Looking for a Controller to Use w/Serato

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Looking for a Controller to Use w/SeratoReply
Looking for a Controller to Use w/Serato
Posted on: 15.09.2013 by Reid Barreiro
Not sure if this is exactly the right section but here it goes:

As a mobile dj ive always found it quite cumbersome to have to bring my entire setup to SOME gigs (you know, those really little ones where you are well aware your not going to have a good time), and have always considered buying a second 19'' setup so i could have something portable that would be a breeze to set up at those kinds of gigs.
More recently i realized though that it would probably just be best to get a controller, which would be MUCH lighter than a 19'' rack setup and would be as easy plugging in a usb and outputs.
Im well aware of how many controllers are out there, and if i was looking for anything id just search any old site, but what im specifically looking for is something i can use with serato. I have SSL right now with the SL2 box so all my music is already organized through serato (all my crates, tags, etc).

My understanding is that Serato Itch is the software serato uses with controllers, as well as on Serato's site; they have Serato DJ (the second coming of itch?) both of which have controllers on the site listed with them. Im assuming that those softwares only work with the mentioned hardware on the site? (This is my main question). To use serato itch or searto DJ which are obv compatible with my SSL crates must i get one of the controllers they list on their site? If i can use other controllers, which of the serato softwares would they work for?

My criteria for the controller would be as follows: light (-er than a mixer n turntable setup), small-ish (the point is im trying to replace a table full of gear , so i prefer something that i could easily bring on an airplane) something where i still have decent control over the music (scratching is not a priority, but id like to be able jog thru the tracks as if i could scratch). Lastly ~250 US dollars. Id be willing to stretch to $300 but the only way i would do that is if the controller would be able to replace my regular mixer in the sense that id be able to use SL2 with it to use my normal CD decks, and i could map the buttons on it to trigger cues, loops and EFX in SSL. Im also not opposed to used gear if it will keep me in budget.

Reason i need this is because soon im going to be doing a few events far away, so ill be taking a plane and would like to not have to buy flight cases to lug my stuff around in.

Thats a handful i know, but thank you for your help in advance. I imagine those here can atleast lead me in the right direction.
Reid Barreiro
Not sure if this is exactly the right section but here it goes:

As a mobile dj ive always found it quite cumbersome to have to bring my entire setup to SOME gigs (you know, those really little ones where you are well aware your not going to have a good time), and have always considered buying a second 19'' setup so i could have something portable that would be a breeze to set up at those kinds of gigs.
More recently i realized though that it would probably just be best to get a controller, which would be MUCH lighter than a 19'' rack setup and would be as easy plugging in a usb and outputs.
Im well aware of how many controllers are out there, and if i was looking for anything id just search any old site, but what im specifically looking for is something i can use with serato. I have SSL right now with the SL2 box so all my music is already organized through serato (all my crates, tags, etc).

My understanding is that Serato Itch is the software serato uses with controllers, as well as on Serato's site; they have Serato DJ (the second coming of itch?) both of which have controllers on the site listed with them. Im assuming that those softwares only work with the mentioned hardware on the site? (This is my main question). To use serato itch or searto DJ which are obv compatible with my SSL crates must i get one of the controllers they list on their site? If i can use other controllers, which of the serato softwares would they work for?

My criteria for the controller would be as follows: light (-er than a mixer n turntable setup), small-ish (the point is im trying to replace a table full of gear , so i prefer something that i could easily bring on an airplane) something where i still have decent control over the music (scratching is not a priority, but id like to be able jog thru the tracks as if i could scratch). Lastly ~250 US dollars. Id be willing to stretch to $300 but the only way i would do that is if the controller would be able to replace my regular mixer in the sense that id be able to use SL2 with it to use my normal CD decks, and i could map the buttons on it to trigger cues, loops and EFX in SSL. Im also not opposed to used gear if it will keep me in budget.

Reason i need this is because soon im going to be doing a few events far away, so ill be taking a plane and would like to not have to buy flight cases to lug my stuff around in.

Thats a handful i know, but thank you for your help in advance. I imagine those here can atleast lead me in the right direction.
Annamae Debow
I'm wondering the same thing as DJ Eff...

I've been using Serato DJ and want to know whether there's a portable DJ controller. I really like the form factors of NI Traktor Kontrol X1/X1/F1 but don't want to switch over to Traktor just so that I can use these controllers. I've read that I can map the X1 to Serato but how well does it work? Any feedback? Other suggestions for other controllers? The Mixtrack Pro II mentioned previously isn't quite as portable as I would like.

Thanks.
Olimpia Briden
I've just bought a numark mixtrack pro II, it works out of the box with serato dj intro (the free version of serato dj, no recording functions etc.), it's pretty much mapped out with everything you need for a functional dj setup with the soundcard onboard, mic and 2 headphone sockets. It's much lighter than a single technics 1200/1210, just add a laptop, plug the line outs into an amp/other mixer and you're good to go.

Before I bought the numark, I hadn't done any dj'ing for about 10 years, so I'm used to using technics and an analog mixer, I was up and running in 5 minutes with the numark and serato dj intro. They can apparently take a beating too:

Skip to about 3mins in this one:

Whilst I really enjoy using the mixtrack pro II, serato dj intro is lacking a couple of things, if you want to record and have more cue points, samples, effects etc. then you'll want the full serato dj, you can also map other midi controllers like midi fighter on the full version, just like any other digital dj software.
Rolanda Clodfelder
Serato 1.5 (TBR) have consolidated the package into an all encompassing Serato DJ, so you can use the same software for both controller and DVS.

Serato Scratch Live
huh?

Can't you only map basic functions e.g. hot cues etc on SSL but not deck functions/platters which is why there are serato specific controllers/DVS to handle the transport and Audio routings?

The OP wants an All-in-one unit to use Serato separate from using the DVS system altogether from time to time.

Lastly ~250 US dollars
Thats really not a big budget to work with Numark Mixtrak pro 2 and some of the Reloop controllers will fit the bill though.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
you can map any controller to Serato Scratch Live so really anything will do. If you want rackmount and quality you cant go past the denon MC-6000, it will cost a bit more than $300 but second hand probably not too much more. For the extra price you get a high quality piece of gear that will withstand life on the road and as much abuse as you care to give it, a good quality soundcard, and I believe that you can now use timecode with VirtualDJ/mixvibes/mixxx/etc... with a firmware update. Not sure if Serato DJ supports mapping full controllers, if it doesn't that will probably change in the very near future when SSL and SDJ Merge.
Reid Barreiro
Also just want to clarify after reading something:
Can i get any non serato controller and just map the midi to make all the controls work? how would i make the output work?

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy