Stop reading the forum and start mixing thread!

Stop reading the forum and start mixing thread!
Posted on: 29.11.2012 by Hanna Ridenbaugh
Thought this might be a good thread. Sometimes I can spend to much time on here and not actually practising mixing!

An occasional bump of this thread might remind some of us to do what we love. It's not all about the gear Someone mention new gear? Am I using the best gear? what if? and why not? blah blah blah you get the drift.

I can procrastinate all day. Tomorrow will be a better day to mix. I love djing, it's just procrastination is part of my character and I do it with everything.

Considering ther is over 70 000 members on this community and we only see a few mixes posted a day, get my drift?

Anyway got to setup my gear since last gig.

don't get me wrong I love this community .
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Never seen this thread before.

Originally Posted by Stewe
I use traktor more then 10 years (since Traktor DJ studio 2) and stopped practicing mixing two years ago This days I'm all about new effect mappin' tricks in to arsenal which pushes up my performance.
Kinda down with this... Spent all evening last nite re-mapping my F1 to emulate my Spectra and some DVS functions.

Although, since I'm doing more timecode gigs this summer I have been on the decks a lot more often recently.

S4 is never setup. Just goes to gig, stays in the hall, goes to gig. Prepping for my gigs is my practice, seeing how new music fits in the set.
I treat it like a job in a way (no that's not boring, it's actually good work practice) I start my prep at a certain time each day and do it till I believe I'm done, laptop on lap in the living room. If i get any ideas later it's there to add to. My gigging laptop is the only thing I take out of my bag.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by zimfella
it's not all about the gear
BLASPHEMY!

Try doing it without the gear
Wilbert Kulczak
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
does production count?

I honestly haven't really focused on making mixes to record and post in a while- while there are a lot of good ones out there I find it's quite a time commitment for people to spend 1-2 hours listening to a mix. It's hard enough getting people to listen to a 7 minute track.
It definitely does and I completely agree about getting people to commit to a listening to a full mix. I've posted up a few "Mix" threads as I've really never had any of my mixes critiqued by like minded individuals. Was fairly disappointed at the lack of any response to the threads I posted although they had plenty of views.

I'm new to the mixing and production world of music, but not music itself so I've been craving constructive criticism and was hoping to get some feedback from the community. Just means I'll have to start releasing more...
Lin Danek
does production count?
I honestly haven't really focused on making mixes to record and post in a while- while there are a lot of good ones out there I find it's quite a time commitment for people to spend 1-2 hours listening to a mix. It's hard enough getting people to listen to a 7 minute track.
This sure does X - loving this.
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by tekki
And thanks.
Emotionally wounded too Tekki - may just have to turn to serial killing.
Random X
Originally Posted by complete93
Maaaannnn, That Stormtrooper thread will suck you in!
Yeah, it's awesome like that.
Random X
Originally Posted by keithace
I'd love to get a second laptop for just that reason.
Same here... though my funds tneding to cut me back a little.
Random X
Photojojo, Keithace, Chlorophyll, NickyH and Gary Gary. First people that standout for awesome mixes.
And thanks.
Marion Reily
Originally Posted by muffintop
Where was this thread last evening , when I got caught in the Storm Trooper thread instead of making my minimal mix?
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by JonathanBlake
Realising more and more the privilege of having a dedicated studio that is always set-up and "ON" or "SLEEPING"
I'm definitely pushing for a room to put my stuff in when my girlfriend and I move in the spring. It was actually kind of her idea because she's getting sick of hearing my guitar while she's watching TV……despite the fact that I'm exclusively using amp modeling now.

I'm actually seriously considering building a desktop for the first time in over a decade. I posted something about the potential build and how much cheaper PCs are, and now I'm seeing some guides to getting OS X running on xen (a bare metal hypervisor). I'm 95% sold on just buying the whole thing and trying it……if I can't get it to work, I'll just return all the parts.

I'll have to give that a listen……been wondering what your rig sounds like. Unfortunately, my GF is already alseep, and I'd like to listen on real speakers.
Margie Pavell
Realising more and more the privilege of having a dedicated studio that is always set-up and "ON" or "SLEEPING"
Margie Pavell
Photojojo, Keithace, Chlorophyll, NickyH and Gary Gary. First people that standout for awesome mixes.
thanks!

I am working on one today as a matter of fact.
Jorge Furber
DJTT does take a lot of my time, but because I understand things when I read them, I count the time reading here as practice time, kind of the theory before the practical exam. I keep a folder of bookmarks of useful tricks and tips that I wan to try at one point of do or whatever and when I'm practicing, I pull those out and try to add them to my mixes. It doesn't always work but it's fun.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Never seen this thread before.

Originally Posted by Stewe
I use traktor more then 10 years (since Traktor DJ studio 2) and stopped practicing mixing two years ago This days I'm all about new effect mappin' tricks in to arsenal which pushes up my performance.
Kinda down with this... Spent all evening last nite re-mapping my F1 to emulate my Spectra and some DVS functions.

Although, since I'm doing more timecode gigs this summer I have been on the decks a lot more often recently.

S4 is never setup. Just goes to gig, stays in the hall, goes to gig. Prepping for my gigs is my practice, seeing how new music fits in the set.
I treat it like a job in a way (no that's not boring, it's actually good work practice) I start my prep at a certain time each day and do it till I believe I'm done, laptop on lap in the living room. If i get any ideas later it's there to add to. My gigging laptop is the only thing I take out of my bag.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Looking through my subscribed threads, this thread stood out and deserves a bump
Doreen Schurle
it's not all about the gear
BLASPHEMY!

Try doing it without the gear
Brunilda Kora
Originally Posted by Eric Zone
I literaly just listen to them twice: once online and once before moving it to my collection.
That's nowhere near enough. As a DJ, you should know the tracks inside out - how else are you going to know when the next breakdown is? You're also gonna miss out on a LOT of great tracks. Some tracks are just "growers", meaning they grow on you over time. Some awesome tracks aren't instantly recognisable as awesome - you have to listen to them over and over until you understand...

DJ'ing shouldn't be the only time you listen to music. You need to have times where you are listening to music passively - have it on in the background when you are doing other stuff.

When you're DJ'ing you are concentrating on the music - but you don't need to be actively listening to music to learn it.
Percy Delcolle
You're probably gonna hate me, but I believe of this community and Blog as a weekly dose of motivation. I love spending time here, and I spend it a lot reading. And it really helps me a lot. It's not this community that's my problem, it's the new music.

I literaly spend 3-4 hours a day trying to find some killer tracks for my set. Sometimes I hear a killer track every 10 minutes, and sometimes I don't hear a good track in a few days. Anyway, the tracks I like usually goes to my downloads folder right away, and my problem is that I got too much tracks in there! I sort them out in my collection once in a while, but when I do this, I analize them automaticly in Traktor and have no idea how they sound like! I literaly just listen to them twice: once online and once before moving it to my collection. And a lot of them I never play live. New music is some kind of addiction to me and I can't get rid of it, and I would love to be normal and spend like an hour or two every day actually practicing my performance or working on my EP that I plan to release before summer.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Wilbert Kulczak
does production count?

It definitely does and I completely agree about getting people to commit to a listening to a full mix. I've posted up a few "Mix" threads as I've really never had any of my mixes critiqued by like minded individuals. Was fairly disappointed at the lack of any response to the threads I posted although they had plenty of views.

I'm new to the mixing and production world of music, but not music itself so I've been craving constructive criticism and was hoping to get some feedback from the community. Just means I'll have to start releasing more...
Lin Danek
does production count?
This sure does X - loving this.
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by tekki
And thanks.
Emotionally wounded too Tekki - may just have to turn to serial killing.
Random X
Originally Posted by complete93
Yeah, it's awesome like that.
Random X
Same here... though my funds tneding to cut me back a little.
Random X
And thanks.
Marion Reily
Originally Posted by muffintop
Where was this thread last evening , when I got caught in the Storm Trooper thread instead of making my minimal mix?
Dorie Scelzo
I'm definitely pushing for a room to put my stuff in when my girlfriend and I move in the spring. It was actually kind of her idea because she's getting sick of hearing my guitar while she's watching TV……despite the fact that I'm exclusively using amp modeling now.

I'm actually seriously considering building a desktop for the first time in over a decade. I posted something about the potential build and how much cheaper PCs are, and now I'm seeing some guides to getting OS X running on xen (a bare metal hypervisor). I'm 95% sold on just buying the whole thing and trying it……if I can't get it to work, I'll just return all the parts.

I'll have to give that a listen……been wondering what your rig sounds like. Unfortunately, my GF is already alseep, and I'd like to listen on real speakers.
Margie Pavell
Sure production counts. Live sets help inspire me. I love when you can hear the crowd in the background.
Romelia Stankard
does production count?

Margie Pavell
Margie Pavell
thanks!

I am working on one today as a matter of fact.
Lin Danek
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Originally Posted by smittten
name and shame.

Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Johnv
Ding ding ding.

For a DJing community this site is too concentrated on what tools and tech is used to DJ rather that the outcome.
Well…that's a lot easier. There are a lot of shortcuts to having an awesome setup……mostly reading product announcements had having either a good job or high credit card limit. There are no shortcuts to being able to mix well.
Tiara Bastarache
Originally Posted by smittten
The words "Dj" "tech" and "tools" are somewhat of a giveaway.
That's a given, but the end is more important then the means here IMHO. You can only help out each other so much when answering questions.

If you aren't listening to mixes then why would you bother evening answering the questions.
Len Lukawski
The words "Dj" "tech" and "tools" are somewhat of a giveaway.
Tiara Bastarache
Originally Posted by mostapha
I'm convinced a lot of that is because there are a lot of people who never got there to listen to mixes
Alease Fitch
For me it's sitting in my room with no heating mixing at 6 degrees or sitting downstairs in a heated room browsing DJTT... :$
Matt Kane
there are months where i don
Len Lukawski
name and shame.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
I see what your saying. I tend to do the same. There is definitely certain members I always listen to if I want to hear a good mix.

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy