How to name my Track?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: How to name my Track?Reply
How to name my Track?
Posted on: 24.09.2013 by Cuc Erlichman
Hey Guys,

I have made an Electro House Track where I'm using at the breakdown the piano riff from "Dr Dre ft. Snoop Dogg - Still D.R.E".

I don't know if it's relevant, but I only have taken the notes and use them on my own piano-sound. The rest of the track (Drop etc.) is from my own.

So my question: How do I have to name that track?
Can I name it "Producername - Still" or do I have to name it "Dr Dre ft. Snoop Dogg - Still D.R.E (Producername Remix)" or "Dr Dre ft. Snoop Dogg - Still D.R.E (Producername Bootleg Remix)"?

Thanks for your help!
Cuc Erlichman
Originally Posted by TCMuc
Not having any information linking you to the mix is probably not what you want, as I guess you did this to upload it on soundcloud for promotion?
Exactly.
Nikole Resende
Originally Posted by De Smint
Even if I'm not earning money with it? So every Bootleg Remix is a violation of Copyright?
Yes, every bootleg is a violation of copyright, that's why they are called bootlegs.

The word "bootleg" originates from the practice of smuggling illicit items in the legs of tall boots, particularly the smuggling of alcohol during the American Prohibition era. The word, over time, has come to refer to any illegal or illicit product. Source

The fact you're not making any money of it may decrease the probability of someone trying to track you down, but there's no guarantee.

And I have to disagree with synthet1c, there are no degrees of legal.

Not having any information linking you to the mix is probably not what you want, as I guess you did this to upload it on soundcloud for promotion?
Cuc Erlichman
You can name your track whatever you like. The name of a track has no legal implications.

Just be aware of the fact that not only the recording of a track (-> samples) but also the composition (melodies, grooves, etc.) are protected by intelectual property laws.

Using the melody of a track without the consent of the original rights holder is a violation of copyright laws and the right holders may press charges against you, no matter what you name your track.
Even if I'm not earning money with it? So every Bootleg Remix is a violation of Copyright?
Cuc Erlichman
Hey Guys,

I have made an Electro House Track where I'm using at the breakdown the piano riff from "Dr Dre ft. Snoop Dogg - Still D.R.E".

I don't know if it's relevant, but I only have taken the notes and use them on my own piano-sound. The rest of the track (Drop etc.) is from my own.

So my question: How do I have to name that track?
Can I name it "Producername - Still" or do I have to name it "Dr Dre ft. Snoop Dogg - Still D.R.E (Producername Remix)" or "Dr Dre ft. Snoop Dogg - Still D.R.E (Producername Bootleg Remix)"?

Thanks for your help!
Dannie Dimora
Brunilda Kora
There are no Police out there checking Soundcloud for bootlegs.

Have no fear. Post it wherever you want - just don't try to SELL it.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
You can still have your name attached to it, just not your real name. if a record company likes what you have made and want's to contact you they can still do it through personal messaging. If you get a cease and desist letter from aftermath just pull the track down and that will be the end of it, why would any record company go after a someone learning to make music for the first time, it would be commercial suicide that would go viral and potentially ruin the company's and more important the parent company's "Universal's" reputation. The world isn't in the same place it was a few years ago, if it were girltalk would have been sued out of existence.
Cuc Erlichman
Exactly.
Nikole Resende
Originally Posted by De Smint
Yes, every bootleg is a violation of copyright, that's why they are called bootlegs.

The word "bootleg" originates from the practice of smuggling illicit items in the legs of tall boots, particularly the smuggling of alcohol during the American Prohibition era. The word, over time, has come to refer to any illegal or illicit product. Source

The fact you're not making any money of it may decrease the probability of someone trying to track you down, but there's no guarantee.

And I have to disagree with synthet1c, there are no degrees of legal.

Jonathan Chiuchiolo
yes bootlegs are illegal, but there are degrees of legal. If you aren't making any money from it and don't have any identifiable information linking you to it there is really no reason for anyone to track you down.
Brunilda Kora
If there are using strongly recognisable elements from the original, (and ONLY in my opinion) you should name the track:

ORIGINAL ARTIST - ORIGINAL TITLE (YOUR NAME (GENRE) Remix).

I often re-name tracks like this if a remixer has not named it in that manner.
Cuc Erlichman
You can name your track whatever you like. The name of a track has no legal implications.

Just be aware of the fact that not only the recording of a track (-> samples) but also the composition (melodies, grooves, etc.) are protected by intelectual property laws.

Using the melody of a track without the consent of the original rights holder is a violation of copyright laws and the right holders may press charges against you, no matter what you name your track.
Nikole Resende

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy