VCI-400 Problem

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: VCI-400 ProblemReply
VCI-400 Problem
Posted on: 20.11.2011 by Lise Kleinhaus
Hello,

i have a Problem with the Filterknobs on my VCI-400. I show this Problem in this Video:

http://youtu.be/J-kWu1YmEyM

If anyone have an answer let me know.
Dionne Bullock
Originally Posted by sfkim44
It is from the NI website and it says max output is 13 dBu. So it is what I have expected huh? hmm.. As you mentioned, Novation Twich is 7 dBu which is around 1.7V, so similar to VCI-400. So you've heard people with twitch complaining about lower output level huh?
That could be the headphone output. At any rate, I am saying it's not too low, just lower compared to NI, and mixers have gain to compensate this so it's really not a big deal. Not like you can't get enough gain at all like a CD mastered at a really low level.
Shanita Schweda
It is from the NI website and it says max output is 13 dBu. So it is what I have expected huh? hmm.. As you mentioned, Novation Twich is 7 dBu which is around 1.7V, so similar to VCI-400. So you've heard people with twitch complaining about lower output level huh?
Dionne Bullock
4. looking at most of the professional mixers the max output is 4Vrms. It goes up to 6Vrms. When i conver kontrol S4's 13 dBu to V, it 10 dBV and 3.5Vrms. So my ultimate question is that how does most people set up the output level at clubs or gigs? I understand that they don't set it up near max and like to have headroom when they set up. My concern is that if most professional level output level is very high then what happens if the norm is just say that to set up 2~2.5V? then max output level of VCI400's 1.7V won't work if you are performing in a gig where you have to go between 2 guys and they have set it up high.
Native Instruments' sound cards are on the louder side from my experience. I don't know where you got the number 13 dBu for S4, though (could have seen the input level), it should be 9.7 or something like that.

Most mixers have enough gain to adjust an S4 with, say, a VCI-400, but if you happened to DJ after an asshole that turned the gain all the way up with an S4 and the club manager got so pissed off that he wouldn't raise the master volume for other DJs any more, you may be out of luck. But again, you would be out of luck anyway because at such levels the channel LEDs should be all maxed out and unusable, and if the manager doesn't understand your claim that the level needs to be adjusted for better performance, you're screwed from the beginning.

I personally discuss and resolve issues with the club when I get the booth handed to me in awful conditions (like the gain at 5 o clock, only 3 LEDs lit on the master LED, etc...) so I wouldn't worry, but a lot of people who bought twitch that has an output comparable to VCI-400 (on the spec sheet at least) were complaining so in real life, I am not sure...
Shanita Schweda
So i've been doing some research and found out difference between dBV, V, and dBu units used to mark output levels.

regarding the VCI 400 it say

norminal output:
0 dBV (1.0V)

max output
+10dBV (3.0V), (at LINE IN 1/2, MIC IN 1/2 in "Direct" mode)
+5dBV (1.7V), (on playback of 1kHz, 0dB normalised signal)

Now the questions are:

1. for 3.0V, is that mean it only line-in and mic-in will be max output of 3.0V? if that's true. for the just playing files from the computer, max output is 1.7V?

2. when they say V, is that mean Vmax? Vrms? Vpp? I am guessing Vrms.

3. when i convert 10dBV to Vrms it comes out to be 3.2 Vrms.. I don't know why they are saying 3.0V... and when I convert 5dBV it comes out to be 1.8Vrms. I guess I need to just focus on the 5dBV since that's what I am guessing music playing from the computer will be depended on?

4. looking at most of the professional mixers the max output is 4Vrms. It goes up to 6Vrms. When i conver kontrol S4's 13 dBu to V, it 10 dBV and 3.5Vrms. So my ultimate question is that how does most people set up the output level at clubs or gigs? I understand that they don't set it up near max and like to have headroom when they set up. My concern is that if most professional level output level is very high then what happens if the norm is just say that to set up 2~2.5V? then max output level of VCI400's 1.7V won't work if you are performing in a gig where you have to go between 2 guys and they have set it up high. By reading some article i've seem something that it's actually good to set it up around 0dBV thus you have a headroom. Is this norm amont professional DJs? or do DJ usually set it up a bit high to get louder?
Huey Borgfeld
First off thank you for the quick replys DJMiCL and RD444

@DJ MiCL: The static will starts after i have been playing music for 30 mins. In other words, the static comes over the music, yes. I have tested out the static multiple times and checked for effects being on as well but to no avail, also the static is unlike any effect :/

@RD444: ok so i have tried multiple times to update with the new firmware but every time i download it, start the program then load .bin the firmware updater says:
"VCI-400 Firmware upgrade failed.
Please contact vendor for assistance."
But is that really my only option?
Oh yeah, and then the program crashes and asks me to send an error report :/
Temika Yelle
thx ! i'm too old school, sometimes...
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by MonsieurLam
just a way to subscribe to this thread.
at the top

is a better way
Temika Yelle
just a way to subscribe to this thread.
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by MonsieurLam
flag
what?
Temika Yelle
flag
Kacy Wehrmeyer
I have some questions regarding VCI400

1. latency on Windows
2. power supply is flimsy. making it powering on unstable.
3. output level too low.
1 latency fixed with new FW http://help.vestax.co.jp/en/catagoly.php?parent_id=4

2 power supply is in 2 parts, even after light use 2 days mine broke, (it stopped making good contact)vestax replaced it with a vci 300 psu (which has a flimsier wire but is in one part)

i wouldn't trust the design again, i'm not sur how everyone else got on with it (but me and another guy had the same problem)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xR_uEpyj34

more pics here

http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...3&postcount=56

not sure why controler decks have to have crappy power supplies and not a standard figure of 8 or clover leaf plug

3 sound level dont know, problably traktors limiter
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by Planetoi
Hey guys, so i have a couple issues with the VCI 400 i picked up. First off, when i use traktor pro 2 (on a mac, btw) for over 30 mins then i get this static coming through my speakers and my headphones... idk whats wrong...

Also, in traktor my jog wheels wont scratch... when i press down, it recognizes that and the music stops but when i turn the wheels nothing happens -_-
If anyone knows whats going on i would love to be enlightened
Thanks for the help in advance!
i got crackle until i updated to new vci400 firmware

jogs is because you need new traktor
Dionne Bullock
1. latency on Windows
3. output level too low.

3. is something that I've seen people are complaining basically VCI's output level is low
...VCI400's max output is 10dbu(3.0V) & 5dbu(1.7V) while others are 14dbu+
Is this a ligitimate concern? what does the Volage mean? I am just guessing power unit in vs. USB power or something...
1. The newest driver should have fixed that.
2. It seems like a pretty standard cable but most DC cables are flimsy compared to say, a PC monitor power cable.
3. Your units are wrong. VCI-400 outputs 10 and 5 dB"V". The voltage in parentheses are just converted numbers (different units). Pioneer CDJ2000 outputs 2V so the specs imply enough output though I can't tell you how it is in real life.
Dionne Bullock
Originally Posted by Planetoi
Hey guys, so i have a couple issues with the VCI 400 i picked up. First off, when i use traktor pro 2 (on a mac, btw) for over 30 mins then i get this static coming through my speakers and my headphones... idk whats wrong...

Also, in traktor my jog wheels wont scratch... when i press down, it recognizes that and the music stops but when i turn the wheels nothing happens -_-
Just posting a few possibilities.

Do you get just static and no music or you just hear static on top of the music? They both sound like a possible defect in the hardware but if it's the latter case, maybe there is an effect that's on with out you noticing it?

The Vestax mapping uses "jog touch" and "jog turn" for scratching that were not available before 2.1.1 -- is your version up to date? Is the .tsi file the newest one available at Vestax site?
Shanita Schweda
I have some questions regarding VCI400

basically, I wanted to get vci 400 first, but then have been hearing about 3 problems.

1. latency on Windows
3. output level too low.

I believe 1 is fixed with new patch, but regarding 2, is that true? the power supply and its connection does look flimsy from the video, but it that causing problem with heavy use?

3. is something that I've seen people are complaining basically VCI's output level is low that it becomes a problem when he is DJing in a set with other DJs with high output gears. because the master level would be set at a certain level, and one couldn't get it to play loud although he did turn his VCI all the way up. So i've looked into the other products for awhile and it looks like VCI400's max output is 10dbu(3.0V) & 5dbu(1.7V) while others are 14dbu+
Is this a ligitimate concern? what does the Volage mean? I am just guessing power unit in vs. USB power or something...

I am pretty sure there are others who want to know my concerns too, so it would greatly appreciated if someone can answer these questions.

Thank you
Huey Borgfeld

robin loo
Originally Posted by DJ MiCL
Finally there's the free Serato Intro for VCI-400, for those that wanted to try it.

http://serato.com/downloads/dj-intro
you need to update the firmware to get things going..

mac:
http://help.vestax.co.jp/en/detail.p...d_page_url=364
Mendy Yaws
Originally Posted by armyofme4340
Hi all to everyone asking about the switches. Please note that this was a prototype for color and placement and the switch will say b/d.

No worries guys. All 4 decks will get love.
I also thought of http://www.psdisasters.com/
Joannie Brague
Originally Posted by RD444
good point..... Mr G's not big on 4 decks i take it?

Hi all to everyone asking about the switches. Please note that this was a prototype for color and placement and the switch will say b/d.

No worries guys. All 4 decks will get love.
Dionne Bullock
Finally there's the free Serato Intro for VCI-400, for those that wanted to try it.

http://serato.com/downloads/dj-intro
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by weltraumpapst
well by DIY kit i meant, overlay and firmware which both can earn them money.. i believe the vci 400 SE will be sold out in a minute, so it would be good for both sides (DJTT and customers) being able to upgrade yourself.

why are there two A/C switches? doesnt make much sense, does it?
good point..... Mr G's not big on 4 decks i take it?

robin loo
Originally Posted by matloh
yes - i completely understand your point- it would be great to buy mapping and firmware - i could pay for it even 100$ or more (firmaware+mapping) - don't want to sell my gear just to have a small chance for buing a limited edition - there is a big chance i won't be as fast and will be left with empty hands
but
imagine a scenario when our downloadable upgrade leaks to web and you can get it for free - and DJTT politics is to give all mappings for free - shearing knowledge - but somebody made a great effort to map this thing and all his hard work goes off with one torrent file =- right now i'm trying to map effects to jog wheels and it's not an easy task - i have a huge headache i hope they will come up with an idea how to make it possible for standard VCI-400 users = maybe a "send your unit to DJTT" or something - yes i know the easiest way is downloading but how to control it?
we can only wait and see i guess - i'm sure that after they benefit from EG edition they will come up with a solution for us for sure!
me too, i wont sell my vci400 to buy one from the us and pay a hell of a lot more than i did.

you're right, it's hard to control, if stuff is leaking to the web, but as you said, DJTT politcs is to give all mappings for free and i hope this continues, cause they have still have the store to fall back on, when it comes to earning $$$. with the vci100 upgrade kit it was perfect, cause you needed to support DJTT by buying it directly from them in oder to upgrade your unit. so i hope they will have some similar stuff (like an overlay) or at least a donation button

i just joined the fb group (der jo )
Andra Demin
yes - i completely understand your point- it would be great to buy mapping and firmware - i could pay for it even 100$ or more (firmaware+mapping) - don't want to sell my gear just to have a small chance for buing a limited edition - there is a big chance i won't be as fast and will be left with empty hands
but
imagine a scenario when our downloadable upgrade leaks to web and you can get it for free - and DJTT politics is to give all mappings for free - shearing knowledge - but somebody made a great effort to map this thing and all his hard work goes off with one torrent file =- right now i'm trying to map effects to jog wheels and it's not an easy task - i have a huge headache i hope they will come up with an idea how to make it possible for standard VCI-400 users = maybe a "send your unit to DJTT" or something - yes i know the easiest way is downloading but how to control it?
we can only wait and see i guess - i'm sure that after they benefit from EG edition they will come up with a solution for us for sure!
robin loo
Originally Posted by matloh
me 2 - but i've already spoken to Ean and he sad that there will be no DIY kit...

"Sorry but on this one there will be no DIY - its going to be very hard to replicate but we can look into it later this year." so there is some hope hehe. you know, they have to benefit from their hard work. and making a paid download with firmware/mapping is like giving it for free (user-sharing) - i hope they will come up with some idea for us - cose i don't want to sell my vci-400 hehehe still i don;t know if there were some radical changes in hardware so i guess it's possible to make a similar mapping like EG edition.

ps. look on the photos - there is no deck D switch! and it's not a mistake...

anyway i made a facebook group to share all info i've found on the internet about vci-400 - feel free to join!

well by DIY kit i meant, overlay and firmware which both can earn them money.. i believe the vci 400 SE will be sold out in a minute, so it would be good for both sides (DJTT and customers) being able to upgrade yourself.

why are there two A/C switches? doesnt make much sense, does it?
Andra Demin
me 2 - but i've already spoken to Ean and he sad that there will be no DIY kit...

"Sorry but on this one there will be no DIY - its going to be very hard to replicate but we can look into it later this year." so there is some hope hehe. you know, they have to benefit from their hard work. and making a paid download with firmware/mapping is like giving it for free (user-sharing) - i hope they will come up with some idea for us - cose i don't want to sell my vci-400 hehehe still i don;t know if there were some radical changes in hardware so i guess it's possible to make a similar mapping like EG edition.

ps. look on the photos - there is no deck D switch! and it's not a mistake...

anyway i made a facebook group to share all info i've found on the internet about vci-400 - feel free to join!

The tool for upgrading the firmware comes as part of the Vestax driver package. No buggering about required.
robin loo
so.. DJTT annouced the ean golden SE version of the 400..

i really hope there will be some DIY-kit to turn your normal 400 into a SE like there was with the 100.. and a firmwareupgrade without opening the unit..
Alia Lial
yes
Viviana Tarno
Originally Posted by Ifred
So you wont be able to use the headphone out
I wasn't planning on doing such thing. So with only wanting to link my monitors to it and nothing else, I should be fine?
Melinda Wubben
It is likely that this can be change in the windows registry and possibly by the control panel..
The VCI-400 drivers are still imo in there infancy and I feel that there potential for more to come.
To be honest, multiclient ASIO would be nice (and bloody well expected in this day and age), but for most purposes it's enough if ASIO and WDM can access the sound card simultaneously. As in, ASIO output, WDM input. Thanks for the new info again!
Alia Lial
driver investigation:

I was looking to see If I could tweak the drivers to get 2 outputs with windows. unsuccessfully, but stumble upon something that I read people have been asking:

Shared ASIO.
BARE IN MIND THAT I HAVEN'T TESTED IT YET AND THAT VESTAX LIKELY DISABLED THE FEATURE TO IMPROVE LATENCY OR SMETHINGELSE..
any how, one of the inf parameter allow AsioSharing by default, but is set to disable in the current drivers:
Code:
[_AddReg_Parameters]
; global setting: ASIO multi-client support, 1 for allowed (default), 0 for disabled
;HKR, "Parameters\Settings", "EnableAsioSharing", %REG_DWORD%, 0
It is likely that this can be change in the windows registry and possibly by the control panel..
The VCI-400 drivers are still imo in there infancy and I feel that there potential for more to come.
Alia Lial
I've explained it above..
you will get one VCI-400 devise

One 4.0 devise

Front => Master output
Rear => Headphone

This is rather Inelegant as most application (not all) will not allow you to assign the rear Channel (So you wont be able to use the headphone out)

I would have preferred by far that the VCI-400 showed as two 2.0 devise , as it does on M-audio's controller.

I hope that I can be done and that Vestax's people are reading and getting this.

Cheers
Viviana Tarno
All I want to do is hook it up with my two M-Audio CX8 monitors (preferably by XLR cables as I already have these now) for playing music and movies and stuff. so I guess that should be possible.
A ) Playback:
- the sound card appears as a quadraphonic devise capable of 44,1-96Khz at 16 and 24 bit
What consequences does this give? (as I don't have a clue what it actually means)
Alia Lial
Yesterday you could not use the VCI-400 as a sound card,
as of today you can.

Well it's not optimal and there are some limitation:

A ) Playback:
- the sound card appears as a quadraphonic devise capable of 44,1-96Khz at 16 and 24 bit
- master output (the jack on the rear) is mapped as front channel
- headphone output is mapped as Surround channel

=> current limitation since the headphone is not mapped as stand alone output by windows and mapped as Rear , you wont be able to use it on most software (that is as a sound output, BUT for DJ SOFTWARE IT IS FINE)

B) Recording:
as far as I could briefly test There is one recording devise available and it links to INPUT 1 (line) I do not have my Mic to test the mic input
Recording can be done at a sample rate up 192Khz in 16 Bit (may be in 24bit but my recording software did not support the format)
Viviana Tarno
I was seriously considering buying this unit, but I also plan to use it as external sound card via a Windows pc. As I read so far in this topic, people are having difficulties with the sound card on Windows pcs. Can I use it as an external sound card on a Windows (Vista) pc, or isn't that possible?
For DJing I will be using a MBAir so no driver issues there I guess
Melinda Wubben
Originally Posted by Azu
It behaves as if the Traktor transformed 14bit to 7bit and 14bit supported only in HID.
In Mixvibes Cross i set the choice of 14bit for pitch fader
Could this be a mapping issue? AFAIK, Current versions of Traktor support 14-bit MIDI.
Andra Demin
i use traktor only hehe - to much mapping done already
Alia Lial
just downloaded the mixvibe demo (cross 1.7).
Nudging give non linear response I get .10 (it's not %) nudge easily, some time I get .05 (it's not %)
Andra Demin
does it also happend in s4?
Andra Demin
i have the same problem - anybody know a way around? 8% tempo range, 14 bit faders = +/- 0.2 jumps on vci400 - tempo fader in tractor on fader/knob, direct, invert and no soft takeover

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy