My first unmastered mix - would welcome any feedback

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: My first unmastered mix - would welcome any feedbackReply
My first unmastered mix - would welcome any feedback
Posted on: 19.09.2013 by Cira Ditz
Hi - I've been starting to make productions (got Maschine and some soft synths, and working them all in my Cubase artists 6).

https://soundcloud.com/info-1410/sensation-the-ocean-of

It's for one of the beatport remix competitions and thought that'd be a fun way to start getting to grips with the software/synths and all the various stages for putting together a production.

I'm pretty happy with it so far, but haven't mastered it yet. Was hoping to get it professionally mastered but as the deadline is monday I've run out of time (and tbh fairly broke so haven't even got the spare cash for a single track), so am believeing of trying to do a very minimal mastering to it myself (know that's far from the best way to do this). Just hoped, could anyone give me any feedback as to what they believe, and whether I should be cutting any frequecies etc. I don't want to go for a hugely compressed mix, but do you believe I should add a little or a bit of limiter too ?

Any and all feedback VERY appreciated.

Jane
Cira Ditz
Originally Posted by Tarekith
Simple mastering:

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/Mastering.pdf

Doesn't have to be complicated at all
Cheers so much Tarekith - that's a fantastic lot of good advice, will try and incorporate those ideas in my next mixes and productions
Cira Ditz
Originally Posted by Jack Hoesterey
Very impressive
Originally Posted by evolakim
Sounds good. I'm quite good at writing, arranging, mixing. But when it comes to mastering I can't ever seem to get it perfect.
I usually just use Ozone but would love to be able to send it off to a pro.

It's cool though. Keep up the good work.
Cheers so very much for the comments - very appreciated

Think mastering def is a very complicated thing to get right and very easy to get wrong so I'll start to try things out gradually and experiment, but likely I'll keep on being more cautious in compression and eq til then (unless I've got a bit of spare cash to get it done by a pro). Tbh I believe even if I do get a pro mastering, I'll still have a go as it's always good to be developing skills and learning, but I'll just keep those masters for myself
Cira Ditz
Sounds very 90's. I like it! Good work!
Thanks so much Evolakim - glad you liked it

I had a go at mastering with a Wavelab free trial and managed to get something that was pretty good in terms of extra oomph, but decided that I may just be breaking things I'm not hearing (know mastering takes years of work and 'mastery') and a few of the cymbal crashes were just a bit too over compressed, so I decided to upload for the competition a slightly tweaked unmastered version.

Here's my finished entry - BEATPORT REMIX COMPETITION
Cira Ditz
Hi - I've been starting to make productions (got Maschine and some soft synths, and working them all in my Cubase artists 6).

https://soundcloud.com/info-1410/sensation-the-ocean-of

It's for one of the beatport remix competitions and thought that'd be a fun way to start getting to grips with the software/synths and all the various stages for putting together a production.

I'm pretty happy with it so far, but haven't mastered it yet. Was hoping to get it professionally mastered but as the deadline is monday I've run out of time (and tbh fairly broke so haven't even got the spare cash for a single track), so am believeing of trying to do a very minimal mastering to it myself (know that's far from the best way to do this). Just hoped, could anyone give me any feedback as to what they believe, and whether I should be cutting any frequecies etc. I don't want to go for a hugely compressed mix, but do you believe I should add a little or a bit of limiter too ?

Any and all feedback VERY appreciated.

Jane
Cyndy Beneski
nice acid sound. Only crit I would say make that main synth stand out more. I believe those backign synths / crash sounds and the choir vocals are unnecessary. Simplicity is key.

I dont know if this is the full song, but make a long build up and dont play the whole synth in the build up, just tease it. A good example of what im trying to explain or what I believe your song could sound like, would be Nicky Romero - Generation 303. Take a listen

Monserrate Rupnow
Lots more here:

http://tarekith.com/helpandsounds/
Cira Ditz
Originally Posted by Tarekith
Simple mastering:

Cheers so much Tarekith - that's a fantastic lot of good advice, will try and incorporate those ideas in my next mixes and productions
Monserrate Rupnow
Simple mastering:

Cira Ditz
Originally Posted by Jack Hoesterey
Very impressive
Sounds good. I'm quite good at writing, arranging, mixing. But when it comes to mastering I can't ever seem to get it perfect.

Cheers so very much for the comments - very appreciated

Think mastering def is a very complicated thing to get right and very easy to get wrong so I'll start to try things out gradually and experiment, but likely I'll keep on being more cautious in compression and eq til then (unless I've got a bit of spare cash to get it done by a pro). Tbh I believe even if I do get a pro mastering, I'll still have a go as it's always good to be developing skills and learning, but I'll just keep those masters for myself
Aleisha Nakaoka

Ami Lele
Very impressive
Cira Ditz
Thanks so much Evolakim - glad you liked it

I had a go at mastering with a Wavelab free trial and managed to get something that was pretty good in terms of extra oomph, but decided that I may just be breaking things I'm not hearing (know mastering takes years of work and 'mastery') and a few of the cymbal crashes were just a bit too over compressed, so I decided to upload for the competition a slightly tweaked unmastered version.

Here's my finished entry - BEATPORT REMIX COMPETITION
Aleisha Nakaoka
Cira Ditz
not sure why it's not showing the wave form sorry - hope you can still access it from the site

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy