Did you Successfully Upgrade your firmware?

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: Did you Successfully Upgrade your firmware?Reply
Did you Successfully Upgrade your firmware?
Posted on: 24.08.2008 by
Let the others know your setup here:

What kind of computer and cable did you use? Any specific steps you found helpful?

Thanks for sharing!
Leeanna Ayla
You can adjust the sensitivity of the touch sensor on the jog. That might be what your problem is or it could be the interaction mode of that setting in the tsi.
Carlos Friscia
Well, i don't like the DJTT TSI at all. I don't want all the fancy effect jogwheel functions and double shift buttons, etc etc.

I remapped the whole thing yesterday to the standard settings. I just don't understand how the jogwheel works. I got it half working. When a track plays and i touch the platter, he stops, but turns on again within 1 second. Very weird.

When i want to copy the DJTT jogwheel settings i am getting crazy, because the functions are all over the place. Doesn't anybody use the vci-100 in a standard way ? Hard to believe that.
Tatum Ansaldo
The DJTT layout is a lot better and more intuitive than the standard one, you just need to get used to it. You could pick up an overlay, or just relabel the buttons to the DJTT functions. In terms of using fw1.2 there's a way of loading the VCI in 1.2 mode without reflashing it, you just have to hold something down while you power it up. Can't remember what it is, but there's a video about it around here somewhere.
Carlos Friscia
How do you mean? Don't understand that.
I just want to use the normal buttons on the standard VCI-100. When i load up the standard Traktor TSI, the jogwheels won't work. So i load up the newest DJTT TSI, but then all the buttons are different.
Leeanna Ayla
Do you have the in out ports selected for the mapping you're trying to use in the controller manager?
Carlos Friscia
double post
Carlos Friscia
Hmm, so i will have to update the firmware again to 1.2 ? Don't want to, to be honest.
The thing is, all the buttons are mapped to other things. I have the classic lay-out, no overlay or something.
Tatum Ansaldo
there's one that comes with traktor, but it'll only work if you start your VCI up in fw 1.2 mode.
Carlos Friscia
Hooray, i got it working right now! I just an old computer with a COM port on it. The bitch started up in 5 minutes, but okay, it works now

The only thing is, i want to have a classic TSI for Traktor. Not the SE version, where can i get it ?
Leeanna Ayla
If it doesn't flash and the VCI is still unresponsive you might try uninstalling renases and starting over. Sometimes I believe the program believes it's in the middle of a failed update and it takes a fresh install to convince it otherwise.
Carlos Friscia
Thnx for your advice. Will try several things toevening . The VCI doesn't respond at all at this moment, so i am a little bit worried. Let's hope it will work again toevening

I can flash the ROM though, so he is not dead, i hope.
Leeanna Ayla
I'm pretty sure what it does is slow down the rate of the date transfer so it would probably work best with a com to com cable since it's a slower cable. I had to do it with my USB to com cable though. Not much you can do about the small cable seeing as that's how the VCI was designed.
Carlos Friscia
No i didn't try that, but i will do today.
Does it also work with com to com cables? i mean, the speed ?

What irritates me, is the fact that i will have to remove the small cable every time again i want to flash.
Leeanna Ayla
did you try adjusting the speed using the fdtadvancedsetup.exe program that installed in the renases folder?

Try changing the delay to 1000 and increasing to 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 from there if it doesn't work.
Carlos Friscia
Didn't work
We flashed the VCI-100 (mixvibes edition). But the VCI won't start up. He stays in "boot mode" i believe.

We used the newest firmware 1.4
Renesas 4.05
WinXP 32bit OS with usb to serial cable
Protection was off in Renesas

Can someone please help me ?

edit : will try a normal com to com serial cable toevening , hope this will solve the problem.
Daria Galdieri
Hello Everyone,

Since I can hardly share my sensation with anyone around me in real life I thought I'd share my experiences with you, this is somehow a double post since I first used the thread 'Firmware 1.4' to post this but I see a lot of struggling and I thought my story could maybe contribute to success of others.

The only 'Windows person' I could find was my father who doesn't live nearby so I made a trip to combine a visit with trying to upgrade my VCI-100 after receiving the kit from DJTT.

I prepared myself by bringing a serial cable (2 times 'male' plug) but after setting up everything (opening up VCI-100 and having my laptop on the side with the instruction video) I discovered that the only port on the Windows computer was 'female' :eek: so I actually needed a different serial cable with one 'female' plug and a 'male' on the other side.
It was too late to buy myself a different cable so I decided to take off the plug and connect the wires (2red/3orange/5green) to the 'female upgrade kit plug' without using a plug at all.

If you examine the upgrade kit closely you will see that only 3 pins are being used, there's a fourth (nr. 8) connected but it was my guess that that one is only soldered to keep the plug steady.
It seems the 'guess' was right because after making sure the wires were connected neatly I pushed the flash button and the upgrading was successful within 30 sec. !!!
The computer runs on Windows 7.

Make sure to take off enough plastic of the wire and make sure to push the wires into the plug deep enough without leaving any copper uncovered so the wires are connected for a 100% and won't touch one another!

So thank you DJTT for making this possible and thank you everyone else for sharing your experiences.

So my conclusion is that you shouldn't try to use anything different than what DJTT is advising you; get a 'ancient' Windows computer with a serial port and get a serial cable, simple as that and if you can't find a good cable then maybe, maybe try this way with just 3 wires.
If you click the ? on top there's an image of the dodgy looking connection, good luck.

MOD EDIT: fixed image link.

Shaquana Wesselhoff
Win 7 x64 and a run of the mill usb to serial controller, got the driver on it from win update had trouble until i actually paid attention to the how to guide :P
its all gone swimmingly now great great firmware
Waylon Domenici
so nobody can advise me on this?
Waylon Domenici
In fact if any of you mac guys could help me out I would be most grateful.

I have a MacBook Pro core 2 duo, running VMware fusion in 10.6.3 running XP SP2. I have a cheap USB-serial cable I got on ebay, couldn't install drivers from the disc as it was too small for the slot-load CD tray. I have tried installing two drivers including the "prolific" drivers as mentioned here, I don't seem to be able to verify if it works. I open device manager and can see COM1, COM2 and something like printer (it's crashed so I have to restart it...ugh).

Which physical USB port should I use on the macbook pro for the serial cable? (2xUSB ports on left of laptop, none on right).

how can I verify if the drivers are installed correctly? should I see it come and go in device manager when I plug/unplug it? does it need to be connected to the VCI when I do this or just to the USB port end?

any help much appreciated.
Waylon Domenici
Originally Posted by alex.ketch
THE CAKE IS NOT A LIE!

I did it. I finally did it. My baby is 1.3 years old now :P I may be the role model of how it was suggested that we don't do this, but I managed to update the VCI using a Mac, VMWare Fusion and a USB to Serial adapter.

I had a lot of headaches along the way but here I am, ready to tell of the things I learnt the hard way so that you don't have to.

Problem 1 (in chronological order): Rensanse Flash Development Kit software doesn't give you an option of selecting the right (or in my case ANY) COM port.

Fix: Ensure you have the right driver. The cable I got along with the upgrade kit I borrowed from Ciar2001 (as the two I was sent were most likely lost in the post due to the damned postal strike) didn't come with a driver. I tried many including the Prolific USB-Serial driver and a bucketload of others but the cable was not being recognized properly. It still gave "Error 10" under the Device Manager in windows (it had a little yellow circle with an exclamation mark). Somehow I stumbled across this file and it fixed it for me, maybe it'll work for you as well.
Download driver here

Problem 2: Finally got it working fine, assigned it to COM port 6, hook everything up run Program Flash but get "Time Out Error 15005" in Renesans Flash Development Kit (FSD from now on)

Fix: I read that you had to put a flow control in place as the USB was too fast for the serial interface etc. So go to C:\Program Files\Renesas\FDT4.02 and run FDTAdvanceSetup, click "Configure Serial Port", tick the box that says "Enable serial port delay fix" and enter 1000 as the delay value then click OK and close it.

Those were the two hinderances I had which may not seem much, but just that driver hunting took me at least 3 hours. But it was worth the trouble for that sweet, sweet, smexy 4th FX button
Some good info but I still can't get mine working. I downloaded the USB-serial driver you linked to but I cant' see a setup/install file in there, only a remove driver. (I am a long time mac user, not that familiar with windows.).

Can you help explain how to actually get that driver installed?

thanks
Leonore Roeth
Originally Posted by deejaygee
wow when are they coming back in stock cant wait (sitting here biteing nails to a bloody stump)
same here. can't wait to upgrade my VCI to something that works properly.
Irvin Welvaert
UPGRADED TONIGHT WITH HOME-MADE PROGRAMMER : ALL OK!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Delfina Lorimor
I ended up using my super old windows xp with service pack 3. Had to tinker with the port settings with my usb-serial but worked flawlessly. Must be my parallels xp
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by RileySmiley
Questions, I tried updating my VCI-100 with 1.4 but during the flashing, I cannot select a "com3" option. There are no "com" options. Help? I am running a macbook 10.6 with parallels in windows. Followed the video and nothing. Thanks
Could be a parallels issue, I'm not sure anybody's actually done it with parallels. Any chance you could do it in bootcamp? I was able to do my firmware upgrade using bootcamp and XP sp3.
Delfina Lorimor
Questions, I tried updating my VCI-100 with 1.4 but during the flashing, I cannot select a "com3" option. There are no "com" options. Help? I am running a macbook 10.6 with parallels in windows. Followed the video and nothing. Thanks
Nadene Arbegast
^^^ totally, I ordered my arcade edition two and a half weeks ago, I'm on pins and needles waiting!! And the irony is, I live in Santa Cruz, CA, which is only an hour drive away from the Techtools offices
Garret Halecki
i have been successful in updating the firmware after lots of issues that other users were using, such as the different ports, having the unit vertical etc. However, my main issue now is the lights come on on the vci but only for about a min then all the led's flash endlessly! Is there something i can do about this as i can't seem to use it anymore!
Leeanna Ayla
Another thing I didn't mention in your other thread is that some people have reported that if the update process gets hung up the firmware will not successfully update until the older process get stopped. In some cases people have had to uninstall and reinstall the Renases software.
Dorsey Cesena
NO..
I got up to the part where i uploaded the new firmware to my VCI-100 but it fails after getting to 10%. I don't understand what i am doing wrong. i followed all of the steps and i am sure its in boot mode because it doesn't light up. I am using a USB to serial cable
Chantal Harabedian
"it took about a week to arrive in the UK"
you lucky!!!
happy for you that it works
Lizeth Jaya
VCI-100 1.2 to 1.4 using Serial to USB cable.

Had a ton of problems that most users experienced until I tried it with the unit verical. Then it worked no problem
Chin Lezama
Originally Posted by dnbaddict
I fixed it! Stange things happen sometimes...

Photojojo: I tried your recommendation with the advancedsetup. Changed the delay to 1000 - still the same problem. Then I played with some values, increasing and decreasing incrementally - for almost half an hour. But, unfortunately to no avail. Then I noticed that the green message (which I always saw only for a tenth of a second every time) does not say "upgrade successful", but instead: "connection successful". Briefly after, Renasas just crashed each and every time.

Out of pure desparation I went for one more try, choosing COM3 (although I knew that I was on COM1 and COM3 could not possibly work since it is used by Bluetooth on my machine). As expected, the connection wasn't successful. Still eager to succeed, I switched it back to COM1 and...it worked. Mysteriously.

I can only speculate: maybe the software needed one "complete" (yet not successful) run via COM3 to end one run regularly (without abnormal termination). Then, the system was apparently ready to grant me a successful run with COM1.

w00t! And thanks both of you for the support.
Good work mate.

Thought I'd bricked my VCI after exactly the same thing happened to me with the Renesas software crashing (Windows 7 32bit) straight after the green 'connection successful message', and then couldn't the VCI to work at all.

Glad I found your post after much searching of this community - I tried the COM3 thing then back to COM6 where I actually had the USB-Serial cable connected and it worked!

Don't believe I would ever have thought to try that so thanks!
Arnoldo Amlong
I bought the full kit from the Tech tools shop, it took about a week to arrive in the UK. I had to ask around as my old PC buried in the attic has Linux which I forgot but I eventually got an old toshiba protege running XP with a serial pot. Now I'm no tech wizard but I followed the Youtube video to the letter The main problem was getting the damn connect out with my finger but a small pair of grippers did the trick. Any, as I said I follwed the video to the letter but it took me 3 goes. Why 3? Well the first time the chip wasn't seat right, the secoond the cable was loose but the third was just like the video. Now I have an amazing piece of kit that I intend to learn. A big THANKS to all you help and advce not only on the upgrade but also on the help with seeting up Traktor when I first joined.
Brock Zarcone
Originally Posted by photojojo
yep, it was just released. Don't worry it's free.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=122500
FREE to use PAYING customers.
Leeanna Ayla
yep, it was just released. Don't worry it's free.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=122500
Brock Zarcone
Great, don't forget to update Traktor to 1.2.7 that was released yesterday.

Really another update? Hmmm will have to check.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by R3clu23
Didn't have one problem with the update of my VCI.

I had to order a Sabrent USB to Serial cable. Installed the drivers from the
cd-rom.

Installed the Flash utility, configured, loaded my FW and updated.
Didn't have any problems.

Fired up Traktor 1.26 imported the new TSI file and was good to go.
Now I just need to learn the controllers layout.
Great, don't forget to update Traktor to 1.2.7 that was released yesterday.
Brock Zarcone
Didn't have one problem with the update of my VCI.

I had to order a Sabrent USB to Serial cable. Installed the drivers from the
cd-rom.

Installed the Flash utility, configured, loaded my FW and updated.
Didn't have any problems.

Fired up Traktor 1.26 imported the new TSI file and was good to go.
Now I just need to learn the controllers layout.
Leeanna Ayla
They should be there any day if they're not there now. It's possible that the store page hasn't been updated due to the frenzy of getting S4's out.
Freeda Chinnis
Nope
Is there any information when there are more chips coming to Dj TT Shop?

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy