How easy electronic music producing can get?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: How easy electronic music producing can get?Reply
How easy electronic music producing can get?
Posted on: 18.12.2013 by Vikki Falkenrath
What is the easiest way of producing electronic music?
I see a lot of sample packs to sell and they seem to have parts of music already made, so, should I just mix this stuff with ableton and BOOM I have a track?
I wanna start producing something just for fun, and making something easy would be a lot cooler that spending hours watching complex tutorials on youtube.
Temple Cervelli
A MIDI keyboard would be very good, once you use one, you will see how you just wouldn't want to be without one. Do you NEED one? No.

Will getting "piano lessons" turn you into a producer as good as all the top producers brining out records on beatport? Certainly not.

You do not 'need' anything other than the passion, skill, desire and work from within yourself.
Have you every heard of the producer wAFF? Check some of his stuff out, released on Jamie Jones' Hot Crestions label, Sven V
Berta Baie
Originally Posted by pleb
If you're asking if producing is easy, you should reconsider if you really want to start producing.
Agreed 100%

Listen, not to be a dick or anything, but based on your perceived level of interest, dedication, and patience in producing from this thread, I suggest you find a new hobby. At first it seemed like you just wanted to mess around for fun by yourself, which is cool, but then you jumped to "selling" and "respect" based on an understanding of producing that consists of throwing together "pre-made synth loops and mixing it with a kick."

To answer your question you will not be able to sell it, you will certainly gain no respect whatsoever, and you will more than likely give up trying to produce anything meaningful in a week.

If this post pissed you off enough to prove me wrong then consider this: You MUST watch tutorials, you MUST know how a basic song is arranged, you MUST be able to critically listen to music in order to pick out all the minute details of why that track sounds as good as it does, you MUST learn how to mix and master your tracks, and you MUST spend countless hours with your DAW in trial and error with certain techniques, or mind numbingly listening to the same section over and over again while you tweak the smallest details.

Producing is very time consuming and very difficult work. If you aren't willing to put the time and effort into it that is needed, don't bother starting.
Temple Cervelli
A MIDI keyboard would be very good, once you use one, you will see how you just wouldn't want to be without one. Do you NEED one? No.

Will getting "piano lessons" turn you into a producer as good as all the top producers brining out records on beatport? Certainly not.

You do not 'need' anything other than the passion, skill, desire and work from within yourself.
Have you every heard of the producer wAFF? Check some of his stuff out, released on Jamie Jones' Hot Crestions label, Sven V
Will Spinello
If you're asking if producing is easy, you should reconsider if you really want to start producing.
Absolute Bang! This post wins.

Spot on, mate, spot on.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by Daily Crisis
I know of course it isn't essential. I'm sure there are probably a lot of producers that create amazing and inspiring tracks without knowing a single chord on the piano. But in my opinion and in a lot of peoples opinions it would help a lot.
If you read what I said, I said it could be a benefit to be able to, but depends completely on what music you are going to make. What is more beneficial is music theory.

But what you orginally said was you have to be able to play piano, which you don't.
Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
You won't be "as good as any music producer or DJ" within "2 weeks", even with the "right piano tutor". This is a ridiculously bold statement, and it's unreasonable to believe that 2 weeks of practicing ANYTHING (even with the best instructor in the world) will put you on the same level as "ANY" professional out there. That's potentially insulting to those who have been honing their craft for years. What production experience do you have that makes you so confident in this claim?

To the OP: Just to echo what others are saying, it is easy to simply produce music, but very difficult to produce good/original music. If your goal is to have fun, fire up the loops and samples and see what happens. At very least you will be learning how to structure a track properly, even if you are using sounds/beats that someone else created.
Indeed it was quite a bold statement. More of an example than anything else... If you just do it for a bit you can hammer off melodies in your tracks
Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by amadeus
You don't need a midi keyboard/controller, but once you get to grips with the software it will help.

You also don't need to learn how to play piano, there's plenty of very good producers who cannot, but could be of benefit, depends on the kind of music you want to make.
It's like saying you need to be able to play the drums to make a great track, where really you don't, I can't play the drums but can program a drum beat, just like you can program a melody.

And just to clear up something, DJs and producers are not the same thing. DJ's don't need to be able "to pull off melodies"
I know of course it isn't essential. I'm sure there are probably a lot of producers that create amazing and inspiring tracks without knowing a single chord on the piano. But in my opinion and in a lot of peoples opinions it would help a lot.
Delena Katherman
elaborate
You won't be "as good as any music producer or DJ" within "2 weeks", even with the "right piano tutor". This is a ridiculously bold statement, and it's unreasonable to believe that 2 weeks of practicing ANYTHING (even with the best instructor in the world) will put you on the same level as "ANY" professional out there. That's potentially insulting to those who have been honing their craft for years. What production experience do you have that makes you so confident in this claim?

To the OP: Just to echo what others are saying, it is easy to simply produce music, but very difficult to produce good/original music. If your goal is to have fun, fire up the loops and samples and see what happens. At very least you will be learning how to structure a track properly, even if you are using sounds/beats that someone else created.
Lawana Mileto
Definitely.

That's if you include MIDI controller with a MIDI keyboard.

I got some excellent advice off a top music promoter in my city and he suggested in order to keep pulling off sick tunes (for example artists like Dusky, Simone Vitullo etc.) you have to learn piano.

With the right piano tutor... Within 2 weeks you'll be as good as any music producer or DJ now... Just pulling off melodies in your tracks. He also said a good 20 mins at least a day with a midi keyboard. I don't suppose you've got space for a grand piano but if you've already got one to practice on, great. But you might as well get a MIDI keyboard for your VAIO. Get a lil home studio going... Pulling off melodies like no tomorrow.
You don't need a midi keyboard/controller, but once you get to grips with the software it will help.

You also don't need to learn how to play piano, there's plenty of very good producers who cannot, but could be of benefit, depends on the kind of music you want to make.
It's like saying you need to be able to play the drums to make a great track, where really you don't, I can't play the drums but can program a drum beat, just like you can program a melody.

And just to clear up something, DJs and producers are not the same thing. DJ's don't need to be able "to pull off melodies"
Alycia Niederriter
Nope.
elaborate
Delena Katherman
With the right piano tutor... Within 2 weeks you'll be as good as any music producer or DJ now... Just pulling off melodies in your tracks.
Nope.
Noble Check
Doctor Drum may be something you want to check out. http://www.drdrum.com/

And no, I'm not serious, like I hope OP is being.
Aleisha Nakaoka
OP has to be trolling !!!!! If not then I am very sad about the state of electronic music production.

I guess all this amazing innovation come with a price! Now everyone in the world is a "producer." All these years of practicing, researching, creating and honing my craft and now ppl can literally buy a com[uter, push button, get song. I'm sad.

P.S. I suppose you could just throw loops together and call it a song. I'm sure there are tons of people out there doing just that. Just don't expect to feel proud that you have created something beautiful and original. Expect to feel like a fraud!
Galen Fraile
You MUST watch tutorials, you MUST know how a basic song is arranged, you MUST be able to critically listen to music in order to pick out all the minute details of why that track sounds as good as it does, you MUST learn how to mix and master your tracks, and you MUST spend countless hours with your DAW in trial and error with certain techniques, or mind numbingly listening to the same section over and over again while you tweak the smallest details.

Producing is very time consuming and very difficult work. If you aren't willing to put the time and effort into it that is needed, don't bother starting.
Best advice i've ever read
Berta Baie
Agreed 100%

Listen, not to be a dick or anything, but based on your perceived level of interest, dedication, and patience in producing from this thread, I suggest you find a new hobby. At first it seemed like you just wanted to mess around for fun by yourself, which is cool, but then you jumped to "selling" and "respect" based on an understanding of producing that consists of throwing together "pre-made synth loops and mixing it with a kick."

To answer your question you will not be able to sell it, you will certainly gain no respect whatsoever, and you will more than likely give up trying to produce anything meaningful in a week.

If this post pissed you off enough to prove me wrong then consider this: You MUST watch tutorials, you MUST know how a basic song is arranged, you MUST be able to critically listen to music in order to pick out all the minute details of why that track sounds as good as it does, you MUST learn how to mix and master your tracks, and you MUST spend countless hours with your DAW in trial and error with certain techniques, or mind numbingly listening to the same section over and over again while you tweak the smallest details.

Petra Arra
there's no need to use a midi controller. not yet anyway since you are just testing the waters and stuff.

once you tried a DAW of choice then that's the only time that you will know if you ever need one. I bought a cheap midi keyboard but haven't really used it for producing. i just click click click with a mouse. but sometimes it's better to have a controller mapped to specific function because its sometimes frustrating to turn a dial using a trackpad.

if you must get a midi keyboard, get something that has pads, knobs and faders. like an akai mpk mini.
Temple Cervelli

Celine Weishar
As a person who just started producing, about 3 months ago, this is tough and it's definitely one of those things that you get what you put in. Meaning, if you want to start producing quality tracks, you have to put in quality time. There aren't any shortcuts, luckily we have technology at our disposal to make things slightly easier but even that will only get you so far.

But with that being said, if you really have a passion for this, then go for it. There is truly nothing more satisfying (in regards to music) than creating something of your own; putting in the time, putting in the effort, making the mistakes, getting feedback from family/friends/etc, evolving, and reaping the benefits. It's a joy to say the least, and you will learn very quickly how to appreciate the work of your peers.
Will Spinello
Absolute Bang! This post wins.

Spot on, mate, spot on.
Lawana Mileto
If you read what I said, I said it could be a benefit to be able to, but depends completely on what music you are going to make. What is more beneficial is music theory.

But what you orginally said was you have to be able to play piano, which you don't.
Cori Ozanich
Alycia Niederriter

Indeed it was quite a bold statement. More of an example than anything else... If you just do it for a bit you can hammer off melodies in your tracks
Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by amadeus

Vikki Falkenrath
I understood. I tried a little bit with free samples on ableton and definately mixing is a problem. How to have all the samples sounding BIG but not making the master get over 0 db. Well maybe its too much for me right now, I might start remixing stuff before that.

Anyone knows a good tutorial for remixing EDM tracks?
Delena Katherman
elaborate

Lakeesha Storman
Knowing how to play piano would help, knowing basic music theory would definitely help, and having a MIDI keyboard controller would help, but not all are absolutely essential.

I highly suggest you do exactly as you say and see what it sounds like compared to what you currently play. You'll quickly discover the answer.

To answer the question: you can do this, but it will be quite boring. You need fills, breakdowns, buildups and drops which will require different, but similar rhythms, leads, etc. I find it very unlikely that anyone would be willing to pay for something produced the way you mention. What you could do is buy that sample pack, take some of the samples and slice them and dice them in an interesting way. That would help, but still won't make you a huge producer.

And I haven't even gotten to the mixdown and mastering...learning how to give each musical element its own space and making the best sounding song given the melody and beat, etc.
Lawana Mileto
Definitely.

I got some excellent advice off a top music promoter in my city and he suggested in order to keep pulling off sick tunes (for example artists like Dusky, Simone Vitullo etc.) you have to learn piano.

With the right piano tutor... Within 2 weeks you'll be as good as any music producer or DJ now... Just pulling off melodies in your tracks. He also said a good 20 mins at least a day with a midi keyboard. I don't suppose you've got space for a grand piano but if you've already got one to practice on, great. But you might as well get a MIDI keyboard for your VAIO. Get a lil home studio going... Pulling off melodies like no tomorrow.

Yong Aptekar
Easy boys.....OP, if you want this kind of music to be that easy to make, you aren't listening to the music. you gotta put time no refining a track, or it will just sound like loops glued together. In the end though, if the track sounds good, and people enjoy it, it doesn't matter if you made it with $10,000 worth of gear and hours, or some pots and pans.

If you want to get into producing though, put the time into reading up on the community here. There is a massive amount of information to help you along.
Augustine Mitzen
what's not to get?
Alycia Niederriter
Nope.
elaborate
Delena Katherman
With the right piano tutor... Within 2 weeks you'll be as good as any music producer or DJ now... Just pulling off melodies in your tracks.
Nope.
Augustine Mitzen
Originally Posted by Daniboy
But is putting this loops together considered producing? Like, can I sell it? Will I get any respect for doing this or it will be obvious that I simply put things together?
you will get no respect for doing this

also MIDI controller is by no means necessary. I know a lot of producers who produce just with mouse and keyboard.
Learn your DAW first and when you really need the controller, then get one
Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by Daniboy
Is a MIDI controller really necessary?
Definitely.

I used to find trying to do good melodies hard and confusing (me being confused how people in Beatport for example could do it and I can't). And now I'm able to. Luckily enough for me, this music promoter knew the best piano tutor in the whole of Brighton. He's the course designer for BIMM for the whole country for Piano. You really can't go wrong for
Arla Padierna
Well when you say easy what do you want your track to sound like? i can make a track in half an hour with no mixing, EQing and all the plugins added onto it. If your looking to buy sound packs all that gives you is sound. Not a whole track which you are believeing.

In electro music that big build up and sweep isn`t just one sound its many things working togeather to have that big drop. For a beginning producer there is nothing easy about making a track.
Vikki Falkenrath
Originally Posted by JBang
Yes, it's that easy if you want to just put together some loops and show it to your friends.

But if you're serious about producing your own music, then no, it's not that easy.
But is putting this loops together considered producing? Like, can I sell it? Will I get any respect for doing this or it will be obvious that I simply put things together?
Maryam Fevold
Yes, it's that easy if you want to just put together some loops and show it to your friends.

But if you're serious about producing your own music, then no, it's not that easy.
Hulda Ramprasad
No, it's not as easy as that at all. I'm new to it myself, and as much as we all want an easy life something like producing your own track can take many many hours.

To give me a head start I paid for some online courses in Logic that gave me a really good grounding, but there is so much to learn across many different elements that expecting an easy ride at this will mean your results aren't going to be of any significant quality, and you certainly won't stand out in any crowd.

You need to invest time and some money into learning if you want to do it the right way.
Brunilda Kora
Am I missing something?
What do you believe?
Vikki Falkenrath
Originally Posted by arsman
The easiest way to make a track is to sit down, open your daw and produce.

its your passion, talent and hard work that lets you finish a track. its your creativity that starts it.
yea I realise that, but is it easy as: Buy Sample pack - Mix kicks to leads to etc. - export with dither (24bit to 16bit) - DONE
??
Am I missing something?

I already have ableton 9, 2i2 scarlett interface, beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro headphones and a good VAIO, what else do I really need to produce a track? Is a MIDI controller really necessary?
Petra Arra
The easiest way to make a track is to sit down, open your daw and produce.

its your passion, talent and hard work that lets you finish a track. its your creativity that starts it.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy