Simple gain question

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Simple gain questionReply
Simple gain question
Posted on: 07.03.2013 by Yevette Matatall
Im using PN for normalizing my collection, have been doing so for over 2 years now. I only use it to repair clipped peaks and set gain.

Proplem: somewhere along the line whilst upgrading versions my gain setting got changed to - 13.9, now I might not have ever noticed this except that i was just using traktor and the waveforms seemed a little thin.

Question: If ive gained my tracks a little low, therefore when playing out i have to increase gain to + 3 or + 4 for example, is there a loss in sound quality?
Yevette Matatall
Originally Posted by psyEDk
+3 or +4 .. dB?

No. No change in sound quality. So long as you dont need to increase gain more than 6dB you're still maximising the SNR of your digital bitrate resolution.

I assume these tracks are composed and mixed entirely in the digital realm?
If so, even less to worry about turning up the track, as your noise floor should be so ridiculously low that increasing the volume will just increase the volume.

Assuming you're not clipping your outputs of course, but that's another story ..
awsome answer Pedk.... thankyou...I was starting to believe I was going to have to re process my last 200 tracks, that would have been a massive hassle.
Yevette Matatall
Im using PN for normalizing my collection, have been doing so for over 2 years now. I only use it to repair clipped peaks and set gain.

Proplem: somewhere along the line whilst upgrading versions my gain setting got changed to - 13.9, now I might not have ever noticed this except that i was just using traktor and the waveforms seemed a little thin.

Question: If ive gained my tracks a little low, therefore when playing out i have to increase gain to + 3 or + 4 for example, is there a loss in sound quality?
Yevette Matatall
Originally Posted by psyEDk
+3 or +4 .. dB?

No. No change in sound quality. So long as you dont need to increase gain more than 6dB you're still maximising the SNR of your digital bitrate resolution.

If so, even less to worry about turning up the track, as your noise floor should be so ridiculously low that increasing the volume will just increase the volume.

Assuming you're not clipping your outputs of course, but that's another story ..
awsome answer Pedk.... thankyou...I was starting to believe I was going to have to re process my last 200 tracks, that would have been a massive hassle.
Estella Waber
+3 or +4 .. dB?

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy