Kontrol S2 outputs are not loud at all

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Kontrol S2 outputs are not loud at allReply
Kontrol S2 outputs are not loud at all
Posted on: 27.07.2012 by Darlene Strohbeck
Anyone else notice this?

I did my first gig with powered speakers plugged directly into the balanced outputs of the S2, and I had both the speakers and master volume cranked all the way in a room with 28 people (the room had about 4 tables, and wasn't very big at all). I had two Yorkville NX55P's (anyone that knows these speakers knows they're no slouch), 1 for a main, and 1 for a monitor and it seemed like I could have both the master volume and the gain on the speakers cranked all the way up without anyone even believeing it was too loud.

Before I had the S2, I had the VCI-100 with the Audio 2DJ plugged into a separate line level mixer and noticed it was MUCH louder, but isn't the S2 supposed to have the same sound card as the Audio 2DJ? Is the difference in volume because the Audio 2DJ hooked up to an additional line level mixer has an additional boost on the line level mixer's channel volume + the master volume?

With that in mind, if I hook the S2 up to the line level mixer, it's MUCH louder...But overall, I'm not impressed with how quiet the S2's soundcard is on it's own.
Amal Brenizer
Originally Posted by makar1
If you have things at 0dB you should not be deep in the red. Turning your amp up will not go into the red for a quiet signal.

Sorry I misunderstood. The problem seems to have gone away.

I did as you suggested. Limiter off, no headroom 0.0db on main and gain. The volume was good. The best its been and even when I set it back to the original settings it sounds pretty good.

I believe I may have had a power supply problem because I plugged my computer and s2 into a different power source and all seems well.

Thanks for your help.
Amal Brenizer
It comes with the S2 in the box? One of those things that provides power from a wall socket?
Yeah its plugged in with the power supply cord it came with
Amal Brenizer
Are you guys using the S2 with or without the mains adapter?
Not sure what that is but if it's aftermarket then no.
Amal Brenizer
Originally Posted by tokenasianguy
Anyone else notice this?

I did my first gig with powered speakers plugged directly into the balanced outputs of the S2, and I had both the speakers and master volume cranked all the way in a room with 28 people (the room had about 4 tables, and wasn't very big at all). I had two Yorkville NX55P's (anyone that knows these speakers knows they're no slouch), 1 for a main, and 1 for a monitor and it seemed like I could have both the master volume and the gain on the speakers cranked all the way up without anyone even believeing it was too loud.

Before I had the S2, I had the VCI-100 with the Audio 2DJ plugged into a separate line level mixer and noticed it was MUCH louder, but isn't the S2 supposed to have the same sound card as the Audio 2DJ? Is the difference in volume because the Audio 2DJ hooked up to an additional line level mixer has an additional boost on the line level mixer's channel volume + the master volume?

With that in mind, if I hook the S2 up to the line level mixer, it's MUCH louder...But overall, I'm not impressed with how quiet the S2's soundcard is on it's own.
Any luck with this?

I'm having the exact same problem. The output from the RCAs is super quiet on my brand new unit. I've changed every level and setting and nothing helps.
Darlene Strohbeck
Originally Posted by Xtian317
Have you tried messing with the headroom and/or limiter setting?
Yeah, I never use the limiter, so it's always off.
Darlene Strohbeck
Originally Posted by snoemu5a
okAY WHATEVER dumbass
Those are some big words for someone hiding behind an internet pseudonym.
Amal Brenizer
If you have things at 0dB you should not be deep in the red. Turning your amp up will not go into the red for a quiet signal.

Sorry I misunderstood. The problem seems to have gone away.

I did as you suggested. Limiter off, no headroom 0.0db on main and gain. The volume was good. The best its been and even when I set it back to the original settings it sounds pretty good.

I believe I may have had a power supply problem because I plugged my computer and s2 into a different power source and all seems well.

Thanks for your help.
Alphonso Deitchman
Amal Brenizer
I can do all that and turn my amp way up and get it fairly loud but its deep in the red, it sounds like crap and it shouldn't be necessary.
Alphonso Deitchman
Traktor Master is at 0dB, headroom is off, limiter is off, track gain and deck gain at 0dB, and the Master Level on the S2 fully clockwise is still quiet?
Amal Brenizer
It comes with the S2 in the box? One of those things that provides power from a wall socket?
Yeah its plugged in with the power supply cord it came with
Alphonso Deitchman
Amal Brenizer
Not sure what that is but if it's aftermarket then no.
Alphonso Deitchman
Amal Brenizer
Originally Posted by tokenasianguy
Anyone else notice this?

Any luck with this?

I'm having the exact same problem. The output from the RCAs is super quiet on my brand new unit. I've changed every level and setting and nothing helps.
Darlene Strohbeck
Originally Posted by Xtian317
Yeah, I never use the limiter, so it's always off.
Darlene Strohbeck
okAY WHATEVER dumbass
Those are some big words for someone hiding behind an internet pseudonym.
Valery Ellick
Sparkle Faldyn
okAY WHATEVER dumbass
Darlene Strohbeck
No Im saying flcik the switch back and forth, a couple of times, you probably moved it while transporting it or something. I did the other week, and had to even unplug the bastard and close/reopen traktor.

"Usually I have two main speakers coming out from the 1/4inch connections on the back, and my monitor coming out of one of the RCA's. Isn't that how it's intended to be used as a standalone system?"

I have mine set up so that my monitors are connected with the quarter inch TRS->XLR and then the RCA's I usually send out to an amp with shitty speakers. And I keep the levels seperate. Too easy to blow something (or clipping) if you're controlling the input on two different sound systems with one control.
That's definitely not the issue. I can hear the level change when I increase the master. I was just amazed that at 3 quarters of the way, it wasn't nearly the same level SPL that I could've gained from getting extra boost from the output of a separate line level mixer.
Sparkle Faldyn
No Im saying flcik the switch back and forth, a couple of times, you probably moved it while transporting it or something. I did the other week, and had to even unplug the bastard and close/reopen traktor.

"Usually I have two main speakers coming out from the 1/4inch connections on the back, and my monitor coming out of one of the RCA's. Isn't that how it's intended to be used as a standalone system?"

I have mine set up so that my monitors are connected with the quarter inch TRS->XLR and then the RCA's I usually send out to an amp with shitty speakers. And I keep the levels seperate. Too easy to blow something (or clipping) if you're controlling the input on two different sound systems with one control.
Sparkle Faldyn

Darlene Strohbeck
sometimes it get 'stuck'. software wise.
the s2 is more prone to clipping than being too quiet. your settings are def. wrong, or as they say in tech support "an error has occured between the user and the input device"
I'm not following.

Doesn't the "booth/main" switch only control the RCA outputs? So you're suggesting to use the RCA's as my mains and control the master from the volume fader on the back? Thing is, if I use the S2 as a standalone system and want a monitor, I'll still have to hook it up to a separate line level mixer to get separate control over the mains and the monitor.

Usually I have two main speakers coming out from the 1/4inch connections on the back, and my monitor coming out of one of the RCA's. Isn't that how it's intended to be used as a standalone system?
Sparkle Faldyn
sometimes it get 'stuck'. software wise.
the s2 is more prone to clipping than being too quiet. your settings are def. wrong, or as they say in tech support "an error has occured between the user and the input device"
Darlene Strohbeck
Just flick the booth/main switch on the back, or turn up the vol fader next to it.
How would that make a different? If it's set to "main" you can turn up the master volume. If you turn it to "booth" the master volume becomes inactive, but you have to turn up the vol fader on the back. It's virtually the same thing.
Sparkle Faldyn
Just flick the booth/main switch on the back, or turn up the vol fader next to it.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy