Defected mac

Defected mac
Posted on: 02.05.2013 by Patty Dauer
Hi guys,

i just bought a mac pro 10.8 2 days back. Is it normal for the mac to get luke warm within fifteen mins of usage and hot within an hour or is my mac defected?! Also my mac has a ram of 8gb. thought previously i was using a compaq with 2gb ram and now this mac doesnt feel as much faster. Like might just be a tad bit faster but no real upgrade i feel. Please help me out.
Nakesha Pasic
Clean it up. I work at my college's IT department and here is the gist of our go to scrub down.

1. Clean out your temp files
~\library\Caches\
and
~\users\USERNAME\Library\Caches\

Just delete everything in those folders, they'll repopulate on their own. If you don't know how to access the second Caches folder, go to finder and look at your menu bar on top. Click on "Go", then hold down the option key. You'll see a hidden folder appear.

2. Clean out Recycling Bin. You wouldn't believe how frequently people bog their rigs down with gigs on gigs of trash. Especially if you download music that gets autoloaded into iTunes.

3. Disk Utility and Repair Permissions

Pretty obvious, \Applications\Utilities\Disk Utility

3. Make sure all of your updates are current. Apple Security updates can really make a difference.

4. Applejack (http://applejack.sourceforge.net/)

This handy little fucker will essentially do what we just did in step 1 and 2, but on a far deeper level. It's a bit nerve wracking to use if you're not ready for it, but anyone can do it. Download the software and install like usual. You won't see anything in applications, but if its installed, you're good to go.

- Restart your computer after installing applejack.
- Wait for the Ding and enter single user mode (hold CMD + S)
- You'll see a bunch of code run down the screen for a second, and then you'll get a prompt.
- Type in "applejack AUTO" and respond "y" for yes for anything they ask.
- At the end you'll be asked if you want to restart or shutdown. Just hit the corresponding purple letter.

Sometimes this takes a little while to run its course. Also, when you turn your computer on for the first time after running it may take a while to boot up. It
Nakesha Pasic
Clean it up. I work at my college's IT department and here is the gist of our go to scrub down.

~\library\Caches\
and

Just delete everything in those folders, they'll repopulate on their own. If you don't know how to access the second Caches folder, go to finder and look at your menu bar on top. Click on "Go", then hold down the option key. You'll see a hidden folder appear.

2. Clean out Recycling Bin. You wouldn't believe how frequently people bog their rigs down with gigs on gigs of trash. Especially if you download music that gets autoloaded into iTunes.

3. Make sure all of your updates are current. Apple Security updates can really make a difference.

This handy little fucker will essentially do what we just did in step 1 and 2, but on a far deeper level. It's a bit nerve wracking to use if you're not ready for it, but anyone can do it. Download the software and install like usual. You won't see anything in applications, but if its installed, you're good to go.

- You'll see a bunch of code run down the screen for a second, and then you'll get a prompt.
- At the end you'll be asked if you want to restart or shutdown. Just hit the corresponding purple letter.

Sometimes this takes a little while to run its course. Also, when you turn your computer on for the first time after running it may take a while to boot up. It
Nakesha Pasic

~\library\Caches\
and

Nakesha Pasic

~\library\Caches\
and

Nakesha Pasic

~\library\Caches\
and

Nakesha Pasic

~\library\Caches\
and

Nakesha Pasic

~\library\Caches\
and

Nakesha Pasic

~\library\Caches\
and

Nakesha Pasic

~\library\Caches\
and

Nakesha Pasic

~\library\Caches\
and

Rolanda Clodfelder
Originally Posted by sagar4848
If i switch to the 64 bit of live 9 will it help?? willl my cpu load be less?
1. I would switch to the 64 bit version of live anyhow to be able to utilize all that ram.
2. I would stop worrying about the CPU load bars in applications unless something is "Actually" running slow
3. Check activity monitor for actual CPU/RAM usage (in /applications/utilities/folder)
4. If your mac is actually running slow bring it to any authorized apple dealership and have it checked out for free.
Dannie Dimora
Yea im using the 32bit version thought does that really make a difference? As in like why would they make 32bit available in the first place if it wouldn work that well? just asking.

Also does a mac come with warranty? Im definitely taking this to the mac store. Today precisely within 15mins it got hot. and i was just surfing. :/ God knows whats up with this x_x
Hm... a 15" non retina should be pretty cool... Maybe there's not enough thermal paste between the heatpipes and the cpu and it's therefore throttling to prevent everything from melting.. that could explain the slowness...

And yes, if it's new you better hurry so they can still exchange it with a new one instead of repairing it..
Dannie Dimora
Im using live 9 suite. Does that utilize more that 4gb?

Currently im running two instances of analog and a tension on the third and its max peaking at 21% now.
Along with these theres panning, delaying and slight compression and reverb on this. Im just worried because its not like im using tons of effects and heavy plugins. Ive just started the song so kinda basic stuff but its already at 21 so worried about the future.

And yes im using spotlight, shall definitely uncheck all the things there. Thanks for the help Deevey!

Live 9 is a native 64bit application, chech which version you are running , if it's 32bit, that might be the issue. Also, turn on multicore support in preferences, if you didn't already

And yeah my pc is a real beast :P
I need it that fast because i mount videos for some local filmmakers (apart from producing) , so i need both storage and speed It was originally planned as a gaming setup, but i rather opted for more ram and a custom TEC liquid cooling system
Patty Dauer
Originally Posted by deevey
Ableton 8 can only utilize 4gb of Ram (being 32 bit) unless you are using the beta 8.4

So far as I know the CPU is only measured on one Core in Ableton.

Depends Whats on the tracks ? .. synths, effects, clips etc ... if they are only Audio clips or Even full tracks you should not notice much slowdown, if you are running 10 instances of Massive, you sure might run into issues.

You have one of the highest spec macbooks out there, there is no reason it should not be super speedy unless you are asking the impossible from it, in terms of the amount of stuff running on your Ableton channels.

If are you running spotlight (which I guess you are) ? ... perhaps consider turning it off, it does help quite a bit.
Currently im running two instances of analog and a tension on the third and its max peaking at 21% now.
Along with these theres panning, delaying and slight compression and reverb on this. Im just worried because its not like im using tons of effects and heavy plugins. Ive just started the song so kinda basic stuff but its already at 21 so worried about the future.

And yes im using spotlight, shall definitely uncheck all the things there. Thanks for the help Deevey!
Patty Dauer
Originally Posted by Polygon
The quantity of ram does not directly relate to the snappiness of the computer..
Anyhow, it's weird that you don't notice a major difference...
Hey just saw your custom PC specs!! Wow! That thing must be a fucking beast!!!!
Nikole Resende
Regarding your MacBook getting hot really fast:

It's also important what surface you're using it on. The aluminium case is actually a part of the cooling system, so you want to make sure there's sufficent air circulation, especially on the bottom.

This particularly means using you laptop on hard, plain surfaces, so the laptop stands on its feet and there is a small gap between the bottom plate and the surface.
Worst thing you can do is using it on a soft surface (tablecloth, your lap,..) that prevents the air to reach the laptop.
Patty Dauer
Alright thanks a lot guys for all the help!!
Nakesha Pasic

~\library\Caches\
and

Rolanda Clodfelder
1. I would switch to the 64 bit version of live anyhow to be able to utilize all that ram.
2. I would stop worrying about the CPU load bars in applications unless something is "Actually" running slow
3. Check activity monitor for actual CPU/RAM usage (in /applications/utilities/folder)
4. If your mac is actually running slow bring it to any authorized apple dealership and have it checked out for free.
Patty Dauer
Rolanda Clodfelder
Also does a mac come with warranty? Im definitely taking this to the mac store. Today precisely within 15mins it got hot. and i was just surfing.
Yes they come with a global one year warranty,

If the websites you were surfing to were using flash (e.g. youtube) then your mac will get hot very fast.
Dannie Dimora
Yea im using the 32bit version thought does that really make a difference? As in like why would they make 32bit available in the first place if it wouldn work that well? just asking.

Also does a mac come with warranty? Im definitely taking this to the mac store. Today precisely within 15mins it got hot. and i was just surfing. :/ God knows whats up with this x_x
Hm... a 15" non retina should be pretty cool... Maybe there's not enough thermal paste between the heatpipes and the cpu and it's therefore throttling to prevent everything from melting.. that could explain the slowness...

And yes, if it's new you better hurry so they can still exchange it with a new one instead of repairing it..
Patty Dauer

Dannie Dimora

Live 9 is a native 64bit application, chech which version you are running , if it's 32bit, that might be the issue. Also, turn on multicore support in preferences, if you didn't already

And yeah my pc is a real beast :P
I need it that fast because i mount videos for some local filmmakers (apart from producing) , so i need both storage and speed It was originally planned as a gaming setup, but i rather opted for more ram and a custom TEC liquid cooling system
Patty Dauer
Ableton 8 can only utilize 4gb of Ram (being 32 bit) unless you are using the beta 8.4

Depends Whats on the tracks ? .. synths, effects, clips etc ... if they are only Audio clips or Even full tracks you should not notice much slowdown, if you are running 10 instances of Massive, you sure might run into issues.

You have one of the highest spec macbooks out there, there is no reason it should not be super speedy unless you are asking the impossible from it, in terms of the amount of stuff running on your Ableton channels.

If are you running spotlight (which I guess you are) ? ... perhaps consider turning it off, it does help quite a bit.

Rolanda Clodfelder
oh okay. Thanks for letting me know that. Yea but I'm definite thats theres not a major major upgrade from 2 to 8gb. Im guessing i might be wrong.

okay i dint know that too. Im looking at the ableton live cpu usage bar on the top right and that shows 25% already. Does that measure in 100% or 400%?

Also im worried about one more thing. i just started off making a song in ableton live and i had just created my 3rd track in it and i saw the cpu meter peaking at 25% already!!!!!! the main reason i bought this mac is to avoid cpu overloads. and now i can see it, that like within 10 tracks ill start cracking. Im kinda worried. I don't wan a spend so much money and yet be in the same place i was before.
Depends Whats on the tracks ? .. synths, effects, clips etc ... if they are only Audio clips or even full tracks you should not notice much slowdown, if you are running 10 instances of Massive, you sure might run into issues.

Patty Dauer
The quantity of ram does not directly relate to the snappiness of the computer..
Hey just saw your custom PC specs!! Wow! That thing must be a fucking beast!!!!
Patty Dauer
oh okay. Thanks for letting me know that. Yea but I'm definite thats theres not a major major upgrade from 2 to 8gb. Im guessing i might be wrong.

@makar1 okay i dint know that too. Im looking at the ableton live cpu usage bar on the top right and that shows 25% already. Does that measure in 100% or 400%?
Dannie Dimora
Alphonso Deitchman
Once you have an adequate amount of RAM (probably around 3GB in your case), adding more does very little to improve performance. Calculating disk usage is dependant on your hard drive, which is now the "slowest" part of your laptop and may cause bottlenecks for certain disk-heavy processes.

What are you measuring CPU usage in btw? Some programs calculate in 100% per core, so for a quad core 400% means full usage.
Patty Dauer
Hi guys,

Its a completely new macbook pro i7 non retina 2.3ghz 8gb ram. Sorry if said mac pro earlier.

I downloaded onyx and did that automation in it. i cant really afford to spend more since ive already spent so much on this mac so the SSD is definitely out of the picture. Hoping that now my mac would be snappier!

@makar1 by fast i mean like like its not super responsive in terms of usage. Like in the general daily working to perform any command its not very fast/snappy for 8gb. Since ive experienced 2gb on a compaq hence in comparison im talking. Like for eg it takes time for it to calculate my disk usage etc.

i dont believe i have much of an option with the heat. Seems as though everybody's mac tend to get hot so probably ill just have to do with it. :/

Also im worried about one more thing. i just started off making a song in ableton live and i had just created my 3rd track in it and i saw the cpu meter peaking at 25% already!!!!!! the main reason i bought this mac is to avoid cpu overloads. and now i can see it, that like within 10 tracks ill start cracking. Im kinda worried. I don't wan a spend so much money and yet be in the same place i was before.

Thanks a ton for the help!
Alphonso Deitchman
The CPU and/or GPU depending on your application will always be the producers of the most heat. Replacing the thermal paste between the processor and the heatsink can help reduce temps, especially with older machines.
Syreeta Piela
The thing that produced the most heat on my MBP was the hard drive - Spinning components = HEAT!

Swapping your HDD to an SSD will decrease the heat and give you a speedier system, all depends on how much storage you need as they are still expensive in comparison to regular HDD's.

SSD's also require less power to run which will help with cooling.
Alphonso Deitchman
Also is there any way to know like if its actually that fast or am i just expecting way to much from the mac. Like a test to see how fast is my mac running. Thanks for the help.
What do you mean by "fast"? Are things running slowly at the moment?
Dannie Dimora
'PITA' ???? Sorry im not sure what u mean by that

If you mean pity though i dont know now how do i completely re install osx...like i just got this laptop the way it is and am using it and ive already like installed everything etc. irrespective would you tell me how to reinstall it?

Also is there any way to know like if its actually that fast or am i just expecting way to much from the mac. Like a test to see how fast is my mac running. Thanks for the help.
Hehe PITA= Pain In The A** :P

Did you buy the laptop completely new?
Patty Dauer
You said 2gb ram in the previous rig. Judging by that, the processor could have been an early core duo, or even a single core celeron.
So an i7 with 8gb ram should be quite a lot snappier.
Would it be a major PITA to reinstall cleanly osx?
'PITA' ???? Sorry im not sure what u mean by that

If you mean pity though i dont know now how do i completely re install osx...like i just got this laptop the way it is and am using it and ive already like installed everything etc. irrespective would you tell me how to reinstall it?

Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by makar1
There are no "Mac Pros" with i7 processors. The only Macs that meet the OP's specs are the 2012 15" Retina+Non-Retina Macbook Pros
Oh i see. I wrongfully remembered earlier mac pros could be configured with i7s instead of xeons. My bad.

If he bought it new (OP said 3 days ago) then it must be the non-retina MBP, since the rMBP has been upgraded to a 2.4ghz default processor.
This however was something like a month or two ago, so he may have bought an used "older" retina one.
Alphonso Deitchman
There are no "Mac Pros" with i7 processors. The only Macs that meet the OP's specs are the 2012 15" Retina+Non-Retina Macbook Pros
Dannie Dimora
Just checking here, but did you buy it new or was it second hand ?
A mac pro can't be configured with a 2.4ghz i7 now, so it's probably an used early i7-equipped pro.
Unless OP meant macbook pro, that's a different story.
Rolanda Clodfelder
Just checking here, but did you buy it new or was it second hand ?

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy