Xonetacular's Setup

Xonetacular's Setup
Posted on: 25.11.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Now that we can edit threads again I'll post my current setup here for those of you who don't feel like sifting through 26 pages if you are unfortunate enough to be using the default 10 posts per page

dj setup:

I need to take updated pictures-

looks like this

but over here:

studio/modular setup as of june 2012

running genome midi on the ipad into ableton out to the modular- such a nice sequencer and very hands on and nice to use on the ipad. I might eventually switch to an expert sleepers digital audio to CV interface for better latency- I believe the latency on the midi/cv converter is more of an issue than over wireless (and genome has stuff built in to compensate) but that's just a guess. Still useable how it is now.

modular setup as of july 2012:

---------------------------------
original post:
It all started three years ago with two Technics 1200 MK2s, a budget numark mixer, and about 15 vinyl records, and Sond MDR-V6 headphones.

Quickly I realized vinyl was expensive and I decided to get Traktor Scratch Pro

I decided I wanted to upgrade my mixer and get something scratch certified so I got a Mackie d.4 pro

My first attempt at a production setup involved ableton live 7, an MPD32, and a Microkorg

Patty Mcgilbra
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
any chance you could post a direct link to the picture used on the right monitor?
and as usual, amazing setup - I'd totaly steal all of that if I could
Jenae Hensarling
Did you change the High Precision Event Timer (HPET) to 64 bit and set the AHCI mode instead of IDE in the bios prior to install. That could be cause your boot issues.

Also here is an entire thread dedicated to UD3/6870(50) builds. Its almost 50 pages long and loaded full of good information.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=32306

If you decide to re-install to achieve better stability and proper boot times, I'd highly reccomend unibeast/multibeast method. I can gladly help you if you'd like as well. Installing kext files (kernel extentions) and selecting the proper set up files from multibeast isn't hard at all. Feel free to PM me if you need some help an decided to try the install again.

Here are the basics to the install though:

Once done with making Unibeast drive do this:
Set bios to these settings:
1.HPET to 64bit from 32bit
2.All settings that say IDE, change it to AHCI
3.Plug in flash drive, mouse, monitor, keyboard and reboot.
4.Go to boot menu (on the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 it is F12)
5.Select USB-HDD and hit enter.
6.If it doesn't boot into the iBoot looking screen try to plug USB drive into other port and 7.hit enter again
8.Choose USB from menu
-OPTIONAL- Go to disk utility and format your HDD/SSD, you may need to do this.
9.Install OSX Like normal
10.Boot from Unibeast Drive again
11. Boot from new OSX install
12.Put DSDT-x.aml on desktop (free download from tonymacx86)
13.Run MultiBeast with recommended settings by Gordo
14. Reboot and enjoy!

Download these few programs and run them to check for system stablity and proper function. What are your read/write speeds of the SSD?

Uniegine Heaven (there is a mac version)
Nova Bench
Geek Bench
Cinebench
Romelia Stankard
hacintosh update (xpost from hackintosh thread)

So far so good and relatively straightforward. Ran into some issues with getting it to post and it kept going in a loop where it would power on then shut off after 3 seconds. I believe it is picky about the ram I have it stable with 8gb in two slots and installed fine. Kakewalk is easy, easier/faster than installing windows and everything works fine. No kext files or anything to deal with it creates a bootable usb from a lion app store download (which I already had so didn't even need to buy it again since you can install it on all your personal macs, it's not like windows with license limits). You choose your mobo from the list when created the usb drive and it does everything else for you. I have no idea why anyone builds a hackintosh any other way these days. Got dual monitors via an active displayport adapter.

Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Scott Michael
I suppose every little bit helps. I've been doing research on building my own acustic pannles. Found a place locally selling Owens Corning 703 at a good price. That's going to be my next project~!
Yeah I was planning on doing that but I just don't want to work with the fibers in my apartment and there are some tiny amounts of formaldehyde in it. The formaldehyde doesn't worry me but the fibers do since I've developed sensitivity to the air in my apartment recently and need to change ultra fine air filters in my apartment every other week and clean often so I don't die of allergies or whatever so I would rather spend more for finished panels that are known to be very good and not take a chance.
Jenae Hensarling
It makes a difference. I had it on some styrofoam my DB4 came in the other week and really liked how it seemed to improve the sound and wanted something better looking so I picked it up. I have carpet too but I just want the least chance of disturbing neighbors (even though I have never had a complaint). I'll grab another at some point for my other sub.
I suppose every little bit helps. I've been doing research on building my own acustic pannles. Found a place locally selling Owens Corning 703 at a good price. That's going to be my next project~!
Romelia Stankard
Letme know what you believe.. I'm curious, I just ordered one myself. My 10s has been sitting on a towel and laminated concrete flooring. Not sure if it will make any difference or not but it cant hurt.
It makes a difference. I had it on some styrofoam my DB4 came in the other week and really liked how it seemed to improve the sound and wanted something better looking so I picked it up. I have carpet too but I just want the least chance of disturbing neighbors (even though I have never had a complaint). I'll grab another at some point for my other sub.
Jenae Hensarling
Funny you mention that I just got one of those in the mail yesterday from amazon along with the computer parts. It's pretty nice and makes a difference and I'm sure my neighbors will appreciate it.
Letme know what you believe.. I'm curious, I just ordered one myself. My 10s has been sitting on a towel and laminated concrete flooring. Not sure if it will make any difference or not but it cant hurt.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Early Birds
how high are your's xone?
They are ikea godmorgon legs with some metal monitor stand plates bolted on top I had laying around.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177767/

that piece on the bottom slides off, you can get double the legs if you want to make a top plate you can screw into from a second set of legs
Romelia Stankard
http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Subwoo.../dp/B001140OZ0

You should put your 10S sub up on an isolation riser.
Funny you mention that I just got one of those in the mail yesterday from amazon along with the computer parts. It's pretty nice and makes a difference and I'm sure my neighbors will appreciate it.
Jenae Hensarling
http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Subwoo.../dp/B001140OZ0

You should put your 10S sub up on an isolation riser.
Tonya Stefanow
how high are your's xone?
Tatum Ansaldo
They look a bit like these: http://bit.ly/I9YPbV
Tonya Stefanow
do you have any photos of when you did the monitor stands for the expedit ?
Romelia Stankard

I've been talking with a couple of the guys from GIK acoustics and they are helping me with a plan to treat my space- I've got like a $400-$500 budget for panels. I was going to go the DIY route and source OC703 insulation and build my own panels but I am really sensitive to particles in the air and allergies and they have a lot of chemicals and fibers I don't want to contaminate my apartment. I would rather spend a bit more and get nice finished looking panels that are made with more air quality friendly materials that are already wrapped.

Trying to decide on a fabric color. I could either go red or go for a muted grey or spend a bit more for the silvery fabric.

I will have a couple panels on metal stands like this that I can move around and it will allow me to place one in the corner by that door so I can move it.

Once sound treatment is done I will look into a monitor upgrade- I'm really leaning to Focal CMS65s, I've near heard them but everything I read and they are amazing and the look pretty damn sexy.

$1600 for a pair is not so great but maybe I can find a pair for a bit less used. I am tempted to go with cheaper monitors but in my mind I am already sold on them and know I will regret not getting the Focals if I get anything else.
Romelia Stankard
some hackintosh parts have arrived

new spot for the booth, glad I didn't buy a kitchen table for that spot...

Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
What do you do to organise all you cables? I'm moving soon and I want to have my setup facing out into a room rather than against the wall so I'm believeing of getting one of those expedit cupboard inserts and drilling a couple of holes in the back so I can keep all the cabling as far out of sight as possible.

Before I had stuff in front of the cables in the shelf. I may get some sort of insert to block them off from the front or one of those cable tube things.
Tatum Ansaldo
What do you do to organise all you cables? I'm moving soon and I want to have my setup facing out into a room rather than against the wall so I'm believeing of getting one of those expedit cupboard inserts and drilling a couple of holes in the back so I can keep all the cabling as far out of sight as possible.
Romelia Stankard
Ok so I actually have a big update...

I completely rearranged my entire apartment to relocate my studio into my living room where my DJ area was so that I can actually have a decent monitoring environment. Still need a new desk, sound treatment, and new monitors but this made a world of difference and is definitely usable with the KRKs in the meantime.

I also took this chance to take some detailed pics of my ikea dj booth that I didn't when I built it which will hopefully answer some questions about how it is assembled.

sounds so much better
Palma Hanslip
The VXT6's we use in the studio we also use a Genelec subwoofer with it because the 6" cone just ain't enough so we have the sub to back us up. Hence why i'm away to buy the 8's. I was considering the Genelecs but i don't want to spend
Romelia Stankard
yeah same story. i'm keeping a pair for my dj setup for sure but need to decide on monitors for the studio. it's a tough decision, i also can't tell if the KRK 10s subwoofer is any good or not and I should ditch that for production too.
Palma Hanslip
Ah i suppose you have the Gen 1 rokits huh? I have the Rokit 6's G2 and they are great for DJ'n but crap for production.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Liambo
What do you find so bad about your KRK's? I use the VXT6's in my mates studio and love them. Away to buy some VXT8's for myself tomorrow..
The VXTs are great and a whole different thing, it's the rokkits that suck.
Palma Hanslip
I desperately need to get rid of a pair of my KRKs and get some real studio monitors. These things are an absolute joke for production (great for DJing), I didn't realize how bad they were until I've been trying to seriously mix a track this weekend and I have to do most mixing in headphones since they are useless. I'm sure it's also my room but a big part is the monitors.
What do you find so bad about your KRK's? I use the VXT6's in my mates studio and love them. Away to buy some VXT8's for myself tomorrow..
Romelia Stankard
I desperately need to get rid of a pair of my KRKs and get some real studio monitors. These things are an absolute joke for production (great for DJing), I didn't realize how bad they were until I've been trying to seriously mix a track this weekend and I have to do most mixing in headphones since they are useless. I'm sure it's also my room but a big part is the monitors.
Ira Alsadi
That desk is the thing dreams are made of. My pants just got shorter.

Still trying to figure out what to do for a production desk.

I'm getting serious about production and am going to move my studio area to where my DJ setup is so I can get better monitoring.

I desperately need a new desk and unfortunately all the ones on the market are way over priced or look like junk

I found this picture on gearslutz and it looks like this guy made my dream studio desk out of aluminum and mdf, I'm going to have to find out details I would love something like this

Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by botstein
Xone, are you sure you don't want racks built in a la this? http://www.custom-consoles.com/studi...re-gallery.php

The aluminum is really beautiful, though.
the one I posted above has a decent amount of rack space in the desk especially considering how little outboard I have at the moment.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by zco14
@Xonetacular

I'm building my own IKEA DJ booth and I'm following your design almost exactlyy. I've assembled one bookcase and still have to assemble another, I've also done the Lillangen leg frames. How do those hold up? When I was putting them together I noticed the middle parts of the frame are really bendy and whatnot.

Also, how did you bolt the two bookcases together?

Thanks,
-Panda
look through the ikea dj booth thread I have pics/details in there. I used steel brackets from home depot to bolt the two together. be sure you assemble the expedits with gorilla glue all around then you use metal brackets to attach them together (you attach the brackets to the particle board shelves). the leg frames hold up fine just drill some extra holes in them so you can attach more screws
Ervin Calvery
Xone, are you sure you don't want racks built in a la this? http://www.custom-consoles.com/studi...re-gallery.php

The aluminum is really beautiful, though.
Virgina Nihan
@Xonetacular

I'm building my own IKEA DJ booth and I'm following your design almost exactlyy. I've assembled one bookcase and still have to assemble another, I've also done the Lillangen leg frames. How do those hold up? When I was putting them together I noticed the middle parts of the frame are really bendy and whatnot.

Also, how did you bolt the two bookcases together?

Thanks,
-Panda
Romelia Stankard
Still trying to figure out what to do for a production desk.

I'm getting serious about production and am going to move my studio area to where my DJ setup is so I can get better monitoring.

I desperately need a new desk and unfortunately all the ones on the market are way over priced or look like junk

I found this picture on gearslutz and it looks like this guy made my dream studio desk out of aluminum and mdf, I'm going to have to find out details I would love something like this

Jenette Bristol
Ikea Lillangen Leg Frames. They are the perfect width. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/
Thanks!
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by SnugNuts
what are you using as the base to hold up the expedit book case?
Ikea Lillangen Leg Frames. They are the perfect width. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/
Jenette Bristol
what are you using as the base to hold up the expedit book case?
Jenette Bristol
I moved to FL and just had an S4 with me since it was simple. I picked up an ipad on craigslist and started running TouchOSC

This was from before I had any furniture in my apartment

Seeing as how I had no furniture yet and had the rest of my hardware being shipped, i started brainstorming ideas for a custom ikea booth in this thread which spawned the ikea dj booth blog post:

http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...highlight=ikea

these were my conceptual renderings for my ikea booth ideas

This was the finished result

what are you using as the base to hold up your expedit?
Elias Manzur
damn son!!! that is a sick collection of pics!!! 100 thumbs up son!!!
Romelia Stankard
Get an angled piece of wood to get the angle you want
Francene Klimmek
Pardon me. What's a block wedge?
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by dj_marv
Thanks for you response man.

One other thing...which "legs" would you suggest for the slant top.

I know you used the slanted legs to raise your top shelf. Do you know if they have any legs that will give me that almost 70degrees slant I want.
There are none ikea sells... best bet would be to make a block wedge if you wanted to use the ikea brackets
Francene Klimmek
Thanks for you response man.

One other thing...which "legs" would you suggest for the slant top.

I know you used the slanted legs to raise your top shelf. Do you know if they have any legs that will give me that almost 70degrees slant I want.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by dj_marv
The back of your topmost shelf is parallel with the whole unit at the back I guess. I meant it is not overhanging.
Yeah, if you want to fit TTs in battle and want to put CDJs on it then you will want to push it back. Just be sure if you are making an angled shelf for CDJs you install it properly like I did and get the longer metric bolts and big fat washers. the expedits are pretty much 1/8" pieces of plywood sandwiched around some cardboard so you need to be careful.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy