s4 fader A moves on its own

s4 fader A moves on its own
Posted on: 01.02.2012 by Rosemary Gurian
hey guys and gals...

Ive had my s4 for aprox 8 months. Only now am i getting this problem, its so annoying!

push fader A up to top it moves back down (10-25%) (on its own!!)
while fader A is up... if i move fader B up it moves down same percentage!

ive noticed that there are a few with same or similar issues and NO one has given a fix.

can some one please help????

I have re-installed and recaliberated and cleaned faders so thats not the answer!

I do not wish to switch to channel C and D as i use all 4 of my decks.

If i need to send my s4 to NI then so be it, but id really like to no y this is happening, so i can help others having similar issues!

many thanks and i hope someone has an answer to this wierd issue

SKAR
Nicki Fromme
Originally Posted by SKAR
hey guys and gals...

Ive had my s4 for aprox 8 months. Only now am i getting this problem, its so annoying!

ive noticed that there are a few with same or similar issues and NO one has given a fix.

I have re-installed and recaliberated and cleaned faders so thats not the answer!

If i need to send my s4 to NI then so be it, but id really like to no y this is happening, so i can help others having similar issues!

SKAR
here is a link to new faders if you are out of warranty and have a soldering iron it takes about 15 min to replace the faders.. usually when they starts jumping around it means the carbon strip in the faders are already worn down.. there is a link to some on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181156391034...84.m1558.l2649
Anamaria Cappola
Originally Posted by nikegeo
dealt with this problem for a few months with no fix. calibrating, cleaning, uninstall-reinstall all didn't work. Finally contacted NI and they sent a replacement unit. Took about 4 weeks because they have had a lot of these returns.

CONTACT THEM BEFORE WARRANTY RUNS OUT
How long is the warranty? I can't find their warranty statements anywhere on the website and I don't believe I got any papers of it. And how do I contact them if not by their mail? I mailed before the warranty went out (if it's one year warranty), but I have not got any answer from them.

I have not been able to find their phone number either.

Please help.
Gaynell Rydberg
2 months? Mine only took a week or two lol.

I just happened to order the wrong pitch fader.
Nicki Fromme
umm yeah china that take like 2 months to get in -_-.. i been there.. ha. well at least the next person can benefit =)

cheers mate!
Gaynell Rydberg
Wish you posted those sooner... I had to buy some from China...
Nicki Fromme
Originally Posted by SKAR
hey guys and gals...

SKAR
here is a link to new faders if you are out of warranty and have a soldering iron it takes about 15 min to replace the faders.. usually when they starts jumping around it means the carbon strip in the faders are already worn down.. there is a link to some on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181156391034...84.m1558.l2649
Emelina Chillson
..It's Hiotlers ghost. Yell Sieg Heil before every set and all will be forgiven.
Gaynell Rydberg
If your warranty runs out you can send it in for out of warranty repair. Cost for repair is around 120 minimum up to 400.
Marcelina Feliu
May I know what should I do if my warranty has run out?The S4 is causing big problems especially at the current space of time where I need it the most..

ps:warranty is for a year if im not mistaken,NO?

cheers guys
Mammie Ninke
I used some canned air with the spray straw in the fader slot and that seemed to work.
Anamaria Cappola
Originally Posted by nikegeo
dealt with this problem for a few months with no fix. calibrating, cleaning, uninstall-reinstall all didn't work. Finally contacted NI and they sent a replacement unit. Took about 4 weeks because they have had a lot of these returns.

How long is the warranty? I can't find their warranty statements anywhere on the website and I don't believe I got any papers of it. And how do I contact them if not by their mail? I mailed before the warranty went out (if it's one year warranty), but I have not got any answer from them.

I have not been able to find their phone number either.

Please help.
Christel Milito

money monoma
simply solution : CONTACT CLEANER .

I Had the same issue and now all is OK .
Essie Phillabaum
Having the same issue. Thank goodness i bought the additional warranty through Guitar Center.

I do have a question however. How do i swap to make decks C & D my primary decks? Whenever i try to load a track into either deck it won't load. I have switched them from remix decks to track decks but nothing. This is probably a simple fix i'm missing but can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.
Kizzy Dienhart
i had this same problem recently, and fixed it by blowing into the fader... old school nintendo cartridge style!!

If that doesn't work, I would suggest using "contact cleaner" on the faders. I bought some years ago at Radio Shack to clear up issues with my DJM500 faders bleeding sound.

peace.
Shan Bauerly
Which product did you use?
Alisa Neuder
I can appreciate your concern HigherFi and thank you for your non judgmental attitude. I can say that the person who suggested such a technique is a qualified electrician and club owner who routinely fixes his own gear. I too was a little apprehensive at first but I do trust his word so gave it a go and no problems so far. Might not be the approach for everyone but it is the way I went. Thanks for your response
Shan Bauerly
I'm not bagging on your technique, DJMpress, so please don't take this the wrong way. But, I can't even begin to believe about just randomly spraying "metal lubricant" into the slots and [inadvertently] across the many electrical contacts in this $900 device. I'm not saying it couldn't or doesn't work, but after opening it up, it seems like the hand grenade approach with far greater potential to totally fry the controller. Furthermore, it's equally as warranty-dissolving. Then, there's the nature of the "metal lubricant" in question. Plenty of that stuff is a solvent for plastics and circuit boards.
Alisa Neuder
I had this problem, I fixed this problem, very quickly and simply.
The problem is dust and fine partials getting into your s4. I sprayed a metal lubricant into the fader slots, wiggled them around and now they work absolutely fine. Saved me a whole lot of time and money. Hope this helps, it is what worked for me.
Shan Bauerly
Figured I'd real-time this support ticket. As soon as I post this reply I'm going to file the ticket that Fader A has a mind of its own.
2.5 Hrs later:
FIRST: Close Traktor and go to DOCUMENTS-->TRAKTOR 2 (your current version) and
delete TRAKTOR SETTINGS.TSI. Now you are ready to continue.

1) Please completely uninstall the Controller Editor software. You can download
the MAC OSX UNINSTALL UTILITY to make this easier, from here:

http://co.native-instruments.com/?id=freeupdates

Then run the utility and select the CONTROLLER EDITOR software to remove.

2) On your OS X system drive, go in the Applications>Utilities folder and
double-click the Disk Utility.

Select your system boot volume on the left (the named drive), and then click the
First Aid tab on the right and click the button on that page that says Repair Disk
Permissions.

This will take a few minutes to complete. This is a general maintenance routine
for the OS which is recommended to ensure the proper functioning of the system.

3) Download and reinstall the CONTROLLER EDITOR 1.5.1 from here:

http://co.native-instruments.com/?id=freeupdates

4) Launch Traktor and see if the controller and software respond correctly to one
another.

15 minutes later: that didn't fix it. Replied back to NI informing them their fix didn't work. No response yet.

Did tons of homework on the issue, broke the seal & took the thing apart, cleaned contacts on the faders (all of them) re assembled and the problem is resolved. 100%. No problem-o.

Lessons learned:
NI really have no staff - or no clue - or really could care less.
It's a piece of audio hardware - not magic. A fader is a fader. I suspect had this been in external mix mode, it would have been "scratchy" and maintenance would've come sooner.
Margarite Hoogewind
Originally Posted by Cryki
Mine has been ongoing for about 5 months, i havent bothered writing to NI as i assumed it was a software fault its only when i have looked at these community s and the problem has got worse and my warranty has just run out, how much do they charge for repair? You spend over
Coralee Salti
Mine has been ongoing for about 5 months, i havent bothered writing to NI as i assumed it was a software fault its only when i have looked at these community s and the problem has got worse and my warranty has just run out, how much do they charge for repair? You spend over
Shalon Jaranilla
So my deck c and b started to live their own life. Seems for me to be dust. Not so strange after 1.2 years of almost every weekend playing on the beach with them.

Tried an older computer where i installed an older version of traktor pro, but that wasn't the solution.

Already was believeing of getting an other controller because warranty is gone and it's already been openend up to solder a new usb connector in it. But just tought well let's just blow with my mouth into the opening of the faders.

And, al seems to be ok again.
Addie Engbrecht
I've never dealt with NI for taking stuff back, but from what I heard it's actually a pretty easy process. I know NI is notorious for garbage tech support and customer service, but I've never once heard of anyone complain about having a repair done. I believe they pay for all shipping and stuff and usually send you a new one. I've heard it usually averages about a few weeks total in time.
Anamaria Cappola
I had this problem when I made my mixtape, very strange, but is it a hardware problem then?
Margarite Hoogewind
Well was working fine for a while but today the left tempo fader started moving all over the place on it's own again so definitely time for a repair.

My options are to take it back to where I got it from they said they troubleshoot and if they fix it they charge $35, which is bullshit. If they can't fix it they send it away under warranty. Or option B i can just deal with NI directly by lodging a support ticket. Has anyone had experience dealing with NI directly for repairs? any ideas on how long the process takes and if they pay for shipping to and from them?
Margarite Hoogewind
Yeah I've seen on the NI community s that it's a common problem. If it starts doing it again I'll definitely be taking it back. However while it's working fine I figure I might as well run with it. It's only 2 weeks old so still have plenty of warranty so I'll just keep an eye on it and hope it was a once off episode.
Addie Engbrecht
Originally Posted by Ftruck
I had the same thing happen to my left pitch fader yesterday. Was playing with it and all was normal then all of a sudden software pitch fader would just move all over the shop by itself. It also seemed to have an offset (if fader was centered on S4 the software would show it as almost at the bottom).

I tried unplugging and replugging, turning it off and on, restarting computer and recalibrating everything. After nothing would work I said fuck it, turned it off and called the place I got it from to check out their warranty process. When I went back and turned it on a few hours later it was fine. Knowing my luck writing this post has jinxed me and when I get home it will be screwed again

Take that thing back or at least have NI take it back. The left pitch fader is a common hardware flaw bud. It's not gonna get any better so might as well take it back when you're still under warranty.
Margarite Hoogewind
I had the same thing happen to my left pitch fader yesterday. Was playing with it and all was normal then all of a sudden software pitch fader would just move all over the shop by itself. It also seemed to have an offset (if fader was centered on S4 the software would show it as almost at the bottom).

I tried unplugging and replugging, turning it off and on, restarting computer and recalibrating everything. After nothing would work I said fuck it, turned it off and called the place I got it from to check out their warranty process. When I went back and turned it on a few hours later it was fine. Knowing my luck writing this post has jinxed me and when I get home it will be screwed again
Harriett Santelli
Hi guys!

Had the same problem after 2 days of live DJing (this weekend).
In the middle of the gig I heard the track I wanted to play next in the main channel and got panic, then I saw the on air-led active and didnt understand a damn thing. So, I google and found this thread.

Exactly the same issue, tried different drivers etc and as someone said, this is a hardware issue. I solved this by using a very tiny philips driver and found some dust under the bottom of the fade level. This solved my problem to 100%

Don't try to force-pull the fader down, you will just make your dust more compact
Francine Carlotta
But actually I'm not the only one with this issue. I spot yesterday that my volume wad pretty low on Deck A. I then checked the virtual mixer with realtor and realise that even with the fader all the way up on the S4 it wad only 3/4 up on the software. Tried few things but he volume keep gradually going down when the fader is at the top and it goes up slightly when the fader is way down.
I hope it's only a bug from the last realtor software update as this started only after the 2.1.2 update.
I will get in touch with Native Instruments but it's pretty strange we have this hardware failure all at the same time. Might be to do something with the sofware or firmware.
Rosemary Gurian
@Randellstringer...

i just want this to be solved! i hate not being able to rinse the preverbial one's and two's!!

A new s4 would be great tho... heres hoping :P

SKAR
Rosemary Gurian
@dros
ive had similar issues with gear before... some company's just want to cheat customers out of monies and thats not fair...

ok so...

email was sent to me today with a zip file attached... its run a diagnostic check on my lap top, i have now sent this to them. now i wait.....

not sure how this will solve/help the issue... but they're the boss!

Ill keep updating

SKAR
Libbie Kommer
i believe i had the same problem
tried everything and couldnt fix it myself so i contacted NI and sent it into them
they couldnt fix it so they sent me a brand new s4 haha
Dj Tykarma
oops, I have the exact same issue but on the B fader.

I hope it's not the hardware.

I bought it at Thomann, and last time I sent them a DMX light to repair, they told my light's circuity was damaged by liquid, though I'm certain it wasn't...
Rosemary Gurian
AW MAN!!! lol
I thort i would have to... wanted to eliminate all other possibilitys!

Earlier today ive emailed NI direct, stating my problem. Would anyone no if they are quick to reply? My warrenty runs out at the end of the month! Thort it was 8 months of usage but i was wrong!

Cheers for all u help

its much appreciated!
Addie Engbrecht
common hardware issue for some people. Only fix is to send it in.
Larraine Hannum
It's a hardware issue then
Rosemary Gurian
I use the stock mappings, but recently ive learnt how to midi map... so ive mapped my numberpad keys on lappy to immitate a midi fighter style combo fx pad...(added to generic keyboard tsi)
I did check wether it was this that was making my faders move by doing a complete re-install without my add-ons...
robin loo
it's a hardware issue..

the only fix i know of is to get your unit replaced by NI..

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy