iTunes Rant
Posted on: 23.01.2013 by Lin Danek
Anyone else remember when iTunes was a relatively good way to -
- keep your music organised
- put music on an iPod
- play the odd bit of music
- burn the odd CD
- do all the above simply and quickly
Now, in my opinion, it's a garish, overcomplicated on-line shop designed to sync all things Apple

Am I a lone voice in the wilderness?
Nestor Epper
Originally Posted by Nakkanen
My biggest issue with iTunes is if you live in Australia you pay double the price for songs than the USA. Now that really sucks, especially when you buy as much music as I do.
Thats really lame I wonder why that is? I don't buy much from them because they don't have allot of "DJ" music. But sometimes I go digging into the "apple core" and find a gem here and there.
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by KS2
I've hated iTunes for a good while. Before it was because it was so slow for me. Now it seems to be a bit faster but is horrible to use.
I beg to differ (on it being faster). Slow and horrible.
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by Jester
turn that genius crap off for a start. uninstall bonjour that always sneaks in with it.
Both done (hate the way you get 'reminded' that Bonjour is missing ). Also -
- uncheck all Sources in General tab
- uncheck all options in Store tab
- uncheck all options in Parental tab
- uncheck all options in Advanced tab
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by Karlos Santos
iTunes is way over bloated than it used to be but turn those annoying things off an its fine.
iTunes does the job that the bit of my brain should do but died years ago.
Everyone hates on iTunes. Ive tried alternatives but none of them integrate with Traktor in the way "I" want so i'll keep using it.
Your brain, or iTunes died?

I'm with you on the integration aspect, and until the last update was more than happy. My major gripe is it becoming over-complicated - what happened to Apple's 'KISS' principle? My second major gripe is the trend to optimising Apple product integration. As Apple's major PC beach head, they are marginalising the PC and Andoid user. I believe the iPod is a brilliant product and that iTunes was a brilliant ally. I don't want to hate on iTunes, I want it to stay lean and mean, and not become an online shop.

As per the post above Karlos - do you 'unbloat' in preferences/settings, or on installation?
Johnetta Olewine
iTunes is way over bloated than it used to be but turn those annoying things off an its fine.

Everyone hates on iTunes. Ive tried alternatives but none of them integrate with Traktor in the way "I" want so i'll keep using it.
What functions do you usually turn off?
Nestor Epper
Originally Posted by xs2man
To be honest, I don't really know. My tune collection is still in a right mess since the last time I installed iTunes. Well, that and the multiple computer swaps I have made recently. I just fire a playlist into a folder and scan it into Traktor whenever I want to play.
Folders just will not due for me. I rely on the ID3 tags way too much to go back to folders. Really I don't believe i could ever leave iTunes at this point because all of my automation would take forever to setup again because its been a non stop evolution with smart playlists to the point where everything is automated now. I just throw tracks in and tag em. Everything else is done for me by my smart lists.
Janyce Henningson
Originally Posted by JonathanBlake
And the heavenly alternative is.......?
I use VLC.
Tamela Batara
Originally Posted by DJ 2 Cut
Your the second person to tell me this. I am going to have to test out media monkey. I'm always happy to check out other option for sure. Does it integrate into Traktor at all?
To be honest, I don't really know. My tune collection is still in a right mess since the last time I installed iTunes. Well, that and the multiple computer swaps I have made recently. I just fire a playlist into a folder and scan it into Traktor whenever I want to play.
Nestor Epper
I get on quite well with media monkey to be fair.
Your the second person to tell me this. I am going to have to test out media monkey. I'm always happy to check out other option for sure. Does it integrate into Traktor at all?
Nestor Epper
There is none...

Are at least that is as functional as itunes
Nestor Epper
Originally Posted by Nakkanen
My biggest issue with iTunes is if you live in Australia you pay double the price for songs than the USA. Now that really sucks, especially when you buy as much music as I do.
Thats really lame I wonder why that is? I don't buy much from them because they don't have allot of "DJ" music. But sometimes I go digging into the "apple core" and find a gem here and there.
Tomiko Schellenberger
Nestor Epper
On what hardware? I've heard about people saying its slow for a very long time and I have never had any issues with it being slow. And I'm running it on a PC from 2007. Its snappy. Makes my smart playlists instantly. Starts 1080p video in a snap. Launches quickly.

Sounds like I'm one of the lucky few I guess...
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by KS2
I've hated iTunes for a good while. Before it was because it was so slow for me. Now it seems to be a bit faster but is horrible to use.
I beg to differ (on it being faster). Slow and horrible.
Lin Danek
Uninstalled and went back to 10.7. Like putting on an old pair of slippers - bliss.
Latina Samon
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by Jester
turn that genius crap off for a start. uninstall bonjour that always sneaks in with it.
Both done (hate the way you get 'reminded' that Bonjour is missing ). Also -
- uncheck all Sources in General tab
- uncheck all options in Store tab
- uncheck all options in Parental tab
- uncheck all options in Advanced tab
Latoria Kavulich
Lin Danek
Your brain, or iTunes died?

I'm with you on the integration aspect, and until the last update was more than happy. My major gripe is it becoming over-complicated - what happened to Apple's 'KISS' principle? My second major gripe is the trend to optimising Apple product integration. As Apple's major PC beach head, they are marginalising the PC and Andoid user. I believe the iPod is a brilliant product and that iTunes was a brilliant ally. I don't want to hate on iTunes, I want it to stay lean and mean, and not become an online shop.

As per the post above Karlos - do you 'unbloat' in preferences/settings, or on installation?
Johnetta Olewine

What functions do you usually turn off?
nayit ruiz jaramillo

Ming Devis
Win Amp is good on my PC. Haven't found an issue with itunes on my mac. Does what I need and I'm used to the way it works now.
Nestor Epper
Folders just will not due for me. I rely on the ID3 tags way too much to go back to folders. Really I don't believe i could ever leave iTunes at this point because all of my automation would take forever to setup again because its been a non stop evolution with smart playlists to the point where everything is automated now. I just throw tracks in and tag em. Everything else is done for me by my smart lists.
Janyce Henningson
I use VLC.
Tamela Batara
Leeanna Ayla
I installed the new iTunes on the computers I use except for my DJ laptop.
Nestor Epper
Tamela Batara
Nestor Epper
There is none...

Are at least that is as functional as itunes
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by Nicky H

Nice one...
Never installed iTunes on pc, never opened it on my mac - devil's software I tell thee...
Janyce Henningson
iTunes can suck my iCock...

Nice one...

Never installed iTunes on pc, never opened it on my mac - devil's software I tell thee...
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by JZed
I still use iTunes for my playlists in Traktor and I got no issues at all. However, I heard the last update was awful so I have no yet installed that.
Don't

Right justified in honour of Jester
Elmer Kindinger
I've always used it t sort my music files out. The only problem I get is it likes to keep jumping back to album art view every now and then.
Sherrell Dargenio
I still use iTunes for my playlists in Traktor and I got no issues at all. However, I heard the last update was awful so I have no yet installed that.
Lilliana Perris
Hate iTunes.....Wish it never existed!

Latoria Kavulich

Jobs. Steve Jobs

Post centered in honour of Mr. Blake
Lilliana Perris
Hate iTunes.....Wish it never existed!

Lin Danek
Originally Posted by 3heads
Hm, I guess it's a good thing I've been holding off with the update
Almost forced into it in South Africa - we have been unable to open iTunes accounts in South Africa right up until January 2013. For 'copyright reasons' - go figure. We only came online this year, and in order to 'benefit' from this, we had to update to the latest version. My last update was 2 years ago. I have watched the updates closely, and most have to do with optimising the sync function(s). I don't have an iPhone, iPad or Mac and never saw the need to update.
Lin Danek
I believe iTunes is the best option out there. Especially for a Traktor user. I have had no problems with it ever. No CPU spikes, No lost or missing files, Smart Playlists do their job to an awesome degree, I use one library across multiple PC's and Traktor Collections. Its just great. Its seems I am one of few.
Check out this link on a bit of iTunes knowledge:
http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=64248
Missed this one DJ2C - nice one - thank you.
Celestine Porebski
Hm, I guess it's a good thing I've been holding off with the update

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy