Question Regarding Laptop Storage

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Question Regarding Laptop StorageReply
Question Regarding Laptop Storage
Posted on: 10.09.2013 by Layla Contrares
(I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section) Hey, I'm extremely new to music production/performing and I'd just like to ask a question that I couldn't seem to find an answer to.

Until I can afford a full-fledged desktop for music production, I'll be using a T420 (maybe T430s) ThinkPad. I'd like to swap out the hard drive with an SSD and I'm wondering: Is a 128-256GB SSD good enough for light, minimalistic hip-hop beat production PLUS performing? Or should I opt for a 500GB SSD?

Keep in mind that I will not be loading this computer with a lot of programs.

Any help is appreciated!
Layla Contrares
(I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section) Hey, I'm extremely new to music production/performing and I'd just like to ask a question that I couldn't seem to find an answer to.

Until I can afford a full-fledged desktop for music production, I'll be using a T420 (maybe T430s) ThinkPad. I'd like to swap out the hard drive with an SSD and I'm wondering: Is a 128-256GB SSD good enough for light, minimalistic hip-hop beat production PLUS performing? Or should I opt for a 500GB SSD?

Keep in mind that I will not be loading this computer with a lot of programs.

Any help is appreciated!
Trey Brune
If you can't afford a 500GB+ SSD, then there's nothing wrong with a 7200RPM HD. It's still reliable, and extremely cheap in comparison, so you can stock up on storage. All the speed in the world won't help you if you can't fit everything you need on the drive.
Klara Kinnebrew
[QUOTE=Tarekith;649164]...personally I like having everything right where I need it at all times.[/QUOTE)

This was my biggest thing. Having all kinds of external stuff always rubbed me wrong. It was always a big PITA. I personally went with a 256 ssd in the hdd spot and took out the optical drive and stuck a 1tb hdd in there.
Monserrate Rupnow
Agreed, I believe 512GB is a much safer bet if you can afford it. Technically nothing wrong with smaller ones, I just believe most people would have issues with that small of storage space. YOu could use an external drive to supplement, but personally I like having everything right where I need it at all times.
Aleisha Nakaoka
Personally, I wouldn't get anything under 500 gb. Really depends on your workflow though. Are you using lots of samples? Those can pile up fast. Plug-ins tend to take up quite a bit of space when installed. Obviously, on storage, I'd go as big as I can afford. Same w/RAM

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy