Which DAW suits me?

Which DAW suits me?
Posted on: 08.10.2013 by Bella Chadman
Hello.
I've been producing electronic music since this summer using FruityLoops producer edition. It's great for new producers and it is quick to use but everytime I use it I feel so uncomfortable. I believe its because of its surface and workflow. It looks so boring and you know, you got to spend lots of time stare on it when making music. And the workflow is just too quick and easy and the result is dissapointing. Like really theres no good sounds in FL, I have to use new plugins and these cost alot too. I cant afford all of them as Im only 15.
Please help me choose a new DAW. I am going to buy Macbook soon because I feel its easier to use when producing music.

- A DAW that has LOTS of sounds to pick from
- A DAW that has plenty of good sounds so I dont have to rely on buying new plugins all the time
- A DAW with pretty good sound quality
- A DAW that works on Mac
- A DAW that is not too easy to use
- A DAW that is a little difficult but possible to understand as a new music producer after using it a few months
- A DAW that doesnt cost more than $500
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Appreciate quick answers
Adele Koscher
Originally Posted by Venedetta
- A DAW that has plenty of good sounds so I dont have to rely on buying new plugins all the time
- A DAW that is a little difficult but possible to understand as a new music producer after using it a few months
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL
Like you I am new to music production. I recently bought Renoise; the learning curve was a lot of fun (maybe fulfils your quirky requirements above about not being 'too easy') and maybe you would enjoy how it looks.

You can try it for free, and I used it for a while like this which is what got me hooked. But I spent
Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL
Like you I am new to music production. I recently bought Renoise; the learning curve was a lot of fun (maybe fulfils your quirky requirements above about not being 'too easy') and maybe you would enjoy how it looks.

You can try it for free, and I used it for a while like this which is what got me hooked. But I spent
Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Tera Baragan
In your initial post you make a comment saying that

"It's great for new producers and it is quick to use but everytime I use it I feel so uncomfortable. I believe its because of its surface and workflow. It looks so boring and you know, you got to spend lots of time stare on it when making music. And the workflow is just too quick and easy and the result is dissapointing. Like really theres no good sounds in FL, I have to use new plugins and these cost alot too."

FL is known to have the more simple of workflows, easiest to grasp etc. The reason your result is disappointing isn't your DAW lmao. You can make the same sounds and songs in almost every popular Daw out there.

You are clearly using presets with the last line. Most people, regardless of Daw choose external VST's because you just cant compare to sylenth, massive, fm8 etc.

what I actually meant with ''lots of sounds'' is that I want a DAW that has lots of good plugins with good sounds. and its look is important for ME. I never said that I want a good design to showoff or anything. I told you, when making music we spend several hours looking at it. and I cant make music looking at something that looks like audacity.

ty for answers
So basically you want a DAW that will write the song for you and look nice..
Every DAW has the same plugin basics. Sines,squares, triangles with different oscillators, lfo control, filter etc.

You should be making your own sounds or sampling and changing things up. Not using presets lmao.

I feel you should probably stick with FL and continue trying to learn to produce because as of right now you don't seem to know much at all about production.
Libbie Orion
Hello.

You get sounds from elsewhere and PUT them into your DAW, the DAW doesnt come with sounds

The plugins help you make new changes, and layer elements within the same sound, You dont always need to keep buying new plugins. You just need to make sure you purchase the ones that fit your needs. Its possible to create GREAT music with fruity using its basic plugins.

That goes without saying. You get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap, with SONAR you can produce 16bit or higher. On the final end you can export the sound as WAV, MP3, WMV, Real Audio and a few others. I believe thats what you ment actually

Most good DAW's come with a MAC version

Sonar (made by Cakewalk)

Sonar (made by Cakewalk) i used it for 4 years without extra plugins, made TONS of music for this old website called mp3.com where the music was sold

You get what you pay for. again Sonar (made by Cakewalk) i dont believe its 500

- A DAW that looks good
Who cares what it looks like. If a fat chick can sing like an angel ill buy all her albums. Doesnt mean i want to show her off to my parents

- A DAW that is not FL
I believe you are just limiting yourself with FL. Its my impression yo need to explore it a bit more

Appreciate quick fat chicks
please see my answers above in the quoted message
Ervin Calvery

- A DAW that looks good
DAWs aren't really about sound libraries - they're more about core-functionality music and audio production. I sample things a lot using Ableton, Maschine, Kontakt, etc, but I perfer libraries made for Kontakt, Reaktor, and Maschine, as opposed to just Ableton.

That said, you could go for the educational version of Ableton suite - it comes with a lot of sounds (some of which I had bought separately, back in the day), and some good plugins and effects. It also comes with Max for Live, which is awesome. It will probably be good enough for a very long time. Puremagnetik is also an affordable way to have a new something once a month for Ableton.
Bella Chadman
Hello.
I've been producing electronic music since this summer using FruityLoops producer edition. It's great for new producers and it is quick to use but everytime I use it I feel so uncomfortable. I believe its because of its surface and workflow. It looks so boring and you know, you got to spend lots of time stare on it when making music. And the workflow is just too quick and easy and the result is dissapointing. Like really theres no good sounds in FL, I have to use new plugins and these cost alot too. I cant afford all of them as Im only 15.
Please help me choose a new DAW. I am going to buy Macbook soon because I feel its easier to use when producing music.

- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Appreciate quick answers
Adele Koscher
- A DAW that looks good
- A DAW that is not FL

Gwenda Busbey
Logic X is now out, obviously it is for macs. And it looks pretty awesome, I'm still using logic 9 and love it. AND IT ONLY COSTS 200$! However I wouldn't rely on all the sounds that come on it, you would definitely end up wanting to buy sylenth, omnisphere maybe more after a little while of using Logic.

My brother uses FL and loves it, and I have a producer friend who uses Protools and loves it. Its whatever you are comfortable with, but from what you are asking for sounds like Logic is your best bet.
Rodolfo Oriol
I know exactly what you mean. 2 years ago, I used FL Studio. I didn't quite like the workflow of it, so I changed to Ableton. I tried the Ableton Demo and everything was just perfect. The workflow suited me, everything got so much easier to navigate. Later on I bought the Ableton Intro for 100$, which comes with 15 audio effects and some instruments. Bought Z3ta+2 and Native Instruments
So my tip would be Ableton, because I've seen lots of people changing from FL to Ableton just because the workflow. Try out the demo, I believe you would like it.

I can also say that I'm also 15 years old, and my situation was similar to yours. According not affording vsts/plugins, start with 1 synth and learn the hell out of it. I bought z3ta+2 as my main synth for my productions, then I bought NI's Komplete Elements that comes with 3 different kind of synths, guitar amps, and lots of instruments. I also spent days searching for good quality plugins.

As you may already seen, I've bought the "light" version of ableton and NI's komplete. These go under 100$, but comes with a huge amount of things. Start with what you have and build up from there once you learn it. If you want some names on good quality vsts, hit me up on my soundcloud/email.

Nightcall.
Olene Minyard
I totally get where you're coming from. I'm very much a visual user of things and if it looks pleasing, it better engages me.

I've been through a few DAWs including Cubase, Ableton, Digital Performer, Studio One etc. The set up I have finally settled on is using Logic Pro X with Reason 7 re wired into it. This set pleases my visual style, particularly Reason, and I can use Logic superior midi controls to control Reasons excellent instruments as well as have access to both Logic and Reasons libraries. I'd imagine these would probably give you all you need and fit within your budget.
Tera Baragan
In your initial post you make a comment saying that

"It's great for new producers and it is quick to use but everytime I use it I feel so uncomfortable. I believe its because of its surface and workflow. It looks so boring and you know, you got to spend lots of time stare on it when making music. And the workflow is just too quick and easy and the result is dissapointing. Like really theres no good sounds in FL, I have to use new plugins and these cost alot too."

FL is known to have the more simple of workflows, easiest to grasp etc. The reason your result is disappointing isn't your DAW lmao. You can make the same sounds and songs in almost every popular Daw out there.

You are clearly using presets with the last line. Most people, regardless of Daw choose external VST's because you just cant compare to sylenth, massive, fm8 etc.

what I actually meant with ''lots of sounds'' is that I want a DAW that has lots of good plugins with good sounds. and its look is important for ME. I never said that I want a good design to showoff or anything. I told you, when making music we spend several hours looking at it. and I cant make music looking at something that looks like audacity.

ty for answers
So basically you want a DAW that will write the song for you and look nice..
Every DAW has the same plugin basics. Sines,squares, triangles with different oscillators, lfo control, filter etc.

You should be making your own sounds or sampling and changing things up. Not using presets lmao.

I feel you should probably stick with FL and continue trying to learn to produce because as of right now you don't seem to know much at all about production.
Bella Chadman

ty for answers
Libbie Orion
Hello.

You get sounds from elsewhere and PUT them into your DAW, the DAW doesnt come with sounds

The plugins help you make new changes, and layer elements within the same sound, You dont always need to keep buying new plugins. You just need to make sure you purchase the ones that fit your needs. Its possible to create GREAT music with fruity using its basic plugins.

That goes without saying. You get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap, with SONAR you can produce 16bit or higher. On the final end you can export the sound as WAV, MP3, WMV, Real Audio and a few others. I believe thats what you ment actually

Most good DAW's come with a MAC version

Sonar (made by Cakewalk)

Sonar (made by Cakewalk) i used it for 4 years without extra plugins, made TONS of music for this old website called mp3.com where the music was sold

You get what you pay for. again Sonar (made by Cakewalk) i dont believe its 500

- A DAW that looks good
Who cares what it looks like. If a fat chick can sing like an angel ill buy all her albums. Doesnt mean i want to show her off to my parents

- A DAW that is not FL
I believe you are just limiting yourself with FL. Its my impression yo need to explore it a bit more

Appreciate quick fat chicks
please see my answers above in the quoted message
Monserrate Rupnow
Another vote for Logic X, almost 50GB of content for $200 and it runs fine on a Mac. Tons of synths included, you'll be busy for years.
Ming Devis
Logic X. Lots of instruments and sounds to choose from and $200. If your not into live performance I would pick it up
Layne Koop
Check out this post from Mad Zach about free (or really cheap) DAW & synths.

http://www.djranking s.com/2013/06/1...-live-without/

In terms of basic sounds, you could do a lot worse than the Mad Zach sound packs. You don't need Ableton to use them...I spend time mapping them into Maschine...but you can use them as just sound files in any DAW. But for $50, you will be hard pressed to find a better overall value.

https://store.djranking s.com/produc...ach-soundpacks
Ervin Calvery

- A DAW that looks good
DAWs aren't really about sound libraries - they're more about core-functionality music and audio production. I sample things a lot using Ableton, Maschine, Kontakt, etc, but I perfer libraries made for Kontakt, Reaktor, and Maschine, as opposed to just Ableton.

That said, you could go for the educational version of Ableton suite - it comes with a lot of sounds (some of which I had bought separately, back in the day), and some good plugins and effects. It also comes with Max for Live, which is awesome. It will probably be good enough for a very long time. Puremagnetik is also an affordable way to have a new something once a month for Ableton.
Lakeesha Storman
You're not going to like my answers dude.

DAWs don't make sounds. Synths within DAWs do as do samples that are able to be used within any DAW. If you want LOTS of sounds to pick from, find free samples online as there's a ton of them. Look for free synth VSTs that have lots of presets. You can even download a crap ton of free presets for synths at FL's community . Lack of sounds is not your problem, nor is having to rely on buying new plugins.

I can't confirm this, but I'm pretty sure that all DAWs (at least the major ones) are capable of producing 24-bit WAV file sound quality. That's CD reference sound quality, so again FL Studio is not your problem here. Most any DAW will do here.

You're seriously complaining about the ease of use and want something more difficult? Um, ok.

You'll have to tell us what to you does look good. I'll just say that statement sounds a lot like the snowboarders here in CO who buy snowboards cause they have good graphics, then can't ride for crap. The old dude on an old, beat to hell board outrides the guy whose board has a great graphic on the topsheet. Who cares what your DAW looks like? Make your music sound great. Noone's looking at your DAW on soundcloud.

I believe most of the big player DAWs have trial versions. Have you tried each one to see what the workflow will be like, the amount of sounds the included synths have as well as the amount of samples that come with the DAW, how awesome it looks and what kind of sound quality it has? Play around with each one and buy the one that you're most comfortable with.

But most of all, do a little research on all the free stuff you can get out there currently, don't listen to your friends that say FL Studio sucks and see if you can make it work with FL Studio while saving your money for something like say, a controller?

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy