Traktor controller that does'nt need a laptop

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Traktor controller that does'nt need a laptopReply
Traktor controller that does'nt need a laptop
Posted on: 17.03.2013 by Cleotilde Crisci
So guys i love the tractor s4 and use it at home its amazing but i would never bring it to a gig for the simple reason i will never take a laptop to a evening club or bar as its probably the worst place you could possibly bring it for getting damaged or robbed
I love the idea of the xdj aero but much prefer the s4 do you believe we are close to traktor bringing out a controller thats similar to the s4 with lots of cues fx and all the extras we are used to without the need for a laptop ?
Ellsworth Moroni
Originally Posted by Frank112916
Making a dedicated controller for existing software is different than changing your entire business model. It makes sense to have integrated hardware, it doesn't really make sense to create a hardware software combo that would be expensive and add very little value. A few years back midi controllers where peripheral devices with much less traction than thy have today. Cdjs and standalone media playing devices with fx and advanced transport have been around forever.

They may move towards more mobile platforms which offer fully functional software such as tablets (they already have started) but building the same exact functionality into the hardware
that is found in the software makes no sense... midi controllers dont become obsolete like a fully integrated setup would. With the s4 you can tack on an x1 or f1 for added control. The entire philosophy behind traktor is based around the ability to have a flexible, modular set up which revolves around your mobile computing device as the core. if you are willing to bring a 2k+ controller why not just bring a cheaper controller and laptop? Traktor couldn't even initially produce the s4 and sell it for under 900, I can't imagine what something with a full CPU and integrated fx/waveforms/cue points etc... Would cost... What you're suggesting now is a step backward actually...there are already plenty of standalone platforms that can be used as midi controllers.
Where from are you pulling all of that ? The Traktor philosophy and all, it is only your fruitful imagination. I have to remind you that Maschine actually have some "advanced" integrated stuff (LCD with waveform...). We could also see the mobile incursion as a way toward some optimisation of small screens use, in order to eventually create controlers with integrated traktor.
Why would they privilegiate something that is not obsolete. The best business model is based on obsolescance. I would also point out the fact that they are currently facing a dilema wich is : they are the makers of Traktor, the best Dj software around, that anyone can use with any controller -> they want to get more profit from it with highly dedicated hardware. Best software-optimised argument is "our controllers unlock some things you cannot, or hardly can, acces with other controllers" BUT by doing that they are limiting the access to their alpha product, the Traktor software (less people using Traktor brings less people buying traktor-compatible hardware).

The most logical next step, in my opinion, would be to keep Traktor as the best soft everyone is going to use, and make controllers that fit to alternative builds of Traktor. That would mean a Traktor suite and dedicated controllers. So WHY NOT making something wich combine Traktor and the controller in one piece if the goal is portability. Why would they go into pure modularity if it wide opens the way for competitors ?
Dino Hapgood
Originally Posted by shazza
I actually started a thread similar to this on another community quite a few years back wondering would native instruments bring out a DJ controller for traktor someone similar to you gave me a torrid of abuse saying it would never happen a couple of years later the s4 was announced
Making a dedicated controller for existing software is different than changing your entire business model. It makes sense to have integrated hardware, it doesn't really make sense to create a hardware software combo that would be expensive and add very little value. A few years back midi controllers where peripheral devices with much less traction than thy have today. Cdjs and standalone media playing devices with fx and advanced transport have been around forever.

They may move towards more mobile platforms which offer fully functional software such as tablets (they already have started) but building the same exact functionality into the hardware
that is found in the software makes no sense... midi controllers dont become obsolete like a fully integrated setup would. With the s4 you can tack on an x1 or f1 for added control. The entire philosophy behind traktor is based around the ability to have a flexible, modular set up which revolves around your mobile computing device as the core. if you are willing to bring a 2k+ controller why not just bring a cheaper controller and laptop? Traktor couldn't even initially produce the s4 and sell it for under 900, I can't imagine what something with a full CPU and integrated fx/waveforms/cue points etc... Would cost... What you're suggesting now is a step backward actually...there are already plenty of standalone platforms that can be used as midi controllers.
Cleotilde Crisci
Because it makes no sense for traktor to change their entire business model around because someone is too lazy to look after their laptop at a evening club...

And the xdj aero doesn't have 1/10th the fx of a djm900 or 2000...not comparable at all. Btw making new software is expensive and consumes vital resources which could be devoted to other things. It's not like you just strip out traktor and throw it into a piece of hardware.
I actually started a thread similar to this on another community quite a few years back wondering would native instruments bring out a DJ controller for traktor someone similar to you gave me a torrid of abuse saying it would never happen a couple of years later the s4 was announced
Dino Hapgood
What exactly is the xdj aero then its not perfect but does almost everything you described with the help of rekordbox and im sure it will be improved over the next few years surely if pioneer can do it traktor and native instruments can do it too ?
Because it makes no sense for traktor to change their entire business model around because someone is too lazy to look after their laptop at a evening club...

And the xdj aero doesn't have 1/10th the fx of a djm900 or 2000...not comparable at all. Btw making new software is expensive and consumes vital resources which could be devoted to other things. It's not like you just strip out traktor and throw it into a piece of hardware.
Cleotilde Crisci
Cdj 2000 nexus' and a djm 900/2000 nexus...that is literally the only hid controller that you can use the same fx and cue points as well as waveforms. This will set you back roughly $5.5k given the general market price for these products.

Seriously what kind of question is this? It literally makes no sense. The entire value proposition behind traktor is that it leverages the user's laptop to perform its core functions. What you're proposing is exactly what cdjs and a mixer are...which is exactly what traktor is not and does not aspire to be.

What you're really asking for is: when is some company going to make pioneer quality hardware for the same price as and as portable as an s4 that has built
In traktor effects and cue point compatibility? and the answer is never, because it makes no sense at all to do so.

What exactly is the xdj aero then its not perfect but does almost everything you described with the help of rekordbox and im sure it will be improved over the next few years surely if pioneer can do it traktor and native instruments can do it too ?
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by filespnr
this is an interesting topic because Native clearly LOVES selling hardware; So much so that i predict in the distant future they"ll be selling electric cars and clothes washers.
Can the dashboard be a DJ booth? Can the washer be a DJ booth? I'd want both.

However, this all in one idea just never seems to take off.
I suggest that instead of having a controller that connects to a laptop, or a controller that is only for djing; we could perhaps develop a controller that is the personal computer also. Being that djing is a"lifestyle" atm, it seems like the next logical step.

l
https://openlabs.com/LxdPage

It's a thing! It's totally a thing already!
Herma Buschelman
So guys i love the tractor s4 and use it at home its amazing but i would never bring it to a gig for the simple reason i will never take a laptop to a evening club or bar as its probably the worst place you could possibly bring it for getting damaged or robbed
I love the idea of the xdj aero but much prefer the s4 do you believe we are close to traktor bringing out a controller thats similar to the s4 with lots of cues fx and all the extras we are used to without the need for a laptop ?
this is an interesting topic because Native clearly LOVES selling hardware; So much so that i predict in the distant future they"ll be selling electric cars and clothes washers. However, this all in one idea just never seems to take off.
I suggest that instead of having a controller that connects to a laptop, or a controller that is only for djing; we could perhaps develop a controller that is the personal computer also. Being that djing is a"lifestyle" atm, it seems like the next logical step.

l
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Oevl
So why would he take a tablet instead of a laptop...
Less chance of it getting damaged by a flung drink as water/fluids just run off a tablet instead of sinking into the chassis through the keyboard. Hell, some of the new W8 tablets are waterproof. Also, takes up less space in the booth
Ellsworth Moroni
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Here's a tip: Don't leave the booth unattended while you're playing?
Alphonso Deitchman
Originally Posted by Stewe
Did you even read trough this thread mate?
I read that the OP was interested in something like an XDJ Aero but more like the S4. The only possibilities are all-in-ones like the Aero, or CDJs/turntables with a mixer.

My dear Makar, nothing gives you Traktor functionality without a laptop. Not even
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by makar1
CDJ+mixer IS Traktor functionality without a laptop. What were you believeing of, a single piece of hardware that can do every single thing the Traktor program can?
Doreen Schurle
CDJ+mixer IS Traktor functionality without a laptop. What were you believeing of, a single piece of hardware that can do every single thing the Traktor program can?
My dear Makar, nothing gives you Traktor functionality without a laptop. Not even
Kellie Myrum
What?
That. Talking about traktor here? Aside CDJ functionality...
Ellsworth Moroni

Where from are you pulling all of that ? The Traktor philosophy and all, it is only your fruitful imagination. I have to remind you that Maschine actually have some "advanced" integrated stuff (LCD with waveform...). We could also see the mobile incursion as a way toward some optimisation of small screens use, in order to eventually create controlers with integrated traktor.
Why would they privilegiate something that is not obsolete. The best business model is based on obsolescance. I would also point out the fact that they are currently facing a dilema wich is : they are the makers of Traktor, the best Dj software around, that anyone can use with any controller -> they want to get more profit from it with highly dedicated hardware. Best software-optimised argument is "our controllers unlock some things you cannot, or hardly can, acces with other controllers" BUT by doing that they are limiting the access to their alpha product, the Traktor software (less people using Traktor brings less people buying traktor-compatible hardware).

The most logical next step, in my opinion, would be to keep Traktor as the best soft everyone is going to use, and make controllers that fit to alternative builds of Traktor. That would mean a Traktor suite and dedicated controllers. So WHY NOT making something wich combine Traktor and the controller in one piece if the goal is portability. Why would they go into pure modularity if it wide opens the way for competitors ?
Dino Hapgood

Cleotilde Crisci

Dino Hapgood

Cleotilde Crisci
Cdj 2000 nexus' and a djm 900/2000 nexus...that is literally the only hid controller that you can use the same fx and cue points as well as waveforms. This will set you back roughly $5.5k given the general market price for these products.

Seriously what kind of question is this? It literally makes no sense. The entire value proposition behind traktor is that it leverages the user's laptop to perform its core functions. What you're proposing is exactly what cdjs and a mixer are...which is exactly what traktor is not and does not aspire to be.

What you're really asking for is: when is some company going to make pioneer quality hardware for the same price as and as portable as an s4 that has built
In traktor effects and cue point compatibility? and the answer is never, because it makes no sense at all to do so.

Dj Tykarma
I use a Vestax Spin 2 with an iPad (you may also use an iPad mini, iPod touch or even iPhone with it). The Spin 2 weights about 1.5Kg.

It's supposed to work with Algoriddim's Djay but I have created thread here in which you'll see updates on my project of making a Vestax Spin 2 tsi for Traktor Pro 2 :

http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=67069

The tsi is already pretty functionnal with almost everything mapped according to the Spin 2's layout.
Doreen Schurle
Tbh, it's actually not that bad of a deal, considering the cost of high end keyboards like Korg's stuff.
Ellsworth Moroni
ONLY 3599 $ ??? Where is my credit card...
Ervin Calvery
this is an interesting topic because Native clearly LOVES selling hardware; So much so that i predict in the distant future they"ll be selling electric cars and clothes washers.
Can the dashboard be a DJ booth? Can the washer be a DJ booth? I'd want both.

However, this all in one idea just never seems to take off.

l
https://openlabs.com/LxdPage

It's a thing! It's totally a thing already!
Herma Buschelman
this is an interesting topic because Native clearly LOVES selling hardware; So much so that i predict in the distant future they"ll be selling electric cars and clothes washers. However, this all in one idea just never seems to take off.

l
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Oevl
Less chance of it getting damaged by a flung drink as water/fluids just run off a tablet instead of sinking into the chassis through the keyboard. Hell, some of the new W8 tablets are waterproof. Also, takes up less space in the booth
Ellsworth Moroni
Here's a tip: Don't leave the booth unattended while you're playing?
Tamela Batara
All day long would rather have nexus' and DB4. Almost there too.
Alphonso Deitchman
I read that the OP was interested in something like an XDJ Aero but more like the S4. The only possibilities are all-in-ones like the Aero, or CDJs/turntables with a mixer.

Kellie Myrum
Doreen Schurle
Alphonso Deitchman
Kellie Myrum
What?
That. Talking about traktor here? Aside CDJ functionality...
Alphonso Deitchman
But those still need Traktor to run.
What?
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Numark tried the mixdeck... the mixdeck was a fail. the mixdeck quad is a bit more software friendly as the mixer sends midi, but never even seen the thing or heard anything by anyone about it's use accept on ddjt.
Merlyn Birchfield
No, I've been at ultra for 3 days dancing for 11 hrs straight and only got 2 hrs of sleep last evening , and the woman at McDonald's forgot my second apple pie.
Bahahaha... it's a rough life
Kellie Myrum
They already make this: it's called a CDJ 2000 nexus and DJM 900/2000. Yes it costs an assload of money for 4 decks + a mixer but there is a reason for that.
But those still need Traktor to run.

Why would native instruments make such a controller? Their entire business model is based around Traktor software, while making hardware that enhances - not replaces - the software's functionality. Not only that, but they've added full integration for exactly the setup you are talking about - it just happens to cost the same as a compact car to own.
And why not. I'm talking about the next generation of traktor products. It's not that this will or should happen any time soon but who knows what future will bring, I'd like to see something like this and that's all.
Dino Hapgood
Totally make sense to me if NI build it though... People could ether way use this controller type or Traktor on their laptops, just pick the side.
They already make this: it's called a CDJ 2000 nexus and DJM 900/2000. Yes it costs an assload of money for 4 decks + a mixer but there is a reason for that.

The beauty of SOFTWARE, is that it's easily and cheaply adapted (relatively) to perform new tasks and take advantage of existing hardware specifications without having to release brand new integrated hardware (a la pioneer) to make major updates.

Why would native instruments make such a controller? Their entire business model is based around Traktor software, while making hardware that enhances - not replaces - the software's functionality. Not only that, but they've added full integration for exactly the setup you are talking about - it just happens to cost the same as a compact car to own.
Alphonso Deitchman
I can see a possible Traktor DJ compatible controller in the near future, but a full standalone all-in-one device is quite a niche product and NI tend to direct their development towards sales volume.
Kellie Myrum
and the answer is never, because it makes no sense at all to do so.
Totally make sense to me if NI build it though... People could ether way use this controller type or Traktor on their laptops, just pick the side.
Dino Hapgood
Originally Posted by kooper1980
OUCH!! Did you forget to take your meds today?
No, I've been at ultra for 3 days dancing for 11 hrs straight and only got 2 hrs of sleep last evening , and the woman at McDonald's forgot my second apple pie. That and this is a ridiculous question. If there was a controller that didn't need traktor and could do everything traktor could do at a cost-effective price then traktor wouldn't exist.
Kristofer Krauel

OUCH!! Did you forget to take your meds today?

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy