Photojojo's setup

Photojojo's setup
Posted on: 02.11.2011 by Leeanna Ayla
For whatever reason i don't have any pictures of the VCI-100 setup so pictures from my first blog post will have to do.

Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Thoughts on the DB2 vs DB4? It's a still a lot of money but seems a little more realistic.
Speaking as someone who was very tempted by the DB2 but found a great deal on a DB4, I believe the 2 has a lot going for it. The things I'd miss are the full length VU meters, selectable EQ modes per channel and loopers.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Thoughts on the DB2 vs DB4? It's a still a lot of money but seems a little more realistic.
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by photojojo
It's just really hard for me to convince myself I need to spend that much money.
I said the same thing to myself. Then overly convinced myself that I would just end up taking enough loses jumping from A - X(one) mixer. OK, maybe it was an out right excuse, but the mixer has definitely proven to be amazing now and with the support from A&H.
Tatum Ansaldo
Lay on a club evening and I'll bring it down
Kiyoko Wellisch
I'll accept a demo FEP :P

edit: actually this is a terrible idea. I don't need to lust over that thing any more than I already do.
Tatum Ansaldo
I wish we lived on the same continent, then I could invite you over and convince you why it's streets ahead of any other mixer out there. Maybe djproben can help.
Leeanna Ayla
It's just really hard for me to convince myself I need to spend that much money.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by DarioJ
If I may say so- I believe you should just get yourself the mixer you want :cough: Xone :cough:
Seconded! There should be more good stuff in the way of K2-DB4 integration in the pipeline too.
Judi Sissel
The K2's are great, I'm just a mixer kind of guy. Always have been and I guess always will be.
If I may say so- I believe you should just get yourself the mixer you want :cough: Xone :cough:
Lin Danek
the 'Mstr' labels in the 2nd row are not straight Chris
Leeanna Ayla
The K2's are great, I'm just a mixer kind of guy. Always have been and I guess always will be.
Judi Sissel
HAHA... Congrats?

Did the K2's not live up to what they were mapped to be?
Leeanna Ayla
Been lacking in updating. Sold my DNX1600 about a year ago I guess. As I was still mulling over 92 or DB4 and waiting a few days for a DB4 to come back in at an "open box" price the transmission went out in my truck. I decided to do the responsible thing and just hold off on the mixer so I was using my APC 40 for a few months.

I ended up really coming to like the way I had it set up with the EQ's and volume all on the rotaries and FX with the faders.

A few months ago I sprang for a couple of K2's and added an F1. This setup works well and is hands down the easiest to map and use multiple layers.

This will change very soon as I just posted one of the K2's up for sale
Tatum Ansaldo
Yo chris, take us a nice photo so I can update the updates thread.
Leeanna Ayla

How are you mapping it?
This is what I've got done so far. I've still got one more latched layer on K2 #2 to map in a MidiFighteresque way. And I'm replacing the FX presets buttons to instead activate a set of super faders. The K2's are connected vie ethernet and then one to USB on the computer. This way I can use one shift button for both units.

K2 #1
Main transport layer, not latched.

K2 #2
FX layer, bottom layer only latched. Xone 92 turns all the faders on this one to the Xone 92 Effect for mixing.

Shonda Soulier
F1 K2 K2 X1?

That's badass...
Kiyoko Wellisch
Whoa that's really cool

How are you mapping it?
Leeanna Ayla
Yes, my only gripe would be that the knobs are a bit close. Luckily I don't have fat fingers. If the Chroma caps would fit that would be great, but they don't.
Judi Sissel
I'm guessing they take a bit to setup, but how are you liking the K2's? good enough to do without the X1?
Leeanna Ayla
yep
Judi Sissel
Internal mixer?
Leeanna Ayla
What I've been up to all week.
Dorie Scelzo
In that case…I bet it's a bribe from Pioneer.

I just hope they delivered it in a big, black, canvas bag with a dollar sign (or yen sign? or euro sign?) on the side of it……otherwise, I'm totally appalled.

(just kidding…if that's what happened, I'm appalled either way)
Kiyoko Wellisch
It can do 2 turntables and a CD player (or a turntable with an internal preamp)
Dorie Scelzo
That might be more likely.

Does the A6 not run 3 turntables with DVS? Weird. I can't believe of a reason the A&H sound card would be worse than an A6.
Hipolito Scionti
Originally Posted by mostapha
Yeah
Kiyoko Wellisch
Wankery is fun though

What do you mean they don't meet the audio 6? That only has 2 preamps as well.
Seems odd, you don't need decent preamps for timecode at all.

I wonder why A&H didn't include another 2 real preamps- I don't have any problem with digital preamps, just curious as to what the logic is of going half and half.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by MaxOne
Yes analogue warmth blah blah but I dunno if I adhere to that anymore.
Yeah………One of the best things I did was actually doing an AB test with some 24-bit (don't remember the sample rate…I believe it was 48k) wav files that Alan Parsons released as part of the Art & Science of Studio Recording series. After the track was mixed, they bounced stems from Pro Tools and then summed them on PT 8 HD and a Neve 88RS. It took me a long time to convince myself I could hear a difference and when I did, I preferred the all-digital one. And the 88RS is one of the best analog mixers ever made that I believe cost around $5000 per (mono) channel if not more.

Analog wankery is just wankery.

Also, the DB2/4 don't meet the Audio 6 because they only have 2 analog phono preamps…the other 2 are digital. I really believe that's why they're not certified…which is weird because they could sound better……IIR filters really are cool.
Hipolito Scionti
I thought they were both digital? Where's the analogue warmth gunna come from?
Yeah meant to add a line re xone 92 ^^ have done now
Kiyoko Wellisch
I thought they were both digital? Where's the analogue warmth gunna come from?
Hipolito Scionti
As far as DB4 vs 900 I believe the 900 FX sound like shit compared to the DB4. That doesn't mean they are shit, just that I don't like them. I'm really struggling with the decision between Xone 92, DB4 or DB2. The last option is find a solid well built mixer with no FX buy it used and save a tone of money. I'm leaning towards the last one at the moment because I need a new motorcycle helmet and the one I want costs $500.

Damn motorcycle, I've been close to buying one of the mixers above several time, but there's always something that pops up for the bike that I want and it cuts into my cash flow.
Haha welcome back to your thread

Fair enough if you don't like the 900 fx. If fx were at the top of my list of priorities I would look at the db4 too. They're just not that important for me.

Truthfully I like the db2 over the db4. Much less cluttered layout and post fader fx. It's tasty.

Shame it doesn't have the xone filters (which I actually believe is a piss take). I understand you can use the eqs in filter mode but still it's a glaring admission.

I havent done a side by side test but as both the 900 and db4 are essentially high quality lossless digital soundcards I can't imagine a perceptible difference.

One of the requirements of being scratch certified is that the soundcard spec is equal to an audio 6/10 so the 900 will be as good as that. Part of why appeals to me about scratch certified mixer is one less conversion in the analogue digital chain.

If I'm using a db4 then it's with my audio 10. No way adding a db4 will "improve" the sound quality. A xone 92 maybe has character you want mind...

Yes analogue warmth blah blah but I dunno if I adhere to that anymore.
Leeanna Ayla
As far as DB4 vs 900 I believe the 900 FX sound like shit compared to the DB4. That doesn't mean they are shit, just that I don't like them. I'm really struggling with the decision between Xone 92, DB4 or DB2. The last option is find a solid well built mixer with no FX buy it used and save a tone of money. I'm leaning towards the last one at the moment because I need a new motorcycle helmet and the one I want costs $500.

Damn motorcycle, I've been close to buying one of the mixers above several time, but there's always something that pops up for the bike that I want and it cuts into my cash flow.
Leeanna Ayla
Well I got a used A10 for $250 the other day. An F1 will be here soon and while I've really come to appreciate some things about using an APC40 to DJ with I'm really an external guy and always will be.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Oh really photojojo? Got any teasers or will it just be a surprise?
Leeanna Ayla
I love how my setup thread has evolved into this. Keep it up boys!! I may have something to add in the not to distant future.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by MaxOne
Compromises everywhere...
Everything is compromises.
Hipolito Scionti
Originally Posted by oliosky
I personally love the feel of the ttm56 and the empath. Its that middle ground between scratch mixer pure functionality and club mixer smoothness and eqs.

Ecler NUOs have a similar feel too.
Agreed. I really like "old" rane products which I believe feel a lot better than their new gear. Empath and the ttm56 feel lovely.

The cue buttons on the 68 are offensively shit hard clicky things. Make the vci-100 buttons look like butter.

I really wanted an empath rotary and would have got one had it not been for the 2 week wait importing it from USA that made me believe twice.

Now I'm looking at the options and it's hard. Compromises everywhere...

Too many with the db4.
Nereida Stidd
look every time better
Johnetta Olewine
I personally love the feel of the ttm56 and the empath. Its that middle ground between scratch mixer pure functionality and club mixer smoothness and eqs.

Ecler NUOs have a similar feel too.
Dorie Scelzo
The 68 is vile to the touch? I've not seen one in person, what's the issue with it? I'd imagine that with the insane price tag it would have the sweetest build.
It's a bit on the disappointing side, but IMHO it just feels like rane. It's a hard-edged, rough kind of feel. It certainly doesn't feel like it's going to break, but it feels very different from everything else.

Either you like it or you hate it. Honestly, the hard-edged thing is part of the reason I don't own an Empath Rotary despite being convinced it's the best bang for the buck mixer for what I want.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy