Kontrol S2 + Audio 8 DJ + 2 Turntables: Need help figuring that one out!

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Kontrol S2 + Audio 8 DJ + 2 Turntables: Need help figuring that one out!Reply
Kontrol S2 + Audio 8 DJ + 2 Turntables: Need help figuring that one out!
Posted on: 13.02.2013 by Jorge Furber
Hi guys,

I've been working on upgrading my setup from an S2 to turntables. My goal is to be able to use my turntables with my S2 as a mixer. So I decided to buy an Audio 8 DJ, second hand. I know I'm not the first one going through this but all the topics I've found are vague. So here are my specific questions:

1. How do I connect everything? I'm assuming both USB in the computer (dah), then my 2 TT in 2 different inputs, then my mixer in an output of the sound card (I don't want to mix with the mixer, it is just there so I can plug in an iPod in case something else stops working and is connected to my amp). Does that make sense?

2. I have Traktor Pro 2.6.0 and I have Traktor Scratch that is included with the soundcard. I'm waiting for NI to make my serial number available (it should be done by tomorrow). I installed the CD that was included (driver and software) but nothing has changed. My service center looks like this right now, is it right: Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 2.06.58 PM.jpg

3. Is this setup gonna work? Stupid question but I'd like to know now.
Jorge Furber
Hi guys,

I've been working on upgrading my setup from an S2 to turntables. My goal is to be able to use my turntables with my S2 as a mixer. So I decided to buy an Audio 8 DJ, second hand. I know I'm not the first one going through this but all the topics I've found are vague. So here are my specific questions:

1. How do I connect everything? I'm assuming both USB in the computer (dah), then my 2 TT in 2 different inputs, then my mixer in an output of the sound card (I don't want to mix with the mixer, it is just there so I can plug in an iPod in case something else stops working and is connected to my amp). Does that make sense?

2. I have Traktor Pro 2.6.0 and I have Traktor Scratch that is included with the soundcard. I'm waiting for NI to make my serial number available (it should be done by tomorrow). I installed the CD that was included (driver and software) but nothing has changed. My service center looks like this right now, is it right: Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 2.06.58 PM.jpg

3. Is this setup gonna work? Stupid question but I'd like to know now.
Jorge Furber
Figured it out. Thanks for the help. Traktor Scratch Pro starts recognizing the S2 at version 2.1.2 (or something like this). Because I wash't able to register my software (serial got released this morning), I didn't seem to be able to update it. Gotta love buying second hand. So everything looks fine now and seems to work!
Alphonso Deitchman
For 1.2.2 and 2.0.1 you will need to put your S2 into MIDI mode and create a custom MIDI mapping from scratch. Or find a mapping someone else has created.
Jorge Furber
Traktor Pro 2.6 sees my S2, no problem here. It always did. My question is about Traktor Scratch Pro 1.2.2 and 2.0.1. None of those versions recognize my S2. My drivers are all installed and up to date. I've been trying to map my S2 manually but there's still nothing happening.
Alphonso Deitchman
You'll need to install the S2 drivers, then reboot. Your S2 should work straight away in Traktor 2.6 after that.
Jorge Furber
Found the app, my computer installed in some weird place not related to Applications, who knows why. Now how do I make it recognize my S2?
Alphonso Deitchman
There's no program called "Traktor Scratch". If you have TP2 and TSP1 installed, you should see two different programs called Traktor.
Jorge Furber
It creates a Native Instrument folder. In it, I have all my drivers and programs. Nothing about Traktor Scratch though...
Alphonso Deitchman
Traktor 2 is completely independant of all previous versions. Have you checked the Native Instruments folder for your Traktor install?
I don't believe any Traktor apps get installed directly to the Applications folder.
Jorge Furber
Another question. Because I have a version of TP2 on my computer, is it possible that TSP1 will simply integrate itself to TP2? Every time I install the program, there's nothing new in my Applications Folder...
Jorge Furber
1. Perfect, that's what I thought. Thanks a lot.

2-3. SP2 is kinda out of the budget for now. I have a license of SP1, I'm just waiting for the guy who sold it to me to get the final answer from NI and I'll be good to go. I'm using a custom mapping for my S2 already (one that let me control 4 decks). Will that mapping work?
Alphonso Deitchman
1. Use the Audio 8 for all your sound routing. You won't be able to use the S2 for audio at all.
The turntables go into the Phono inputs of the A8 (1/2 + 3/4 I believe), set mixing mode to Internal, and then choose a channel each for your Master and Monitor outs.

2+3. You won't be able to use your turntables in Traktor Pro 2, only in Traktor Scratch Pro (or Scratch Pro 2 if you upgrade to it).
You'll have to map your S2 manually to use it in Traktor Scratch 1.x.x and use it in MIDI mode. I'd upgrade to Scratch Pro 2 if you can for better integration, and sell on your 'Pro 2' license.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy