Ableton vs Maschine + Logic

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Ableton vs Maschine + LogicReply
Ableton vs Maschine + Logic
Posted on: 23.09.2013 by Anglea Siwy
Been making drum beats in Maschine, and I'm at the stage where I want to transfer them into Logic (my main DAW) to start arranging/mixing and recording audio overdubs...Though before I begin, I am wondering if it just makes more sense to buy Ableton w/ Push and do everything in Ableton from scratch? Here are some more details of where I am at:

I've made about 25 drum kits in NI Maschine. Each kit uses all 16 sample spaces/pads. I've mainly used my own sample banks and a lot of layering...3-4 kicks layered to get my kick sound, 3-4 snares, 2 hats, claps, etc., etc...each kit i've built has a basic pattern programmed for the core of a song...i then made a bunch of alternate patterns that add/remove certain elements, and have different fills, that might be useful in the arrangement of the song once I start recording audio, mixing and arranging the songs.

So, now I am at the stage where I'm trying to get the Maschine drums into Logic...the goal is to be able to mix each element independently (i'd like to mult all 4 layered kicks to one kick track, all snares to one snare track, etc.)...I'm not sure of the best way to do this, but all the options i've looked at seem to be time consuming (exporting audio), or are going to drain my CPU (running 16 VST tracks, importing the midi into logic)...also, not sure how to edit the arrangement, when on bar 16 i want a certain fill, and at bar 64 or 128 i want another fill, etc, etc....not sure if there is a better method i am missing but...

it occurred to me...wouldn't it be easier to just switch to Ableton Live as my DAW and drum pattern/kit creator so I can program the drums and track/mix audio all in Ableton, in one session; and also have it in there for live performances...rather than build grooves in Maschine, record audio and mix in Logic, and then transfer loops/stems to Ableton for live performance?

Since i'm not using a ton of the built in Maschine samples, I'm believeing it might pay to return it (still within my 30 days) and get a copy of Live with Push (or keep the Maschine controller and just build drum kits and patterns in ableton sessions instead of maschine software)...thoughts? Some people recommended that Maschine is better than Push for hardware, but that's the least important of my concerns...My main concern is efficiency of composing, recording and performing.

Thanks so much.
Anglea Siwy
Been making drum beats in Maschine, and I'm at the stage where I want to transfer them into Logic (my main DAW) to start arranging/mixing and recording audio overdubs...Though before I begin, I am wondering if it just makes more sense to buy Ableton w/ Push and do everything in Ableton from scratch? Here are some more details of where I am at:

I've made about 25 drum kits in NI Maschine. Each kit uses all 16 sample spaces/pads. I've mainly used my own sample banks and a lot of layering...3-4 kicks layered to get my kick sound, 3-4 snares, 2 hats, claps, etc., etc...each kit i've built has a basic pattern programmed for the core of a song...i then made a bunch of alternate patterns that add/remove certain elements, and have different fills, that might be useful in the arrangement of the song once I start recording audio, mixing and arranging the songs.

So, now I am at the stage where I'm trying to get the Maschine drums into Logic...the goal is to be able to mix each element independently (i'd like to mult all 4 layered kicks to one kick track, all snares to one snare track, etc.)...I'm not sure of the best way to do this, but all the options i've looked at seem to be time consuming (exporting audio), or are going to drain my CPU (running 16 VST tracks, importing the midi into logic)...also, not sure how to edit the arrangement, when on bar 16 i want a certain fill, and at bar 64 or 128 i want another fill, etc, etc....not sure if there is a better method i am missing but...

it occurred to me...wouldn't it be easier to just switch to Ableton Live as my DAW and drum pattern/kit creator so I can program the drums and track/mix audio all in Ableton, in one session; and also have it in there for live performances...rather than build grooves in Maschine, record audio and mix in Logic, and then transfer loops/stems to Ableton for live performance?

Since i'm not using a ton of the built in Maschine samples, I'm believeing it might pay to return it (still within my 30 days) and get a copy of Live with Push (or keep the Maschine controller and just build drum kits and patterns in ableton sessions instead of maschine software)...thoughts? Some people recommended that Maschine is better than Push for hardware, but that's the least important of my concerns...My main concern is efficiency of composing, recording and performing.

Thanks so much.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy