Serato CDJ Timecode Performance

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Serato CDJ Timecode PerformanceReply
Serato CDJ Timecode Performance
Posted on: 08.06.2012 by Jona Slon
pretty much im looking for someone that can convince me serato is better then traktor for using cdj timecode.

I used traktor scratch pro at a mates today and it sucked with cdjs like i remember when i used to use timecode vinyls even that was more accurate then the way traktor scratch handles cdjs.

I'm guessing serato would be better?
Tesha Freudenstein
Originally Posted by Hoodless
Try looping anything smaller than a 1 beat loop, the loop just cuts

Only real advantages of using SSL over actual CDs are cue points and FX (Seratos FX are 100x less cheesier than Traktors)
you can loop smaller than one beat. no problem. you only have to watch out and not go too small (close to the point where it starts to sound like noise on normal CDs).

Originally Posted by mostapha
That was not my experience.
if you get the settings right, it is pretty close to playing CDs. at least in absolute mode that is. don't know about relative mode though.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Era 7
it not as bad as you make it out to be. i play with CDJ-800s and SSL and play, cue and looping works just fine.
Dione Haimes
it not as bad as you make it out to be. i play with CDJ-800s and SSL and play, cue and looping works just fine. it sounds like he having issues with his latency because when you set the latency <5ms you shouldn't have any issues and it should feel just like playing CDs.

Only real advantages of using SSL over actual CDs are cue points and FX (Seratos FX are 100x less cheesier than Traktors)
Tesha Freudenstein
Don't push play. Scratch the track in using vinyl mode on the CDJ.

Timecode takes some time to figure out what's going on. It happens quicker than it used to, but it's still not instantaneous.

That's one of the reasons CDJs with timecode CDs is stupid. You can't get good performance out of CDJ looping, hot cues, or play buttons. You've never been able to, and I don't believe you ever will.

Just play CDs.
it not as bad as you make it out to be. i play with CDJ-800s and SSL and play, cue and looping works just fine. it sounds like he having issues with his latency because when you set the latency <5ms you shouldn't have any issues and it should feel just like playing CDs.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by karma
Im starting to believe this is the go
I really don't understand why people believe hot cues and play buttons work with CDJ time code. They never did, and I'm not convinced they ever will. It'll always take time for TC to catch up.
Jona Slon

Timecode takes some time to figure out what's going on. It happens quicker than it used to, but it's still not instantaneous.

That's one of the reasons CDJs with timecode CDs is stupid. You can't get good performance out of CDJ looping, hot cues, or play buttons. You've never been able to, and I don't believe you ever will.

Just play CDs.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Wonderboy
It almost feels like when I cue a track up on the first beat it starts halfway through the beat when I push play

Just play CDs.
Dorie Scelzo
I'm not sure what settings there are to set besides making the tracking image a circle and dropping the latency all the way.

IDK…I'll probably end up trying it again at some point, but I still just don't see the point.
Tesha Freudenstein

you can loop smaller than one beat. no problem. you only have to watch out and not go too small (close to the point where it starts to sound like noise on normal CDs).

if you get the settings right, it is pretty close to playing CDs. at least in absolute mode that is. don't know about relative mode though.
Dorie Scelzo
it not as bad as you make it out to be. i play with CDJ-800s and SSL and play, cue and looping works just fine.
Dione Haimes

Tesha Freudenstein

Just play CDs.
Dorie Scelzo
I really don't understand why people believe hot cues and play buttons work with CDJ time code. They never did, and I'm not convinced they ever will. It'll always take time for TC to catch up.
Halley Wurzer
I don't deal with burning CDs. If I am playing on new gen CDJs I use rekordbox. Otherwise, its traktor and timecode CDs if there are no turntables. I use my X1 for hot cues. Works fine but offers no advantage (besides larger jogs and longer faders) that I can see over my S4. C'est la vie though.

Just realized this is in the serato sub community . Hope it's still relevant.
Jona Slon

Just play CDs.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Wonderboy
It almost feels like when I cue a track up on the first beat it starts halfway through the beat when I push play

Just play CDs.
Audrey Pinda
From what I understand, the HID (native) mode works better for Serato than Traktor for many CDJ's. Time-code CD's themselves though, well, it's a toss-up. That's what I've discussed with some of the DJ's I know locally who use all sorts of contraptions, I personally don't have much CDJ experience.

I still believe it's silly to use a DVS with CDJ's though, but that's just me. If you can afford CDJ's to practice on at home, then go with that. If you want to use software, either a controller or vinyl emulation is the way to go I feel. Using software with CDJ's is just... overkill I guess?

It's part of the allure of CDJ's honestly. Being able to use digital files without a computer involved with the setup. Once you bring a computer in, you might as well just use 1200's if you're going for traditional mixing/scratching, or a controller if you're pushing the envelope with FX and looping stuff. That's just how I see it though, everyone has their own (valid) opinion on it.
Ariel Chatwin
Morning guys! Came on here to make a very similar post. I've just made the switch from Cd's over to SL3. The club I DJ in has a very compact booth with CDJ's installed and no room for 1210's so I'm stuck using timecode cd's. I am really struggling to cue a track from the start (ie on the first beat) using the timecode cd's as using regular cd's on the CDJ's was so accurate for cueing a track up. It almost feels like when I cue a track up on the first beat it starts halfway through the beat when I push play if you know what I mean? Anyone got any tips to improve the accuracy of cueing? I use master tempo and adjust the pitch control to +/- 6, does this have any effect on cueing?

Cheers in advance, WB.
Cristian Carmona
its good to see djs in the UK & thru euro are starting to use SSL.
Golden Faubert
i have to agree with JesC i've recently moved from traktor to serato and gig with it 3 evening s a week, the response is so much better than TSP! i really couldnt reccomend it enough and dont believe i could go back
Jona Slon
Haha okay well im just wondering is it better then traktor for timecoded cd's
Nedra Fresneda
Yeah but it wasn't in an ad or anything it was just the video i saw on dj tech tools on "what's in your dj bag"
That is how advertising works in the DJ world.
Jona Slon
Originally Posted by DJ JesC
Karma, i wouldnt worry too much what the pros are using cause i believe its all marketing hype. If you have a chance, try out both. I went to SSL cause its plug and play and Ive never (knock on wood) had any issues with the SSL timecodes.
Yeah but it wasn't in an ad or anything it was just the video i saw on dj tech tools on "what's in your dj bag"
Cristian Carmona
Yeah cool JesC ive seen videos of MSTRKRFT using serato timecoded cds but its rare that you see tsp2 being used with cds by big name djs that must say something i suppose
Karma, i wouldnt worry too much what the pros are using cause i believe its all marketing hype. If you have a chance, try out both. I went to SSL cause its plug and play and Ive never (knock on wood) had any issues with the SSL timecodes.
Jona Slon
Yeah cool JesC ive seen videos of MSTRKRFT using serato timecoded cds but its rare that you see tsp2 being used with cds by big name djs that must say something i suppose
Cristian Carmona
I've used both traktor and SSL timecode, cd and vinyl. hands down i would go with SSL, less issues with CD. Im waiting to see if SSL is going to release a update like they did with the performance vinyl timecode.
Jona Slon
I remember traktor having problems with the CDs,

I use serato timecode, Vinyl and CD twice a week and havent had problems with any.
Yeah this was what i was getting at im not sure why but traktor really sucks with timecode cds.

Hoodless would you recommend Serato?
Dione Haimes
I remember traktor having problems with the CDs,

I use serato timecode, Vinyl and CD twice a week and havent had problems with any.
Dorie Scelzo
No idea. Never even thought about it.

I believe using a DVS with CDJs is pointless. But I know a lot of people who do it without problems…then again, the same is true for TS CDs.

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy