Photojojo's setup

Photojojo's setup
Posted on: 02.11.2011 by Leeanna Ayla
For whatever reason i don't have any pictures of the VCI-100 setup so pictures from my first blog post will have to do.

Kiyoko Wellisch
Those VU meters do look pretty bad.
Johnetta Olewine
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
The 68 is vile to the touch? I've not seen one in person, what's the issue with it? I'd imagine that with the insane price tag it would have the sweetest build.
not enough short faders, red LEDs and mediocre effects...
Kiyoko Wellisch
The 68 is vile to the touch? I've not seen one in person, what's the issue with it? I'd imagine that with the insane price tag it would have the sweetest build.
Hipolito Scionti
Originally Posted by mostapha
Pioneer is not where innovation is going to come from.
I dont give two fucks about "innovation" compared with delivering the goods.

These are the top of the range modern mixers that are out now to buy. We're not in the future we're in the here and now. Deep down it's a depressing list (one i've stared at for a while)

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/mixers?ord=DESC

Apart from the formula sound, which if i had a funktion one id get, the rest are ludicrously priced. The Rane 68 is vile to the touch. The Rane 62 is offensive. Also I don't use serato anymore so there's just no point to them...

DJ gear is over priced full stop.

I still believe that for all the features on offer (whether you are impressed with them or not) the 900 offers the most.

And that was all my original point was.

Over priced but offers the most features in that price range.

I'm certainly never going to convince you to say you likes a Pioneer mixer, those anti Pioneer blinkers are firmly on.
Dorie Scelzo
Huh, where did you hear that? I don't see how the IO has an impact on TScratch with the internal soundcard but if it means the DB4 mk2 has better IO I don't care
Repeating a rumor I read online…something about needing analog phono inputs on every channel or something. I really don't remember. It's probably crap and Pioneer just paid them not to certify it.

Originally Posted by MaxOne
Replies in Bold

Eh? There's significant upgrades from 800 to 900

Isolator EQsI believe that's irrelevant.
Built in Soundcard (TSP cert - 4-channel 96kHz/24-bit)and you still need to own another traktor interface in case the club hasn't upgraded yet, so that's a wash.
Link up with CDJ2000 - turns those platters red etc when played, quantised tooWho cares?
X PadWhich gives you a slightly different feel to controls that are elsewhere
6 x Colour FXthe 2 new ones suck
Liquid spill proof faders with P-lockThey're not spill proof…they're dust resistant…don't believe me, buy one and I'll meet you with a coke.
New additional FX:
(Improved ReverbAll DJ reverbs sound like shit, Spiralmeh, Slip RollMeh, Melodiceven JZ cant make it sound good, MIDI LFOthat one's cool)

Its over priced, but it's an update.It's a marginal update for an increased price

I'd love to love the DB4 but it just fails on too many factors and I'll be damned to let prejudice blind me from that.I'd agree with you on that one. The DB4 is still an overpriced piece of shit to lure A&H fanboys into new gear. But at least they tried something they hadn't done before. The 900 is just an obvious evolution of the 800.

NO POST FADER FX!??? Fuck that at that price.Yeah……
Seriously…they both suck for the price. But Pioneer is not where innovation is going to come from. They're on top of the world. All they have to do is convince enough people not to believe like I do that clubs are still installing them and they'll keep their brand image.

If something like the DB4 upsets their club market share, then maybe they'll start paying their R&D team again. If no one complains about the DB4mk2, expect Pioneer to come out with something awesome soon after. But it's a few years off.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Spill proof eh? I didn't know that, very cool

I wonder if they can add post fader FX with a firmware update. I must admit I don't have a clue how these things work.
Hipolito Scionti

Personally, I'd consider them both really overpriced for what they do. But the DB4 is less depressingly just the same thing with a different number on the box and a new and improved (for the company) price tag.
Eh? There's significant upgrades from 800 to 900

Isolator EQs
Built in Soundcard (TSP cert - 4-channel 96kHz/24-bit)
Link up with CDJ2000 - turns those platters red etc when played, quantised too
X Pad
6 x Colour FX
Liquid spill proof faders with P-lock
New additional FX:
(Improved Reverb, Spiral, Slip Roll, Melodic, MIDI LFO)

Its over priced, but it's an update.

I'd love to love the DB4 but it just fails on too many factors and I'll be damned to let prejudice blind me from that.

NO POST FADER FX!??? Fuck that at that price.
Kiyoko Wellisch
If I understand correctly, it's something to do with the insanely limited IO.
Huh, where did you hear that? I don't see how the IO has an impact on TScratch with the internal soundcard but if it means the DB4 mk2 has better IO I don't care
Kiyoko Wellisch
> Na. A wicked tune will have all the fx and production the producer intended. The last thing I want to hear on a good tune is it being altered by FX. Doesn't matter how good they are.
I would agree but there's more to it than that- If I were just playing a track I would not want to use effects. I desire to use effects in order to help my tracks blend together or to alter them so they fit better within the context of the mix.

> Expand please? At a gig the less wires to set up the bettr no?
When you use software that doesn't use a proprietary soundcard you never worry about it. You just plug and play (assuming you have the drivers). With Traktor/Serato you have to worry whether or not they have a certified interface. There's no technical reason why they have to use those cards, it's just because someone in a suit said so.
Dorie Scelzo
in my experience anything that gives instant gratification is going to be a load of shit. It means it has some nice sounding aggressive presets that don't give you much to play with.
I agree wholeheartedly.

I still want to know why NI gave the go ahead to the older Xones but not thing one.
If I understand correctly, it's something to do with the insanely limited IO.

Personally, I'd consider them both really overpriced for what they do. But the DB4 is less depressingly just the same thing with a different number on the box and a new and improved (for the company) price tag.

(@50 seconds)
Hipolito Scionti
> Too much FX makes a shit mix. so colour fx on all 4 channels plus other unit is more than enough IMO
See normally I'd agree with you but the DB4 effects are just so god damn nice that I believe you could have effects running on every channel and still be pretty good. - Na. A wicked tune will have all the fx and production the producer intended. The last thing I want to hear on a good tune is it being altered by FX. Doesn't matter how good they are.

Something I forgot to mention was the fact it also has a loop recorder on every channel which is pretty neat! I got one of those on traktor/any software. Loops a loop

> Matter of opinion. I had a go on DB4 fx and I thought they were good but hard to use and get instant gratification out of.
See that's it, in my experience anything that gives instant gratification is going to be a load of shit. It means it has some nice sounding aggressive presets that don't give you much to play with. - I mean that's just nonsense. Either the preset fx is good or shit. Just cause its a preset doesn't make it shit. The Xone 92 filters doen't have loads of control. They just sound good.

> You can use it as a soundcard for anything. Ableton, Logic, whatever but also has TSP cert when needed/wanted
Yeah I guess it's nice for TScratch users. I still want to know why NI gave the go ahead to the older Xones but not thing one. - Me neither but they did. Don't hate the player, hate the game

> I liek the idea of getting all my drivers for DJM900 sorted and being able to rock up and plug in and use. Never gonna happen with the DB4
I believe it's shameful that you even have to worry about that to start with. - Expand please? At a gig the less wires to set up the bettr no?
Kiyoko Wellisch
> They're digital reproductions. They are nice but actually believe the DJM900 filters are decent IMO.
Ah that's a shame. I kinda hoped they had a little internal effects loop with them on.

> Too much FX makes a shit mix. so colour fx on all 4 channels plus other unit is more than enough IMO
See normally I'd agree with you but the DB4 effects are just so god damn nice that I believe you could have effects running on every channel and still be pretty good.
Something I forgot to mention was the fact it also has a loop recorder on every channel which is pretty neat!

> Matter of opinion. I had a go on DB4 fx and I thought they were good but hard to use and get instant gratification out of.
See that's it, in my experience anything that gives instant gratification is going to be a load of shit. It means it has some nice sounding aggressive presets that don't give you much to play with.

> You can use it as a soundcard for anything. Ableton, Logic, whatever but also has TSP cert when needed/wanted
Yeah I guess it's nice for TScratch users. I still want to know why NI gave the go ahead to the older Xones but not thing one.

> I liek the idea of getting all my drivers for DJM900 sorted and being able to rock up and plug in and use. Never gonna happen with the DB4
I believe it's shameful that you even have to worry about that to start with.
Hipolito Scionti
Advantages of the DB4:

New filter EQ thing - Ok yeah, but not something i'd miss
Phono inputs on every channel - Personally would never need more than two
Turns into a rotary mixer at the press of a button - Yeah ok, but have decided i like line faders more truthfully
Badass xone filters - They're digital reproductions. They are nice but actually believe the DJM900 filters are decent IMO. Also I'm believeing of getting one of these for my analogue filter action http://www.vermona.com/index.php/en_actionfilter3.htmlNB I'll be able to use this because the 900 has a send/return
4 full effects units rather 1 and a bit. -Too much FX makes a shit mix. so colour fx on all 4 channels plus other unit is more than enough IMO. Also very intuitive to use on DJM900
The effects make the DJMs seem like a bad joke - Matter of opinion. I had a go on DB4 fx and I thought they were good but hard to use and get instant gratification out of. Also as I said FX are not the deal breaker for me. And I doubt any punter or most DJs would agree re DJM900 FX. I'm not too fussed what the tiny tiny minority of Xone fanboys / anti Pioneer brigade believe.

Traktor cert is worthless to me, I don't use software locked to a proprietary out of principle. - You can use it as a soundcard for anything. Ableton, Logic, whatever but also has TSP cert when needed/wanted

I agree that the I/O is a joke though, it's a shame since the 92 is pretty damn sweet for that. 2 FX loops? awwwhh yeaaaah

I believe one of the reasons why I'm more OK with the price of the DB4 than the price of the DJM900 is that the 900 brings little new to the table while I feel the DB4 is really pushing the boundaries and may have an sizeable impact on what we see on future mixers. - That may be but we're not in the future we're in the here and now and it doesn't warrant the price tag for trying but not quite delivering. Xone 92s were the alternative to the DJM800 and probably a better mixer and were found in many clubs. The Xone DB4 is nowhere to be seen because it's a bit of a fail. I liek the idea of getting all my drivers for DJM900 sorted and being able to rock up and plug in and use. Never gonna happen with the DB4
have answered my opinions in bold ^^
Kiyoko Wellisch
Advantages of the DB4:

New filter EQ thing
Phono inputs on every channel
Turns into a rotary mixer at the press of a button
Badass xone filters
4 full effects units rather 1 and a bit.
The effects make the DJMs seem like a bad joke

Traktor cert is worthless to me, I don't use software locked to a proprietary out of principle.
I agree that the I/O is a joke though, it's a shame since the 92 is pretty damn sweet for that. 2 FX loops? awwwhh yeaaaah

I believe one of the reasons why I'm more OK with the price of the DB4 than the price of the DJM900 is that the 900 brings little new to the table while I feel the DB4 is really pushing the boundaries and may have an sizeable impact on what we see on future mixers.
Hipolito Scionti
You believe that a DJM900 is better value for money than a DB4?
100%

Advantages of DJM900:

TSP Cert = Check
Enough INs/OUTs = Check
Send/Return = Check
Will actually be found in a club set up = Check

Things on both I'd want

Isolator EQs
Filters on every channel (Hi Pass/Lo Pass filters are much mproved on the 900 > 800)
Echo FX (I like Dub Echo on the Colour FX too)
Midi Mode
High Quality Built In Sound card

Advantages of DB4

?

I'm not sure what the DB4 offers that the 900 doesn't apart from "studio quality" fx. I'm not that into FX anyway so certainly wouldn't spend
Kiyoko Wellisch
You believe that a DJM900 is better value for money than a DB4?
Hipolito Scionti
Except every single product Pioneer makes.
Well... a DB4 is dearer than a DJM900.

The DJM900 has a lot more to offer in terms of functionality.

So I'd still say the DB4 is even more "over priced". So I maintain, nothing more "over priced"

Pioneer gear is over priced no doubt though.
Terra Merigold
Looks good man. I have the x1600 too. Love it, great for scratching too. Your custom keyboard coloring is a great idea. I use a bcr2000 for daw mapping similar, have all my shortcut commands mapped to buttons.
Latoria Kavulich
Originally Posted by photojojo
Mixer shows up added a second monitor and build an Ikea booth.

good stuff mate

I'm actually about to pick up a 1600 myself to replace our aging djm600, so my setup will look very similar to this with the 2 x1's and midifighter 3d, except we have the cdj's.
Alaine Helgoth
Lol
Inez Marcinik
+1
Kiyoko Wellisch
ziiiing!
Dorie Scelzo
Nothing more overpriced than a db4
Random X
The 1600 was a great mixer, but I just sold it. I find I didn't need all the midi functions because I use two X1's. I haven't replaced it yet because I'm not sure what I want to get. It's between a Xone 92 and DB4. I'm trying really hard to justify the cost of the DB4, but that's getting harder and harder to do.
Why not go for a DB2 instead?
Kandy Ahdoot
apart from a db7

Hipolito Scionti
I'm trying really hard to justify the cost of the DB4, but that's getting harder and harder to do.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by undrtow218
How are you liking the DNX1600? I am looking at getting one and possibly using it with Ableton + my APC40 or with Traktor.
The 1600 was a great mixer, but I just sold it. I find I didn't need all the midi functions because I use two X1's. I haven't replaced it yet because I'm not sure what I want to get. It's between a Xone 92 and DB4. I'm trying really hard to justify the cost of the DB4, but that's getting harder and harder to do.

Originally Posted by Ed Paris
noob!
I bow down to the master.
Random X
Hahahaahaha, that could only come from you, mein freund!
Matt Kane
some creative keyboard coloring.

noob!
Wanita Knudson
Mixer shows up added a second monitor and build an Ikea booth.

How are you liking the DNX1600? I am looking at getting one and possibly using it with Ableton + my APC40 or with Traktor.
Brande Baiocco
Thanks
Leeanna Ayla
I'll get some pics of it later.
Brande Baiocco
One with a vika Ammon table top added on top and raised four inches. This gives me some overhang so I can use a stool when I want to sit at the setup like it's a desk.
Have you got any pics of your booth as thats what I'm wanting to build so wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like.
Dorie Scelzo
That's actually kinda cool. If it's raised, it also gives you some space for cables.

I might have to do that.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by Ashigari
is your booth 2 expedits deep or just one with a plate added on top?
One with a vika Ammon table top added on top and raised four inches. This gives me some overhang so I can use a stool when I want to sit at the setup like it's a desk.
Patty Mcgilbra
is your booth 2 expedits deep or just one with a plate added on top?
Madge Kratina
Found a laptop stand at goodwill for $5
WHAT!? >< Thats so awsome!
Tillie Sliman
It's great. Scratch certification is a big bonus plus its got loads of midi for all kinds of stuff. Honestly though with two X1's I don't use all the midi available on the mixer.
I figured I'd map the filters to the MIDI section and call it good, but you've pretty much described what I'm going for with at least one X1, scratch certified mixer and techs.
Leeanna Ayla
It's great. Scratch certification is a big bonus plus its got loads of midi for all kinds of stuff. Honestly though with two X1's I don't use all the midi available on the mixer.
Tillie Sliman
How's that DNX1600 treating you? I can't decide if I want that or if I should just be a sheep and get a Pioneer.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy