Xonetacular's Setup

Xonetacular's Setup
Posted on: 25.11.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Now that we can edit threads again I'll post my current setup here for those of you who don't feel like sifting through 26 pages if you are unfortunate enough to be using the default 10 posts per page

dj setup:

I need to take updated pictures-

looks like this

but over here:

studio/modular setup as of june 2012

running genome midi on the ipad into ableton out to the modular- such a nice sequencer and very hands on and nice to use on the ipad. I might eventually switch to an expert sleepers digital audio to CV interface for better latency- I believe the latency on the midi/cv converter is more of an issue than over wireless (and genome has stuff built in to compensate) but that's just a guess. Still useable how it is now.

modular setup as of july 2012:

---------------------------------
original post:
It all started three years ago with two Technics 1200 MK2s, a budget numark mixer, and about 15 vinyl records, and Sond MDR-V6 headphones.

Quickly I realized vinyl was expensive and I decided to get Traktor Scratch Pro

I decided I wanted to upgrade my mixer and get something scratch certified so I got a Mackie d.4 pro

My first attempt at a production setup involved ableton live 7, an MPD32, and a Microkorg

Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
link?

My desk is thick. I could try some stands and lay the monitors sideways so the tweeters are still ear level. I would really like to be able to fit a second LCD monitor on this desk but I have no room with the speakers, I have a 22" sitting around... I'm wondering if I should hunt around for a production desk though since having the MPK49 to the side is a little awkward.

I was testing out how the sound is in this space with the sub playing a sine wave low and certain notes I can definitely hear what must be bass reflections (i'm not familiar with this stuff). It's not terrible but with the volume up you can hear it.

I'm also in the market for a decent executive style chair on a budget (I can't really justify spending more than $100)- the desk chair I have is from highschool and sucks. I would check craigslist but buying used furniture from someones home creeps me out and I have no way of knowing what it feels like first.

I'm also in the market for a soundcard for $200 or less (audio 8 doesn't have the balanced output or volume knob I need) and just missed the Komplete Audio 6 sale, anything else I should look at?
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10168720/

Desk thickness could be an issue, ya.. How thick?

2 of these and u could put any type of shelf wood on top then get one of those slanted foam speaker things or something similar for each speaker.
Dorie Scelzo
No experience at all. It might be worth it for that price, but IIRC, that was from NI right before they started really taking themselves seriously and started making an impact.

It's either their first serious card or their last joke. I'm not sure how to tell which, but for $115, it's probably not too bad.

I'm actually about to be in the market for a cheap-ish card soon too. Apparently, my old card half-dropped one of its mic input connections, so everything it records is noisy as shit and has a DC offset. It kind of ruined a recording for a video I had to do last week. Whatever
Romelia Stankard
Yeah I'll do some sound research and keep a look out for chairs on craigslist, maybe I'll find an office going out of business selling their stuff and get lucky
Originally Posted by mostapha

As for sound cards
Dorie Scelzo
Any recommendations on DIY or cheaper bass traps? My quick search shows they are like $300+
Not really. My room is big-ish and has a lot of crap in it, and I use 5" KRKs, so it's not something I've looked into extensively except for hearing the effect when I wasn't footing the bill.

Give a thought to the threads about soundproofing. Most of the advice people give for soundproofing is actually about tuning rooms, so the threads are titled wrong, but there's good info on the types of materials people use.

AFAIK, the biggest thing is to have something softer than drywall/wood in places that would cause reflections
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by kevz718
Have u seen those c-clamp brackets at ikea? Could use 2 of those and throw some wood and acoustic foam on top of them..

I have them just to give me a lil more support under my speaker stands just in case..
link?

My desk is thick. I could try some stands and lay the monitors sideways so the tweeters are still ear level. I would really like to be able to fit a second LCD monitor on this desk but I have no room with the speakers, I have a 22" sitting around... I'm wondering if I should hunt around for a production desk though since having the MPK49 to the side is a little awkward.

I was testing out how the sound is in this space with the sub playing a sine wave low and certain notes I can definitely hear what must be bass reflections (i'm not familiar with this stuff). It's not terrible but with the volume up you can hear it.

I'm also in the market for a decent executive style chair on a budget (I can't really justify spending more than $100)- the desk chair I have is from highschool and sucks. I would check craigslist but buying used furniture from someones home creeps me out and I have no way of knowing what it feels like first.

I'm also in the market for a soundcard for $200 or less (audio 8 doesn't have the balanced output or volume knob I need) and just missed the Komplete Audio 6 sale, anything else I should look at?
Cliff Lohman
Thanks. Yeah space is a little tight right now but I'm trying to make it work and keep it simple and to the essentials and resist my urges to gear whore since I know it will only make production more daunting than it already is for me.

If I could somehow raise the monitors to fit more on the desk that might help, right now the Maschine either fits on the left or the right. That or find/make a better desk with monitor stands and keyboard tray so I can fit controllers more front and center.

Any recommendations on DIY or cheaper bass traps? My quick search shows they are like $300+
Have u seen those c-clamp brackets at ikea? Could use 2 of those and throw some wood and acoustic foam on top of them..

I have them just to give me a lil more support under my speaker stands just in case..
Romelia Stankard
Nice. You're going to want bass traps and something to kill reflections in a space that tiny.

And if I were you, I'd consider putting Maschine in a more central location
Dorie Scelzo
Nice. You're going to want bass traps and something to kill reflections in a space that tiny.

And if I were you, I'd consider putting Maschine in a more central location
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by ginno
What kind of stand are your using for youe x1's?
Can you also post an updated pic of your setup with the lights on?

Thx and uber sweet setup BTW
right now just styrofoam, I meant to make nicer ones but it works and feels solid...

I just grabbed a second pair of KRK RP8s for $200 on craigslist plus some monitor stands, I love craigstlist.

Current DJ setup:

I never really used the maschine over there and stopped using the ipad with the DB4 effects so they went over to my new studio.

I finally got around to setting up my studio and getting parts/repairing my desktop PC and putting a fresh install on windows on it. It's about time, I have had a bunch of crap piled in that corner for months looking ugly. Now I have no more excuses for not attempting to make music.

before:

Now:

Studio:

Dell desktop
KRK RP8s
KRK 10s subwoofer
iPad with Touchable for Ableton control
Maschine
Audio 8
Akai MPK49
Sony MDR-V6

the monitors take up a lot of space currently and I can't fit a second screen, I am also not sure if I am going to get a more suitable soundcard for production, the audio 8 is a little weird and I want balanced outputs and volume control on the card.

I have a 22" LCD I'm believeing of wall mounting on an army that would swing out over the keyboard.
Gemma Saroff
What kind of stand are your using for youe x1's?
Can you also post an updated pic of your setup with the lights on?

Thx and uber sweet setup BTW
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by buddha131
bateman........................................... ...........................................

mind= shattered
It's no secret here
Julio Tewell
bateman........................................... ...........................................

mind= shattered
Bob Padia
DIY guy like me! Your setup is very nice.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Gavintech
I'm just going to use MDF on both sides. I looked at the Ikea mod thread and couldn't figure out how to use the Godmorgon legs because they only have brackets on one end (they are also not available on Ikea.com nor at the nearest Ikea, but I would prefer to use them). How are they screwed into the other end?
You buy 4 of them. Each end of the stainless tube has the same threading so you buy two longs godmorgon legs and two short ones (short ones are $2 cheaper) to get the extra brackets from then you screw a bracket on each end.
Madge Kratina
Is your day JOB!? you have an amazing setup!
Jessi Therkildsen
Check out the ikea mod thread now if you are doing this you can also use godmorgon legs which look better (buy 4 to get all the brackets for the pole if mounting into wood on both ends)
I'm just going to use MDF on both sides. I looked at the Ikea mod thread and couldn't figure out how to use the Godmorgon legs because they only have brackets on one end (they are also not available on Ikea.com nor at the nearest Ikea, but I would prefer to use them). How are they screwed into the other end?
Jessi Therkildsen
You can get them at home depot.

The pipe just looks like standard iron pipe, and the brackets are called floor flanges or pipe flanges.
Cool, thanks. Just plumbing supplies!
Romelia Stankard
AWESOME! But what are the parts you used for them? Where did you get the pole and those brackets (if that is what they actually are)?
the top brackets are from these which I got in a craigslist deal: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/OnStage-SMS6000-Adjustable-Studio-Monitor/dp/B000CD3QYM"]Amazon.com: OnStage SMS6000 Adjustable Studio Monitor Stand (Pair): Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31WGR798FRL.@@AMEPARAM@@31WGR798FRL[/ame]

Check out the ikea mod thread now if you are doing this you can also use godmorgon legs which look better (buy 4 to get all the brackets for the pole if mounting into wood on both ends)
Dorie Scelzo
You can get them at home depot.

The pipe just looks like standard iron pipe, and the brackets are called floor flanges or pipe flanges.
Jessi Therkildsen
Found some work in progress pics I posted here a while back

AWESOME! But what are the parts you used for them? Where did you get the pole and those brackets (if that is what they actually are)?
Era Roka
Originally Posted by Onimode
What the hell is your day job sir?
+1
Romelia Stankard
How in the world did you do those speaker stands?!?!?!?!
Found some work in progress pics I posted here a while back

Jessi Therkildsen
How in the world did you do those speaker stands?!?!?!?!
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by scamo
Your Ikea DJ Stand has gotten my imagination going and to be honest, I never would have thought to go to Ikea for something like that before seeing your thread, where you introduced what you did. Thanks for that!

Mixing on your knees in Florida hey? That is devotion.

scamo
Good, I'm glad to see people starting to build some nice DJ booths for themselves.
Kayce Mesia
What the hell is your day job sir?
Rey Holubar
Your Ikea DJ Stand has gotten my imagination going and to be honest, I never would have thought to go to Ikea for something like that before seeing your thread, where you introduced what you did. Thanks for that!

Mixing on your knees in Florida hey? That is devotion.

scamo
Romelia Stankard
*space held for future updates*.
Romelia Stankard
*space held for future updates*
Romelia Stankard
-space held for future updates-
Romelia Stankard
The S4 was cool for a little while but I missed a real quality mixer and began making plans to acquire a Xone: DB4 which was the best gear investment I've made in a while- more on that here: http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=38850

This is the greatest mixer I have ever used and the sound and effects are incredible.

So my current DJ setup is:

Technics MK5 x1
Xone: DB4
Traktor Scratch Pro 2
Kontrol X1 x2
iPad 1 running TouchOSC and iFighter Instant Gratification map
Audio 8 DJ for if I want to use timecode or start gigging again
KRK rokkit RP8 and rokkit 10s subwoofer
Macbook pro

wishlist: CDJ-2000 x2 and Xone: K2 x2
Romelia Stankard
I moved to FL and just had an S4 with me since it was simple. I picked up an ipad on craigslist and started running TouchOSC

This was from before I had any furniture in my apartment

Seeing as how I had no furniture yet and had the rest of my hardware being shipped, i started brainstorming ideas for a custom ikea booth in this thread which spawned the ikea dj booth blog post:

http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...highlight=ikea

these were my conceptual renderings for my ikea booth ideas

This was the finished result

Romelia Stankard
this post saved for when I dig up more pics

I was going between SSL and Traktor for a while when I was in NYC because everyone was on SSL and it was simpler.
Romelia Stankard
The d.4 pro had lots of problems so I upgraded to a Xone: 92R and immediately fell in love with Allen & heath Xone products and shortly bought a Xone: 1D too

I quickly devolved technics and craigslist fever and soon started buying up deals on 1200s and any other gear I could find to fix and sell to fund my gear habits. In the process I experimented with some absurd setups while I had all of this at my disposal.

I soon sold the 92R in favor of my dream mixer at the time, the Xone: 4D. I also added two 1Ds to have a dedicated controller area per deck. Also picked up some CDJ-1000MK3s and some various other gear. I didn't actually use all of this stuff at once, it was mostly experimentation because I could and found the absurdity fun.

Again, I was buying a lot of the TTs and CDJs to resell and while I had them sitting around I figured I would experiment and make some ridiculous setups.

The 4D with two 1Ds was pretty sweet though. Dedicated 1D layout for each deck with minimal shifting.

I was able to afford everything just from craigslist technics deals for a while and things got a little out of hand.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy