Freeze of my VCI100 controllers

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: Freeze of my VCI100 controllersReply
Freeze of my VCI100 controllers
Posted on: 05.07.2010 by Chante Kalsi
Hi,
I'm using a VCI100 in 1.3.
It's conected on my mac book pro with traktor and an AC adapters is added.
sometimes my controllers were frozen and i need to put the VCI on off to use it once again.
I've done this 10 times last evening during a party....
Do you have an idea?
Thanks
Laurent
Coralee Ekpo
Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti
So I've done some more testing on this, and (I'm not going to stake my name on it though) it seems that as long as the VCI is plugged into the front most usb port on my macbook - the "good" port - I *can't* get it to freeze even with hard-core fader fx use. Previously I had tried in the back port, or in a powered usb hub. I feel lame, as this would be the most obvious solution anyway, but I could have sworn I've gotten freezes without using the hub. Maybe the VCI was plugged into the slower port, and I never realized... That's cool and everything, but now I'm worried about the data throughput to my sound card, which was previously in the front port, but is now hooked up to the usb hub. The reason for the hub is because I use an APC40 as well.

So people, try out your fastest port, direct connect and see what happens. ??
Zac, can you give us a new update on how this has worked out for you since your previous post. I have the same issue where my vci-100 [randomly] freezes but traktor /audio/pc are still in full operation. I can manually turn off the stunned effects with the pc cursor. I have not tried using other ports but will do so and post with results. Thank you Zac

Thanks
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by artak
to Zac Kyoti: i believe your problem is 1.2.6 TPRO bug , try 1.2.4 .

to flashflooder; i got really strange bug. my cue buttons leds.Then press the button , led lights doesn't glow.Traktor is getting midi signal and i can cue channels , just no lights.First time it was happen last year.First right cue button stop to glow , i change it .Its was working just for 1 week, after left cue led is stop glow. i changed left led and it was working great till before i switch from old midi mapping to 3.4.1.After it my left led stop to glow after 1 week , but is really strange its start to work again just for 2 weeks and stop to glow again...Finally last evening right cue led also stop to glow, but sometimes then i use right fader , going up , led starts flashing for few seconds . i believes its hardware problem , maybe with electricity.believeing to change red led.And its the same with sync button , some times its glow blue , sometimes doesn't works...why its happening ? Electricity problems? Bad quality LEDs?
Sorry for the late delay artak but it seems like your led's (hardware) are having issues based on your explanation and not that the tsi or traktor are having problems.

One way to confirm this would be to try your VCI-100 on a different computer and see if it has the same issues or to try another VCI-100 (if you know someone who has one) on your computer. This should clarify where exactly the problem is occurring.
Jodi Lacerra
@Pilmat:
Focusing specifically on Fader FX VCI freezes, what's the word as far as what DJTTs has been able to make of this?

The VCI freezes nearly every time (and only when) using fader fx mode.
It still sends commands, everything works in Traktor. Just the LEDs are frozen/unresponsive.
Traktor audio is NOT affected

And it's driving me crazy. I've noticed this since about TPro 1.2.4, I don't remember VCI freezes before that...
Zac, can you explain a little more specifically what you are doing right in Fader FX before the VCI freezes (unless there is no pattern that you can tell) and which LEDs become unresponsive after?

Also, did you build your custom mapping from scratch or did you alter one of our tsi's (if so, what version)?
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by photojojo
In the controller manager in the drop down box for device mine says VCI-100SE 3.5.2. I believe DJTT have kept it pretty standard as far as what they name them so yours should say something along those lines.
This is true; unfortunately, almost none of the past tsi's have their version number named in the comment section of the mapping. We will make sure to continue to name everything in the future but it may be difficult to distinguish older tsi's from one another without pin pointing some differences in functionality.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by kidEvol

where can i see which tsi iam using?
In the controller manager in the drop down box for device mine says VCI-100SE 3.5.2. I believe DJTT have kept it pretty standard as far as what they name them so yours should say something along those lines.
Reece Murray
So on my Mac, the fast port is apparently towards the front. I've been running the vci in that port without a hub, with my sound card and an APC40 on a hub connected to the other port. It makes me uncomfortable running the sound card on a hub, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.

I don't want to speak too soon, but I don't believe there have been any VCI freezes since putting it solo on the fast port. But I don't guarantee it, I'd like to do a few more weeks of stress testing before I'm confident it WON'T freeze.

How's everyone else doing?
Coralee Ekpo
So I've done some more testing on this, and (I'm not going to stake my name on it though) it seems that as long as the VCI is plugged into the front most usb port on my macbook - the "good" port - I *can't* get it to freeze even with hard-core fader fx use. Previously I had tried in the back port, or in a powered usb hub. I feel lame, as this would be the most obvious solution anyway, but I could have sworn I've gotten freezes without using the hub. Maybe the VCI was plugged into the slower port, and I never realized... That's cool and everything, but now I'm worried about the data throughput to my sound card, which was previously in the front port, but is now hooked up to the usb hub. The reason for the hub is because I use an APC40 as well.

Zac, can you give us a new update on how this has worked out for you since your previous post. I have the same issue where my vci-100 [randomly] freezes but traktor /audio/pc are still in full operation. I can manually turn off the stunned effects with the pc cursor. I have not tried using other ports but will do so and post with results. Thank you Zac

Thanks
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by artak

to flashflooder; i got really strange bug. my cue buttons leds.Then press the button , led lights doesn't glow.Traktor is getting midi signal and i can cue channels , just no lights.First time it was happen last year.First right cue button stop to glow , i change it .Its was working just for 1 week, after left cue led is stop glow. i changed left led and it was working great till before i switch from old midi mapping to 3.4.1.After it my left led stop to glow after 1 week , but is really strange its start to work again just for 2 weeks and stop to glow again...Finally last evening right cue led also stop to glow, but sometimes then i use right fader , going up , led starts flashing for few seconds . i believes its hardware problem , maybe with electricity.believeing to change red led.And its the same with sync button , some times its glow blue , sometimes doesn't works...why its happening ? Electricity problems? Bad quality LEDs?
Sorry for the late delay artak but it seems like your led's (hardware) are having issues based on your explanation and not that the tsi or traktor are having problems.

One way to confirm this would be to try your VCI-100 on a different computer and see if it has the same issues or to try another VCI-100 (if you know someone who has one) on your computer. This should clarify where exactly the problem is occurring.
Meg Reinoehl
Zac,

What if you put your powered hub on the "good" port? Does that make any difference or had you tried that already?
Reece Murray

Thomasine Mailhiot

Reece Murray
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it happens when I use the jog wheel in combination with a channel fader (in fader fx mode). My tsi is custom built from scratch, so I don't believe it's just a problem with the DJTTs map.
Jodi Lacerra
@Pilmat:
Focusing specifically on Fader FX VCI freezes, what's the word as far as what DJTTs has been able to make of this?

It still sends commands, everything works in Traktor. Just the LEDs are frozen/unresponsive.

And it's driving me crazy. I've noticed this since about TPro 1.2.4, I don't remember VCI freezes before that...
Zac, can you explain a little more specifically what you are doing right in Fader FX before the VCI freezes (unless there is no pattern that you can tell) and which LEDs become unresponsive after?

Also, did you build your custom mapping from scratch or did you alter one of our tsi's (if so, what version)?
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by photojojo
This is true; unfortunately, almost none of the past tsi's have their version number named in the comment section of the mapping. We will make sure to continue to name everything in the future but it may be difficult to distinguish older tsi's from one another without pin pointing some differences in functionality.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by kidEvol

Vallie Becknell
okay thank you for answer!
i don`t know what that is or what effect the problem!

Chante Kalsi
Hi Kidevol,

your problem is not the same than mine but maybe the same origin.
On my VCI all freeze not one function (like a bug)

A midi problem (a midi loop) couldn't be the problem?????????
Meg Reinoehl
Zac, try reimporting your .tsi mapping. Sometimes that helps with FX related freezes.
Corine Kasman
Zac, I must embarisingly admit that I am not a big user of Fader FX, so I don't come across the problem.

I'll talk to Chris (flashflooder) about his findings and get back to you soon.

Phil.
Reece Murray
@Pilmat:
Focusing specifically on Fader FX VCI freezes, what's the word as far as what DJTTs has been able to make of this? Just to add to the body of info, here's my setup:
MacBook 2.4 GHz
VCI-100, custom map, incl fader fx type commands
running with APC40
TPro 1.2.6
Ableton Live 8.1.3
Bomes MT
Jack OSX
Latency 5.5ms

Ableton is not affected
APC40 is not affected

Vallie Becknell
hello i don`t know if this is the same problem. but today some buttons of my vci 100 se freeze. i can push the button but there is no response. for example the left sync button works fine but the right button i push traktor received the info and sync but the green light don`t show up. the button stays orange. or the juggle buttons i push and nothing happens. the fx button at the top left works fine but the green light for activated doesn`t show up. i hope you can understand me;-) when i turn the vci 100se off and on the problem is gone. it freezes only a few buttons. that happened today the second time since i use the vci 100 (1 year).

is that the same problem?

here is a video:

[ame]http://vimeo.com/13716355[/ame]

and do you have that extrem problem with the new 3.5.1 tsi file?i don`t want to load the new file in traktor
and have more problems than before?
i have an older tsi file load in traktor but i don`t know which one?
where can i see waht tsi file i loaded?

i hope someone can answer all that questions! thank you very much
Chante Kalsi
last evening 4 freeze for me.... it's boring
how could you mix with a such hight latency?
Thomasine Mailhiot
last evening i adjust 34.5 ms latency , no any drop outs
Thomasine Mailhiot
Hi ! GREAT!
I use echo 2 , my audio latency is 14ms .SOME TIMES I ALSO GET POP OUT JUST FOR MICRO SECONDS ...
Chante Kalsi
Hi Artak,
so i was using last evening traktor 1.2.4 and 2.4 mapping and YES !!!! no bug during the evening ... my vci never froze !!!
Only a problem with traktor... an audio drop...

Could you tell me your audio latency in your preference for your traktor?

Thanks
Thomasine Mailhiot
ok it got the same problems few weeks ago ...
it was happens 2 times ...
1 time - after i turn on/off vci and it continue to work for few minutes...and freeze again ...turn on/off again and work for few minutes and freeze. i delete vestax in midi-audio utilities application , and i restart 2.4 midimaping, restart traktor and computer , and it was working around 25 minutes .after i turn off/on my vci , and finish my set with out any problem. my set up was TRAKTOR 1.2.6 and 2.4 old layout.
Before i was using TPRO 1.2.6 - 2.4 without any problems , im working every evening 2 hours , 12 - 2 prime time in China...
2 time - problem start from the set up beginning , vci was freeze i restart everything computer, traktor , midimapping its starts to work but after it was freeze and i continue my mix from cds, so guys better to have some cds in your dj bag. cd with mix , or few cd with tracks , you can finish you set or just start cd mix and try to find art manager or djs to make dj transition ...its really magic i came back home and everything was working perfect ... i was playing few hours...so finally i decide to make downgrade from 1.2.6 to 1.2.4 .last 2 weeks guys no any problems!
i have 2 ideas :
first,1.2.6 bug.before i was using 1.2.4 with old 2.4 midi-mapping without any crashes.and all my problems starts after i was start using 1.2.6 TPRO.
second, dj booth with many gear like 2 light-mixers , 4 radio microphones , 24 channel mixer can produce a lot off electromagnetic waves and high temperature .My coworkers using serato and 2 guys was crashed in the same day ...?
try to restart traktor , try different midi-mapping , delete and add vestax in audio-midi utilities applications, change usb cables, plug different usb ports...
Chante Kalsi
The freeze problem didn't start after the 1.3 update ... i will try the new TSI mapping and see...
Corine Kasman
@kissbanger

Did the freezing problem start after you installed the 1.3 firmware? Or is it something that started before or long after the update?

Maybe try re-flashing the firmware. I have not heard of it becoming corrupt but it is possible...

Also, please try the new TSI (3.5.2) just to see if there is not a problem with Traktor running the old TSI. I doubt that this is the problem, but lets just confirm.

I spoke to DJTT about this problem (I speak to them about articles for the main page and brought up this issue), and beyond what is suggested above, they are not to sure what it could be.

Phil.
Lane Ylitalo
Yeah I mean, I don't know, but I assume the 2.4 was not built for newer versions of traktor. Maybe just copying the programming fresh into your new traktor build will fix the problem. Or maybe you could just download the older version. Technology is wonderful, but not streamlined and rarely without problems.
Meg Reinoehl
Originally Posted by onelove
No one knows because everyone has unique setups. I mean, you for instance are using an incredibly outdated tsi file, so who knows.
This is something that completely slipped my mind. I know that you (kissbanger) prefer the 2.4 mapping, can you at least try the new 3.5.2 mapping and see if you get the same freezes?
Lane Ylitalo
Originally Posted by kissbanger
no more help???
I'm not sure why you expect it to be honest.

Play around. Update everything, cut down system processes, add paging files to increase ram, get better gear or cables, or maybe it is just the way you are using it. Maybe there is a problem with your usb port, maybe a problem with how your computer threads and responds to commands. Maybe your computer isn't giving out priority properly to background processes such as midi. I'm pc so I don't know. Search the community s, google stuff, look up usb problems on macs and fixes for them. I fixed a lot of my freezes by simply changing vistas shell and threading commands, setting a new partition on my hard drive and stripping the OS down to bare essentials. The more crap you have running, the higher your problem is. Even stupid things such as the ability to connect to and monitor internet connections eats up memory. Turn it all off. Anything you do not need.

No one knows because everyone has unique setups. I mean, you for instance are using an incredibly outdated tsi file, so who knows.
Chante Kalsi
no more help???
Chante Kalsi
SO.....

my Vci froze over 50 times last evening .
Other problem... generaly, when it freeze, I turn the unit off and on again to restore functionality...but,
I tried not to turn the unit of but disconect the USB cable and when i did this, everything froze (computer and vci)...

Don't you believe i could be an usb problem of my VCI?

Thanks
Chante Kalsi
Phil,
nothing seems to be wrong inside... i will test it tomorrow at a party and let you know
Thanks
Corine Kasman
OK, if you've done a firmware update, you should not be afraid to open the unit again. take off the bottom cover and make sure the piece of cardboard that sits on the first circuit board you see is still there. A while ago we helped someone who had this piece move and their unit was acting very strange.

Next make sure all the connections are still good and all the screws are still in place (especially the one connecting that same circuit board to the one under it through the metal post).

If any of these connections is loose or not quite 100%, there can be a sudden power drop in the unit causing a freeze.

Phil.
Chante Kalsi
First, thanks for all your message and your help...

So...,

- I don't use FX
- I use TSI 2.4 because i prefer it than the last one
- It's not a VCI 100 bought to Techtools but updated to 1.3 (black one)
- I tried several USB cables with same problem
- Ever selected Vci from the device list and everything seems ok....

I will throw my vci out and use it to play soccer
Corine Kasman
@kissbanger
Your computer seems fine. But something between it and your VCI is not!

The reason we ask if you notice what makes the VCI freeze, is that some have had a couple of issues with FaderFX mode (it has a LOT of midi data flowing and sometimes hangs the VCI). But if it is not in Fader FX, I'm not sure what it could be.

You say you work with TSI 2.4, is that because you have the V2 overlay? Also, is this a VCI-100 SE with firmware 1.3 (not that it should make a difference for freezing)?

Another source of problem could be the USB cable, have you tried different ones? Try a good quality USB 2.0 cable.

In your Traktor Preferences>Controller Manager, select the VCI from the Device List. Are the In and Out ports set to "Vestax"?

After this, I believe we might have to open up the VCI and see if there is not something going on inside (loose wire, the cardboard on the lowest PCB missing or shifted, etc.).

Get back to us, we want to help but so far you have us stumped.

Phil.
Chante Kalsi
I'm running with a Macbook pro 2,66ghz intel core 2 duo with 4Go of Ram (so not an old model with enough memory)

For My vci, nothing special... i don't scratch... i use only sync, cue, play and the mixage controlers...

What else i could say... it's a randomly problem, it can happened after a few moment or after several hours and each time i put the vci on off before using it once more.

Is there a reset function on the vci ????
Latesha Meushaw
I've just bought my VCI-100 - it's the black version with original firmware (although I've just got my firmware update stuff from DJTT this morning) and the same thing happened to me on Saturday evening . I'm using USB power not an adaptor and the unit froze on several occasions. I had to turn the unit off and on again to restore functionality. The sound from Traktor was unaffected. However on one occasion the whole lot packed up - unit froze / sound stopped and I had to reboot the mac (am using a macbook - not macbook pro).

Very odd as I used it the previous Saturday with no issues and was even watching the world cup on bbc iplayer as I DJ'ed!!!
Meg Reinoehl
kissbanger,

Is there anything that you do that makes the VCI freeze right away? What exactly are you doing before it freezes?

Also, which model MacBook Pro do you have?

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy