The Advantages of SYNC

The Advantages of SYNC
Posted on: 01.03.2013 by Jerica Salava
There is a lot of people out there who look at the SYNC button as a negative aspect of DJing.

I always tell DJ's who are starting out to learn to beatmatch by ear. It's extremely important.

If you don't, the train wreck will rear it's ugly head and bite you in the ass. Not all tracks will SYNC and not all gigs will have SYNC.

Before I used SYNC I would find myself concentrating on beatmatching and using most of my brain to avoid a trainwreck. Even though you are great at beatmatching and you believe it's on time, your brain is still "listening" for drift and your hands are ready to spring into corrective mode.

Now that I use SYNC (I press it once to match the BPM and then pitch bend to find the best rhythm pocket), I find myself taking off my headphones with confidence and concentrating on the mix in the monitors. This let's me observe the crowd and fine tune my levels, frequencies, loops and effects without having to worry about drift so much.

Just my observation.

For those who still hate SYNC. The best analogy I could come up with is this:

"It's like a chef looking down on you for using a food processor instead of your knife."

>
Mirian Gaura
Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel
What is with all the people who are saying mixing track A into track B is "boring"?
My personal opinion that's all. I can do it at small house parties or when I am just listening to new tracks but if I am doing a gig and I know the tracks I like to do build up, extend drops and play with EFX. Everyones different.

And why so much argument about beatmatching? It's a basic DJ skill. Instead of defending sync up and down, learn both techniques and quietly ignore what everyone else believes.
And I agree 100%.
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by sarasin
Strike 2 bru....
1st it was Bieber references....now its N Sync?
Yoh.....Haaibo....you aaare PAMBENI!
it's all about the JB's and the JT's - the children are taking over 'bru
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by JonathanBlake
'N Sync
Strike 2 bru....

Lin Danek
"Sync Hallelujah!"
LOL
'N Sync
Lilliana Perris
4 Deck Psy.....

SYNC!!!!!

2527_490446251023082_1987584681_n.jpg

150466_490445797689794_998270059_n.jpg

- Rockin out since TSP 1.2 -

Lin Danek
Originally Posted by padi_04
Spam doesn't translate that well into English
Spam doesn't translate well into anything other than irritation.
Nedra Fresneda
Originally Posted by kooper1980
You'll have to translate that into actual English.
Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by Victorst
Do you love what you job?
Sonja Roybal
LOL.....you view is so skewed and you are making up your mind with half the information.

Sync is NOT there to help you match 2 songs. You can use it for that, but that is not why it is there.

It is there, to allow you to take your mix to 4 decks. NOT 4 tracks playing at the same time...all the time. That is dumb.

You use 4 decks creatively and this is where Sync comes in.

Beatgridding is NOT just to have a tight sync...but to also help the software function to its fullest.

This means having your FX synced to your beats.

Ignorance......LOL.

Keep doing it your way mate....it obviously is working for you perfectly. So why tell us and give away YOUR technique?

Clearly its better that NI's idea's....
Plenty of dj's were playing on 3 or 4 decks long before sync came out. They did it by ear. It wasn't uncommon. I have no idea about the other shit you're talking about. I play drum and bass. I don't pretend I'm a turntablist. The music's already way too busy to get too crazy trying to emulate some controllerist video. I'm sure there's a video of some great routine from a guy playing drum and bass, but I have yet to see it.

You don't like playing from A > B. That's cool. I do. What's your point?

People who preplan their sets, kill dancefloors. Unless the crowd came to specifically see you, which they probably didn't, you better play to them and adapt.

I have no problem with sync. Do whatever floats your boat. Like I said, I use it from time to time. Beatless intros are pretty common in drum and bass. If the grid on a tune is off, I'll grid it. The easiest way I've found to grid a tune is to use temposync, manually match the beats/phrases, move the grid over till the phrase bar lines up and hit "lock." What's wrong with that?

Why am I not at the top? I never cared to be. I'm not that good. It's called a hobby.
Mirian Gaura
What is with all the people who are saying mixing track A into track B is "boring"?
My personal opinion that's all. I can do it at small house parties or when I am just listening to new tracks but if I am doing a gig and I know the tracks I like to do build up, extend drops and play with EFX. Everyones different.

And why so much argument about beatmatching? It's a basic DJ skill. Instead of defending sync up and down, learn both techniques and quietly ignore what everyone else believes.
And I agree 100%.
Caleb Demillo

There is nothing wrong with going out and just enjoying a set of music carefully selected, programmed and mixed.

Mirian Gaura
I see is as a time saving tool, that's all. Its not even always 100% right... sometimes it can be off, way off.... *ghost in the machine*

I use sync because its like a starting point, a preset and it gets you going but I always scan through the track in my headphones and look at the grid in Traktor.

I believe (and its only my 10 cents!...) if you press sync and just mix one track after another its boring, but if you are creating effects, looping layers through decks C and D, or using the Kontrol F1, Pioneer RMX or Kaoss pad, etc then it's great. You can spend a bit more time teasing the track and enjoying the crowd, music and atmosphere. It's that little time saver. It's not much but it changes the 'virtual' tempo, puts you in the right place with a preloaded cue point and sits and waits.... It doesn't make you a better DJ. it doesn't decided what track is best to play next, it doesn't stop you from using too many effects.

I learnt to beat mix on crappy old Sound Lab belt drive turntables and it was the best thing I ever did. The decks where shot to feck and I had to keep on top of the incoming deck every 16 - 32 bars. It took me a year to master it and it's like riding a bike. Once you learn it its something you don't forget in a hurry. I then went to the Manchester DJ academy and fine tuned my knowledge and picked up lots of tips - which really helped!

Now, when using my S4 (only had it a few weeks to be fair) there have been a few new tracks that have not been in sync and I have happily altered them and done it manually.

This is an age old topic that started when CDJ's firs came on the scene, now its happened again with controllers/laptops. It will happen again when something else takes over in a few years (god knows what it will be).

It's great that people hate the sync button. But its great that people are also using it and developing really crazy, multi layered and on the fly re-edits, mash-ups and pushing the "controllerism" thing.

None of us will ever agree which is better or worse because the methods are all good.
Lilliana Perris
YOH.....iz old...

HAHAHAHA
Lin Danek
Strike 2 bru....
it's all about the JB's and the JT's - the children are taking over 'bru
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by JonathanBlake
'N Sync
Strike 2 bru....

Lin Danek
"Sync Hallelujah!"
LOL
'N Sync
Lilliana Perris
"Sync Hallelujah!"

LOL
Lisa Lochotzki
Lilliana Perris
4 Deck Psy.....

SYNC!!!!!

2527_490446251023082_1987584681_n.jpg

150466_490445797689794_998270059_n.jpg

- Rockin out since TSP 1.2 -

Rolanda Clodfelder
And Sandwiches :P
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by padi_04
Nedra Fresneda
Originally Posted by kooper1980
Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by Victorst
Do you love what you job?
Lilliana Perris
I have a full time career too. This be my hobby as well.

I never said anything was wrong with the above etc. Was just saying why I use Sync and how its helped me.

I have been playing Fullon Psy for most of my DJ time and that too is very busy and complex.
There is no way io can juggle tracks and go ape like I can with other genres. I have found what works for me there tho!
2 decks...harmonic mixing....3rd deck with a potent hat loop....4th deck loaded with some shot samples.

Happy camper!

Minimal Tech crossed over into Electro....is what I am talking about in my previous post. I can do all the stuff I described...with this style of music.

I am not slating anyone or you bro....I am not pretending to be a turntablist either....by any means. I scratch at home!...for fun.

A - B.... I find is the most basic way of DJing. I have moved on from it. How....with the help of Sync. Thats my point and that is all.

No one said you were wrong....

I am outta here....shits getting twisted....as always.
Sonja Roybal
LOL.....you view is so skewed and you are making up your mind with half the information.

Sync is NOT there to help you match 2 songs. You can use it for that, but that is not why it is there.

It is there, to allow you to take your mix to 4 decks. NOT 4 tracks playing at the same time...all the time. That is dumb.

Beatgridding is NOT just to have a tight sync...but to also help the software function to its fullest.

Ignorance......LOL.

Keep doing it your way mate....it obviously is working for you perfectly. So why tell us and give away YOUR technique?

Plenty of dj's were playing on 3 or 4 decks long before sync came out. They did it by ear. It wasn't uncommon. I have no idea about the other shit you're talking about. I play drum and bass. I don't pretend I'm a turntablist. The music's already way too busy to get too crazy trying to emulate some controllerist video. I'm sure there's a video of some great routine from a guy playing drum and bass, but I have yet to see it.

You don't like playing from A > B. That's cool. I do. What's your point?

People who preplan their sets, kill dancefloors. Unless the crowd came to specifically see you, which they probably didn't, you better play to them and adapt.

I have no problem with sync. Do whatever floats your boat. Like I said, I use it from time to time. Beatless intros are pretty common in drum and bass. If the grid on a tune is off, I'll grid it. The easiest way I've found to grid a tune is to use temposync, manually match the beats/phrases, move the grid over till the phrase bar lines up and hit "lock." What's wrong with that?

Why am I not at the top? I never cared to be. I'm not that good. It's called a hobby.
Tesha Freudenstein
thread delivered
Lilliana Perris
Dude...be my guest.

My soundcloud link is in my sig.

Its really NOT THAT HARD.

Clever Cue Point layout for jumping around the track structure and Sample Points for FluxMode....for instant samples.

That ALONE....helps you to remix on the fly.

Play the track and skip the break....add the 2nd tracks bits in there instead. Or cue past the break and use Fluxmode to spice it up by adding little sample jumps.

Simple stuff mate....

You obviously should not do it constantly.... If I had to see a DJ scratch the ENTIRE set thru....its not cool. Overdo anything and it will sound like shit.

Less is more...and THINK about what you want to do.

I have found what works for me and it has made me 1000x better DJ than I was 3 years ago in terms of skills and abilities.

When I hear people hating others video uploads saying its PISS etc...I have the same response as you did. SHOW ME YOUR VID FOOL!?

Each DJ is different and find what works for them.

I would rather see an intelligent DJ that knows what he is doing with the software and taking it to the max....with class.

Look at Shiftee...Dubfire...etc....watch their vids and learn!

It is not that hard to do what they do in terms of using the software to AID them. Sure....they have years of skills built up etc and that is what allows them to move beyond A - B mixing.

4 decks is not about playing 4 tracks at once. Its about using the 4 decks. Anyway you can. Look how Hawtin does it.

Now take all of that....and put together the parts that you like.

I am outta this thread...should not have gotten involved initially.

Augustine Mitzen
i would like to see some of the sets you are talking about.

all that intelligent eqing, 'remixing on the fly' and stuff
Lilliana Perris
Oh agreed!

You should never overdo anything.

I was referring to DJ's who just fade the intro's and outro's or just do a standard transition at the end of a track.

I believe the track needs to be played...and a journey made.

I do what I do with class...not to overdo it.

Also...I don't play commercial stuff with vocals etc. So not mashing anything like that. I mean remixing on the fly and mashing...etc.

Not ONLY mashing....

Rolanda Clodfelder
I cant STAND putting one track on after the next. That is a jukebox.....

I mash and play 3 decks. Keep it fresh and new ....ALL the time.
Likewise (and no offense) I could not STAND going to a club where the DJ' "Mashes" tracks every 10 seconds, or ever 1 minute. Fun to watch for 10 minutes, but to dance to? ... It genuinely makes me feel sick to the core when I've ever been anywhere where the DJ Mashes to the point of walking out on more than one occasion. I prefer to let a really track selection and timing do the talking - sync or no sync? .. who cares it cant make you sound really good if you are really bad anyhow.

....yes most of my tracks are more than 7 minutes long.
Xiomara Woolworth
Originally Posted by balakoth
Ok and? That touched absolutely nothing on the text you quoted. Yes.. House is generally produced at 128... Which again is why we make the case, if you are beat matching 128 agains 128.. and most tracks only vary in 1 to 2 BPM.. if you arent beatmatching 4 on the floor kick drums in a short period of time you need to work on that skill. Or use sync.

Either way, I believe A to B Mixing is boring as snot, and I dont even go watch "DJs" who do it anymore. Club DJs are even worse around here, One MBP, one S4, 5 standard DJ transitions. I leave the club... the DJ happens to be on CDJs or Technics? If hes scratching then I leave faster (not a fan of it at all, to each their own). If not I still leave, two deck "Turntablism" might have been cool to me when I started listening 20 years ago..

But... this is why I like sync... THose willing to use it for a grand purpose, one to actually enhance performances then I am all for it. But how often do you really see that yet. (Ive seen some of the videos of Mad Zach etc, its cool hes pushing the boundry.. just not something I would be able to handle in a club setting)

DJing is a fad and it looks cool to people, and with the technology a one armed 3 fingered monkey could DJ at a club now a days.

To each their own. I mean Paris Hilton cant beatmatch and she makes more money doing it than most of us.

If you use Sync to A B Dj I normally walk out of the club... In fact if you arent using DVS for two deck mixing, I normally walk out of the club as you have nothing to offer my ears.

If you use it to layer sounds to create your own music, possibly even external instruments or in ableton.. More power to ya, id love to come see ya play out more so than a 60 dollar ticket headliner.

But honestly, this is like beating a dead horse, just like the pc vs mac debate
yeah dude you sound miserable... i believe you need to reevaluate if you actually like music or not.
Shawn Vanhaitsma
Originally Posted by 3heads
You don't actually like music, do you?
Nope, I like to go to clubs and listen to people butcher the music and drool on themselves because they mixed two records together.

But honestly, how did that retort even relate? I love music, but why go to a club to listen to the same thing iTunes can do for me? ::shrug:: Again to each their own.
Celestine Porebski
Ok and? That touched absolutely nothing on the text you quoted. Yes.. House is generally produced at 128... Which again is why we make the case, if you are beat matching 128 agains 128.. and most tracks only vary in 1 to 2 BPM.. if you arent beatmatching 4 on the floor kick drums in a short period of time you need to work on that skill. Or use sync.

Either way, I believe A to B Mixing is boring as snot, and I dont even go watch "DJs" who do it anymore. Club DJs are even worse around here, One MBP, one S4, 5 standard DJ transitions. I leave the club... the DJ happens to be on CDJs or Technics? If hes scratching then I leave faster (not a fan of it at all, to each their own). If not I still leave, two deck "Turntablism" might have been cool to me when I started listening 20 years ago..

But... this is why I like sync... THose willing to use it for a grand purpose, one to actually enhance performances then I am all for it. But how often do you really see that yet. (Ive seen some of the videos of Mad Zach etc, its cool hes pushing the boundry.. just not something I would be able to handle in a club setting)

DJing is a fad and it looks cool to people, and with the technology a one armed 3 fingered monkey could DJ at a club now a days.

To each their own. I mean Paris Hilton cant beatmatch and she makes more money doing it than most of us.

If you use Sync to A B Dj I normally walk out of the club... In fact if you arent using DVS for two deck mixing, I normally walk out of the club as you have nothing to offer my ears.

If you use it to layer sounds to create your own music, possibly even external instruments or in ableton.. More power to ya, id love to come see ya play out more so than a 60 dollar ticket headliner.

You don't actually like music, do you?
Werner Bile
Have you noticed that regardless of the subject, all of Love Rocket's threads turn out pretty much the same.
Lilliana Perris
ok and? That touched absolutely nothing on the text you quoted. Yes.. House is generally produced at 128... Which again is why we make the case, if you are beat matching 128 agains 128.. And most tracks only vary in 1 to 2 bpm.. If you arent beatmatching 4 on the floor kick drums in a short period of time you need to work on that skill. Or use sync.

Either way, i believe a to b mixing is boring as snot, and i dont even go watch "djs" who do it anymore. Club djs are even worse around here, one mbp, one s4, 5 standard dj transitions. I leave the club... The dj happens to be on cdjs or technics? If hes scratching then i leave faster (not a fan of it at all, to each their own). If not i still leave, two deck "turntablism" might have been cool to me when i started listening 20 years ago..

But... This is why i like sync... Those willing to use it for a grand purpose, one to actually enhance performances then i am all for it. But how often do you really see that yet. (ive seen some of the videos of mad zach etc, its cool hes pushing the boundry.. Just not something i would be able to handle in a club setting)

djing is a fad and it looks cool to people, and with the technology a one armed 3 fingered monkey could dj at a club now a days.

To each their own. I mean paris hilton cant beatmatch and she makes more money doing it than most of us.

If you use sync to a b dj i normally walk out of the club... In fact if you arent using dvs for two deck mixing, i normally walk out of the club as you have nothing to offer my ears.

word!
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by b1sh0p
Also, when would you have time to even practice a set? These guys are rarely ever at home. They're gigging constantly. They spend most of their free time in airports and on the road. It's about having a set of skills and knowing what tunes work with each other. They listen to a tune one time and believe, "this would go great with that one."

Keep believing that bro....

Lilliana Perris
Think about it. If somebody was meticulous enough to preplan all their sets, why would they waste time flipping through their record bag or cd wallet? Don't you believe they'd actually organize their tunes in order?
It depends on how they play.

Each DJ is different.

I cant STAND putting one track on after the next. That is a jukebox.....

I mash and play 3 decks. Keep it fresh and new ....ALL the time.

But...that is me.
Lilliana Perris
Sorry, dude, you're wrong. These guys are working in the same genre. Most tunes are within 5 bpm's of each other. It doesn't take a genius to match that quickly. I've seen turntablists do just regular mixes without headphones. I'm not talking about routines. I'm talking about just plain mixing. Seriously, go watch a Craze video. He can drop a tune on beat with complete accuracy any time he wants. Go watch an Andy C video. He drops tunes in the mix and beatmatches while in the mix. He doesn't have to precue a tune, match it, then drop it.

It's not that these guys are pre-planning every set. Most dj's don't. It's a bad idea for a variety of reasons. It's years of practice. They have acute ears. A lot of dj's get tunes sent to them that day and play them out that evening . How are you going to practice a set like that? Dance music is simple. Nearly every tune is built off the same structure.

really?

With this knowledge...you should be at the top....whats happening?

You say DJ's don't plan sets?
Those are the ones playing open format and gigs that are not that important.

EVERY professional DJ i know.....does prep.

Whether its getting all his tunes together for this gig or making DJ tools etc.

Playing one track after the other these days...is boring as SHIT.

But hey....each to their own.

You clearly KNOW what you talking about.
Lilliana Perris
Seriously? Go watch a video of Andy C, Randall or Craze (when he's playing a dnb set). All those guys beatmatch while already in the mix. It takes them about 1 second. Craze can drop a beat anywhere he wants it and manually match it instantly. It's called skill.

I'll use sync for beatless intros, but IMO, it's incredibly boring to use sync all the the time.

As far as beatgridding goes, I spent some time watching videos and these guys are taking forever to grid out a tune. All you have to do is temposync it and move the grid over while in the mix. It's so much faster. I was never even going to bother gridding any tunes until I discovered that method.

Ignorance......LOL.

Lin Danek
Originally Posted by Jester
the "slink" button
Is that slunk in the past tense?

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy