S2 Dying in Middle of Gigs...help please

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: S2 Dying in Middle of Gigs...help pleaseReply
S2 Dying in Middle of Gigs...help please
Posted on: 22.02.2013 by Sol Agren
So this has now happened to me enough times (3 out of my last 4 gigs) that I'm concerned and hoping to find a solution.

Basically, my S2 will just completely die in the middle of a gig. Sometimes a couple times in a longer gig. When I say die, I mean all audio shuts off and is routed through my laptop speakers (S2 is no longer seen as an interface), and the whole unit just powers off and everything goes dark. Closing Traktor, unplugging and replugging the S2 USB connection, and reopening Traktor solves the problem (not exactly ideal in the middle of a set)! Traktor itself does not seem to have any issues, I can do anything I want still in the software - the problem seems to be the S2.

What's odd about this is that it only happens when the S2 is also my audio interface. I have my Traktor library synced via DropBox so usually when I'm at home going thru tracks/practicing whatever, I use the S2 simply as a controller via USB to my iMac and my Duet 2 Handles audio duties. Just for having one less thing to use when I go out though, I don't bring the duet and use the S2 for everything. I mention this cause I've done 4 or 5 hour sets with no problem at home, not using the S2 for audio, only to have the thing cut out 30 or 40 minutes into a set playing out. I have tried a couple different USB cables, and also do use AC power for the S2.

I do have the BeauBryte S2 mapping going, I have no idea if that's an issue. I don't see other people reporting problems with that though so I don't know what the deal is.
Dessie Meusel
Originally Posted by DEMUsic
So this has now happened to me enough times (3 out of my last 4 gigs) that I'm concerned and hoping to find a solution.

Basically, my S2 will just completely die in the middle of a gig. Sometimes a couple times in a longer gig. When I say die, I mean all audio shuts off and is routed through my laptop speakers (S2 is no longer seen as an interface), and the whole unit just powers off and everything goes dark. Closing Traktor, unplugging and replugging the S2 USB connection, and reopening Traktor solves the problem (not exactly ideal in the middle of a set)! Traktor itself does not seem to have any issues, I can do anything I want still in the software - the problem seems to be the S2.

What's odd about this is that it only happens when the S2 is also my audio interface. I have my Traktor library synced via DropBox so usually when I'm at home going thru tracks/practicing whatever, I use the S2 simply as a controller via USB to my iMac and my Duet 2 Handles audio duties. Just for having one less thing to use when I go out though, I don't bring the duet and use the S2 for everything. I mention this cause I've done 4 or 5 hour sets with no problem at home, not using the S2 for audio, only to have the thing cut out 30 or 40 minutes into a set playing out. I have tried a couple different USB cables, and also do use AC power for the S2.

I do have the BeauBryte S2 mapping going, I have no idea if that's an issue. I don't see other people reporting problems with that though so I don't know what the deal is.
Stupid question but are you powering the S2 through the power supply and not through just your laptop and USB?
Sol Agren

Abby Beeny
I always use the external power supply. I wasn't sure if my USB port would be powerful enough to run the S2. I was debating on getting a new USB chord but if multiple people are having the same problem it's probably driver/software issues.
Kyra Ramquist
As Dejayhan said, are you guys using an external power supply for your S2? Your laptop can only provide so much power, so it's not weird at all that your devices shut off when you're drawing too much power.
Abby Beeny
I have also had the same problem happen to me since after getting my F1! I noticed its only really if you use the jog wheels a lot. I normally don't scratch with them so its not that big of a deal but it still worries me that in the middle of a set it could go out. Hopefully somebody can figure out a simple answer. (I'm running a macbook pro with TP2.6.1)
Farrah Manygoats
Hmm... I'm glad you posted this. I was believeing of making a thread because I'm having the exact same problem with my S2. It's still not ideal because the sound cuts out for awhile, but you can just turn it off and turn it back on from the button on the back to get it working again. I'm also using Beaubryte's mapping, and I've noticed this seems to happen when the CPU load is kind of high, like when using jog effects. I'll have to try an older S2 driver if possible, because this problem really bothers me.
Dessie Meusel
Originally Posted by DEMUsic

Stupid question but are you powering the S2 through the power supply and not through just your laptop and USB?
Jeromy Bana
I had this problem with my S4 last year. about 30-45 min into a set. the S4 would lock up until i unplugged the USB and plugged it back in. and even then it was not 100% fine as i recall.

It was the S4 driver that was the problem. I uninstalled the and went to an earlier driver. Everything was fine.
Keep in mind, I am still 2.5.1 on my laptop.

Just a suggestion. this is not just for you but in general. If you gig out, you should practice in the studio with the same setup as your gig gear (at least on occasion) so that you don't have any surprises when you are performing live.

Edit: Have you tried a different USB cable? just in case there is a bad connect in it? I had to get a new cable for my Dicers. I guess my cable was pinched at some point and would cut in and out. if i hit the dicer to hard.
Dirk Veasman
That's a really odd problem. I don't own an S2, but you probably should try every USB port extensively. Maybe it's a USB port problem. May uninstall your S2 drivers and clean out it's registry entries and reinstall. I'm just coming up with general ideas obviously.

If you are saying the audio becomes routed to your built in soundcard automatically, then that is very weird. Maybe you should uninstall your factory soundcard driver or disable your factory soundcard in hardware preferences.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy