Xonetacular's Setup

Xonetacular's Setup
Posted on: 25.11.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Now that we can edit threads again I'll post my current setup here for those of you who don't feel like sifting through 26 pages if you are unfortunate enough to be using the default 10 posts per page

dj setup:

I need to take updated pictures-

looks like this

but over here:

studio/modular setup as of june 2012

running genome midi on the ipad into ableton out to the modular- such a nice sequencer and very hands on and nice to use on the ipad. I might eventually switch to an expert sleepers digital audio to CV interface for better latency- I believe the latency on the midi/cv converter is more of an issue than over wireless (and genome has stuff built in to compensate) but that's just a guess. Still useable how it is now.

modular setup as of july 2012:

---------------------------------
original post:
It all started three years ago with two Technics 1200 MK2s, a budget numark mixer, and about 15 vinyl records, and Sond MDR-V6 headphones.

Quickly I realized vinyl was expensive and I decided to get Traktor Scratch Pro

I decided I wanted to upgrade my mixer and get something scratch certified so I got a Mackie d.4 pro

My first attempt at a production setup involved ableton live 7, an MPD32, and a Microkorg

Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by feathermesoftly
Hey dude,

your silver vertical Laptop stand looks pretty swish, enlighten me on where to buy it (:
which one? I used to have a stanton uberstand if that's what you're referring to (google it).

Originally Posted by boarderbas
mc-909 or tr-909?
tr-909, the roland mc line is pretty meh. I actually traded the machinedrum but not for anything music related. I just couldn't get it to sync right with ableton and it wasn't getting much use.
Rosario Whitington
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
Focal CMS 65s, these things are pretty incredible. I believe they are broken in I ran them for like 25 hours now they sound pretty amazing. I also believe they look awesome as a bonus (much better than the new genelecs, dynaudios, etc.), it looks like composite from pictures but they are actually thick sold aluminum anodized cases.

I got around to painting these 1200s which I'm going to sell and then buy bass traps. I also grabbed another 1200 off craigslist a few hours ago so I have another pair I need to paint.

grabbed this for cheap

needs a new tone arm, I didn't realize until I got home the tine piece that juts out for the tone arm lift is broken off but everything else is fine for the price and it will get paint
Loving the white technics
How are the stickers holding up, I'm afraid they fall of, so that is why I won't paint mine.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by 0.0
Mhm. Mhm. Yeah. I know some of these words!
Haha I'm with you there man! All looks very cool and I'd like to fiddle with it, but I'd need days as I'd have no idea where to start.
Dierdre Stillabower
I'm believeing of building a DIY 18u case, it would technically be 9u but with 3 rows of 168hp rails and I would just power it with 3 uzeus to save money since I already have two.

Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by m00n
How do you like your Piston Honda and Maths? I'm currently piecing together modules to fill a 19" "Happy Ending Kit" from tiptop. I am going to go with the doepfer A-110 for just a plain old OSC, but I also wanted another more sonically "exotic" OSC to play with and came to like the demos of the Piston Honda & Maths(I just love all the things it seems you can do with maths).. Can you give me any first hand insight on what you like/dislike about these particular modules, if they are really worth the cash they pull, and any other modules or anything else I should keep my ears open for..

Man it sucks being a fish again.. LOL.
are you on muffwiggler.com community s? best bet is to get on the eurorack modular planner and get in the eurorack community

Piston honda is pretty cool for a wavetable osc. Maths is a great versatile module and you get a lot for your money in a small system, but they are not available right now and won't be until it is redesigned and who knows when that will be- you probably won't find one secondhand either (they get snatched up in literally 30 seconds if one comes up) so you cna probably get maths out of your head for now.

I would skip the doepfer A-110. Even if you want a vanilla osc there are much better choices- intellijel Dixie II is what I would recommend probably for a standard osc. Intellijel Designs is absolutely killing it right now and has a lot of great modules to start with. Intellijel Quadra and expander makes a great maths replacement for envelopes at least and more (maths does more than that but only two envelopes).

Also a happy ending kit is a good start just have a plan for expanding since you will fill it quick. I would just get a 6u case to start or plan on expanding the happy ending kit and putting it in something like I did.
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by RockingClub
To be honest I would happily live without aftertouch. It sometimes happens to be quite annoying in my oppinion...
Small keys are a problem though.
sfluh-what? You're annoyed by aftertouch?
@spadenation The Novation slk mkii keyboards, which I prefer to the Akai keyboards, have aftertouch.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by feathermesoftly
Hey dude,

your silver vertical Laptop stand looks pretty swish, enlighten me on where to buy it (:
which one? I used to have a stanton uberstand if that's what you're referring to (google it).

Originally Posted by boarderbas
mc-909 or tr-909?
tr-909, the roland mc line is pretty meh. I actually traded the machinedrum but not for anything music related. I just couldn't get it to sync right with ableton and it wasn't getting much use.
Ashlea Delabruere
Hey dude,

Evia Nitch
mc-909 or tr-909?
Rosario Whitington
Focal CMS 65s, these things are pretty incredible. I believe they are broken in I ran them for like 25 hours now they sound pretty amazing. I also believe they look awesome as a bonus (much better than the new genelecs, dynaudios, etc.), it looks like composite from pictures but they are actually thick sold aluminum anodized cases.

I got around to painting these 1200s which I'm going to sell and then buy bass traps. I also grabbed another 1200 off craigslist a few hours ago so I have another pair I need to paint.

grabbed this for cheap

needs a new tone arm, I didn't realize until I got home the tine piece that juts out for the tone arm lift is broken off but everything else is fine for the price and it will get paint
Loving the white technics
How are the stickers holding up, I'm afraid they fall of, so that is why I won't paint mine.
Neil Malia
Hey man do you have any updates on those tight ass modules ur workin on??
Romelia Stankard
Hmm I haven't updated this in a while. Not much has changed except a rather large backlog of DIY modules I need to build. I'm debating selling my machinedrum for a 909- but can't decide and it's really up to chance as to what prices/condition are like if I were to look for one if it's worth it.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by 0.0
Haha I'm with you there man! All looks very cool and I'd like to fiddle with it, but I'd need days as I'd have no idea where to start.
Dierdre Stillabower
I'm believeing of building a DIY 18u case, it would technically be 9u but with 3 rows of 168hp rails and I would just power it with 3 uzeus to save money since I already have two.

Romelia Stankard
guess I can update this thread while I'm here...

building some modules...

current:

I need to expand my case, I have a ton of DIY modules lined up that I could probably fill another 6u with.

Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by m00n
How do you like your Piston Honda and Maths? I'm currently piecing together modules to fill a 19" "Happy Ending Kit" from tiptop. I am going to go with the doepfer A-110 for just a plain old OSC, but I also wanted another more sonically "exotic" OSC to play with and came to like the demos of the Piston Honda & Maths(I just love all the things it seems you can do with maths).. Can you give me any first hand insight on what you like/dislike about these particular modules, if they are really worth the cash they pull, and any other modules or anything else I should keep my ears open for..

are you on muffwiggler.com community s? best bet is to get on the eurorack modular planner and get in the eurorack community

Piston honda is pretty cool for a wavetable osc. Maths is a great versatile module and you get a lot for your money in a small system, but they are not available right now and won't be until it is redesigned and who knows when that will be- you probably won't find one secondhand either (they get snatched up in literally 30 seconds if one comes up) so you cna probably get maths out of your head for now.

I would skip the doepfer A-110. Even if you want a vanilla osc there are much better choices- intellijel Dixie II is what I would recommend probably for a standard osc. Intellijel Designs is absolutely killing it right now and has a lot of great modules to start with. Intellijel Quadra and expander makes a great maths replacement for envelopes at least and more (maths does more than that but only two envelopes).

Also a happy ending kit is a good start just have a plan for expanding since you will fill it quick. I would just get a 6u case to start or plan on expanding the happy ending kit and putting it in something like I did.
Loreta Altema

Susie Oline
Do you use that DJ booth in your live shows for your setup?
Laurence Calisto
beauuuutiful, dude. that modular is gorgeous. lil bit green with envy here for sure.

the orange patch cables are really sharp.
Corie Murtagh
Dang xone!!! Looking bad A with those orange patch cables! Sorry for high jacking your thread.. Haha wish I had enough money for a modular system. Can't wait to see what your new projects are all about
Romelia Stankard
So I got some orange cables

I have a bunch of projects underway in modular land- building a bunch of DIY modules
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by RockingClub
To be honest I would happily live without aftertouch. It sometimes happens to be quite annoying in my oppinion...
sfluh-what? You're annoyed by aftertouch?
@spadenation The Novation slk mkii keyboards, which I prefer to the Akai keyboards, have aftertouch.
Sylvia Greener
Corie Murtagh
Okay so I looked at the Roland a-500s keyboard and it has small keys and no after touch . I got excited at first but then saw that and thats kind of a sale stopper for me. Doesn't the akai mpk have full sized keys with aftertouch?
Ah looks like a real synth is the way to go, but can't decide on one that would be my main workstation. Any thoughts?
Shonda Soulier
I bet your neighbors see you carrying all this in and out and believe you run some kind of pawn shop out of your home.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by drewspuppet
You should check out the Roland a-500 keyboard - believe that's the model It's 49 keys no knobs or sliders - I have plenty too.

Anyway, it is nice and compact and the keybed feels amazing! Unreal, really, I used to own the mpk 49 - I don't even play keys really but the Roland feels so good it inspires me to play more

that looks really nice- I would gladly trade my mpk49 for one as it just gets in the way

Originally Posted by safefire
Ahhh, another one bitten by the modular bug ^^

Part of the reason I disappeared from this place a while ago was because I got sucked into synths and modulars from DJ'ing. Watch out, it gets addicting But I suppose there is no need telling you that now.

I can recommend looking into some Cwejman and Addacsys stuff, they make some really interesting modules.

Also, just to completely ruin you; Modcan.
yeah cwejman and addac are nice but too pricey for me when other manufacturers make great stuff at a fraction of the price. I want to get into DIY stuff a little more- I just build a 4ms RCD kit and have a PEG kit on the way and there are some other DIY projects I want to try to save money.

I do like the modcan stuff and want the additive oscillator when it comes out. Next three modules on my list are Wiard Noisering and Makenoise Echophon and DPO.

I haven't really touched my DJ stuff in months it seems aside from fixing up turntables.
Terra Merigold
You should check out the Roland a-500 keyboard - believe that's the model It's 49 keys no knobs or sliders - I have plenty too.

Anyway, it is nice and compact and the keybed feels amazing! Unreal, really, I used to own the mpk 49 - I don't even play keys really but the Roland feels so good it inspires me to play more
Lewis Stumpf
Ahhh, another one bitten by the modular bug ^^

Part of the reason I disappeared from this place a while ago was because I got sucked into synths and modulars from DJ'ing. Watch out, it gets addicting But I suppose there is no need telling you that now.

I can recommend looking into some Cwejman and Addacsys stuff, they make some really interesting modules.

Also, just to completely ruin you; Modcan.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by spadenation
hey, im looking for some guidence
how do you like the akai mpk keyboard? ive also been looking at the akai mpk and everybody says that when you replace the pads with extra thick mpc pads they feel as good as the maschines pads (they are like 30 bucks for the sheet, not bad). but i dont really need them, i mean i already have the maschine. so all i need is the keys and maybe the mixer section. then there is the idea of getting a synth that has midi functionality, but i cant decide there either. looked the access virus ti2 is a pretty bad A synthesizer with midi but its freakin $3000 new. plus no mixer section.

how come you went with tiptop for the modular set up? ever believe of getting a mixer?
i must admit your setup does look nice! freakin awsome gear man!
it's ok- it's a midi keyboard with usable keys and a pitch bend wheel- that's all I need out of a midi keyboard. I don't use pads and don't believe faders on any midi keyboard are useful right now and never use them. I would probably prefer to just get a midi keyboard that is slimmer that only has keys and pitchbend/modwheel- everything else gets in the way and would rather have separate controllers that do it better. all midi keyboards are meh to be honest.

The only tiptop stuff I have are rails and power because it is cheap and very good- all my modules are a mix of different brands.

You mean believe of getting a hardware studio mixer? I thought about it but probably too much hassle- I would rather just mix ITB right now (and if they weren't so expensive euphonix artist series controllers)- much easier.
Corie Murtagh
hey, im looking for some guidence
how do you like the akai mpk keyboard? ive also been looking at the akai mpk and everybody says that when you replace the pads with extra thick mpc pads they feel as good as the maschines pads (they are like 30 bucks for the sheet, not bad). but i dont really need them, i mean i already have the maschine. so all i need is the keys and maybe the mixer section. then there is the idea of getting a synth that has midi functionality, but i cant decide there either. looked the access virus ti2 is a pretty bad A synthesizer with midi but its freakin $3000 new. plus no mixer section.

how come you went with tiptop for the modular set up? ever believe of getting a mixer?
i must admit your setup does look nice! freakin awsome gear man!
Romelia Stankard
my machine is edu version so i can't sell it and it stays. I would probably keep it anyway- there are a lot of good sounds in machine
Patrica Giancaterino
So, plans to get rid of maschine? I also have a maschine and was considering getting a machinedrum, but I feel like there might be too much overlap.
Sylvia Greener
thanks. no still not bankrupt yet but I don't have any savings that's for sure.
But therefore you've got one of the most admirable setups here and the longest thread I guess
Looking forward to hear from you how the Machinedrum sounds.
Mauro Left
How is the machinedrum to use ?

I've been drooling over it for quite a while but just can't make myself spend that much money on it.
Patty Mcgilbra
you're a lucky guy!
Judi Sissel
so how much dust does all the DJ gear have on it?
Erich Vallabhaneni
freaking clean setup. much love (and envy )
Random X
Oof!

(Unfortunately I also know how that feels.
Romelia Stankard

Originally Posted by JDFS
Why did you sell the Virus?
I was mostly using it for basses and monosynth type stuff and now the modular does all of that better and more easily. It's a great synth but I really wanted a machinedrum and was too impatient to save for one- plus I sold the virus on ebay and made like $250 profit from what I paid. I may get a virus c in the future if I could find a good deal on one and miss it.
Basil Forshee
Why did you sell the Virus?

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy