Photojojo's setup

Photojojo's setup
Posted on: 02.11.2011 by Leeanna Ayla
For whatever reason i don't have any pictures of the VCI-100 setup so pictures from my first blog post will have to do.

Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by Rukks
I have no idea why they didn't add cues for C/D on the mixer.
They want to prevent the faceplate becoming busy. There's plenty of other stuff you would put in before PFL buttons and it'd start to look more like your average busy midi controller.
Lang Abriel
Originally Posted by zimfella
but can you cue the aux input channel so you know basically what you gonna play?
I've been believeing about this too and I doubt that you can, however, you could always sacrifice one deck since not many of us need 5 inputs.

If your routing a digital source to that channel then you could just add a cue button on your midi controller for the other digital source (im believeing ableton)
Leeanna Ayla
cheers Photojojo

sorry one last question (maybe ) , do you wish you still had an aux send / return to use analogue gear efx units?
Nope. I know it's not exactly the same but the Z2 has on Aux in RCA's that are routed through the mic channel. So if I have other gear I want to run as long as I can get audio out of whatever it is I can run it through the mixer and not lose a channel in Traktor.
Leeanna Ayla
still gonna grab a DB2 given the chance?
I'm not as hot for one now that I have this. if I could find someone to let me borrow a DB2 or DB4 for a month I might change my mind though.
Dick Korus
Hey Photojojo

how you getting on with the Z2? Is it worth it over a xone mixer and soundcard?
+1 on this question.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by photojojo
I'm more of a Case IH man actually.
Ah yeh, real man's tractors.

Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by Rukks
I have no idea why they didn't add cues for C/D on the mixer.
They want to prevent the faceplate becoming busy. There's plenty of other stuff you would put in before PFL buttons and it'd start to look more like your average busy midi controller.
Lang Abriel
but can you cue the aux input channel so you know basically what you gonna play?
I've been believeing about this too and I doubt that you can, however, you could always sacrifice one deck since not many of us need 5 inputs.

If your routing a digital source to that channel then you could just add a cue button on your midi controller for the other digital source (im believeing ableton)
Albertina Fay
hey photojojo, do you mind posting up some good pics on the expedit, tv stand and the tabletop? Please..

I have been getting some ideas by looking at some different setups. I like the fact that you only used one expedit. right now I am using a plastic 4' foot table with adjustable legs, but I want to use something nicer, since the setup is in the livingroom of my one bedroom apartment.
Armando Chrystal
not trying to jack the thread just wanted to ask you how do the K2s feel compared to the X1s with the buttons, knobs, encoders? i was believeing of replacing my X1s with K2s and was trying to get some feedback from someone that used both
Judi Sissel
Photo- You look at the For Sale community lately?
Shad Rametta
As someone who used to own the X1600, and currently owns the Z2, how would you say that they compare as
far as sound quality is concerned? I am on the fence about which one to get, and it's starting to drive me nutty!
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Leeanna Ayla
Feel free to ask away on anything else. I'm not bothered by it.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
thats pretty cool, did not know that, cheers
Leeanna Ayla
cheers Photojojo

sorry one last question (maybe ) , do you wish you still had an aux send / return to use analogue gear efx units?
Nope. I know it's not exactly the same but the Z2 has on Aux in RCA's that are routed through the mic channel. So if I have other gear I want to run as long as I can get audio out of whatever it is I can run it through the mixer and not lose a channel in Traktor.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
cheers Photojojo

Tatum Ansaldo
You're welcome over at my place any time
Leeanna Ayla
I'm not as hot for one now that I have this. if I could find someone to let me borrow a DB2 or DB4 for a month I might change my mind though.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Leeanna Ayla
I love it. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it due to be crazy busy with various things. The paint is coming off the faceplate where the faders are, but NI has already said this will be a warranty issue. I've been using the X1 rather than the K2 mostly because its a straight forward no mapping required setup. The F1 is only for remix decks and I don't use it for anything else. The K2 is nice, my biggest complaint with it though is lack of center detent on the knobs.

It's not a DB series mixer so no it doesn't compare to that. I believe it's worth every bit. if not more than what they're selling it for though. There's some quirks with it due to its tight integration with Traktor, but you learn to live with those and they are there for a reason. Things like auto gain and EQ/filter modes having to be changed every time you open Traktor.
Dick Korus
Hey Photojojo

+1 on this question.
Judi Sissel
While you're at it, thoughts on the X1/F1 combo over The K2. Maybe just the X1 vs the K2.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Hey Photojojo

Tatum Ansaldo
Ah yeh, real man's tractors.

Makkins Clifton
Very sexy, indeed.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
looking dope!
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by tekki
Should I be calling you John Deere from now on, as you got so much Traktor going on at your place?
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by tekki
Should I be calling you John Deere from now on, as you got so much Traktor going on at your place?
Sounds like another rap battle coming on....
Random X
The K2 isn't in the picture because I haven't really figured out how I want to use it.

Erich Vallabhaneni
sweet setup there Photo. Diggin the Z2?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Ooooh pretty!
Leeanna Ayla
The K2 isn't in the picture because I haven't really figured out how I want to use it.

Leeanna Ayla
Not mucking anything up here. I'm going with the Z2 for now, but if I see another DB2 for $1300 like I did a few weeks ago I might just jump. I can live without the looper, but I really like those big fat filter knobs.
Judi Sissel
Flux mode. Keyword was bit , as in tiny. lol

With respects to both mixers flux mode really steps into the place of the roll feature on the DB4 looper. With some creativity you could mimic the way it works in full. Of course its not exactly the same (sampling), but there are some benefits with it being performed through the software. As you may know, the looper on the DB4 can be unforgiving at times, even when midi-synced.

Of course this only bridges one gap, but the DB2 and -2 series have other great offerings that the DB4 may not or will not get- send and return, cascading effects.... cheaper, lol.

Sorry to muck up your thread Photo. Is any of this working?
Tatum Ansaldo
How so?
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Exactly. It's a bit of a sucky situation
I'd like to believe with the 2.6 update, the gap between DB4 and the 92(or alike) or DB2 has gotten a bit smaller.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Exactly. It's a bit of a sucky situation
Tatum Ansaldo
The unfortunate thing about the DB2 is that to make it cheaper they had to artificially make it worse than it could be. I mean, as far as I know the DSPs are the same, and outside both mixers are basically just control surfaces for the DSP, so to make a version of the DB4 at a lower price point it had to be noticeably less feature rich.

It's kinda like the Porsche cayman, could have been an awesome car but had to be made mediocre so people would still buy 911s.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Aye, I look at the DB2's VU meters and feel a little bit cheated.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy