Midi fighter with innofader

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Midi fighter with innofaderReply
Midi fighter with innofader
Posted on: 09.06.2010 by Mohamed Grew
Is this possible?

Everything I have read has talked about using alps faders.

Very interested in the possibility of creating a midifighter scratch mixer for TSpro
Sherley Villanueba
IMG_0643.jpg

http://www.innofader.com/installations.php?id=5&pid=2

http://www.innofader.com/installations.php?id=6&pid=2

maybe someone can take a look at this - i already read this: http://www.djranking s.com/2010/02/0...n-midi-crisis/ and yes i am a dummie in merge electronic parts (got a case from a old mixer fits them all) but if i know wich parts to connect i believe i might be able ...

(the urei pin cooldoktor used is j 43 on this board but looks different) greetz
Len Lukawski
Originally Posted by djproben

oh yeah and for the cut in mod, if you use a credit card or whatever I just covered it with duct tape to get rid of the click... works fine. I don't believe lube is gonna do much for the stiffness of the MFPro faders though.
Can attest that the lube does little with the stiffness of the fader.

On a related subject, can someone tell me the orientation of the ribbon cable? I have the red stripe currently aligned on the bottom with the GRND but am not prepared to switch the unit back on until I am sure. Should have taken photos - schoolboy error!

Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by oneapemob
Or do it like dj dab did to his set up : http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...9123#post79123
hahah... I've looked at those pics a dozen times and never noticed the innofader before. Nice one.

The one thing to watch out for opening the box is the soldered button, but you might not have to worry about that to install a fader anyway. I would just look for the alps fader that's in the VCI-100; that thing is just fine for scratching and it will fit easily in the midifighter box. But if you really have to have the innofader, that strapon mod looks like a good bet -- you keep the stability provided by the midifighter box and you don't have to worry about making a whole extra midi controller for the crossfader.

oh yeah and for the cut in mod, if you use a credit card or whatever I just covered it with duct tape to get rid of the click... works fine. I don't believe lube is gonna do much for the stiffness of the MFPro faders though.
Len Lukawski
What i'm trying to say is, if you'r not going to put an inno inside, what you already have is top of the line fader ( if the electronic part of this works ), is to make a new box for it.
The fader may be top of the line but it's not right for scratching. The s4 fader is far better and that's probably a good ways off being ideal itself. HOWEVER, I am going to pick up some lube today and see if that makes much of a difference.The cut in points are also a problem so I will see what I can do there too.

If I can get the performance I need that I am happy sticking with what's already there. If I can't then I agree, it's time to start looking at doing something with the case. I am not keen on building a new case from scratch am am wondering if it's possible to create some kind of rim that provide the additional mm for the Innofader. I haven't taken my MF PRO apart yet so I could be talking out the back of my head with this idea. On that subject, i see the four screws under each of the feet, is there anything else to deal with?
Sherley Villanueba
I believe i go with the j16 Pin..
Sherley Villanueba
IMG_0643.jpg

http://www.innofader.com/installations.php?id=5&pid=2

http://www.innofader.com/installations.php?id=6&pid=2

maybe someone can take a look at this - i already read this: http://www.djranking s.com/2010/02/0...n-midi-crisis/ and yes i am a dummie in merge electronic parts (got a case from a old mixer fits them all) but if i know wich parts to connect i believe i might be able ...

(the urei pin cooldoktor used is j 43 on this board but looks different) greetz
Len Lukawski
I believe I might be able to get them.
Adolf Hit
I have a midi-fader here (the controller version of the innofader)

It is exactly the same shape as the faders we currently use however it is missing the pins which solder to the PCB and provide the mechanical mounting. It could be definitely be made to work, but from my understanding for now the midi-faders are only available to OEMs

The only way to get a standard innofader in there would be to remove the other pots and faders and then use the innobender - not an easy task as it would require a fair amount of case modification.
Sherley Villanueba
Hello,

I have a inno but different Adapter boards.. Maybe i can use another Pin?
Len Lukawski
In an ideal non-warrantied world - what could be taken out of the Pro to make room for an innofader should the extra depth be found using spacers?
Adolf Hit
Nice!
Unfortunately there simply is not enough space for a innofader in the MF pro
Lilliana Perris
*Crying.....want my Innofader to arrive already*
Len Lukawski
Elliot mentioned your work just last evening . I have lots of questions but no time right now except to say Well Done!
Danial Selkowitz
Ok. I found a couple height extenders, and now everything fits in the little MF box. This hack was pretty easy, and the Innofader is SO much better than the one my MF came with.

sorry about the huge images..
Len Lukawski
Originally Posted by djproben

Can attest that the lube does little with the stiffness of the fader.

On a related subject, can someone tell me the orientation of the ribbon cable? I have the red stripe currently aligned on the bottom with the GRND but am not prepared to switch the unit back on until I am sure. Should have taken photos - schoolboy error!

Danae Dumler
Or do it like dj dab did to his set up : http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...9123#post79123
hahah... I've looked at those pics a dozen times and never noticed the innofader before. Nice one.

The one thing to watch out for opening the box is the soldered button, but you might not have to worry about that to install a fader anyway. I would just look for the alps fader that's in the VCI-100; that thing is just fine for scratching and it will fit easily in the midifighter box. But if you really have to have the innofader, that strapon mod looks like a good bet -- you keep the stability provided by the midifighter box and you don't have to worry about making a whole extra midi controller for the crossfader.

Bertie Metro
What you could do is have those 3 cables from the inno board connected to a stereo jack female receiver ( don't know the exact name ). Have the relevant 3 cables on the midifighter connected to another, then you could just plug your inno with a stereo male-male jack cable. But you'd need a stable enclosure to "take the beating" of scratching.
Danial Selkowitz
you could do that, but why not use one of the analog inputs on the MF, it's there anyway..
Len Lukawski
Almost at a point of just wanting an enclosure for the Innofader with a midi cable so it can be plugged in as an independent midi controller. That possible?
Danial Selkowitz
I just want to say that I managed to install an Innofader in my Midifighter Pro and it works.
It doesn't fit in the case though as others have mentioned, so I need to extend it's height a bit somehow. Also it would be nice to make a new faceplate with less screws around the fader.
If anybody is interested in this "mod" here's what I did:
Set the Innofader to "line fader mode" and remember to remove the small bumper in bottom right corner.
Connect the MidiFighter to the Innofader using the UREI plug like this.
Bertie Metro
I have no hands on with the midi fighter pro, so i cannot comment on its feeling

But yes with some lube, it should feel a bit better for sure, i'd advise you to also buy some compressed air for cleaning, because the lube will attract more dirt.

As for the cut in lag, i'm afraid that the credit card mod is the best answer, because if even by tweaking the midi it doesnt cut right in, then there isn't a lot of options.
Concerning the credit card mod, there is a variant of it, instead of getting a metallic/plastic "clang" when it hits, you get a softer "thud".
Try and get your hands on a rolling cigarette small filter, you can cut it in half and it usually has the right size for the crossfader slot. If the cut in is like 2 or 3 mm it works quite well then just trim what is protruding and you'r good to go ( just be careful as to not lose it inside the crossfader case, because then you'll be good to buy a new one, use at your own risks ).

Cheers
Len Lukawski
What i'm trying to say is, if you'r not going to put an inno inside, what you already have is top of the line fader ( if the electronic part of this works ), is to make a new box for it.
The fader may be top of the line but it's not right for scratching. The s4 fader is far better and that's probably a good ways off being ideal itself. HOWEVER, I am going to pick up some lube today and see if that makes much of a difference.The cut in points are also a problem so I will see what I can do there too.

If I can get the performance I need that I am happy sticking with what's already there. If I can't then I agree, it's time to start looking at doing something with the case. I am not keen on building a new case from scratch am am wondering if it's possible to create some kind of rim that provide the additional mm for the Innofader. I haven't taken my MF PRO apart yet so I could be talking out the back of my head with this idea. On that subject, i see the four screws under each of the feet, is there anything else to deal with?
Adriana Bazzelle
Maybe i'm wrong but i kinda remember a picture of the midifighter pro's parts, or reading about it, and i believe the crossfader used inside is a bourns fader 45 mm, but it's the best type of bourns faders (pte type), a fader that is used inside the ecler nuo 2.0 for example, and that is evening impossible to buy as parts anywhere (for the 45 mm, the minimun requirement is in the 100's of faders).

http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/PTE.pdf
http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/PTF.pdf

What i'm trying to say is, if you'r not going to put an inno inside, what you already have is top of the line fader
The only solution ( if the electronic part of this works ), is to make a new box for it.
I agree. New box it is, now onto assembly. Any ideas where to start to connect to what based on what values with the innofader?
Bertie Metro
Maybe i'm wrong but i kinda remember a picture of the midifighter pro's parts, or reading about it, and i believe the crossfader used inside is a bourns fader 45 mm, but it's the best type of bourns faders (pte type), a fader that is used inside the ecler nuo 2.0 for example, and that is evening impossible to buy as parts anywhere (for the 45 mm, the minimun requirement is in the 100's of faders).

http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/PTE.pdf
http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/PTF.pdf

What i'm trying to say is, if you'r not going to put an inno inside, what you already have is top of the line fader
The only solution ( if the electronic part of this works ), is to make a new box for it.
Danae Dumler
I don't know about a rubber bumper, but I modified a few faders to shorten the cut-in with a really simple ghetto mod ... some duct tape and a piece of hard plastic; tape it down over the box so the plastic gives you the bumper you need. Worked great on my DDM4000.

You could also look into other faders, there are cheaper and smaller ones that would work fine (like the crossfader in the VCI-100, which I believe is just fine for scratching). I believe those are Alps faders. There's also the pro x fader but I don't know anything about its size.
Adriana Bazzelle
You could always make a custom box, how about the internals?
Will the Innofader actually work with the analog control side of the new
Midifighter Pro?
Len Lukawski
So, it's a no go using the Innofader/bender with the MF Pro. I got the Measurements direct from Mitch at DJTT and Elliot at Audio Innovate came back with this:

"Unfortunately the 11mm gap between the PCB and the top of the case is going to make it impossible to fit even a mini-Innofader into such a tight space. The Innofader body is 13mm thick plus there's pins sticking out an extra 2 mm which could be trimmed down slightly in a pinch. The mini-Innofader we're working on will require about 15mm of depth."

This is a real bummer as the MF Pro faders are lacking in two different areas when it comes to being used from scratching.

1. The x-fader needs to travel a couple of mm before it starts cutting in the sound from the other channel. This is irrelevant if you are using them for effects/volume etc but makes a huge difference with scratching. I have tried all the possible midi settings but at this point I believe it is just the way the fader is built.

2. The fader is not "buttery" enough for scratching.

I am wondering if I can install a small rubber bumper at each end of the fader to effectively shorten the fader to the point were the it "starts".

Also wondering if there is any kind of lube that might give the fader some additional butter-like slidility (Chrome believes that's not a word for some reason) in order to make it better from scratching...

Thoughts???
Len Lukawski
Roger Wilco.
Adriana Bazzelle
I can't wait to hear what you guys come up with.
I have everything to get started.
Keep us posted.
Len Lukawski
Chaps,

I am looking at doing this too and also writing this up as an article. I have already been in touch with Elliot (who I can confirm IS a God) and plan on reconnecting with him later next week once my MF Pro arrives and I have had time to provide him with some more information. I will let you know what I find out if that's helpful.
Quincy Rostran
My advice? E-mail [email protected] before attempting this. You don't want to fry your MIDI Fighter / Innofader while doing this.
Danial Selkowitz
I'm trying to hook it up using the UREI connection because they use normal potentiometers like the alpha I had in my custom Midifighter.
The thing is I can't figure out what to connect with what on the connector board. I'm assuming there should be power, ground and signal.

This is the connector board that shows the UREI connection..
Quincy Rostran
If Elliot told you that, then it's true. Go by what he says, as he's the engineer. He's doing all kinds of wacky measurements and adjustments and mods all the time - he lives for that stuff. I'm the sales guy, who basically just knows what he told me.
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by Punky
No space in the APC40. But it should rock in your Xone.
Hey Punky!

I spoke to Elliot a while back and he says if I can give him the exact angle the Innofader will lie, if on its side in the APC40, that an extension can be made like the Innobender.

You believe it can't work?

Also, its just a matter of the fader sticking out through the fader replacement hole, surely you could stabilize it if you had the whole device in a case?

Or are you saying it won't fit electronically?
Quincy Rostran
No space in the APC40. But it should rock in your Xone.
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
could you just have it poking out the bottom if you secured it properly?
If you made a new cover to replace the old Fader cover at the bottom of the device, it could work. Would need to be in a case though.

Or, the InnoBender!

I am still waiting for my Innofader to arrive. Juno stuffed up the delivery and it was shipped on the 24th of Sept. Its going to go in my Xone:22 though, but I am sure I will try it in my APC80....just to see if it works. If it does, I am going to either get another one or swap it out between the devices when needed I guess.

HANGING for it!
Danial Selkowitz
hmm yeah ok, I have one of the first Innofaders. It seems like it would connect, since it's compatible with the Urei mixers, and they use Alpha's which is what's in the Midi Fighter aswell.
I just con't figure out how to connect it..
Myriam Goulart
Originally Posted by Punky
I don't know for sure. I haven't measured it. Another major constraint is whether the crossfader circuit is VCA or not.
the new "bent" innofaders should fit ???
Danial Selkowitz
bump.
I have an Innofader and a midifighter. Very interested in this mod.
Quincy Rostran
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
could you just have it poking out the bottom if you secured it properly?
I don't know for sure. I haven't measured it. Another major constraint is whether the crossfader circuit is VCA or not.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy