelia Salzsieder
Surely it can't be a fault with every single S4?!
Dorcas Bassignani
Which problem?
not enough money for chicken cos all bank been dropped on an s4
Shelia Salzsieder
Originally Posted by schaap
Same problem here, in the Traktor S4 version and Traktor 2.. Have been experiencing this problem from the moment I received my S4. I know 3 people who also own a S4, and they all have this 'problem'. I've tried all the things described in this thread, nothing helps.
Which problem?
Cameron Galante
Same problem here, in the Traktor S4 version and Traktor 2.. Have been experiencing this problem from the moment I received my S4. I know 3 people who also own a S4, and they all have this 'problem'. I've tried all the things described in this thread, nothing helps.
Shelia Salzsieder
I'm tearing my hair out here, I just want to be able to use my S4! I'm believeing it's something to do with the settings or mapping but how would that be the case when I haven't changed anything?
Shelia Salzsieder
I've posted 2 threads on the NI community s and still no reply. I don't believe it's a hardware failure with my S4 as it seems like an issue that would be present in all of them, the problem where if you press the buttons a certain way they dont work.
Lin Danek
I'm stumped DJW. Also on PC - but no issues. I believe you are right w.r.t. to the 'instant' function applying to CUP.
Shelia Salzsieder
I didn't plug my s4 in until tp2 was installed. My question is, do other s4 owners have the problem shown in my video or is it just me?
Kristen Bastron
Please read all of the posts in this thread, I've already said that Im on PC.
my bad i was distracted doing other research and trying to help you at the same time, have you tried installing traktor s4 edition that came with your s4 and seeing if it works then, ive heard issues of people plugging in their controllers before installing the software, might be your issue.
Shelia Salzsieder
Please read all of the posts in this thread, I've already said that Im on PC.
Kristen Bastron
mac or pc?
Shelia Salzsieder
Originally Posted by jabanayot
whats the info on your computer and any other programs running, try turning off wifi see if that makes a difference.
I had Traktor Pro 2 before I got my S4 and was using it with a mixtrack and X1 just fine.
Kristen Bastron
whats the info on your computer and any other programs running, try turning off wifi see if that makes a difference.
Shelia Salzsieder
I've said already. Sync/Snap/Quant are all off.
Dorcas Bassignani
Is snap on?

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy