Good Studio Headphones & DACs, which should I buy?

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Good Studio Headphones & DACs, which should I buy?Reply
Good Studio Headphones & DACs, which should I buy?
Posted on: 05.06.2013 by Vikki Falkenrath
I'm having thouble to listen to music with my notebook's speakers, and buying some external speakers would bother my family too much haha. So I decided to buy just a DAC and a good studio headphone.
Now, what are the best ones?
Doing some research I found that Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is a good choice.... is it?
What about DACs, is there any difference at all between them?

Thanks
Vikki Falkenrath
Originally Posted by Polygon
The 650 is quite comfortable, especially on the headband.
As a can it's praised for its macro-detail resolving abilities, can really translate well across different nuances.
I wouldn't consider it a reference monitor can tho, because it's pretty colored as a headphone. Most would describe it as "bassy and smooth", not exactly what i would look for in a reference can.

Beyerdynamic makes some very good cans, but i don't really like their dt series, mostly because of their heaviness on the head. They are extremely uncolored tho, especially the 990, and they come in different impedence versions , which will be good if you won't be using them with no external sound card (32ohm version)
The T series is phenomenal tho.

As i said something like 300 times on this community already i LOVE the akg k701 for their resolving abilities, and they are also very very comfy, and darn cheap for what they offer.
Thanks, now I see the 3 options, Sennheiser, AKG and Beyerdynamic. I will make my choice wisely, thank you guys for the help!
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Daniboy
Good to know! Thanks! And about the headphones, this Sennheiser HD 650 looks so confortable, thats what I'm talking about! hahaha I spend hours and hours listening to music, I believe this is my category of headphone, any other choices in that category?
As a can it's praised for its macro-detail resolving abilities, can really translate well across different nuances.
I wouldn't consider it a reference monitor can tho, because it's pretty colored as a headphone. Most would describe it as "bassy and smooth", not exactly what i would look for in a reference can.

Beyerdynamic makes some very good cans, but i don't really like their dt series, mostly because of their heaviness on the head. They are extremely uncolored tho, especially the 990, and they come in different impedence versions , which will be good if you won't be using them with no external sound card (32ohm version)

As i said something like 300 times on this community already i LOVE the akg k701 for their resolving abilities, and they are also very very comfy, and darn cheap for what they offer.
Trey Brune
Good to know! Thanks! And about the headphones, this Sennheiser HD 650 looks so confortable, thats what I'm talking about! hahaha I spend hours and hours listening to music, I believe this is my category of headphone, any other choices in that category?
The Beyerdynamics I mentioned. Very comfortable.
Vikki Falkenrath
We should be sorry to have derailed your thread, not you

Guitarcentre. Those guys have a load more stuff than any bestbuy.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by makar1
There have been many studies on this exact comparison which have been properly conducted (ABX testing). I have yet to come across any that conclude anything other than that there is no audible difference between CD audio and above.

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/Gal...007_Report.pdf
http://www.itwriting.com/blog/articl...r-than-than-cd
I, among many others as you can clearly see in this thread, can hear the difference between CD and higher bit/samplerates. What more proof do you need?
Dannie Dimora
Sorry for interupting this complex conversation, but let me ask something.... how easy it is to use/install these Audio Interfaces? and how easy it is to find them on shops? I'm not from USA, I'm from Brazil, but I'm going to Chicago and Vegas this month and I planning to go to Best Buy or something.. will I find this type of stuff there?

Edwardo Rothenberger
There have been many studies on this exact comparison which have been properly conducted (ABX testing). I have yet to come across any that conclude anything other than that there is no audible difference between CD audio and above.

Look, we all know what you believe about mp3 vs wav, higher sampling frequencies and bit rates. You constantly bleat on about it any chance you get.

I believe many of us appreciate many don't notice any difference, but stop trying to ram your view down others throats with your ABX, double blind tests.

Just allow others to have their opinion.
Trey Brune
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Haha :P 'sok. I have a specific bias against people trying to make other people asking for help spend money unnecessarily... the fact is, if you want to use headphones instead of speakers, you can get a fantastic pair for
Dannie Dimora
Care to link a study or any evidence at all that shows that "most people are able to tell the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit material"?
Dude, if you cannot discern CD from SACD or DVD-a that doesn't mean everybody else can't.
Edwardo Rothenberger
Care to link a study or any evidence at all that shows that "most people are able to tell the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit material"?
Boring
Mimi Mahaffee
16bit gives you up to 120dB of dynamic range, which is far more than enough to cover the hearing range.
Wonder why most peope are able to tell the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit material then?
it's not a small difference, it's quite substantional.
However I'm happy with CD quality files of 16 bit, but if i had the oppurtunity to easy acess and store all my music files at 192/24 I would have them like that for sure.
Anibal Hoormann
Guys, I am starting dj-ing but I already use quite a lot Ableton, and I would like to know if for 100
Vikki Falkenrath

Thanks, now I see the 3 options, Sennheiser, AKG and Beyerdynamic. I will make my choice wisely, thank you guys for the help!
Dannie Dimora

Trey Brune
The Beyerdynamics I mentioned. Very comfortable.
Vikki Falkenrath

Dannie Dimora

I, among many others as you can clearly see in this thread, can hear the difference between CD and higher bit/samplerates. What more proof do you need?
Dannie Dimora
Sorry for interupting this complex conversation, but let me ask something.... how easy it is to use/install these Audio Interfaces? and how easy it is to find them on shops? I'm not from USA, I'm from Brazil, but I'm going to Chicago and Vegas this month and I planning to go to Best Buy or something.. will I find this type of stuff there?

Edwardo Rothenberger

Look, we all know what you believe about mp3 vs wav, higher sampling frequencies and bit rates. You constantly bleat on about it any chance you get.

I believe many of us appreciate many don't notice any difference, but stop trying to ram your view down others throats with your ABX, double blind tests.

Just allow others to have their opinion.
Trey Brune
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Haha :P 'sok. I have a specific bias against people trying to make other people asking for help spend money unnecessarily... the fact is, if you want to use headphones instead of speakers, you can get a fantastic pair for
Vikki Falkenrath
Alphonso Deitchman

Mimi Mahaffee
No offense but have you even tested it yourself? true 192/24 material vs regular CD? Because there sadly is material out there which is not properly mastered, just a regular 44.1/16 converted to 192/24 and ofcourse they will sound the same then.

Both you and I know that there will not be any scienceproject to determine whether there is an audible difference or not because you wont earn any money on that.

I can speak for myself and 100% of the people I made a demo for so far.
Alphonso Deitchman
If there are no studies or evidence backing up the claim that SACD sounds any better, it does stand to reason that "everybody else can't".
Dannie Dimora
Dude, if you cannot discern CD from SACD or DVD-a that doesn't mean everybody else can't.
Edwardo Rothenberger
Boring
Alphonso Deitchman
Mimi Mahaffee
16bit gives you up to 120dB of dynamic range, which is far more than enough to cover the hearing range.
Wonder why most peope are able to tell the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit material then?
it's not a small difference, it's quite substantional.
However I'm happy with CD quality files of 16 bit, but if i had the oppurtunity to easy acess and store all my music files at 192/24 I would have them like that for sure.
Anibal Hoormann
Guys, I am starting dj-ing but I already use quite a lot Ableton, and I would like to know if for 100
Alphonso Deitchman
Mimi Mahaffee
44.1kHz already covers the human hearing range with some room to spare. 24bit (or even 32) is useful as headroom for recording/producing, but it really doesn't seem necessary or beneficial for listening to the finished product.

Actually there is a audible difference between a GOOD produced 192/24 and a 44.1/16.
It's not just about the numbers and what your ear can hear, it's about the dynamics.
Ofcourse you need proper gear to hear this and the better gear the better good quality source will sound.
Then it's just up to ourselves what money we can justify for our "hobby".

/audio enthusiast
Dannie Dimora
You don't see computer monitors boasting about how they can accurately reproduce microwaves
Sure you don't. So 16bit color and 6bit panels are just right i guess. Absolutely suffice all our needs because of course professionals don't use 32bit color with 10bit panels because there actually is a difference. Must be all placebo then..
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by R01

I can't believe we're discussing this. Unless everyone understands Nyquest theory and how sample rates and bit rates work then there's no point talking about this. You do realize there is a high-cut filter in place during sampling to rid the audio stream from frequencies above 20kHz right? That's called ANTI-ALIASING. Over-sampling (like at 192kHz) is done to make it so the high-cut filter isn't cutting so close to 20kHz, where we could hear some changes happening because of the filter. This is why people claim higher sample rates sound better. In theory 44.1kHz (according to the Nyquest theory/frequency) can perfectly capture all frequencies between 0-20kHz. Obviously at higher sample rates there is more sampling happening, which adds to the fire by suggesting that it would produce a more accurate waveform. In any case, 44.1kHz 16bit was chosen as a standard for a reason.

I have no problems talking about this (though it seems to be a never ending debate), but let's do it somewhere else guys. I doubt Daniboy is worried about 192kHz/24bit (or do I dare even bring up 32bit?).
As i replied earlier, i can identify a 24/192 recording from a 16/44.1 one. If the recording is good.
Also, i explained AA artifacts in one of my previous posts, and how cds, while technically able to reproduce up to 22khz, have a practical, artifact-less limit that is much lower than that.
Rochel Gleese
I'm planning to use them to hear my favorite podcasts and my Ableton mixing with maximum quality, specially the low frequencies
Yep
Rochel Gleese
Are you planning to use these studio headphones for mixing or producing? DJ/production sound cards often include a decent enough DAC+headphone amp as well as additional IO for other gear .

For quote above
Rochel Gleese
Every friggin thread I read on this community starts bagging people out for wanting to have higher quality gear. He said he wanted to do some production on Ableton not just listen to podcasts. $1000 is fuck all once you start getting into producing.

Some up of threads on DjTechtools.

Everyone should buy KRK monitors, buy cheap RCAs, HD25s and MP3s cause nobody can tell the difference anyway.
Norman Haraldsen
Get a Schiit M&M stack and a pair of he400s and you'll be set.
Alphonso Deitchman
There are a few good deals on decent headphones over in the Buy and Sell community at the moment. The pure sound quality you get from headphones isn't all that subjective, but you may need to try them yourself for comfort/ergonomics.
Vikki Falkenrath
Djing is a hobby for me, and from time to time I make these plans in my head, and keep believeing about them, searching on google and asking on community s till I realise it is the right or wrong thing to do.
My next step is boosting my capacity of understanding the tracks, and stop using my car's speakers to be the final verdict...
Actually $1000 is the maximum I will pay for the headphones and the soundcard, but with all the info in this thread I believe I can archieve what I want spending half of that.
I already own a $150 HDJ-1000, but is impossible to spend hours listening to music with it, its just unconfortable. I'm trying to find one that is extremely confortable and has an awsome sound quality.
Doreen Schurle
hahaha thanks, your podcast is not so bad too, I didn't mean to insult you bro, but after R01's giant-full-of-info-post, everything else just seemed useless hahaha

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy