Possibly one of the best DJ requests of all time...

Home :: Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics. :: Possibly one of the best DJ requests of all time...Reply
Possibly one of the best DJ requests of all time...
Posted on: 05.01.2013 by Len Lukawski
Faustino Stringfellow
After reading this I though i'd add my little story, although over the last 30 years I've had many weird requests, but i class them as normal now . eg. asking for the wrong tempo track for the hour, wrong genre for the evening etc.

However one sticks in mind. Three years ago I was playing at the Atomic Caf
Faustino Stringfellow
After reading this I though i'd add my little story, although over the last 30 years I've had many weird requests, but i class them as normal now . eg. asking for the wrong tempo track for the hour, wrong genre for the evening etc.

Faustino Stringfellow

Faustino Stringfellow

Faustino Stringfellow

Faustino Stringfellow

Faustino Stringfellow

Faustino Stringfellow

Faustino Stringfellow

Faustino Stringfellow

Faustino Stringfellow

Lin Danek
Originally Posted by photojojo
Better then my story.
Thank you, but your's had the fairy tale ending.
Faustino Stringfellow

Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by JonathanBlake
During last evening 's gig about a third of the way into Thermal Bear's remix of Sasha's 'Cut Me Down' a gorgeous, sober brunette asked if I had Donatello & Torrau's version of the same song. I said "Yes, I do". She said "In my opinion, I believe it might make for a great mix if you dropped it as your next track". I said "Why, you a DJ?". She said "No, but you are". I did. It was a great mix.
Better then my story.
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by johney
Marry her and have childrem#EMDLOVESTORY
Working on that...
Matt Kane
I've told this story before, but I'm going to tell it again because despite my gruff demeanor I really am a sentimental old bastard. My first residency had a booth that sat about 8 feet above the floor. There was a select group that would wad up requests and throw them up into the booth where they would land on playing records. That kind of nonsense would piss me off to no end. The plus side is that after 25 years I still get to wake up with one of the chief offenders every morning.
i hope he is okay with the fact, that you are married!
Tatum Ansaldo
I've told this story before, but I'm going to tell it again because despite my gruff demeanor I really am a sentimental old bastard. My first residency had a booth that sat about 8 feet above the floor. There was a select group that would wad up requests and throw them up into the booth where they would land on playing records. That kind of nonsense would piss me off to no end. The plus side is that after 25 years I still get to wake up with one of the chief offenders every morning.
Awww, I'm welling up!
Sherrell Dargenio
Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk

3. ive only ever resorted to this once, but its the ace up the sleeve...one evening about 3 years ago a girl wouldnt stop pestering me to play some god awful shakira track...after she came up the 6th time i asked her if she thought she could do a better job...being drunk she said 'yeah course i can, so i got her into the booth, got on the mic and said something along the lines of 'im going for a quick break, and this moaning bitch is going to take over for a while' and handed her my headphones just as the track playing ended...naturally silence occured, everyone stared at her and laughed, she started to cry and ran off...never bugged me again
That sounds amazing, I'd never do it myself but I'd love to see it!
Ngoc Ninow
You get used to the odd bit of stick...mostly from stupid drunk bitches...theres a few lines i use to help defuse them though if the request is utterly balls and/or i dont have it.

1. I'll say yes i'll play it, then dont...if they come back complaining that i havent, i'll say, 'you must of been out for a smoke, or at the toilets, im not playing it again'.

2. I'll outright tell them its shit or i dont have it...they will usually start saying 'aw ur a shit dj for not having that...' at which point i just walk away and laugh

3. ive only ever resorted to this once, but its the ace up the sleeve...one evening about 3 years ago a girl wouldnt stop pestering me to play some god awful shakira track...after she came up the 6th time i asked her if she thought she could do a better job...being drunk she said 'yeah course i can, so i got her into the booth, got on the mic and said something along the lines of 'im going for a quick break, and this moaning bitch is going to take over for a while' and handed her my headphones just as the track playing ended...naturally silence occured, everyone stared at her and laughed, she started to cry and ran off...never bugged me again

and i also remember doing a top 40 evening , covering for a mate and a guy kept asking me to play bits n pieces, which is an oldskool dance track, around 140bpm...i kept saying no, the guy really started to mouth off at which point the manager actually came over to see what the issue was. the guy said 'this dj is shit, he wont play bits n pieces'...i was expecting the manager to tell me to just play it, but was surprised when he said 'if thats the shit your after mate, theres the fucking door...'

i laughed and all was good
Brilliant!
Lin Danek
Better then my story.
Thank you, but your's had the fairy tale ending.
Faustino Stringfellow

Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by JonathanBlake
During last evening 's gig about a third of the way into Thermal Bear's remix of Sasha's 'Cut Me Down' a gorgeous, sober brunette asked if I had Donatello & Torrau's version of the same song. I said "Yes, I do". She said "In my opinion, I believe it might make for a great mix if you dropped it as your next track". I said "Why, you a DJ?". She said "No, but you are". I did. It was a great mix.
Better then my story.
Random X
Excellent goings JonO.
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by johney
Marry her and have childrem#EMDLOVESTORY
Working on that...
Augustine Mitzen
Marry her and have childrem

#EMDLOVESTORY
Lin Danek
Matt Kane
i hope he is okay with the fact, that you are married!
Tatum Ansaldo
Awww, I'm welling up!
Leeanna Ayla
Sherrell Dargenio

That sounds amazing, I'd never do it myself but I'd love to see it!
Ngoc Ninow
You get used to the odd bit of stick...mostly from stupid drunk bitches...theres a few lines i use to help defuse them though if the request is utterly balls and/or i dont have it.

1. I'll say yes i'll play it, then dont...if they come back complaining that i havent, i'll say, 'you must of been out for a smoke, or at the toilets, im not playing it again'.

2. I'll outright tell them its shit or i dont have it...they will usually start saying 'aw ur a shit dj for not having that...' at which point i just walk away and laugh

and i also remember doing a top 40 evening , covering for a mate and a guy kept asking me to play bits n pieces, which is an oldskool dance track, around 140bpm...i kept saying no, the guy really started to mouth off at which point the manager actually came over to see what the issue was. the guy said 'this dj is shit, he wont play bits n pieces'...i was expecting the manager to tell me to just play it, but was surprised when he said 'if thats the shit your after mate, theres the fucking door...'

Brilliant!
Jonas Hanway
Originally Posted by davoh
Seriously I understand a DJ's job is to be the main-center crowd pleaser, but do you have to pretty much take the abuse or after the second time can you tell them to just piss off? Or would it just come down to the venue you're working for?
You've answered your own question there mate. Main-center crowd pleaser.
Playing a track for one drunken idiot won't appeal to the rest of the crowd.
I DJ house music, mainly funky/disco stuff. But will deviate from the norm when the place starts to fill...

I guess it depends on your relationship with the venue. If it was my first evening in a club, I'd be all smiles and yes' to the people coming up to the DJ box. You never know what reaction the club might have to how you react to the patrons.

But I'm the main DJ where I work and can get away with saying "no" "f**k off" "I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than play that song" and the management know this because if I believe a track will suit to what is going on.. I'll play it. If it doesn't, I won't play it.
Somehow I don't believe me dropping Ace of Base at peak time in a dance club is going to go down too well...
Tomiko Schellenberger
You are awesome!

My personal favorite response to repeated bad requests is "do I look like a f**king jukebox"

But THB most requests I have are alright, occasionally I get dumb top 40 or Skrillex requests at a Indie evening I regularly DJ at.
Random X
Edit post > double click image > Full size > OK > Save.
Antoinette Harbst

Random X
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
Haha, it's in a box of about 70 45s that I bought on eBay for
Lin Danek
Many an interesting DJ tale in the 'rainbow nation' along racial lines - like the time I was told that I play "a lot of black-sounding music for a white DJ" or after submitting a sample mix for a racially mixed club that they were "surprised to see that I am white". Go figure.
Teresia Janusch

Antoinette Harbst
Originally Posted by SquireC
I hate that.
I had a girl ask me to play N**s In Paris at 9pm. 10 minutes after we had opened.
Outright said no. She accepted.
Came back at 10, asked again, said no, far too early (I will not play the original as it's too fast, I play the Stanton Warriors breaks edit).
Came back at 11, she'd found out who the bar manager was and asked him if I could play it. Once again.. I said no, and said I would play it, if the bar manager came over personally and told me to play it.
Got to half 11 and she came into the DJ box in tears crying telling me I'm horrible and the meanest DJ she's ever met. Thought f**k it, played it.. people were like meh, not interested in a track like that so early.
She came back telling me I'm amazing and she's sorry, then asked for Notorious BIG - Juicy. Kicked her out of the DJ box and said don't come back! It was a house music evening ... Silly people.
Seriously I understand a DJ's job is to be the main-center crowd pleaser, but do you have to pretty much take the abuse or after the second time can you tell them to just piss off? Or would it just come down to the venue you're working for?
Antoinette Harbst
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
Haha, it's in a box of about 70 45s that I bought on eBay for

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy