Ableton user looking for a new controller: Push or Maschine?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Ableton user looking for a new controller: Push or Maschine?Reply
Ableton user looking for a new controller: Push or Maschine?
Posted on: 04.01.2014 by Bernard Pulizzi
I own Ableton Live 9 Suite and I love it. if you already owned a full version of the software which controller would you buy?

I understand that this question has been asked to death across the web, but it's primarily asked by those who are first looking to get into production, and don't own a DAW.

I'm on the fence, and know that I'd be happy with either, but am always looking to take the opinion of others into account!

Thanks guys!

EDIT: also, is it possible to use the samples supplied with Ableton within the Maschine?
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by kbridge
What do you use the APC 20 for? And I assume you also use the X1 to DJ with?
APC 20 for transport, Volume faders, Clip launches etc basically main controls within ableton, the less I have to touch the mouse the better

The X1 was used for DJing when I first got it a couple of years ago, but now only gets used in ableton as I have gone back to vinyl.
Bernard Pulizzi
Originally Posted by amadeus
I bought maschine the other year, and I have to say it is a fantastic bit of kit.

I produce deep house / house and I have to say working on drums with maschine is amazing, but then again working with instruments is just as fulfilling. And it intergrates amazingly well with ableton, it changed my work flow for the better and made it a lot quicker to get ideas down.

I also run an APC 20 in ableton and use an NI X1 for automation control etc

The bundled software with maschine now also is a great bonus. but i have to say I would like to try out Push to see if it could bring something new, but tbh I like my workflow at the moment and don't believe I'm missing out on anything by not having Push.
What do you use the APC 20 for? And I assume you also use the X1 to DJ with?
Lawana Mileto
I bought maschine the other year, and I have to say it is a fantastic bit of kit.

I produce deep house / house and I have to say working on drums with maschine is amazing, but then again working with instruments is just as fulfilling. And it intergrates amazingly well with ableton, it changed my work flow for the better and made it a lot quicker to get ideas down.

I also run an APC 20 in ableton and use an NI X1 for automation control etc

The bundled software with maschine now also is a great bonus. but i have to say I would like to try out Push to see if it could bring something new, but tbh I like my workflow at the moment and don't believe I'm missing out on anything by not having Push.
Bernard Pulizzi
I believe it's looking in favour of Maschine - I'm a techno(ish) producer, and love working with percussion opposed to melodies and multiple octave-spanning basslines - therefore the 16 pads would be more than enough.

Plus, with Maschine I get the full Maschine software, and Massive, and now, another bit of NI software (I believe?), very nice bundle.

And push is just an extension of Live I guess, so if I were to buy a rotary controller, I don't see a whole much of an advantage with push, where I could just import Maschine's loops and individual tracks..

I'm very excited to get something just not too sure which one it will be as of yet.

I'm believeing Maschine for the drum programming and a BCR2000 to record automation and give those loops some movement in Ableton - the days of recording automation parameters using a mouse are very limited, thank god!
Stanley Topoleski
LAUNCHPAD... i swear by them these days .. although for total control you can spend 250k on a big ass mixer haha
Nikole Resende
Controllerwise, there's nothing Maschine can do that Push can't.

Let's look at different things:

1. Beats programming: As long as you don't need the big pads for excessive finger drumming, Push is at least as good, maybe better than Maschine, since it offers the step-sequencer side by side with the drum pads, which gives you easier access compared to Maschine, where you have to switch between both modes.

2. Playing melodies and chords: clear point for Push, there's nothing Maschine has to offer to compete with the isomorphic keyboard. It's not just the layout, but when it comes to playing chords and melodies, 64 pads (-> 5.3 octaves) is just better than 16 pads (1.3 octaves).

3. Controlling Live: If you're working largely with Live's own devices, Push is your tool of choice, since it's so well integrated with Live. Same goes for controlling everything else in live.

4. Sampling: This may be my subjective view, but I believe when it comes to sampling and chopping up samples Maschine is still the better option.

5. Additional content: where Push doesn't add anything to your library, Maschine comes with a huge bag of samples, especially drums, in excellent quality, and some other great tools inkl. Massive, Prism, Scarbee Mark I, Solid Bus Compressor and, last but not least, a drum synth.

All in all I'd say the points for 1 to 3 go to Push, whereas Maschine wins in the last two categories. It's a slight advantage for Push, but not that big that I would say that Push is clearly superior to Maschine for everybody.

In the end it all depends on what you want to do...
Monserrate Rupnow
My vote is Push, completely changes the way I use Live and nothing will integrate as cleanly with Live as something created specifically for it.

Using the samples from Live Packs in other apps will be hit or miss. Some of them are stored all in one large file, not all are separated out into individual samples. Doable, but it might take more time to sort out than it's worth.
Rebbecca Fennell
Maschine is pretty awesome and the way it integrates in live is indispensable in my opinion. Push looks cool but it's too expensive and as a controller too much still can only be down with the mouse and keyboard. I'd recommend an mpc1000 as an ableton controller before I'd recommend push
Ervin Calvery
Maschine for sure and yes you can.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy