Thinking about adding Turntables to my S4, is it worth it?

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Thinking about adding Turntables to my S4, is it worth it?Reply
Thinking about adding Turntables to my S4, is it worth it?
Posted on: 13.06.2013 by Etta Saulle
Hey everyone, I would like some input on this one. So i've had my s4 for about a year now and i believe its absolutely killer. But now I really wanna get into the real realm of DJing. I've been a noob for the past year to be honest. I used sync for a bit when i started, but now I kinda use the phase meter a lot (which is basically the same thing i know). I can kind of beat match but not 100%. I rarely use the jog wheel, except when searching around for a part in a track. I mainly use the cue buttons along with the phase meter to do my mixing. With that said, is there really a point in adding turntables? I mean like I said I barely use my jog wheels. I would like to learn how to scratch one day, but i dont believe i would really use that skill much since I spin a lot of EDM (house/trance) but I also play hip-hop too sometimes. But really though, what ADVANTAGES would adding some turntables through timecode really do for me as a DJ? Scratching is one....but what else? I see a lot of DJ's using TT's when they mix in songs, and want to do that (and look like that lol) so maybe its a good idea?

Sorry if i sound like a newb but I kind of am. I would appreciate some kind words of wisdom, and maybe some people who actually use the S4 with timecoded turntables!
Abel Quickley
Originally Posted by djkodon
Hey everyone, I would like some input on this one. So i've had my s4 for about a year now and i believe its absolutely killer. But now I really wanna get into the real realm of DJing. I've been a noob for the past year to be honest. I used sync for a bit when i started, but now I kinda use the phase meter a lot (which is basically the same thing i know). I can kind of beat match but not 100%. I rarely use the jog wheel, except when searching around for a part in a track. I mainly use the cue buttons along with the phase meter to do my mixing. With that said, is there really a point in adding turntables? I mean like I said I barely use my jog wheels. I would like to learn how to scratch one day, but i dont believe i would really use that skill much since I spin a lot of EDM (house/trance) but I also play hip-hop too sometimes. But really though, what ADVANTAGES would adding some turntables through timecode really do for me as a DJ? Scratching is one....but what else? I see a lot of DJ's using TT's when they mix in songs, and want to do that (and look like that lol) so maybe its a good idea?

Sorry if i sound like a newb but I kind of am. I would appreciate some kind words of wisdom, and maybe some people who actually use the S4 with timecoded turntables!
The last 3 shows I've played have been all vinyl sets, and i own an S4.

I got an S4 a year ago after owning an S2 for 5 months. I bought it knowing I wanted to expand, eventually, to a true 2 vinyl X 2 digital setup as is present in most clubs...

I'd echo Kwal, no amount of practice is ever enough. But more importantly, the question is: do you see yourself becoming a vinyl addict? Or do you just want to do it to use control vinyl next to your s4? I myself became a vinyl addict, which is why i bought the S4. I own about 100 records now, and that's really nothing compared to what real DJ's who spin vinyl have... but its a long process! and thats why its so satisfying, because you cant just download 1000 tracks.

anyway, if youre not going to be buying ALOT of vinyl, its really not worth it. Unless you got $$ to blow, in which case....

https://soundcloud.com/ephraim_nyc
Desire Piedmont
Originally Posted by Blak Majik
I second this guy. I used my S4 with my 1200s for a little bit when I first got it. It's cool, but the setup is way too wide IMHO. I don't like how much space it takes up on my table, let alone imagining using it at a club that way would make transitioning to the next DJ a evening mare
I've never bothered to hook my 1210's up to my S4. I have just kept them plugged into my older Stanton mixer. I want to get into time code, but the S4 doesn't feel right for the job. It is way too wide.
Larue Ostmeyer
Originally Posted by Kwal
You should do yourself a favor and turn off the phase meter, set your own cue points, turn off the auto bpm and sync and spin like that for a while before spending a lot of money on tables
I second this guy. I used my S4 with my 1200s for a little bit when I first got it. It's cool, but the setup is way too wide IMHO. I don't like how much space it takes up on my table, let alone imagining using it at a club that way would make transitioning to the next DJ a evening mare
Etta Saulle

Abel Quickley
Originally Posted by djkodon

The last 3 shows I've played have been all vinyl sets, and i own an S4.

I got an S4 a year ago after owning an S2 for 5 months. I bought it knowing I wanted to expand, eventually, to a true 2 vinyl X 2 digital setup as is present in most clubs...

I'd echo Kwal, no amount of practice is ever enough. But more importantly, the question is: do you see yourself becoming a vinyl addict? Or do you just want to do it to use control vinyl next to your s4? I myself became a vinyl addict, which is why i bought the S4. I own about 100 records now, and that's really nothing compared to what real DJ's who spin vinyl have... but its a long process! and thats why its so satisfying, because you cant just download 1000 tracks.

anyway, if youre not going to be buying ALOT of vinyl, its really not worth it. Unless you got $$ to blow, in which case....

https://soundcloud.com/ephraim_nyc
Roy Houn
I use my turntables with my S4 and i believe its a brilliant combo, full control over the software thru the S4, fx, song selection, loops etc but the fun factor of using vinyl..i believe its brilliant, even believeing of selling my vestax pdx2000's and buying some technics 1210mk2's....
Desire Piedmont
Originally Posted by Blak Majik
I've never bothered to hook my 1210's up to my S4. I have just kept them plugged into my older Stanton mixer. I want to get into time code, but the S4 doesn't feel right for the job. It is way too wide.
Garfield Scheurich
Just use 1 turntable. That is all you need for a scratching platform.
Erica Charvet
I'll bring out the 1210's occasionally for the look, but I'm not much of a turntablist. They do look sharp alongside the S4 though.
Larue Ostmeyer
Originally Posted by Kwal
You should do yourself a favor and turn off the phase meter, set your own cue points, turn off the auto bpm and sync and spin like that for a while before spending a lot of money on tables
Ming Devis
If you want to get really tight and confident with beat matching buy a pair of TT's and a stack of second hand vinyl and learn how to mix solely with your ears. If you want to play your digital tracks disable the BPM readout and the phase meter and mix with your ears also with timecode.

When you can beatmatch with your ears well it makes everything feel allot easier and makes you really listen to your music and understand it's structure. You can score some old school and exclusive vinyl gems that allot of the digital DJ's will wish they could have as well!
Mila Fran
I have an s4 and 2 1200 I believe it expands what u can do I have cdj also and stacks of vinyl the more u have the more u can do
Hellen Mindrup
Erline Halvey
Wow... this is pretty scary. I feel like I'm in the exact same situation as you! I've had the S4 for a year now, can't beatmatch 100% correctly, spin all those genres.

That being said, I've been using some TTs at the clubs and other places to mix sometimes and it is different. But fun! There's just some things that the jogwheel can't replicate (because it doesn't move, etc). I feel like if you do get TTs, it helps you get a good grasp of the speed of a song and you can push/slow down the song much easier than when doing it on the S4 jogwheel.

One of my friends is actually going to give me his starter turntables for free soon so I'm pretty excited about that! I've been looking around for 1200s, but it just seems like TTs is the next step to go if I really want to solidify myself as a DJ.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy