What do you not like about your midi fighter?

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: What do you not like about your midi fighter?Reply
What do you not like about your midi fighter?
Posted on: 12.01.2011 by Rosita Bourdeaux
I AM NOT TRYING TO BASH ON THE MIDI FIGHTER!!

Im looking into getting one of these controllers mostly because their so friggin awesome but also to use in my traktor set up. My question is mostly aimed at the traktor users but anyone can chime in if you like.

So what are your main complaints about your midi fighter? Your answers will help me narrow down what else i would need to use this bad boy in my set up.

Thanks in advance!!
Ella Rick
Originally Posted by D-Kem
Love my 2....but
import tax is a killer for us UK customers.
Mine have stopped working and sending them back is gonna be a evening mare!!
Shit!
That's not good, how long you had them for?
what batch did they come from (mrk 1.2)?
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Originally Posted by willinfluence
Hi,

There is a supplier in the UK that deals in the arcade buttons,
don't know if it would help keep the cost down, still to work it out.

Still handy tho, if you want to change the look of your fighter
and they come in mixed colours as well!! (The option to choose case colour and button colour)

When I bought my Midi Fighter I had to pay
Ella Rick
Originally Posted by notshy
I agree with a lot of the comments above

• It's brilliant!
  • More transport would be good
  • Maybe some practical help for people wanting to modd them - I.e. what have you guys learnt through building all of the advanced midifighters that could help everyone?
  • Ideas of some stockists to get make your own customising kit - maybe some outside of US for some of us. I'm in the UK
  • Do you believe you could set up some kind of deal with a plastic manufacturer who we could order from direct who has a set of templates for some advanced MF action? Could you guys get a small commission direct from them ? I.e. I'd like to buy from a local supplier but maybe obviously if the DJ TT team have put hard work into designing boxes and face plates then they should get some reward too.

I believe this is a bit of a big ask and maybe I should just find my own supplier and then let everyone else know about it?
Hi,

and they come in mixed colours as well!! (The option to choose case colour and button colour)

Evangeline Abraha
More Tactile led-feedback would be great. : )))))

Is there anything that can be done on the firmware or is more to do with programming of the midi-out-messages on host software?

Or bit of both ? ; )

Originally Posted by Fatlimey
I want to add more intelligent LED-based feedback, with the goal of making a two-MF setup a completely "heads up" system. No need to look at the laptop except to load tracks, and even then not necessary if you've got a set playlist.

We might soon have something in the works towards that goal...

I'm also firmly on the side of "creative constraints" - by forcing you to forgo a lot of controls you get forced to use the ones you have in new ways.

And file management on the DJ Controllers is utterly shit and needs some innovation.
Sharyn Prado
I want to add more intelligent LED-based feedback, with the goal of making a two-MF setup a completely "heads up" system. No need to look at the laptop except to load tracks, and even then not necessary if you've got a set playlist.

I'm also firmly on the side of "creative constraints" - by forcing you to forgo a lot of controls you get forced to use the ones you have in new ways.

And file management on the DJ Controllers is utterly shit and needs some innovation.
Amen

I still cant get the loop lights working on both MF's they work on the 1st but the second doesnt stay on when you activate the loop, Im plugged directly into the 2 usb ports on my macbook, no one seems to have an answer for this. Any suggestions?

I would also replace the sampler mode to maybe a gater mode, I have tried and failed, its a bit tough getting to the bottom of all the modifiers on the deckalized mapping. This would suit my DJ style a lot more since I tend to play house and electro.

Also having to assign midi fighters every time you start up is time consuming, I wish that they would just stay assigned to deck a and b.

Im sticking with it though, MF's rock ;D
Danae Dumler
This! Yes I'm looking forward to what you come up with here; would be very cool to have better ways of browsing and choosing tracks.
Originally Posted by BlackJesus
The only flaw I see is that I wouldnt be able to load up tracks without a mouse. For those of you who are using it, how do you prefer to load up songs on your decks?
With my VCI-100 I do like the creative constraints idea, but I also like the idea of having another mapping that doesn't try to do everything. Once the S4 software filters down to the rest of us, I might work on one that focuses on the sampler and the new loop controls.
Rosita Bourdeaux
Wow allot has changed since this thread started. Gonna go ahead and give it a little bump
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Thanks mate, so do i
Great bits of kit and feeling bare already.
Ella Rick
I hope it's fixable without having to send them back,
that would suck.
Lauretta Ehrhorn
I'm hoping it's a firmware issue that Limey can sort. I've tried every method to reflash but nowt is working. Both went at the same time. Hoping it wasn't a surge that's fried the boards. Bought one in july 09 and one when they went back on sale in 2010 approx 7 months ago.
Ella Rick
Originally Posted by D-Kem
Love my 2....but
Shit!
That's not good, how long you had them for?
what batch did they come from (mrk 1.2)?
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Love my 2....but
Vernie Beharry
This is only my own fault for not knowing too much electronics. . .but

1) Limited expandability
- for people like me, I'd want more buttons and faders/knobs, being so limited makes it near impossible for someone who's pretty limited with the knowledge for multiplexors and such for this. . .as well as coding :eek:

2) and probably a VU meter. . .
Line of text for FX/Volume or whatever you can imagine. . .but then again, this is my own fault for not being "in the know".

That's it! . . otherwise, I'd purchase 2 and start creating my dream of deckalized MF's with knobs extra buttons, knobs, faders, and LED/LCD screens for SSL.
Ella Rick
Yeah start a thread and see what happens.

As for a supplier it could become pretty pricey
unless it's a bulk order, I would of thought.
Who knows?
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Originally Posted by willinfluence
Hi,

Ella Rick
Originally Posted by notshy

• It's brilliant!
  • Maybe some practical help for people wanting to modd them - I.e. what have you guys learnt through building all of the advanced midifighters that could help everyone?
  • Ideas of some stockists to get make your own customising kit - maybe some outside of US for some of us. I'm in the UK
  • Do you believe you could set up some kind of deal with a plastic manufacturer who we could order from direct who has a set of templates for some advanced MF action? Could you guys get a small commission direct from them ? I.e. I'd like to buy from a local supplier but maybe obviously if the DJ TT team have put hard work into designing boxes and face plates then they should get some reward too.

I believe this is a bit of a big ask and maybe I should just find my own supplier and then let everyone else know about it?
Hi,

Lorelei Przybylowicz

• It's brilliant!

Tatum Ansaldo
I don't like the fact that having ordered it yesterday I have to wait a couple of weeks before it arrives!
Evangeline Abraha
More Tactile led-feedback would be great. : )))))

Is there anything that can be done on the firmware or is more to do with programming of the midi-out-messages on host software?

Or bit of both ? ; )

Sharyn Prado

Amen

I still cant get the loop lights working on both MF's they work on the 1st but the second doesnt stay on when you activate the loop, Im plugged directly into the 2 usb ports on my macbook, no one seems to have an answer for this. Any suggestions?

I would also replace the sampler mode to maybe a gater mode, I have tried and failed, its a bit tough getting to the bottom of all the modifiers on the deckalized mapping. This would suit my DJ style a lot more since I tend to play house and electro.

Also having to assign midi fighters every time you start up is time consuming, I wish that they would just stay assigned to deck a and b.

Im sticking with it though, MF's rock ;D
Deanne Baston
well so far i have no complaints!!! just that i can't wait to have a second. I have a numark total control and i love the file browsing ability of the TC. it allows you to easily jump through files and i'm using stormeagle's mapping now but i'm working on a mapping of my own.
Danae Dumler
This! Yes I'm looking forward to what you come up with here; would be very cool to have better ways of browsing and choosing tracks.
The only flaw I see is that I wouldnt be able to load up tracks without a mouse. For those of you who are using it, how do you prefer to load up songs on your decks?
With my VCI-100 I do like the creative constraints idea, but I also like the idea of having another mapping that doesn't try to do everything. Once the S4 software filters down to the rest of us, I might work on one that focuses on the sampler and the new loop controls.
Rosita Bourdeaux
Just read up on the focused mapping. The only flaw I see is that I wouldnt be able to load up tracks without a mouse. For those of you who are using it, how do you prefer to load up songs on your decks?
robert chanda

Danae Dumler
Ok so i looked again at the deckalized mapping vid and holy $&^% thats awesome. My only question is am i going to have to buy 4 midi fighters to use 4 decks in traktor or can i have each MF toggle between 2 decks?
There are a few different versions of the mapping; if you have 1 midifighter you can toggle between A-B (I don't believe there's a C-D one but I could be wrong). There's another one that toggles between A-B-C-D with one midifighter.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by djproben
Easier solution - quit watching TV and dance!
Not sure there's going to be much dancing to what he's banging out. :eek: Doesn't matter, thanks to a little bit of left over AC filter I just finished silencing my MF.
Rosita Bourdeaux
Ok so i looked again at the deckalized mapping vid and holy $&^% thats awesome. My only question is am i going to have to buy 4 midi fighters to use 4 decks in traktor or can i have each MF toggle between 2 decks?
Danae Dumler
Easier solution - quit watching TV and dance!
Random X
Tell your son to tap lighter for the time being.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by Tekki
Still need to look into that one, but judging how easy it is to remove the caps from the buttons as shown in your vid, it shouldn't be too hard to add this padding.

(But I don't mind the noise from the buttons tbh)
I hooked it up to Garage Band last evening and my son was banging away on it while everybody was watching TV. They kept telling him to tap lighter. I believe I'll have to do the padding pretty soon.
Random X
Still need to look into that one, but judging how easy it is to remove the caps from the buttons as shown in your vid, it shouldn't be too hard to add this padding.

(But I don't mind the noise from the buttons tbh)
Leeanna Ayla
If there is anything I don't like it's the fact that the buttons are loud, but that's easily fixable with some padding inside the buttons.
Manda Hannegan
Originally Posted by Porkie
I believe you should create DIY kits for adding knobs and sliders and additional face plates to go with.
I would have to second that. I love both of my Midi Fighters. I got my first one about a year ago with red lights and ordered a second one that has blue a few months ago. Loving the deckalized mapping and I'm surprised at how it has so much functionality for such a simple device.

I would like to do some upgrades and add some super faders and knobs but I'm pretty anal about any mods having a polished look to it. I don't really have the patience to build my own face plates so if DJTT released some DIY kits I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. Personally I want the one Ean demoed with the dual faders.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by Porkie
I believe you should create DIY kits for adding knobs and sliders and additional face plates to go with.
This.
Karma Lucha
That I wasnt able to plug it in, boot up a game and start changing the keyboard controls in the game to use on the midi fighter
Carlee Pickard
The thing I hate most about it, is that the one I played with was not mine. It's obnoxiously awesome. I'll be (hopefully) picking one up soon.

This however is a great thread, just so we can see what problems people have had - since I never hear anything bad about them, ever.
Ella Rick
Hi,

The only thing I did'nt like was that I had to flash my Midi Fighter (MRK 1.2) when i got it, which was a bit of a pain in the ass.

I don't know if this problem is only with the self builds or not,
after I built it (which was fun!) and flashed the Midi Fighter.

It was awesome!!!!
I love the look, the buttons and the way it works,
I can't leave it alone..hahaha.
Keli Vandenbergh
Originally Posted by midifidler
Fire away guys - its nice to get some constructive criticism on what we could do better.
Danae Dumler
What I hate most about the MIDI Fighter: that I only own 3 of them.

Seriously, the thing is awesome. Arcade buttons are like the weather in LA: the midifighter could be plagued by riots, fires, terrible traffic gridlock, gang warfare, smog, and earthquakes, but we'd still totally love it because of those damn buttons. Sometimes I play with the buttons even when the thing isn't even plugged in. Just walking by it in the lab I want to smash the buttons...

To answer your question, yes you can use it as a complete controller solution, but you will be spread thin; ultimately you'll want knobs and/or sliders too. But with the "deckalized" mapping you have all your basic transport commands along with some great effects and juggling capabilities. And you have the sync button of course along with your basic pitch up and down buttons. Check out the mapping here and see if this will work for you -- http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=14435
Rosita Bourdeaux
Im very interested in this controller because of how completely compact it is.... and the buttons are an awesome idea. Ive been interested in fixin up a minimalist rig to take with me on the go.

So would you say that a midi fighter could be a complete controller solution (besides a mixer) to utilize all the features in traktor? I vaguely remember someone mentioning something about a problem getting their tracks perfectly in phase or something.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy